Eastern Conference: Round 2 - #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 2 - #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Series?

• Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Peguins Sweep in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

2 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Malkin was in the game day skate yesterday, but not ready.  He says he feels good, but that's the player.   Do the Pens hold him out another game since they won game one?  Who knows.  Will probably know better after two more days of practice and see if he's in a normal line combo.

If I’m the Pens management, I don’t give the player the choice. They already got the split at a minimum before heading home. Sit him and give him a few more days to recover before Gm 3. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

If I’m the Pens management, I don’t give the player the choice. They already got the split at a minimum before heading home. Sit him and give him a few more days to recover before Gm 3. 

Depends, if he was close for game one, and two days rest makes him close to 100%, I get him in there and try to win game two.  Can't imagine the Caps psyche if the Pens win the first two games. If he's still 75%, then let him rest and go for game three. 

Didn't see the first period, was out watching the Blue Angels perform at the Myrtle Beach Air show.  Just had to walk out my door.

Real good come back win for the Caps after losing game one.  Don't know if the Pens defense can take more hits.  If Dumo is down, he's one of the best puck movers and will really be missed.  The Caps will just up the anti on the fore check, which the Pens are already having issues with. Too often their exposing themselves to hits on the boards by pinning the and waiting for help.  Pens are not built for physical play, Hornqvist is the only real regular that will use the body often. 

Pens tried to up their fore check in the third, but that was too little too late.  Think they need to Murphy dump more, and make the Caps regroup.   

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Didn't see the first period, was out watching the Blue Angels perform at the Myrtle Beach Air show.  Just had to walk out my door.

Real good come back win for the Caps after losing game one.  Don't know if the Pens defense can take more hits.  If Dumo is down, he's one of the best puck movers and will really be missed.  The Caps will just up the anti on the fore check, which the Pens are already having issues with. Too often their exposing themselves to hits on the boards by pinning the and waiting for help.  Pens are not built for physical play, Hornqvist is the only real regular that will use the body often. 

Pens tried to up their fore check in the third, but that was too little too late.  Think they need to Murphy dump more, and make the Caps regroup.   

Good call on watching the Blues fly!   We own a rental property in Perdido Key FL which is right near the Pensacola NAS where the Blue Angles are based and we watch their rehearsals for free every time we go to our house there.  It never gets old.  My favorite thing ever is the "sneak pass" where they fly low to the ground at over 700 MPH (you can hear and feel it in your body) 

About the game...Caps came to play again and were super physical...that is the only strategy that seemed to work for the Flyers in R1.  I do have to say though I thought that the goal that was disallowed looked like a goal to me (even with Orange and Black glasses) and am not sure how they were not able to overturn the call on the ice.  I totally see how the official on the ice could call it no goal as it happened so fast and Holtby seemed to push it out quickly.  But I saw daylight between the puck and the line in the close ups that they were able to obtain on the broadcast.  Of course I didn't mind seeing a call goal go against your guys, but I am perplexed how they were not able to get it right as I could see that happening to the Flyers.

If the Caps keep up the hitting, they may win on the war of attrition alone.  Time will tell.

15 hours ago, nossagog said:

If Dumo is down, he's one of the best puck movers and will really be missed

He's been a revelation defensively too, I always thought he was so-so in his own end, in the series vs the Flyers he seemed to be everywhere, breaking up plays, tying guys up... he was playing at the best level i've seen from him, beyond my expectations for sure.

What do people think of the hit ? 

The outcome was unfortunate for certain.

Wilson's shoulder hits Doumolin's head square, is it a result of trying to brace for the Ovechkin hit?

Would that hit have been shoulder to should had Ovechkin not been involved ?

Was it a case where oh there's a guy's head might as well follow through with the ol' shoulder just like Darrel Steckel showed me in Hershey ?

I would not be surprised if Wilson sits, because of the primary point of contact and the fact he drove his shoulder through him. In real time, which is how it happened, I don't know if there's time to avoid the contact once Wilson committed to it. It looks terrible in the slow motion .gif.

Sort of seems like an unfortunate outcome of a fast physical game. 

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He's been a revelation defensively too, I always thought he was so-so in his own end, in the series vs the Flyers he seemed to be everywhere, breaking up plays, tying guys up... he was playing at the best level i've seen from him, beyond my expectations for sure.

Wilson's shoulder hits Doumolin's head square, is it a result of trying to brace for the Ovechkin hit?

Was it a case where oh there's a guy's head might as well follow through with the ol' shoulder just like Darrel Steckel showed me in Hershey ?

I would not be surprised if Wilson sits, because of the primary point of contact and the fact he drove his shoulder through him. In real time, which is how it happened, I don't know if there's time to avoid the contact once Wilson committed to it. It looks terrible in the slow motion .gif.

If it wasn't for Ovechkin coming in the other direction, there's not even a hit on that play as Wilson is playing catchup.   Dumo sees 8 coming and pulls up.   At that point I think Wilson goes for the hit.  I don't think he thought to target the head, but that's all he hit while leading with the shoulder.   I don't think he'll get anything for it.

One other question on game two, what did you think of the upheld Vrana goal.   Conolly intentionally pushes Murray's pad moving him back a little in net and off the post, a second later, Vrana scores, over the glove by the post that Murray moved away from .  Thought that would have been waved off.  But in the arena of goalie interference, I have no clue.

The Hornqvist thing, meh, if they didn't have that angle from NBC and only had overheads, no way to see through pads.  Tough break through.  But still needed to score again.

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If it's any other Capital it's a non-issue for me but it's Wilson so he doesn't get the benefit of doubt for me. He's an opportunistic player when it comes to hits like that and the Caps are desperate.  I agree with @nossagog though. I don't think he sits.

20 minutes ago, nossagog said:

One other question on game two, what did you think of the upheld Vrana goal.   Conolly intentionally pushes Murray's pad moving him back a little in net and off the post, a second later, Vrana scores, over the glove by the post that Murray moved away from .

I just rewatched it in the highlights on the site.

Yesterday i wondered why the Pens challenged it. Today it's a little more murky for me, the contact definitely did affect Murray.

When I think about that play i agree with Pierre McGuire...I "dunno". It seems like the contact needed to be temporally closer to the shot for that goal to be overturned, Connelly is able to get all the way out of the blue paint before Vrana releases the puck, well (relatively speaking) after the contact.

I think they got it right.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I just rewatched it in the highlights on the site.

Yesterday i wondered why the Pens challenged it. Today it's a little more murky for me, the contact definitely did affect Murray.

When I think about that play i agree with Pierre McGuire...I "dunno". It seems like the contact needed to be temporally closer to the shot for that goal to be overturned, Connelly is able to get all the way out of the blue paint before Vrana releases the puck, well after the contact.

I think they got it right.

That's the whole grey area of Goalie Interference, "what is well after the contact"   If you watch the clock, its one second from the time Connelly pushes his pad and the puck is in the net. If one second is well after contact, how can they measure what isn't.   I guess my problem with it is that he intentionally made the contact, it wasn't accidental. Yes it only throws him off for a second(see what I did there), but it did throw him off.  Isn't that the definition of goalie interference?

My thoughts on the game...

Wilson's hit on Dumoulin even though it did not look intentional was a pure shoulder to head hit. I am surprised that he did not get at the very least an in game penalty or even a 1 game suspension after the fact.

The Hornqvuist "goal" never appeared over the line in any of the camera views. I can surmise that it was across the line but there was not any video proof that showed it. By the time you had an overhead shot it was sitting on the line/partially across it but not fully. The homers that called the view conclusive proof was a pipe dream...no pun intended. It sure was funny watching the Pens bitch about legitimate penalties. It was nice to see the refs actually calling the penalties too. At least most of them.

33 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

My thoughts on the game...

Wilson's hit on Dumoulin even though it did not look intentional was a pure shoulder to head hit. I am surprised that he did not get at the very least an in game penalty or even a 1 game suspension after the fact.

The Hornqvuist "goal" never appeared over the line in any of the camera views. I can surmise that it was across the line but there was not any video proof that showed it. By the time you had an overhead shot it was sitting on the line/partially across it but not fully. The homers that called the view conclusive proof was a pipe dream...no pun intended. It sure was funny watching the Pens bitch about legitimate penalties. It was nice to see the refs actually calling the penalties too. At least most of them.

Agree with the Wilson hit.

Regarding the Hornqvist goal that was not....during the broadcast some of those zoom ins appeared to show a fair amount of white between the puck and the line.  There is no way the Refs on the ice could see that but Even as a serial Penguins hater I felt that it should have been overturned based on those images.  If that was a Flyer goal that was disallowed I would have hit the roof.  In the end though I was thrilled with the result and seeing the Pens frustrated for a change.  What I am curious about is why the NHL didn't have the images that we were being shown as I think that they would have overturned the call?  

33 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

The homers that called the view conclusive proof was a pipe dream.

Pretty sad that those homers are suppose to be the impartial National broadcast crew. They don’t even try to hide their love for the penguins anymore. I swear I saw Pierre fist bump Hornqvist when he came over to look at replay of the goal/non goal on Pierre’s monitor.

Pierre should just wear the Pens mascot outfit between the benches. At least then we wouldn't have to look at his stupid face when he's rambling on about how somebody played at Shattuck St. Marys, or how two players played on the same team when they were 12 years old, or whatever other useless information he comes up with. It's just another reason I try to find a Canadian feed during the playoffs. NBC's coverage blows.

All of Hagelin, Malkin and Doumolin practiced with the pens today, although Hagelin and Dumo had limited/no contact jerseys.  Sounds like Dumo is okay to go, but Hagelin may be a little longer.   From the attached article, managing pain and weight lose sounds like a broken jaw, but that just speculation. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-loose-confident-as-series-shifts-home/c-298349136

Series shifts to Pittsburgh .... curious to see how Game #3 pans out.  Caps need to go up early.  I don't like the Caps chances if the Pens should go up early in their own building.

16 hours ago, flyerrod said:

It sure was funny watching the Pens bitch about legitimate penalties. It was nice to see the refs actually calling the penalties too. At least most of them.

was kind of thinking the same thing ......

15 hours ago, Samifan said:

Pretty sad that those homers are suppose to be the impartial National broadcast crew. They don’t even try to hide their love for the penguins anymore

Sadly since ESPN cut ties with the NHL years ago.... we don't have much of a choice. :(

Wow, a great game in game three. Exciting down to the end with Ovie scoring with a little over a minute left.  Cudo's to the Caps defensively, held the Pens to 3 shots in the third period and really sustained most of the game.  

Wilson will be the talk of the town again, another Pen hit in the head.  Add to that him tripping up Maatta at the blue line leading to the Caps winner.   He certainly knows how to tow the line.

Its Playoff Hockey, Let Em Play

i thought the hit on aston-reese was a hell of a hit, but clean. Wilson did have another head shot (legit) prior to that one. not sure why aston-reese didn't get a penalty for throwing a glove into the caps bench. guess that's just playoffs, eh? refs gave wilson a penalty later for being crosschecked by oleksiak so i guess that's ok too because I don't like him either, haha. 

Archived