Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Laughton is younger, but I think the dude is entirely worthless.   If we can sucker someone into taking him, do it.  I'm so over him.

i wanted that kid to be good especially when I see Oli Maata making plays for the stinkin' Pens.

He can skate but he has been bad and stupid in this series. 

If he's a fourth line option I'm not going to whine, but he's not good any further up the line up than that. 

And having said that, there are pile of dudes in Lehigh Valley that could play that 4th line role. 

Package him and Manning for a 5th round pick and some sticks, the good composite ones, and I'd say that's a win.

So, I won't be watching game 5 because I'll be on the road, but I'm thinking a Bob Ross marathon in black and white with the mute on might be more entertaining.   And a theatrical, musical, version of Ted Bundy's "My Days at College" might be more uplifting.

Anyone watching or do you all have socks to sort?

What if the Flyers get completely blown out again in Pitt?   Does Ronald then reevaluate the HakFool period?   I mean losing is one thing but they have been embarrassed this series...

I can't help but think Hextall has a little bit of pride and does not take kindly to getting embarrassed in a series.   

I don't think he will do anything but how could you not think about it?

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

i wanted that kid to be good especially when I see Oli Maata making plays for the stinkin' Pens.

He can skate but he has been bad and stupid in this series. 

If he's a fourth line option I'm not going to whine, but he's not good any further up the line up than that. 

And having said that, there are pile of dudes in Lehigh Valley that could play that 4th line role. 

Package him and Manning for a 5th round pick and some sticks, the good composite ones, and I'd say that's a win.

Isn't Manning a UFA this year?

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, I won't be watching game 5 because I'll be on the road, but I'm thinking a Bob Ross marathon in black and white with the mute on might be more entertaining.   And a theatrical, musical, version of Ted Bundy's "My Days at College" might be more uplifting.

Anyone watching or do you all have socks to sort?

I will probably watch but I am expecting this to be over by the 1st period.   I think the Pens are going to come out flying to put them away early.   

Could be WS last game as a Flyer and hoping it is HakFools last as well.

8 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Isn't Manning a UFA this year?

yeah he is...I started to type MacDonald, but he's actually been okay this year. Not 4.5 mill a year okay but I can't really hate on his play. Even Manning is game, he's just not good enough to play the minutes he has been.  

I won't miss him, but would like some sweet composite sticks. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

If by "heart" you simply mean "fire," then yes.   We discussed "heart" here already and I took exception to it, but having watched yesterday's game I don't have the strength or the intellectual dishonesty to object.    That was a team yesterday that flat out looked whipped.  I mean, they skated around for the last 30-40 minutes (at least) with white flags.   As a group, they looked like they'd rather be just about anywhere else.     They should have carried "this is pointless. Your refund will be in the mail" signs.

For all the "they're not ready" claims (which are true), any NHL team that believes it's an NHL team should not have that result in 3 out of 4 games without some sort of pride moment.   That was absent.   And I think I want to agree with you that comes from the coach.

At some point, though, whether they're 19, 29, or 39, they're men.   They shouldn't need a coach to make them want to punch back, stand up, and be heard.   They went quietly into that good night, and that's disturbing.    It's like they were roofied. That's how l little fight they showed once Elliott started his "here, let me help you" routine for Pittsburgh.

But I still blame the coach.  He has to do a better job.  Or A job.   All he's giving right now is a figurative #### job.

Hextall hired a nice guy college coach. I don't think hakstol has ever been fiery. He seems content in his suit. Maybe he should be a deacon in church.. My opinion: Bye raffle. Bye manning. Bye all goalies! Gudas probably gone too. And if giroux keeps disappearing then ship him to Arizona or edmonton..That way no pressure to win...It worked for doan.

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

yeah he is...I started to type MacDonald, but he's actually been okay this year. Not 4.5 mill a year okay but I can't really hate on his play. Even Manning is game, he's just not good enough to play the minutes he has been.  

I won't miss him, but would like some sweet composite sticks. 

Yeah, oddly MacDonald hasn't been a concern for me.   I agree he's not $4.5M good, but in today's market I guess it's not really top dollar, either.   Mistakes here and there but overall not horrible.   I did always say he'd be okay if not on the top pairing.  I thought that was over his head.   It was.   He's making top pairing money, I think, but he's doing okay where he is.    

Now, if we can find a way to get Manning and Gudas off the ice.   I agree Manning is game.   He'd probably be okay in his bottom pair role, but I wouldn't have him on the PK, and I'd limit his time.   I liked Gudas when we first got him.  I think the league department of safety has destroyed his game and he hasn't adjusted well.  I mean, I appreciate his adjustment of reigning it in.  He's actually done that admirably.  But without that, he just doesn't warrant the roster spot.

I have supported this team since I was old enough to know what hockey was, I was raised on all Philly sports.  No matter what era we were in, this team was always tough to play against.  Most of the teams showed some fire when they played and even when they were losing.  This team has no heart and it basically has no coach.  Based on all the playoffs we have had with Hakstol, it's pretty obvious that he is not a good coach.  He is a failure at whatever level he is at.  He is horrible here and he was horrible at North Dakota.  All the time he was there with the great players like Toews, Oshie and many others, he never won a NCAA title.  The year after he left, they won their NCAA title.  He has no clue what he is doing and he keeps proving it over and over.  So hopefully Flip, Manning, Read and other garbage will be gone in the offseason.  If Ron Hextall doesn't think Hak isn't bad then I really question him as a GM.  We have the good prospects at every position.  Keeping Hak as a coach with these young players would be a disservice to them.  They won't learn anything from this joke.  I'll watch hockey, I just won't be supporting the Flyers.

9 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

I have supported this team since I was old enough to know what hockey was, I was raised on all Philly sports.  No matter what era we were in, this team was always tough to play against.  Most of the teams showed some fire when they played and even when they were losing.  This team has no heart and it basically has no coach.  Based on all the playoffs we have had with Hakstol, it's pretty obvious that he is not a good coach.  He is a failure at whatever level he is at.  He is horrible here and he was horrible at North Dakota.  All the time he was there with the great players like Toews, Oshie and many others, he never won a NCAA title.  The year after he left, they won their NCAA title.  He has no clue what he is doing and he keeps proving it over and over.  So hopefully Flip, Manning, Read and other garbage will be gone in the offseason.  If Ron Hextall doesn't think Hak isn't bad then I really question him as a GM.  We have the good prospects at every position.  Keeping Hak as a coach with these young players would be a disservice to them.  They won't learn anything from this joke.  I'll watch hockey, I just won't be supporting the Flyers.

I agree completely. The flyers or fakers seem afraid of confrontation and success..When they lose 6-0 tomorrow then what. It would serve this bunch right if no fans were in Pittsburgh. They better watch it or flyers home ice might start to resemble all those EMPTY seats in Florida..

Just now, pilldoc said:

Then we are screwed ......

If that happens then the door should hit hextall in the butt as well. Just because hevwas a good netminder does not mean he's good at the next level..

19 minutes ago, Kastompa01 said:

If that happens then the door should hit hextall in the butt as well. Just because hevwas a good netminder does not mean he's good at the next level..

I think he's good "at the next level."  But Hakstol staying at this point would make me seriously  question that means "General Manager."   Maybe Player Development or head of scouting or something.    We'll see, but I am so done with Hakstol.  Filppula at 1C?   I said before that I get the idea of moving Patrick back down to try to spread things between lines.  Once you do that, if you're not going to put Giroux back at 1C (and assuming Coots remains out) then you've got really bad choices.   But I don't like the Filppula idea.

I'm already writing, so I'll put this here even though it's not specifically to you.    Would we actually be better off if Giroux played opposite Crosby rather than on wing?   Even if Coots returns, maybe you have him center a line against Malkin and have Giroux center against Crosby.    Patrick could still center the second line and put Filppula on the wing somewhere.  OR 4C.    The lines being advertised for game 5, though are another white flag.    Just cancel the game and give it to Pitt.

On the other hand, I see little difference in result at this point no matter what the lines are.   Those being advertised just give them zero chance.

You guys can give me hell on Tuesday in the likely event I'm wrong, but I'm going to go out on a broken limb:    Hakstol is fired by Monday if they lose on Friday.   You heard it here first.    We'll find out at some point later that it was Hextall's job or Hakstol's.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

You guys can give me hell on Tuesday in the likely event I'm wrong, but I'm going to go out on a broken limb:    Hakstol is fired by Monday if they lose on Friday.   You heard it here first.    We'll find out at some point later that it was Hextall's job or Hakstol's.

I agree!

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Could be .... I won't give you hell if you are wrong.  If the Flyers get blown out like they did the past game I don't see how Hak still has a job. 

Just now, pilldoc said:

Could be .... I won't give you hell if you are wrong.  If the Flyers get blown out like they did the past game I don't see how Hak still has a job. 

Yeah, I shouldn't have said just "if they lose Friday" (though I think that may be enough).  But if it's a drubbing, which I have no reason to suspect it won't be, then I can't see how Hakstol survives.

FILPPULA AT 1C.

There is just simply no rational explanation for that.   You watch.  I've beaten this to death, so naturally he'll get a hat trick.

Just now, ruxpin said:

I've beaten this to death, so naturally he'll get a hat trick.

If that happens, I also expect El Culo Naranja to resign by Monday as well.    Go big or go home!

Archived