• Knights in 6
    • knights in 7
    • Sharks Sweep 4-0
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

@Vegas Always Wins

First off, welcome to the forums.

Second, while the screen name is nice (and appropriate it seems for this year), you may find it dated faster than you probably thought when you were making it....  :bigteeth:  ... but I digress, as right now it is hard to argue with the Knights' success.

As for what 'advantages' the Sharks may have in the series, again, hard to argue against what the Knights are bringing to the table, but that isn't to say the Sharks bring nothing.

San Jose has been a contender for quite some time now, and while many may look at the team and think "Well, their window is closed or closing", fact is, they STILL have some very good players on the team....and those guys are VERY hungry to win after being so close on many occasions, and that DOES count for something in a 7-game series.

It'd be a different thing if the Sharks were a bunch of has-beens on serious decline still trying to hold on, but that isn't the case yet for those guys.

Another thing that could be advantageous for San Jose is Brent Burns.

While the Kings are a big and strong team (just like San Jose), Brent Burns is a different animal altogether with a complete package of size, speed, offense, decent defense, and a mean streak when he decides to put it to use.

LA had some solid guys on defense, but no one quite like Burns, and while some may say he took a 'step back' this year compared to the previous year, he is still one dynamic, hard to contain player.

Vegas DID win the season series against the Sharks and that is a nice feather in the Knights' armored cap. However, personally, I put very little stock in that. I won't dismiss it completely, but the playoffs are a different atmosphere, a different mindset...and again, one that the Sharks, as a team, know very well.

We've all seen teams beat up on another, then see them in the post season and it's a different story.

As compared to the Kings, the Sharks do offer a bit more offense for the Knights to have to deal with. 

San Jose plays a very tough defensive style (just like LA), but have a deeper lineup up front to produce a bit more.

That said, Jonathan Quick played out of his mind and the Knights were able to still do just enough to get by him......Martin Jones will HAVE to be equal to that task to deal with the complete team game that I know Vegas will bring.

All the while, Marc Andre Fleury is playing about as well as one could hope for......so I will give Vegas a definite advantage in goal for right now.

Your Vegas Knights are the favorites now coming into this series, and it is well deserved. They cast off that expansion label very quickly and based on their roster, they certainly have talent there and it is much more than just luck or teams "not expecting much from them".

On top of that, Girard Gallant is very good coach who fully understands the compete team concept, has preached that to his group, and most importantly, they bought in.

I've seen what Gallant did with the Panthers as far as getting the most from the guys he has, so not surprised he is doing the same in Vegas with arguably, better talent up n down the lineup comprised of guys who simply needed a real shot to play mixed in with solid savvy vets who still can play like winners.

So to recap, I'd say the edge in PLAYOFF experience would go to San Jose as well as the intangible factor of being a "hungry" squad who probably wanna win so bad they can taste it.

I'd also give a slight edge in physicality to San Jose, as I believe they have a good combination of size, speed, and offense that puts them ahead of the previous Vegas opponent, the LA Kings.

And finally, San Jose's other advantage... Brent Burns. Just an animal of a man who should offer Vegas, in a playoff atmosphere, the kind of challenge they had yet to see from anyone on the LA roster's defensive corps.

Everything else....goaltending, top to bottom team play, top six overall speed, transition attack, and guys playing with HUGE chips on their shoulders (due to being 'cast off' as expansion players) favors the Knights.

I expect this series to go long and I would think the Knights can win this in about 6 or 7, however, I would not be surprised at all if the Sharks manage to edge out the Knights (and if that happens, you may need to contact us about a screen name change :lol: ), but overall, this should be a fun and interesting series regardless.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the Knights, hate may not even be a strong enough word to be honest. I have always felt that a city/team must suffer and earn the right to enjoy winning, to imidiately become a winning organization out the chute doesn't seem right somehow. As for fans of the Knights, it is like when the Cubs won the series a few years ago and I started seeing Cub jerseys popping up all over Ohio. Fair weather fans, nothing more.

I took the Sharks in four and hope they absolutely destroy them just bury them from the initial faceoff on. Then lets see the so called hockey fans who wouldn't know a blueline from a clothesline. Lose for a few years then lets talk. Until then you are just bandwagon jumpers. If they had went 20-52-10 there wouldn't be a fan outside of Nevada. 

Go Sharks. Bury the interlopers.

19 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I hate the Knights, hate may not even be a strong enough word to be honest. I have always felt that a city/team must suffer and earn the right to enjoy winning, to imidiately become a winning organization out the chute doesn't seem right somehow. As for fans of the Knights, it is like when the Cubs won the series a few years ago and I started seeing Cub jerseys popping up all over Ohio. Fair weather fans, nothing more.

I took the Sharks in four and hope they absolutely destroy them just bury them from the initial faceoff on. Then lets see the so called hockey fans who wouldn't know a blueline from a clothesline. Lose for a few years then lets talk. Until then you are just bandwagon jumpers. If they had went 20-52-10 there wouldn't be a fan outside of Nevada. 

Go Sharks. Bury the interlopers.

Gee, Yave... don't hold back.... tell us how you REALLY feel!

:lol:

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Vegas Always Wins

First off, welcome to the forums.

Second, while the screen name is nice (and appropriate it seems for this year), you may find it dated faster than you probably thought when you were making it....  :bigteeth:  ... but I digress, as right now it is hard to argue with the Knights' success.

As for what 'advantages' the Sharks may have in the series, again, hard to argue against what the Knights are bringing to the table, but that isn't to say the Sharks bring nothing.

San Jose has been a contender for quite some time now, and while many may look at the team and think "Well, their window is closed or closing", fact is, they STILL have some very good players on the team....and those guys are VERY hungry to win after being so close on many occasions, and that DOES count for something in a 7-game series.

It'd be a different thing if the Sharks were a bunch of has-beens on serious decline still trying to hold on, but that isn't the case yet for those guys.

Another thing that could be advantageous for San Jose is Brent Burns.

While the Kings are a big and strong team (just like San Jose), Brent Burns is a different animal altogether with a complete package of size, speed, offense, decent defense, and a mean streak when he decides to put it to use.

LA had some solid guys on defense, but no one quite like Burns, and while some may say he took a 'step back' this year compared to the previous year, he is still one dynamic, hard to contain player.

Vegas DID win the season series against the Sharks and that is a nice feather in the Knights' armored cap. However, personally, I put very little stock in that. I won't dismiss it completely, but the playoffs are a different atmosphere, a different mindset...and again, one that the Sharks, as a team, know very well.

We've all seen teams beat up on another, then see them in the post season and it's a different story.

As compared to the Kings, the Sharks do offer a bit more offense for the Knights to have to deal with. 

San Jose plays a very tough defensive style (just like LA), but have a deeper lineup up front to produce a bit more.

That said, Jonathan Quick played out of his mind and the Knights were able to still do just enough to get by him......Martin Jones will HAVE to be equal to that task to deal with the complete team game that I know Vegas will bring.

All the while, Marc Andre Fleury is playing about as well as one could hope for......so I will give Vegas a definite advantage in goal for right now.

Your Vegas Knights are the favorites now coming into this series, and it is well deserved. They cast off that expansion label very quickly and based on their roster, they certainly have talent there and it is much more than just luck or teams "not expecting much from them".

On top of that, Girard Gallant is very good coach who fully understands the compete team concept, has preached that to his group, and most importantly, they bought in.

I've seen what Gallant did with the Panthers as far as getting the most from the guys he has, so not surprised he is doing the same in Vegas with arguably, better talent up n down the lineup comprised of guys who simply needed a real shot to play mixed in with solid savvy vets who still can play like winners.

So to recap, I'd say the edge in PLAYOFF experience would go to San Jose as well as the intangible factor of being a "hungry" squad who probably wanna win so bad they can taste it.

I'd also give a slight edge in physicality to San Jose, as I believe they have a good combination of size, speed, and offense that puts them ahead of the previous Vegas opponent, the LA Kings.

And finally, San Jose's other advantage... Brent Burns. Just an animal of a man who should offer Vegas, in a playoff atmosphere, the kind of challenge they had yet to see from anyone on the LA roster's defensive corps.

Everything else....goaltending, top to bottom team play, top six overall speed, transition attack, and guys playing with HUGE chips on their shoulders (due to being 'cast off' as expansion players) favors the Knights.

I expect this series to go long and I would think the Knights can win this in about 6 or 7, however, I would not be surprised at all if the Sharks manage to edge out the Knights (and if that happens, you may need to contact us about a screen name change :lol: ), but overall, this should be a fun and interesting series regardless.

It appears the biggest advantage you see is Burns. I have him on most of my fantasy teams, and yes he has been a disappointment this season. He id did have a deflected shot for a goal in their third game, if I am remembering right. He is a threat in the offensive zone. But I actually think the biggest threat could be Pavelski, because they will be focused on Burns and Kane. In the end the Sharks could very well win this series. But I will tell you the Knights match up very well against San Jose.

he thugery of the old NHL isn't effective anymore. See the Kings. And I don't really think San Jose will resort to that unless they get down 2-0 or 3-0 and have to grab at straws. DeBoer is too smart for that. In fact I expect them to look over very thoroughly the approach that teams like the Islanders, Oilers and Wild used to shut down the Knights. As for being hungry, I don't see any advantage for San Jose. The Knights are starting over from the regular season playing the disrespected and unwanted step child. They will have a different type of hunger, that they showed against L.A. I definitely give the hunger edge to Vegas.

Burns on his own is not enough by himself. He will need Jones, Kane, Pavelski and the supporting cast to match the Knights intensity, and try to skate with them. I would also add that even through the Knights don't have a Burns or Doughty etc. their d men as a group are effectively off setting any individual advantage guys like Burns may have. Again, see the Kings and Doughty versus the Knights defenseman as a group. I like that you are trying to find something. I too am trying to find something, but haven't seen a compelling argument yet.

36 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

We used to have a few Sharks fans here. Maybe 3-4. They post infrequently tho

How are you feeling about this match up in your gut? I did not like our first round match up versus the Kings, and we just out gutted them each game. San Jose, I am not so sure how I honestly feel about it. I am thinking the one thing San Jose might have is the revenge factor losing 3 of 4 to the Knights in the regular season, and winning the one only in O.T.

4 minutes ago, Vegas Always Wins said:

How are you feeling about this match up in your gut? I did not like our first round match up versus the Kings, and we just out gutted them each game. San Jose, I am not so sure how I honestly feel about it. I am thinking the one thing San Jose might have is the revenge factor losing 3 of 4 to the Knights in the regular season, and winning the one only in O.T.

I am saying Sharks in 6

I am hoping Jumbo joe Thornton comes back for this series and plays 3rd line C. Our top 2 lines have been rock solid thunder even without him. Spread the wealth

@Vegas Always Wins

Well, I think I came up with more than just Brent Burns.....if you had read my entire post you would have seen that.

And sure, Burns didn't have as good a season as he did his previous ones, but to call him a "disappointment" this year is extremely short sighted.

I compared his numbers to the nominated Norris candidates (Hedman, Subban, Doughty) and while his numbers this season lag a bit on the defensive side, its not something that I would consider "disappointing", and offensively he still matches up real well with the nominees.

A bad Burns year is still a good year for many other defensemen in the league.

And you are right...Vegas does NOT have a single D-man like him. They do things as a team. I understand that and again, mentioned it in my post as one of the main reasons they are where they are today.

But what I DIDN'T mention in my post was that while Vegas did a good job against the Kings in keeping them to 4 goals in 4 games, the Knights themselves didn't score too much more, though obviously it was enough to beat LA.

I think that will have to change against the Sharks, as the Knights may not be able to get away with just a goal or two.

I do believe the Knights CAN do more on offense than they did in the LA series (remember, Quick and his defense were pretty good too!), but they will have to show it against the Sharks, who, in cased you missed it, DO play a good defensive game in addition to being a bit more capable on offense than the Kings were.

To me, the big wildcard here is Martin Jones.

If the Martin Jones that faltered at times during the season shows up, then Vegas could have this series pretty handily.

But if the Jones that shows up is the #1 guy San Jose knows they have, and the same one that shut down a pretty good Anaheim offense, then the Knights will MORE than have their hands full.

As for "thuggery"...I made no mention of that. Being and playing physical doesn't automatically mean "thuggery". Anyone who knows playoff hockey knows that the physical play (clean physical play, and yea, some not so much), is ramped up.

And San Jose is well equipped to play that style of game....maybe even a bit better than the Knights as a team.

And just in case you tend to cherry pick your way through a post, I will point out that I DO have the Knights winning this in 7 (they are gonna have to work for it if they win), but still would not be surprised at a San Jose victory in the same amount of games.

Sharkies still have lots of guys who feel there is unfinished business and that could be motivation enough for them to match the large chip on the Vegas players' collective shoulders.

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Gee, Yave... don't hold back.... tell us how you REALLY feel!

:lol:

I am only going to say this.. You do not know me, or anything about me. Nor do you know (probably) any of the other folks who support this team. Hating me and them for no other reason than personal prejudice, and publishing it here or anywhere else, is out of line. I would really like to understand how Insulting me and anyone else who supports this team or lives in Southern Nevada advances your objective.

At the same time, I have zero desire to use hate filled, inflammatory attacks in response. I hope you find some peace, and can land in a spot where you do not hate for the sake of hating.

2 minutes ago, Vegas Always Wins said:

I am only going to say this.. You do not know me, or anything about me. Nor do you know (probably) any of the other folks who support this team. Hating me and them for no other reason than personal prejudice, and publishing it here or anywhere else, is out of line. I would really like to understand how Insulting me and anyone else who supports this team or lives in Southern Nevada advances your objective.

At the same time, I have zero desire to use hate filled, inflammatory attacks in response. I hope you find some peace, and can land in a spot where you do not hate for the sake of hating.

You quoted me for 'hating on you'??

Erm, oook.

As for Yave, from a fan's point of view, all he is saying is he hates the Knights....for whatever reason, it is his and he has that right.

I hate the Bruins, and the Pens....sometimes irrationally so! :bigteeth:

But I am ok with that.

Yave hurled no insult to you personally..... just that he hates the Knights and cited his reason.

Was it particularly professional? Who knows.

Was it 'fan fueled' (he has admitted elsewhere to being a currently disgruntled, yet still loyal Red Wings fan), absolutely, and as long as nothing personal towards anyone in particular was fired, then that is all good too.

We pride ourselves in respecting fans of all teams here (our feelings of the actual teams aside), but a little side jabbing at the teams and just general commentary is STILL part of the pro sports forum world.

Why, Yave even once called my Lightning a bunch of "soft, whiny, never win anything group of players"....and that Florida fans were also fair weather fans who wouldn't show up for games had it not been for the team not currently contending.

And that was right before a playoff series between the Wings and Bolts.

My feelings were hurt so bad that day, that I thoroughly enjoyed not only the series, but continuing to post here, and Yave and I are on good forum terms...always have been.

That's how devastated I was at his vicious attack on my team, Florida fans in general, yet not a bad word towards me personally :InnocentSmiley:

Tis all good man!

The Vegas-San Jose series should be a good one! Sit back, relax, let others have their opinions of your "vile" team (as long as you aren't personally attacked).....and for the love of puck, for future reference, PLEASE quote the right person.....  otherwise, you could end up with tartar sauce on your fish sandwich when you clearly wanted it plain, or vice versa! :)

37 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Vegas Always Wins

Well, I think I came up with more than just Brent Burns.....if you had read my entire post you would have seen that.

And sure, Burns didn't have as good a season as he did his previous ones, but to call him a "disappointment" this year is extremely short sighted.

I compared his numbers to the nominated Norris candidates (Hedman, Subban, Doughty) and while his numbers this season lag a bit on the defensive side, its not something that I would consider "disappointing", and offensively he still matches up real well with the nominees.

A bad Burns year is still a good year for many other defensemen in the league.

And you are right...Vegas does NOT have a single D-man like him. They do things as a team. I understand that and again, mentioned it in my post as one of the main reasons they are where they are today.

But what I DIDN'T mention in my post was that while Vegas did a good job against the Kings in keeping them to 4 goals in 4 games, the Knights themselves didn't score too much more, though obviously it was enough to beat LA.

I think that will have to change against the Sharks, as the Knights may not be able to get away with just a goal or two.

I do believe the Knights CAN do more on offense than they did in the LA series (remember, Quick and his defense were pretty good too!), but they will have to show it against the Sharks, who, in cased you missed it, DO play a good defensive game in addition to being a bit more capable on offense than the Kings were.

To me, the big wildcard here is Martin Jones.

If the Martin Jones that faltered at times during the season shows up, then Vegas could have this series pretty handily.

But if the Jones that shows up is the #1 guy San Jose knows they have, and the same one that shut down a pretty good Anaheim offense, then the Knights will MORE than have their hands full.

As for "thuggery"...I made no mention of that. Being and playing physical doesn't automatically mean "thuggery". Anyone who knows playoff hockey knows that the physical play (clean physical play, and yea, some not so much), is ramped up.

And San Jose is well equipped to play that style of game....maybe even a bit better than the Knights as a team.

And just in case you tend to cherry pick your way through a post, I will point out that I DO have the Knights winning this in 7 (they are gonna have to work for it if they win), but still would not be surprised at a San Jose victory in the same amount of games.

Sharkies still have lots of guys who feel there is unfinished business and that could be motivation enough for them to match the large chip on the Vegas players' collective shoulders.

That is good stuff, I am not trying to pick your thoughts apart. I was pointing out some perspective. Like I said, I am a heavy Burns guy and have been for years. And I am not comparing stats. I am saying he had a disappointing season. I think he would say the same thing. Just because I live in Las Vegas does not make me automatically ignorant. People seem to think because you live in Las Vegas you have never followed, seen or even played Hockey before and therefore you know nothing.

The Sharks can play heavy and it won't make that big of a difference. I think they are better off clogging the neutral zone, trying to offset puck control and keep ice tilted. The 1-3-1 really gave the Knights problems during the regular season.  If you watched any of the Kings series, you saw that the Kings tried in Game 2 and especially in Game 3 to instigate, and focused on thuggery instead of playing Hockey, Doughty was trying to be McSorely. That is not effective in the NHL anymore. I don't expect the same from the Sharks is what I pointing out.

I agree that the Sharks have to be thrilled getting Thornton back for the series, more skill and scoring. AND their fourth line, especially Sorensen played with a mission against the Ducks. It will be fun to see how that match up goes against Bellmare and the Knights fourth line. And honestly Jones and Fleury have to continue to play like they did in round 1. If Jones plays like he did against the ducks and they keep everything to the outside, San Jose could win the series. I am fairly certain Fleury will give up more than 3 goals against the Sharks, and they will score more than 7. 

So yeah, I can try to make an argument for the Sharks. But there are a lot more if's in the Sharks column than there are in the Knights column?

@Vegas Always Wins

Not calling anyone out personally, truthfully I had not read a single post by you until now. Impossible to make it personal about someone who I didn't even know existed.

I don't like the Knights, I want them to lose and lose often I am sick of the hoopla. I think Gallant is a mortal lock and should be for the Adams award with nobody else in the conversation, just a tremendous job. The Panthers should have never fired him. An truly great coach and I wish my Wings had fired blashill last year and brought our old feisty Winger back into the fold. Too late now.

I just think that it is funny when a new city gets a team and they start winning, these people come out of nowhere losing their minds. I have a cousin who lives just outside of Oklahoma City and when they stole the Sonics he suddenly became a basketball expert. They were near great but couldn't keep it together, now they are ordinary, fan interest is down.

To me when a team suffers and a fan base is established that is loyal and rabid once they begin to win everything is earned and deserved. Nothing personal, I just hate the Knights and hope they lose for the next five years, then lets see where the fans are. The ones that stick by the boys in spite of the losing deserve all the props once they get it together. Fair weather fans bore me. I bleed the Winged wheel for life, good or bad and I am more critical of my boys than anyone. When Holland is finally given a gold watch and shown the door and a real GM with 21st century vision puts it together I will be screaming myself hoarse for the guys and the fans who walked away when times were bad who are suddenly back, well I have no time for them.

So again, sorry if you took it personal. I just want your boys to lose every night because an expansion team going deep into the playoffs feels just wrong to me. 

This series is impossible to predict. I was listening the SiriusXM last night on my way home from work, and Patrick O'Sullivan said it best: the two series EVERYONE thought would be the longest, hardest series of the first round ended in 4-0 sweeps.

I am in the same boat. I thought the Kings would win in 7 based on their playoff experience. But Jeff Carter looked like he needed to be in a hospital, and everyone not named Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Quick was already on the golf courses.

I thought the Ducks would win in 7 because of home ice, but the Sharks actually looked like the fast team they needed to be in the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals.

I said Vegas in 6. Vegas is incredibly fast and tenacious. I don't see them sweeping away the Sharks, who are miles ahead of their in-state rivals. I just don't see why you would bet against the Golden Knights at this point. 

I tell you what, though. The goaltending in this series has a chance to amaze. Both Martin Jones and Marc-Andre Fluery were great in the first round, and neither team really did much to say "we are going to score five goals a night." I'm ignoring Game 3 in San Jose, because they didn't score more than 3 in any other game.

Also, I don't know if you even want Joe Thornton to come back at this point. The guy is still a great player. He was leading the team in points when he went down. But Vegas will likely expose him for not being the best skater. I have been drooling over the thought of a Kane-Thornton-Pavelski line, but I'm not sure that we want that right now... If they go down 2-0, yeah, you put in the Hall of Famer, but before that? I'm not so sure... He would be fine against Nashville or Winnipeg or Colorado, but I don't know if he would be the best against VGK.

Seems like Evander Kane has really given the Sharks a lift  They are battle tested at this level and I believe that gives them an edge.  I just cannot believe in an expansion team getting to the conference final.  I do not believe it and I will pick against them here.  But they have defied logic so far. Does anyone know if there are slot machines at the ticket holders seats?  I am sure they are in the lobbies.

Life is good lately.

I get married in less than 3 months. I left a job I have been at 17 years that has been eating me alive in the last few years for an equivalent job + government pension where a lot of my friends have gone to work and is much more chill. I won the All stars Fantasy hockey pool for the first time. I am currently leading the playoff pool in points.

I feel like everything is going well for me. I feel like the sharks are going to do well :)

22 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Life is good lately.

I get married in less than 3 months. I left a job I have been at 17 years that has been eating me alive in the last few years for an equivalent job + government pension where a lot of my friends have gone to work and is much more chill. I won the All stars Fantasy hockey pool for the first time. I am currently leading the playoff pool in points.

I feel like everything is going well for me. I feel like the sharks are going to do well :)

Congrats my friend on a great year. Currently I am sitting on the ocean in Hawaii (for 3 more days) visiting my daughter and enjoying my best vacation ever.

Good luck to the Sharks. I hate the Knights and consider them a fraud who do not belong and hope that the Sharks stomp them in 4 easy games.

24 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL @yave1964

He keeps poking the knight....  :lol:

Just don't like em at all. Not one bit. It feels fake and counterfeit for an expansion team to be in the playoffs, the only reason I want them to lose in 4 is because they cannot lose in 3, lol. 

BTW Good luck with your Bolts, they look like monsters and saw the Wild relieved Fletcher of his duties. Good move.

19 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Life is good lately.

Right on, J0e. Glad things are going well for ya. :toast: 

I actually think the Sharks will take this one. 

But I hope it's all right that I want both teams to lose. ;) 

In my defense I want to say that I wanted the same for 

Sharks v. Ducks. 

I'm incorrigible: it's because I contracted a serious case 

of :kings: tribalism in my youth. :ahappy: 

19 hours ago, yave1964 said:

...I hate the Knights and consider them a fraud who do not belong and hope that the Sharks stomp them in 4 easy games.

This expansion team!

That makes the playoffs in its first year! 

That has the nerve to beat my Kings! 

:rage: 

My team was supposed to miss the postseason this year or 

make it to the Conference Finals and lose to the Preds. 

Someone get me Bettman on the phone! 

3 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

This expansion team!

That makes the playoffs in its first year! 

That has the nerve to beat my Kings! 

:rage:

My team was supposed to miss the postseason this year or 

make it to the Conference Finals and lose to the Preds. 

Someone get me Bettman on the phone! 

He can't take any of your calls right now...

Too busy trying to figure out how he can orchestrate an Original Six team vs Winnipeg in the Finals.

He can't have a disaster such as Nashville vs Tampa Bay!  :cointoss:

Archived