• Predators in 5
    • Predators in 6
    • Predators in 7
    • Jets Sweep 4-0
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7

JetsPreds.jpg

All discussion regard the Predators / Jets Round 2 Playoff Series should be here.

Time / Date:

Nashville Predators (C1) vs. Winnipeg Jets (C2)

Friday, April 27, 8pm: Jets @ Predators | NBCSN, CBC, SN360, TVA Sports

Sunday, April 29, 7pm: Jets @ Predators | NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Tuesday, May 1, 8pm: Predators @ Jets | CNBC, CBC, TVA Sports

Thursday, May 3, 9:30pm: Predators @ Jets | NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

*Saturday, May 5, TBD: Jets @ Predators | TBD

*Monday, May 7, TBD: Predators @ Jets | TBD

*Thursday, May 10, TBD: Jets @ Predators | TBD

This should be one hell of a rockin, raucous series, and will be my go-to Western series (sorry San Jose-Vegas, but these two should put on quite the show) and I expect NO letdown games by either side, regardless of which team comes out winner that day.

Both teams sport loud, rabid, and feisty fanbases, both combine power and speed with good goaltending, either could have just as easily won the Central, and both absolutely deserve to be in Round 2 after dispatching pretenders Minnesota and Colorado.

That all said, even with the playoff surge the Jets have put on, I STILL like the Nashville Predators here.

I believe they sport, top to bottom, one of the more complete, if not THE most complete team, in the NHL and can pretty much do it all, play any style game, and are still smarting from coming so close last year to lifting the Cup.

Putting aside that awful game the Wild played while the Jets closed them out, Minnesota DID do some things that caused some problems for the Jets.

Minny at times, showcased some speed through the neutral zone and often caught Jets' defensemen napping, creating damned good scoring chances for the Wild.

Problem for Minnesota, of course, was they missed and squandered many opportunities and Connor Hellebuyck was also that damned good.

If the Jets give those same opportunities to the Predators, I believe they will find Nashville will burn them more often than not and even Hell Boy will be hard pressed to keep pulling off miracles like he did in the Wild series.

Also, Winnipeg, one of the most penalized teams in the league due to their aggressive style, will HAVE to watch themselves and not give Nashville too many man advantage situations, as again, I believe the Preds can shred the Jets there where the Wild couldn't.

Winnipeg has a bit of a size advantage on Nashville and will need to use that, staying true to their combo of speed and power, but like mentioned already, not get too crazy and take dumb penalties.

Hellebuyck will really have his work cut out for him dueling with Pekka Rinne who is in seach of the Vezina (ok, ok, Hellebuyck has JUST as much a shot at that award too!), and the series could come down to goalie lapses on either side.

Damned good series, but in the end, I think Nashville prevails and appear, once again, in the West Finals with a shot at the Eastern Champion after that.

Preds in 6

Jets in 6. The looked better overall in the first round, and the goaltending is a wash. The Preds probably have a deeper roster, but the Jets have the more talented top guys (Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele) at forward. I say Ehlers has 10 points in 6 games, including the series-clinching goal.

2 hours ago, belowthegoalline said:

Jets in 6. The looked better overall in the first round, and the goaltending is a wash. The Preds probably have a deeper roster, but the Jets have the more talented top guys (Ehlers, Laine, Scheifele) at forward. I say Ehlers has 10 points in 6 games, including the series-clinching goal.

Hmm....for sure the three guys you mentioned are good, but I dunno...... Forsberg, Arvidsson, and Johansen are no slouches on Nashville's side up front.  

In a series like this, I think those three guys can be every bit the problem for the Jets as Ehlers, Laine, and Scheifele can be the other way.

And then, the Predators have guys whom most people don't think of as "big threats", but always seem to come up with goals when you least expect them to....  Kevin Fiala and Austin Watson come to mind.

But what REALLY drives the forwards is the attack from the blueline the Preds are capable of.

Just needing to mind Nashville defensemen jumping into plays will free up all sorts of room for Preds' forwards. 

To say Winnipeg will have their hands full containing guys is an understatement!

But again, all sorts of outstanding match ups both ways, and the reason I think this series will be more enjoyable to watch than the Vegas-San Jose series, despite the fact the Knights continue to make history.

Admittedly I haven’t paid much attention to the Western Conference or watched many games. Had no idea the Jets were so solid. Is it me or is every other team in the league faster than the Flyers?

Mason also looks good so far....oh wait :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

The Preds have the better d, Winny better forwards so that might be a wash or is it?

I've always felt that a true champion needs a proper #1 center and I don't think Nashville's centers are close to #1 quality, I would say that Winterpeg's Schieffle and Statsny  are better than Nashville's centers and Little might be as good as any Nash center.

This is what I've always thought but LV is throwing a wrench into a lot of my long held beliefs. We know that a subpar d can win a Cup as per Pitts last year. So is a great d as essential as great forwards, no team can win it all without scoring. 

Goaltending seems like it should have a huge bearing but we've seen Chicago with Niemi and Carolina with Ward win Cups so I would think hot goaltending rather than great goaltending is more essential.

Winterpeg in 6, me thinks.

Here's how I see it:

Winnipeg              Nashville

Mark Scheifele > Ryan Johansen

Patrik Laine > Viktor Arvidsson

Nikolaj Ehlers < Filip Forsberg

Blake Wheeler > whoever you think is the 4th best forward for the Preds

Bryan Little > Kyle Turris

Jets depth << Nashville depth

Nashville probably has a better chance in the playoffs with a deeper team. The third line for Nashville might be the best in the playoffs.

Dustin Byfuglien = PK Subban (they bring different things to the table, but they are still both really good

Jacob Trouba < Roman Josi

Josh Morissey < Ryan Ellis

Tyler Myers > Mattias Ekholm

For me, Nashville probably has the better defensive group.

Connor Hellybuyck = Pekka Rinne

Goaltending is a wash. I don't know how you can argue otherwise.

For me, this all comes down to goaltending. The top forwards of the Jets are better, but the strength of the Preds is their blueline and depth. If Pekka Rinne can show up in Game 2, there's not reason why they can't even the series.

Jets were lucky to win Game 1. The Jets had one helluva time with the Preds' forecheck as well as their neutral zone. If they don't get better at managing that, they could be in trouble. 

Still, the Jets can play much better, especially their D (Morrisey had an off game as did Myers, Buff was great), which has to worry the Preds.

good game... Jets took advantage of a couple lucky bounces to get them back in it on the scoreboard and did well after that. like most games this postseason i saw (what i thought) were a bunch of questionable calls that benefitted one team over another. but Jets took them and didn't look back. that's how to win in the playoffs. 

11 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

good game... Jets took advantage of a couple lucky bounces to get them back in it on the scoreboard and did well after that. like most games this postseason i saw (what i thought) were a bunch of questionable calls that benefitted one team over another. but Jets took them and didn't look back. that's how to win in the playoffs. 

I thought every single call - on both sides - was lame. In fact, the officiating has been dreadful all 3 games, mostly benefiting NSH. Just lame calls. Last night you just knew the Jets would get some PPs later in the game after being short a few times early. Plus, the refs watch the scoreboard I guess. 

Despite the  persistent attempt by refs to ruin the game of hockey, it was a very entertaining game.

Arvidsson is lucky to be alive today, having missed a big black Mack truck going 90 by mere inches.

Wow.

4-0 Preds.

The Jets did know there was a game tonight?

Makes for an epic game 7 I say.

Wow didn't realize Scott Hartnell has scored a playoff point since 2013-14.

Dayum!

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow.

4-0 Preds.

The Jets did know there was a game tonight?

Makes for an epic game 7 I say.

Wow didn't realize Scott Hartnell has scored a playoff point since 2013-14.

Dayum!

I'm going to go all Rick on this and predict the Preds win comfortably in Game 7.  

Nashville vs. Las Vegas in the WCF.  Wow. Somewhere Elvis is smiling (I know Graceland is in Memphis but it's the same state.) :dizzysmiley-1:

The numbers through 6 games:

1hbdap1wi2x01.png

I hope the Jets win. I always felt both a great kinship *with* their fans, and when the team left, a great empathy *for* them as well. I don't know what people in this world deserve, but I know they've more than paid their dues.

Wow have we seen the end of Rinne is Nashville tonight??

Strange i know but it seems he can struggle in big games....

...i mean he will be 36 next year...and only one more year on his contract for 7 mill in 2018-19.

And it's going to be quite the matchup. Honestly I'm quite happy with how the playoffs have gone so far with great teams making it through the rounds so far. I'm hoping for the Jets to pull off a bit of an upset against Vegas, but it'll be a hard one for them.

Archived