Hakstol made the Right Changes for game 5

hf101

Brilliant line-up tonight.  

For all the doubter's out there... who think Hak isn't the right guy for this team.

A bigger lineup is what is needed to defeat the Penguins.  This was a fun game to watch 

Great Win Boys!  

Hopefully, Provorov is ok.

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

For all the doubter's out there... who think Hak isn't the right guy for this team.

A bigger lineup is what is needed to defeat the Penguins.  This was a fun game to watch 

Great Win Boys!  

What happened to Ivan?

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Great Win Boys!  

Provorov's injury is concerning. 

The Flyers were a lot more physical tonight and that really slowed down the Pens.  How about Neuvy standing on his head!  And he did it without getting injured!

It seems like when the whole World is against the Flyers/Coaching they stick together and pull out ahead.

Coaching was definitely a highlight to this game, and lines where answered to questions posed.

So what was the starting and ending line ups for the team?

Giroux Filppula Voracek

Konency Patrick Raffle

Laughton  Couturier  Simmonds

Weise  Lehtera  Read

Provorov  MacDonald

Hagg  Ghost

Manning Gudas

18 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I hope it turns out to be just a bad bruise or something. Provy is our most important dman.

Well you probably won't hear anything about it but he's day to day or a game time decision.... Just hope the kid is ok , you have a tough time replacing him if it's serious, that kid is a machine back there , but he's a tuff little nut I think he'll be back next game for sure. And kudos to gudass for sticking up for G and going after oleksiak (how ever you spell it) but way to go , support all over the ice also team wide.... On to Sunday.....

Borak said he saw him get on the bus (Ivan) and walked in and got in normal with no look of injury to him, so hope that's a good thing to consider.

I like how they comment about Ivan after a collision or hit, where they think he needs an amputation and the next day he bounces back like nothing.j

I'm sorry but I still think the flyers got dominated.  Too many turnovers and they were getting peppered the entire game.   Neuvirth let in 2 softies but came up huge when he had to.

Who missed their assignment on the late chance by Crosby?  It's not like it was some bottom 6 player that found an open spot in the slot, it was Sidney Crosby left all by himself standing at the corner of the far post.  How does that happen???

As far as the lineup, I do think it helped.  Inserting weise was smart but I'd rather see read out.  The best move and a move that should have happened 20 games ago is Hagg.  I don't know how you can leave him out of the lineup.  However, they took the wrong guy out and kept manning.

I didn't feel really confident after that win.

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

Great Win Boys!  

I'm sorry, i know they won but i really disagree with the "brilliant" lineup thing.  I actually think it reads like propaganda, honestly. 

I like Hagg back in the lineup and have asked for him (what the hell took so long? That's not brilliance. That's finally doing something that should be obvious but well late), but Filppula on the top line is as utterly stupid as it was yesterday and accomplished nothing on 5v5 other than to screw up several lines.  The Pens didn't bring their game or we'd be looking forward to the draft right now. 

The result probably (unfortunately) means the players saved this idiot's job, but his lineup was whatever the opposite of brilliant is.   

And I'm not doubter. I have no doubt. I don't just think he's the wrong guy for the team. I know it. He's the wrong guy for the NHL. 

@ruxpin

I hear ya, but the reality is the moves paid dividends. 

Filppula had three points, including a SHG to tie things up when the Pens could have put us away for good.

Neuvirth came up with the momentum changing saves when the team needed them (softies notwithstanding lol),

Weise was the right choice over Lindblom. He came out hitting and played a more noticeable game than Oskar.

His new defense pairings came out ok.

I wouldn’t call his changes brilliant, but i definitely give him credit for making the kind of changes that sparked some secondary scoring (Filp) and a more aggressive game. Even Hakstol was yelling at the refs and trying to get his players riled up.

Yes, it will looked like the Flyers were in survival mode for 40 minutes, but that won’t change. The Pens are better, The best we can do is hope for two more goaltending performances like that and keep taking the body to the Pens.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

@ruxpin

I hear ya, but the reality is the moves paid dividends. 

Filppula had three points, including a SHG to tie things up when the Pens could have put us away for good.

Neuvirth came up with the momentum changing saves when the team needed them (softies notwithstanding lol),

Weise was the right choice over Lindblom. He came out hitting and played a more noticeable game than Oskar.

His new defense pairings came out ok.

I wouldn’t call his changes brilliant, but i definitely give him credit for making the kind of changes that sparked some secondary scoring (Filp) and a more aggressive game. Even Hakstol was yelling at the refs and trying to get his players riled up.

Yes, it will looked like the Flyers were in survival mode for 40 minutes, but that won’t change. The Pens are better, The best we can do is hope for two more goaltending performances like that and keep taking the body to the Pens.

Neuvirth was the difference. Good goaltending was the difference. Yeah, the coach accidentally put the right goalie in. Let's make a statue of Hak. 

Filppula would or wouldn't have scored the shortie completely independent of Hak's putting him on the first line idiocy (that he'll repeat because it "worked").  The funny thing about repeating things because they "worked" is that didn't help at all from game 2 to game 3. The reason for game 2 and game 5 was goaltending.  That's just as much an acquittal of Hakstol as indictment.  He can really only put in net what he has. If they're not going to be consistent from one game to the next, there's not a lot he can do there. 

Weis probably wasn't a horrible move and I give him no credit for Hagg. You don't get credit for waiting until game 5 to do the blatantly obvious.  Throwing the life preserver after the downing victim has stopped breathing doesn't get you a medal. 

Ultimately, the difference was goaltending and the fact the Penguins didn't bring their game.  Nothing Hak did was remotely brilliant. Most of it was no kidding and the rest wasn't actually consequential. He'll play the same "brilliant' lineup on Sunday that will slump to the handshake line. 

55 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm sorry, i know they won but i really disagree with the "brilliant" lineup thing.  I actually think it reads like propaganda, honestly.

heh, heh, that might be somewhat true as it fires back at all of the "Fire Hakstol" comments on this forum.  I also knew it was a horribly written post when I clicked "submit reply".  :)  However, I chose to send it as an after- game discussion of the positive moves that were made.  

I don't think he is the wrong guy at all for this team. If anything I believe he is the right guy.   I'm annoyed at all of the negativity towards his coaching style.  "Stoic Stare"  bla, bla bla... etc. and yeah, decided a little positive posting was needed here.   Anger and emotional rants are not the best way to motivate folks to do their best, imo. I think he reads the team really well and gives opportunities to excel.  At the same time if he see's an area of a players game that needs improvement he'll drop ice time, bench. etc.  He will also move players around to help improve a line, ie get that line some scoring.  He never calls out his players directly in the media, but I'm rather certain they hear him behind closed doors.  

As in the case with Filppula yesterday. Placing him on on the first line was brilliant as Giroux needs a defensively sound center to give him some space.   Not that Patrick didn't do a solid job, but Filppula has a little more experience and obviously the move showed in his best game thus far.

As for Hagg,  I don't know the real reason of why he wasn't playing earlier.  Was he nursing some injury late in the year?? I don't know.  But being out of the line-up also gave ice time to Sanheim.  It's all a part of the player - growth - opportunities which is needed too.  The Flyers didn't beat the Pens all season with Hagg in the lineup.  Maybe Hakstol felt a faster roster would be best against the Penguins?  I don't know.  Maybe it also wasn't so much Hagg playing as it was moving Ghost off the top line?

I'm happy they got the win, and I hope they can win one at home and take this to a game 7.   

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

As in the case with Filppula yesterday. Placing him on on the first line was brilliant as Giroux needs a defensively sound center to give him some space.   Not that Patrick didn't do a solid job, but Filppula has a little more experience and obviously the move showed in his best game thus far.

Coots was back.  I'm not at all impressed with the switch. 

All good with your original post. I knew what you were doing and was just giving it back. 

I've gone to the dark side on this coach. No quarter and no going back. I have no doubt we have another season.  I think it should be reasonably obvious at this point that sound goaltending will significantly help whatever Hak is doing. So go get the goaltending. It's only fair to this coach and the players. 

We'll see how next year goes.  Worst case, for me, and what would make me sour on Hextall, is if Hak has a short leash and gets yanked early in the season.  I think that's worst case. 

But I think the decent goaltending theory gets him the benefit of the doubt. 

39 minutes ago, hf101 said:

As in the case with Filppula yesterday. Placing him on on the first line was brilliant as Giroux needs a defensively sound center to give him some space. 

Fil definitely played a lot better than I thought he would. I don't know whether he's capable of maintaining that level of play, but he took advantage of a more prominent role last night for sure. I'd say he warrants a second run in that spot next game at least.

Neuvirth though. He has to be the most aggravating player on the team. Aside from one bad goal, he was stellar all game. Where was this guy during the reg season? Why can't he stay healthy for more than a dozen games at best in a year?

At this point, it looks like Neuvirth enjoys being the playoff saviour kind of guy. He ups his game considerably every time. As great as that is, it makes him aggravating to have around.

If Elliott was in net last night, I expect our tune around here would be very different. We'll never know of course, but Elliott has not played a single game this year at the level Neuvirth showed last night.

Anyway, this is definitely a one game at a time case. The team is running on fumes right now. Neuvirth will have to do it again tomorrow, and someone in front of him will have to step up with some heroics. Provo was as effective as ever in wrecking the Crosbys and Malkins and everything else the Pens threw on to the ice. He'll need to show that level of play again tomorrow. *injury fingers crossed*

Finally, I want to see Giroux. Yeah, he got a goal last night, but that was largely due to Fil's hard work. G needs to step it up pronto to avoid becoming a regular season guy.

Another note for me: Couts may be blossoming into a prominent leadership role before our eyes. It's not really something we hear about much, but his role in last nights game, despite being very clearly injured, is deserving of a lot of respect imo.

All in all, Couts, Fil, Provo, and Neuvirth combined to win that game. We're going to need that again and more tomorrow. The Pens are not interested in a game seven situation.

11 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Flyers were out shot 32 - 25 but they out hit the Pens 48 - 25.  

The Flyers looked much heavier on the ice and it's good to see some signs of life, but they are a Very Long climb out of this hole.

Pens still got their shots and will make adjustments for Sunday. Need this effort to continue and probably need more in front of the home fans.

The Flyers are capable of winning the series, but also capable of having their doors blown off.

We'll see on Sunday.

12 hours ago, hf101 said:

Great Win Boys!  

Even a retarded squirrel finds a nut from time to time...

And how about that bum Couts!?!?!?!  

I like you rabble rousing on this post though :haha:

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Neuvirth was the difference. Good goaltending was the difference. Yeah, the coach accidentally put the right goalie in. Let's make a statue of Hak. 

Why you hef to be med? :)

It wasn’t accidental. He could have gone Mrazek. He could have gone back to Elliott, the very same guy that he called “our guy all year” just the day before. 

But instead, he went with the injury-prone Neuvirth who hadn’t played a complete game in over two months. The guy who most fans have pretty much written off and would gladly buy his ticket out of town.

It was a gutsy call that turned out to be the right one. Not brilliant, not genius. Just a smart read on his team and goalies. No statue required ;)

Filppula would or wouldn't have scored the shortie completely independent of Hak's putting him on the first line idiocy (that he'll repeat because it "worked").  The funny thing about repeating things because they "worked" is that didn't help at all from game 2 to game 3. The reason for game 2 and game 5 was goaltending.  That's just as much an acquittal of Hakstol as indictment.  He can really only put in net what he has. If they're not going to be consistent from one game to the next, there's not a lot he can do there. 

Agree, maybe the shortie happens anyway. But he also made the Giroux goal happen, and perhaps the coach showing confidence in him and expecting a bigger role in an elimination game sparked him.

Or maybe he got lucky and there’s absolutely no correlation.

Either way, he got 3 points in a game that mattered and was a big reason we won last night.

Weis probably wasn't a horrible move and I give him no credit for Hagg. You don't get credit for waiting until game 5 to do the blatantly obvious.  Throwing the life preserver after the downing victim has stopped breathing doesn't get you a medal. 

Yup, Weise was the right call and I’m sure everyone skewered him for it. I sure didn’t like the idea. But it was the right call, especially over Lindblom who was really giving them nothing. 

As for Hagg, I don’t know. I had no problem with him being scratched. He didn’t do anything great last night, but he and Sanheim play different games, so that seems to be part of the reasoning. Hak likes heavy lol. 

Yeah, I know. Manning and Gudas. But you know, they played decent last night. Gudas stood up for G, and Manning was getting up in Malkin’s grill. We need more players like him, albeit more skilled! Sanheim is charmin’ soft.

Ultimately, the difference was goaltending and the fact the Penguins didn't bring their game.  Nothing Hak did was remotely brilliant. Most of it was no kidding and the rest wasn't actually consequential. He'll play the same "brilliant' lineup on Sunday that will slump to the handshake line. 

I agree about goaltending. No question. I said it after Game 2 that we need 3 more goaltending performances like that to win the series. We will not win on offense alone against this team.

I think the Pens did bring their game, though. Man, it looked like a Pens PP for 40 minutes. Insane talent level and execution. But puck luck went our way, and Neuvirth came up huge when he needed to.

5-2 Flyers tomorrow :)

1 hour ago, brelic said:

guy that he called “our guy all year” just the day before. 

But instead, he went with the injury-prone Neuvirth who hadn’t played a complete game in over two months. The guy who most fans have pretty much written off and would gladly buy his ticket out of town.

It was a gutsy call that turned out to be the right one. Not brilliant, not genius. Just a smart read on his team and goalies. No statue required ;)

Decent post altogether.   You're right that he could have gone with goalies that have been epic failures.  This wasn't gutsy to me. This was a no-brainer.  The only risk is he gets hurt, but for me he plays until he does. 

6 hours ago, radoran said:

they are a Very Long climb out of this hole.

One game at a time....some better goaltending went a long way...if Elliott was in net this would have been a 6-4 loss.

Archived