Too Much Garbage

caluso

18 hours ago, caluso said:

For all of the talk about the youth movement and the infusion of talent the Flyers are experiencing, the Flyers roster is still littered with too much garbage. And, I hate to break it to you, but the future is not as rosy as Hextall will have you believe. After all, there are several "young" Eastern Conference teams on the rise that have much more talent than the Flyers do: Boston, Toronto, and Columbus... to name a few.

• Matt Read: the fact that this bum was called up and found himself on the PK unit speaks volumes about the dearth of talent on the front end that this organization has.
  • Michael Raffl: Completely asinine move by Hextall to re-sign this guy for 2 million per year. He is wildly inconsistent and doesn't come close to justifying his cap hit
  • Brandon Manning: Tries hard but...
  • Simmonds: what happened to this guy?
  • Scott Laughton: I cannot believe that there is not a better option in the AHL. I simply cannot believe that. And, if that is true, the team is screwed. Laughton sucks!
  • Brian Elliott: Nothing more than a tier 2 goalie. Every shot on goal is an adventure. Every one of them.
  • Filpula: Might go down as one of the worst moves Hextall has made. The guy was washed up before he got here. Again, I cannot believe that there is not a better option in the AHL. I simply cannot believe that. And, if that is true, the team is screwed.
  • Lehtera: see Manning 
  • Sanheim: does anyone else think that Hartnell had better balance than this guy; I have never seen a D-man not be able to pivot and turn without falling down as much as Sanheim. And, he has a really, really low hockey IQ.

Looking at that list, it is obvious that the Flyers' needs are vast: a goalie, 6 forwards and several D-men.

I am not a believer that the future is bright. Personally, I think they will remain mediocre for many more years.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think after this year next year 's lineup will have some new fresh faces....taking the next step regardless of how the playoffs end.

I think this will be next years lineup. I think Weal and Simmer get traded. It might look quite like this to start the year but by 2019 it will.

Still a few more to weed out like Lehtera (but next year will be his last) and Mcdud who could be a trade deadline candidate if they can find a taker.

Roster is shaping up.

Lines

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
54 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Danick Martel - 23 Misha Vorobyev - 9 Nick Aube-Kubel
15 Jori Lehtera - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl
Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Sam Morin - 6 Travis Sanheim
47 Andrew MacDonald - 8 Robert Hagg

Goalies

32 Brian Elliott ????????

I know everyone hates Evander Kane,  but if he heads to UFA, I would go after him. I think if we can also get rid of McD for future considerations if we offer to pay half his salary.  The Isles defense is horrible maybe they would take him back. 

21 hours ago, caluso said:

Sanheim: does anyone else think that Hartnell had better balance than this guy; I have never seen a D-man not be able to pivot and turn without falling down as much as Sanheim. And, he has a really, really low hockey IQ.

Check into rehab. This is utter crap. 

Pretty much the whole post, but this was particularly insane. It's simply not true. 

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I've probably played more hockey than you have watched, but ok. Put the video clips together and we can see how bad a skater Travis Sanheim is, ok?

I mentioned one (1!) goalie prospect: Carter Hart. It is a fact (since you like that word) that the Leafs do not have a goalie prospect in the pipe with Hart's pedigree or promise. 

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not surprised either.

That's a bit over the top.  I guess I could have been more precise, that when I'm discussing "young" players I'm really meaning "prospects." Kadri is 27. Hyman is 25, and while I like him, he's also not really the type of player we are talking about. He's a bottom six guy, but Babs likes his work ethic and so he plays top 6. 

Besides, I don't have orange and black glasses, I have these really cool blue ones that draw people's attention away from my large, bent nose. 

Anyway, GFY

You may have played tons of hockey but your knowledge about today's game suggests that you are mis-informed. 

Ever hear of Garrett Sparks? Goalie, Toronto Marlies. The number 1 goalie in the AHL. 1.71 GA; .936 save percentage. They don't need Carter Hart, who has been a terrific goalie in the Juniors (1.6 GA; .947 save percentage), they have THE NUMBER ONE GOALIE PROSPECT IN THE AHL.  His stats dwarf those of Lyon and Stolarz - in their best years - and are a tick down from your boy, Hart, who is supposedly the Flyers savior.

The Leafs have a ton of young talent upfront (Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Kapanen) and hold a big advantage over the Flyers (Couturier, Konecny) in this area. They don't have anyone on the back end with the promise of Provorov. But overall, the Leafs future looks very bright, brighter than the Flyers' -IMHO.

And, as I said, the Bruins and Blue Jackets are also loaded. So, to assume that the Flyers' will be competing for a Cup in a few years is misguided. While the Flyers future looks brighter than it did 3 years ago, their roster is still in need of a massive upgrade to be considered legitimate Cup contenders.

Also, I plan on splicing together a tape of Sanheim stumbling and bumbling later this week. In the meantime, tune into Wednesday's game. I am sure Sanheim will prove me right.

3 hours ago, caluso said:

You may have played tons of hockey but your knowledge about today's game suggests that you are mis-informed. 

Ever hear of Garrett Sparks? Goalie, Toronto Marlies. The number 1 goalie in the AHL. 1.71 GA; .936 save percentage. They don't need Carter Hart, who has been a terrific goalie in the Juniors (1.6 GA; .947 save percentage), they have THE NUMBER ONE GOALIE PROSPECT IN THE AHL.  His stats dwarf those of Lyon and Stolarz - in their best years - and are a tick down from your boy, Hart, who is supposedly the Flyers savior.

The Leafs have a ton of young talent upfront (Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Kapanen) and hold a big advantage over the Flyers (Couturier, Konecny) in this area. They don't have anyone on the back end with the promise of Provorov. But overall, the Leafs future looks very bright, brighter than the Flyers' -IMHO.

And, as I said, the Bruins and Blue Jackets are also loaded. So, to assume that the Flyers' will be competing for a Cup in a few years is misguided. While the Flyers future looks brighter than it did 3 years ago, their roster is still in need of a massive upgrade to be considered legitimate Cup contenders.

Also, I plan on splicing together a tape of Sanheim stumbling and bumbling later this week. In the meantime, tune into Wednesday's game. I am sure Sanheim will prove me right.

How come you never mention Ghost and his 61 points who's 24 but you bring up Hyman and his 40 points who's 25? You don't mention Voracek and his 85 points who's 28 but Kadri and 55 points who's 27. You bring up Kapanen with his NINE career NHL points at 21 but don't even mention 2nd overall pick Nolan Patrick...who might be sort of good. Or Lindblom.

While the Leafs were drafting those forwards (and tanking doing it) Philly was drafting defence. It would make sense the Leafs might have more prospects up front...but it was smart of Hextall to build up his D and goaltending first, they generally take longer to develop. He's started using picks for forwards. Konecnys already making a difference. And there's plenty in the system with Frost/Ratcliffe/Allison/Rubstov/Lazcynski etc. Plus he has another 2-1sts this year.

Sparks is a good prospect. So far his NHL play hasn't been much to write home about.

12 hours ago, caluso said:

So riddle me this Batman if this kid was so good why was he a 7th round pick???

And yet he is 24 about to turn 25 and yet hasn't yet played well in the NHL and even has 45+ games in the ECHL???

Lyon has never been sent to the ECHL!!!!!!

And what numbers does he have that blows Carter Hart's out the water???

His playoffs in juniors after being drafted he had 4.45 gaa and a 881% are you kidding me???

Nowhere as close to being as good as Hart's.

Or is it his last time he played in the AHL playoffs and posted a 900% how impressive.

Color me not that impressed.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So riddle me this Batman if this kid was so good why was he a 7th round pick???

And yet he is 24 about to turn 25 and yet hasn't sniffed the NHL and even has 45+ games in the ECHL???

Lyon has never been sent to the ECHL!!!!!!

And what numbers does he have that blows Carter Hart's out the water???

His playoffs in juniors after being drafted he had 4.45 gaa and a 881% are you kidding me???

Nowhere as close to being as good as Hart's.

Or is it his last time he played in the AHL playoffs and posted a 900% how impressive.

Color me not that impressed.

Who cares what right a goalie was drafted in? You do realize that Henrik Lundqvist was a 7th round pick, right? Matt Murray, a 3rd rounder.

And, who cares if he was sent to the ECHL. 

I hate to break it to you but Sparks' numbers are almost as good as Hart's, yet he played in a much, much tougher league.

And, I also hate to break it to you that while Hart has been terrific, there is no guarantee that he pans out. Sorry, but there isn't. 

1 minute ago, caluso said:

Who cares what right a goalie was drafted in? You do realize that Henrik Lundqvist was a 7th round pick, right? 

That's a good point. 

Now what about Ghost/Patrick/Lindblom/Frost etc etc.

Just now, caluso said:

Who cares what right a goalie was drafted in? You do realize that Henrik Lundqvist was a 7th round pick, right? 

Oh nevermind i do forget he did play for the Leafs and bombed....3.02 gaa and a 893% and forced them to trade for Andersen!

Yeah he is so good about to be 25 and hasn't been seen since in the NHL!!!!!!

I was remiss in not including Patrick and Ghost. My bad. 

While, I love Lindblom, he is not the player that any of the others are.

As for Frost, he is still in the Juniors. While I am very optimistic he will develop into a top-six player, it is way too early to include him in that list. 

The Leafs also have: Liljegren, Dermot - I didn't include those guys for the same reason.

By the way, the following article says exactly what I did - except I didn't get paid for writing it:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/flyers-penguins-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-ron-hextall-nolan-patrick-travis-konecny-ivan-provorov-20180416.html

I was also going to add that since the Flyers are years away from being a legitimate Cup contender, that they should explore trading G. I know that Hextall doesn't have the balls for that, but it is worth considering. By the time the team will be a legitimate Cup contender, G will be past his prime and with a huge cap hit (Just to be clear, I would want a huge haul for him)

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh nevermind i do forget he did play for the Leafs and bombed....3.02 gaa and a 893% and forced them to trade for Andersen!

Yeah he is so good about to be 25 and hasn't been seen since in the NHL!!!!!!

I hate to reiterate this but, what round does it matter when he was drafted. I understand why you hear crickets - your argument is completely without merit.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

***crickets***

I guess I have to spell it out for you

Sparks: 1.76 GA, .936 save percentage. IN THE AHL, A PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE.....

Hart: 1.6 GA, .947 save percentage. IN JUNIORS.

Sparks was just as dominant this past year as Hart was, except he was playing in a much tougher league.

I hope that helps you.

3 minutes ago, caluso said:

I hate to reiterate this but, what round does it matter when he was drafted. I understand why you hear crickets - your argument is completely without merit.

Ok who cares when he was draft answer why he was so great but stank it up in the NHL then wise guy??

2 minutes ago, caluso said:

Hart: 1.6 GA, .947 save percentage

Exactly. Sparks best year was 917%.

Hart hasn't played in the AHL yet he is only 19 right now 5 years younger dude.

Yet why isn't Sparks even a backup in the NHL at 25 almost???

He played in 17 NHL games. 17. Even you should be able to see that 17 games is not a large sample size, right?

If Sparks was on the Phantoms, he would be their clear cut number 1 and you would be ecstatic to have him.

Just now, caluso said:

He played in 17 NHL games.

And sucked!!!! Hasn't been seen since so he could be the next Michael Leighton for all we know...

....can't even take Curtis McElhinney's job that is SAD!!!

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly. Sparks best year was 917%.

Hart hasn't played in the AHL yet he is only 19 right now 5 years younger dude.

Yet why isn't Sparks even a backup in the NHL at 25 almost???

I mean no disrespect, but are you unable to read. He just posted a .936 save percentage in the AHL -a much, much tougher place to dominate than Juniors.

And, yes, he is 24, about to be 25. HE IS RIGHT WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE!

I hate to keep doing this to you, but Lyon is already 25 and Stolarz is 24. Are you aware of that?????????

Or is it okay for your guy to be 25 but not mine?

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And sucked!!!! Hasn't been seen since so he could be the next Michael Leighton for all we know...

....can't even take Curtis McElhinney's job that is SAD!!!

Anyway, back to work.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Archived