Too Much Garbage

caluso

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I'm not sold on Carter Hutton being much of an upgrade. I mean, our goalies this year have been abysmal. It's entirely possible almost any other goaltender would be somewhat of an upgrade, but a 32 year old who has never been a starter in the NHL isn't someone I'd pull up the truck to get. If we could sign him for cheap just to see, I suppose that would be alright.

I certainly would not make any trade involving Simmonds for him. Simmer can and should fetch better than that.

I realize I haven't offered any other name instead. Mostly that's because there's no one available of note, and good goalies rarely get traded while they're still good. Are there any promising young or younger goalies around who are stuck behind bigger names? We can talk about Carter Hart all we want, but he's unlikely to suit up for at least a few years yet, and there's no guarantee he can translate his success to the NHL anyway.

Again, no solutions unfortunately. :/

12 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I certainly would not make any trade involving Simmonds for him.

No one is saying that. Hutton is a UFA. He would just need to persuaded to walk away from the Blues. The free agent market doesn't hold a lot of promise.

This an option that wouldn't require assets to obtain. I think he can at least unseat Elliott.

If you want a better option in net then well that will require assets players/prospects and picks to get said guy.

I had mentioned Holtby.

However i can't see the Caps trading him to a rival unless blown away by overpayment and i'm not wanting to really do that. But Holtby is a good example of a type of goalie the could look at two year at 6 mill in those years.

Not sure Hextall wants to go that route....hence Hutton suggestion. Give him a shot as a starter in Philly.

But he may not want to leave St. Louie.

1 minute ago, Pucked in the head said:

Simmonds for Holtby think Wash would go for something along those lines??? And is that something WE would want to do trade him to a division rival???

No can't see that going down....Caps will trade him out West if at all.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:24 AM, caluso said:
  • Matt Read: the fact that this bum was called up and found himself on the PK unit speaks volumes about the dearth of talent on the front end that this organization has.
  • Michael Raffl: Completely asinine move by Hextall to re-sign this guy for 2 million per year. He is wildly inconsistent and doesn't come close to justifying his cap hit
  • Brandon Manning: Tries hard but...
  • Simmonds: what happened to this guy?
  • Scott Laughton: I cannot believe that there is not a better option in the AHL. I simply cannot believe that. And, if that is true, the team is screwed. Laughton sucks!
  • Brian Elliott: Nothing more than a tier 2 goalie. Every shot on goal is an adventure. Every one of them.
  • Filpula: Might go down as one of the worst moves Hextall has made. The guy was washed up before he got here. Again, I cannot believe that there is not a better option in the AHL. I simply cannot believe that. And, if that is true, the team is screwed.
  • Lehtera: see Manning 
  • Sanheim: does anyone else think that Hartnell had better balance than this guy; I have never seen a D-man not be able to pivot and turn without falling down as much as Sanheim. And, he has a really, really low hockey IQ.

Looking at that list, it is obvious that the Flyers' needs are vast: a goalie, 6 forwards and several D-men.

I am not a believer that the future is bright. Personally, I think they will remain mediocre for many more years.

-If Matt Read had been playing all year instead of Lehtera or Weise, the Flyers would have probably leap frogged the Penguins in the standings.

-Raffl is literally one of the Flyers most effective players.  If you only watch for the stats on the back of a hockey card, then you won't agree, but they can literally use the guy in any situation and he usually thrives.  The problem is him not doing poorly as a top 6 is not the same as Konecny doing well as a top 6 and conversely, Konecny will not be nearly as good in the 3rd or 4th line role as Raffl.   Long Story short, I couldn't disagree with your assessment of Raffl more, he just needs to stay in the bottom 6 to be most effective for the team.

-Brandon Manning needed to have been in the press box for 75% of this season.  End of Story.  Sanheim and Morin made costly rookie mistakes that they could improve upon, but Manning made consistent mistakes of a veteran who just isn't good and that cost the team more in the long run.

-MY only prayer for Simmonds is that he was really hurt... but that would mean he was hurt ALL year... with something not severe enough to require surgery and that he couldn't damage more by playing through, but  bad enough to essentially make him suck worse and worse as the year went on.  Hernia/Abdominal?  The problem with that is we know it takes a year or more to recover from.  Not a good situation for Simmer.

-Laughton doesn't suck.  Laughton was a half decent but totally undisciplined forward who almost had his career ended by not understanding that players in the NHL are bigger, faster and less apt to put up with your B.S.  Then the team sat him in the AHL for a year and told him, "You're not a scorer, you're a 4th line center and we will force you to be that."  And he responded very well.  He started the year as the 4C and looked very good with Leier and Raffl (see my first comment).  Their play driving numbers were through the roof in an almost scary way.  They didn't score, but that's really all you ask of your 4th line... if they can keep it out of your own end and put some pucks on the other net for 13 minutes a game, you're really winning.  Laughton sucking isn't Laughton's problem.  Hakstol's inability to commit a line to a role is Laughton's problem.  He's never going to score 25 goals for you, but he's a very good 4C.  However you may be right, Vecchione or Vorobyov might be better if they'd just give him a chance.

-You're spot on about Elliott, but that was always the point.  Not the adventure part, but he was never supposed to be a franchise goalie to single handedly win you a cup.  He was supposed to be able to start 45-50 games semi-competently for two years and not a ton of money.  That's literally it.  Elliott's biggest problem is that Hakstol seemed to think he should start those 50 games IN A ROW and surprise surprise when you're 33, that leads to injuries.

-Filppula was one of Hextall's worst moves?  He got a warm body to play center for a year and a half while he waited to see if any of his picks panned out and Tampa threw in a 4th and a 7th to take him off their hands because they had a cap problem.  Filppula was never supposed to be a difference maker.  He was supposed to be a veteran who could be not terrible for a year and a half and that worked.  Acquiring Filppula was as much about getting Streit a shot at a cup as anything else.  You may have been expecting more from that situation than was warranted.

-Lehtera wasn't even something Hextall wanted.  He didn't trade Manning for Lehtera.  Lehtera was the condition Hextall had to put up with in order to get St. Louis' 2 first found picks.  I'm mad about Lehtera too, but I blame Hakstol for putting him on the ice nearly every damn night of the year.  The most I'm upset about Hextall for is not taking that option away from Hak mid-year and giving him Vecchione instead.  That said, somehow, like MacDonald... somehow Lehtera was actually much more effective down the stretch and was one of their most effective players in the Penguins series.  Which is just sad... but true.

-Falling down is one thing, but you may be the first human being on planet earth who has ever accused Sanheim of having a low Hockey IQ.  He was actually one of their better D-men in the playoffs, but before that in the stretch run at the end of the year, the Sanheim/MacDonald pairing was (I'm not kidding) one of the best pairings in the game as far as possession and play driving metrics.  Sanheim is pretty good and he's only going to get better.  The problem you may be seeing is that he just turned 22 and his first taste of playoff hockey was against the two time Stanley Cup winners.  

On 4/20/2018 at 11:45 AM, Jam1986 said:

Plus what

On 4/20/2018 at 5:56 PM, OccamsRazor said:

No can't see that going down....Caps will trade him out West if at all.

You gotta hope Simmer bounces back because he's a great dude and most of us all really like him.  So if he bounces back, I really really don't want it to be for a team in the East let alone one we have to play 4 or 5 times.  I think he'd do very well for the Sharks.  Send him there.  

Archived