Sean Couturier Injured at Practice

Well, sounds like he won't miss regular season games.  I just hope they don't rush him back too soon.  I wonder how, if at all, this impacts Frost's chances of getting at least a 9 game look if Couturier lags in his recovery.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/25/2018 at 12:56 PM, OccamsRazor said:

So does this injury thrust Frost into the line up???

Just kicking the can down the road.....

I think it's possible if he blows Hexy's socks off in camp. TK did it after all, and the competition for a 3C spot is largely non existent. The question is whether he can play at a high enough level in camp and pre-season. It would be nice, but I wouldn't bank on it.

But I don't think it's impossible or anything.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:56 AM, OccamsRazor said:

So does this injury thrust Frost into the line up???

Just kicking the can down the road.....

I wondered the same thing above. 

I don't know where they expected to play him during camp/pre-season, but I would think this opens the door for him to see some time with top 6 players.  I suppose he would have gotten a look in that role anyway, but this should give him more opportunity in that regard to impress and show he belongs.  Whether he does enough to make the team remains in question.  In other words, I don't think the injury to Couturier alone means he gets into the lineup.  He still has to show he belongs.  But the injury gives him a greater opportunity to do so.

4 hours ago, elmatus said:

I think it's possible if he blows Hexy's socks off in camp. TK did it after all, and the competition for a 3C spot is largely non existent. The question is whether he can play at a high enough level in camp and pre-season. It would be nice, but I wouldn't bank on it.

But I don't think it's impossible or anything.

I'm not concerned so much with his level of play in terms of skill, but I do wonder yet about his size. If he shows he's gained enough and can keep stamina, etc., it could be very interesting. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not concerned so much with his level of play in terms of skill, but I do wonder yet about his size. If he shows he's gained enough and can keep stamina, etc., it could be very interesting. 

HockeyDB has Frost listed at 6ft, 180lbs. That's fine for the NHL nowadays. TK is listed as 5'10, 175lbs. 

The game has changed so much. Size is a nice thing to have of course, and always will be, but it isn't nearly as necessary as it used to be. The current top 50 is littered with players who would have been considered way too small in years past.

I honestly think he has a shot. He will have to put on a show though, otherwise I fully expect Hexy will send him down instead. I'm also not sure it's enough to simply prove he's better than Laughton or Weal or whoever else is currently pencilled in as the 3C.

He'll essentially have to play like a potential top six forward and be one of the best at camp. If he can do that, I can see him getting a shot to start the year. That's what TK did, and it worked. Anything less than that, and I think Hex will maintain the prudent path.

Archived