Post first round musings

nossagog

First off, I have to be honest, I missed a lot of the first round.  Too much golf, wait, no, that's not right, that just can't be.  Just bad timing on the games.  I saw a lot of the games in replay the next day.  So some of my thoughts may not fit all of the games. Anyway, here goes.

1) Goaltending was okay, but not great. When you close out a series with an 8-5 victory, and give up 5 and 3 in loses, well, we have to get a little bit better.   A couple leaky goals in the last game, but Murray has been pretty good.  I'd like to see him moving out better on wrap arounds as he did in prior years to help out the defense, but I think that a team strategy to make the safe plays.

2) Bottom lines were pretty good in this series.   Brass has been a good fit in the system and Shahen is working well as the fourth line center.   I think the whole "We Lost Boninoboninoboninobonino" thing can now be forgotten.

3) Power play needs a little work.  We're getting back to the passpasspasspass thing, and passing up oppurtunities to shoot and grind.  In addition, I'd rather see two offensive defenseman on the PP, expecially with the lead, as we were too loose with the puck several times this series. 5 for 15 is not bad,  but three games we were 0for with not a lot of chances.

4) PK pretty good at 2 goals in 21 attempts, but I think moving forward the next round is going to be tougher with a team that will put more pucks on net.  No bemeaning the Flyers, but they passed up a lot of shot chances from the point.   Maybe we have the same PP coach.

5) Depth scoring was not bad. Twelve different Pens scored goals in the series.   Yes we were top heavy, but getting that goal or two from the bottom lines is important moving forward.

6) Top dogs were the top dogs. The Pens top players played like top players. Will get tougher moving forward, but its a good confidence builder.

7) Defensively the team did not give up too many odd man rushes, which is good.  And although they got pinned in a few times per game, as will happen, they did not seem to panic.   Really liking how Ollie Maatta has come around. I have to admit that I have had my doubts on him, but I was wroooo, wrooon, well let's just say I may not have been TOTALLY right.  Dumo is really looking good, and Shultz and Oleksiak are looking like steals now.   Letang, meh, some bad decisions and bad penalties. At the ammount he's being paid, I'm expecting more.

8) The team came out with a few dings.  Still waiting to see how Malkin is, hope that's not too bad.   Hornqvist was good in game 6, so with a few days rest, he should be at 100% by round two.  Still also waiting to see about Hagelin, the shot to the face by Giroux seemed to cause some damage, not sure if he was held out the rest of the game just on precaution or what.

9) (just for our Flyers friends) The officiating was pretty bad in the series.   I mean how much are we paying Uncle Gary to make sure we win?    Only 4 more Power Plays during the series is putrid.   We may have to go with another comissioner who can gaurentee at least a +2 in PP's per game.

One round down, against a historical rival, three to go.   We're living on bonus time with two consecutive cups in the bank, but it still feels good.

What's the most consecutive playoffs series have the Penguins won in their history? I believe it's 9 (which they did twice 4 in '91, 4 in 92 and 1 in 93) they have presently have won 9 straight and counting! 

7 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

What's the most consecutive playoffs series have the Penguins won in their history? I believe it's 9 (which they did twice 4 in '91, 4 in 92 and 1 in 93) they have presently have won 9 straight and counting! 

Yeah, that was after the other back to back championships.   That was a shame as I think that the 92-93 Penguins were their best team of all time.    I think it was David Volek that ended the run in overtime that year, at home in game seven even. .

35 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Yeah, that was after the other back to back championships.   That was a shame as I think that the 92-93 Penguins were their best team of all time.    I think it was David Volek that ended the run in overtime that year, at home in game seven even. .

We never could beat the Islanders in the playoffs! 

14 hours ago, nossagog said:

First off, I have to be honest, I missed a lot of the first round.  Too much golf, wait, no, that's not right, that just can't be.  Just bad timing on the games.  I saw a lot of the games in replay the next day.  So some of my thoughts may not fit all of the games. Anyway, here goes.

1) Goaltending was okay, but not great. When you close out a series with an 8-5 victory, and give up 5 and 3 in loses, well, we have to get a little bit better.   A couple leaky goals in the last game, but Murray has been pretty good.  I'd like to see him moving out better on wrap arounds as he did in prior years to help out the defense, but I think that a team strategy to make the safe plays.

2) Bottom lines were pretty good in this series.   Brass has been a good fit in the system and Shahen is working well as the fourth line center.   I think the whole "We Lost Boninoboninoboninobonino" thing can now be forgotten.

3) Power play needs a little work.  We're getting back to the passpasspasspass thing, and passing up oppurtunities to shoot and grind.  In addition, I'd rather see two offensive defenseman on the PP, expecially with the lead, as we were too loose with the puck several times this series. 5 for 15 is not bad,  but three games we were 0for with not a lot of chances.

4) PK pretty good at 2 goals in 21 attempts, but I think moving forward the next round is going to be tougher with a team that will put more pucks on net.  No bemeaning the Flyers, but they passed up a lot of shot chances from the point.   Maybe we have the same PP coach.

5) Depth scoring was not bad. Twelve different Pens scored goals in the series.   Yes we were top heavy, but getting that goal or two from the bottom lines is important moving forward.

6) Top dogs were the top dogs. The Pens top players played like top players. Will get tougher moving forward, but its a good confidence builder.

7) Defensively the team did not give up too many odd man rushes, which is good.  And although they got pinned in a few times per game, as will happen, they did not seem to panic.   Really liking how Ollie Maatta has come around. I have to admit that I have had my doubts on him, but I was wroooo, wrooon, well let's just say I may not have been TOTALLY right.  Dumo is really looking good, and Shultz and Oleksiak are looking like steals now.   Letang, meh, some bad decisions and bad penalties. At the ammount he's being paid, I'm expecting more.

8) The team came out with a few dings.  Still waiting to see how Malkin is, hope that's not too bad.   Hornqvist was good in game 6, so with a few days rest, he should be at 100% by round two.  Still also waiting to see about Hagelin, the shot to the face by Giroux seemed to cause some damage, not sure if he was held out the rest of the game just on precaution or what.

9) (just for our Flyers friends) The officiating was pretty bad in the series.   I mean how much are we paying Uncle Gary to make sure we win?    Only 4 more Power Plays during the series is putrid.   We may have to go with another comissioner who can gaurentee at least a +2 in PP's per game.

One round down, against a historical rival, three to go.   We're living on bonus time with two consecutive cups in the bank, but it still feels good.

Great post! Spot on as always.  I would add...

Sheahan really stepped up when he got bumped up to center the 2nd line. Not hyperbole to say that was his best game as a Penguin all things considered. 

When they have a chance to end a series they HAVE to do it. Every game played is another chance for injuries (see: Hagelin in Game 6) and another much needed day of rest that they don't get.

There is an NBA playoff game Friday night in Washington.  If we are lucky they start this series on Saturday. The NHL could start it Thursday night but that means putting Game 1 of your premier playoff match-up against the 1st round of the NFL Draft. If they do start Thursday, I can see a Sunday matinee for Game 2. Either way, Pens get some rest which is key with Malkin and Hagelin banged up.

7 hours ago, nossagog said:

Well the current word is that both Malkin and Hagelin are day to day.   Malkin lower body, Hagelin upper body(probably concussion protocol with the shoulder to the face from Giroux).

If they can steal Game 1 on the road sans Malkin and Hagelin...

Archived