Eastern Conference: Round 2 - #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 2 - #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Series?

• Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Peguins Sweep in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

@nossagog

yeesh. was i wrong about that one? thought it was shoulder to chest, but guess i was wrong if he has a broken jaw. wilson has a well-earned reputation as a POS. 

it's still a penalty to throw your equipment into the other team's bench even if you're hurt, haha. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the last thing i would want to do is try to defend Tom Wilson, but this slow motion replay kind of makes it look like he was looking Aston Reese in the eyes and was going to hit him while he had his head low anyway. but what about in real time? which of you guys who've played hockey at a high level can say at that speed and timing that he could have adjusted? could he (or a generic "he" because we know Wilson would do it anyway) have avoided it in the time he had to set up to hit? it looked to me like he was going for the body, but Aston-Reese had his head lower than expected.... That said, even if everything was as it is, and Wilson had plenty of time to see where AR had his head, i'm pretty sure he still would have taken the head 9/10 times. but this time? i'm not so sure from this replay, but it could be exactly that. I'm still on the fence. Sucks the guy got injured but at the same time, i wish both teams would lose. 

Well here we are again, Tom Wilson knocking another guy into the future under questionable circumstances.

That's being generous.

The Dumoulin hit was a totally different set of circumstances and if it were a different player in that situation, much easier to give a benefit of the doubt. 

I do think this hit glanced off of ZAR's shoulder, Wilson clearly leaves his feet to hit him, there was a lot of contact to ZAR's head. a lot. This is enough smoke for me to say there's a fire.

I would be surprised if Wilson doesn't receive a suspension, if he doesn't I really don't think I have any more good will toward the DOPS for the league.  Like early Matt Cooke Wilson is not without hockey ability, but these guys getting knocked into next week always seem to happen with him and it can't always be, "well he's a big guy hitting a little guy".  

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Well here we are again, Tom Wilson knocking another guy into the future under questionable circumstances.

That's being generous.

The Dumoulin hit was a totally different set of circumstances and if it were a different player in that situation, much easier to give a benefit of the doubt. 

I do think this hit glanced off of ZAR's shoulder, Wilson clearly leaves his feet to hit him, there was a lot of contact to ZAR's head. a lot. This is enough smoke for me to say there's a fire.

I would be surprised if Wilson doesn't receive a suspension, if he doesn't I really don't think I have any more good will toward the DOPS for the league.  Like early Matt Cooke Wilson is not without hockey ability, but these guys getting knocked into next week always seem to happen with him and it can't always be, "well he's a big guy hitting a little guy".  

This is what does it for me. I get the incidental contact, etc. But...if you leave your feet to make a hit you are aiming/targeting "up" where one's head happens to be. At a minimum, it's (cough cough) incidental but recklesss...and a penalty. Worst case - he was targeting the head and should sit a game or two.

6 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

So much for free speech... Phuck you if you don't like my posts but don't remove them and leave ALL THE other schitt up !!!!!🖕

the free speech argument doesn't apply here.  You joined this community if you can't maintain a level of decorum, the mods reserve the right to censor. 

Even if the free speech crap would apply there are still consequences for that free speech. 

Don't behave like an ass and you'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the free speech argument doesn't apply here.  You joined this community if you can't maintain a level of decorum, the mods reserve the right to censor. 

Even if the free speech crap would apply there are still consequences for that free speech. 

Don't behave like an ass and you'll be fine.

I'm thinking if one needs to change the spelling of a word to gett something past a philter then phree speech kinda goes outt the window.

Getting back to the actual hockey - needless to say this is a must win for the Pens. if they lose tonight, I don't see "this" Caps team losing Game 5 at home with a chance to close out their long-time playoff nemesis.

Looks like Hagelin will be back which offsets (and then some) the loss of Aston-Reese.

Two big keys for the Pens...

1) Murray. Not saying he needs to steal a game but he needs to be "above-average" and make a few "wow" saves. He's been money in playoff games after a Pens loss. That trend needs to continue.

2) Secondary Scoring. The Guentzel/Crosby/Hornqvist line has been carrying the offense. Need some help from the 2nd and 3rd lines. Something clearly looks off with Kessel. Rust has vanished. Brassard has not had the expected impact. Those three need to take things up a notch starting tonight.

I'm hoping not having to worry about Wilson helps.

LGP...

Was great seeing Hagelin back in the lineup for the Pens, and with 16+ minutes of ice time, he did not seem out of game shape at all.

Was surprised to see that the Pens held Ovie without a shot last night.   I know that they are shading one of the forwards to his side on the PK to take away the one time chance, but they must have been blocking a lot of shots too.

All in all I think both teams had something to take away from the game.   Even though the Pens won, I think the Caps played a great game and pressured the Pens heavily at times.   Their fore check at time is just outstanding.   I mentioned once before, the Pens need to Murphy dump out of the zone and reset more.

Another great game tonight.  Think the Pens were the better team, but the Caps took advantage of some blunders by the defense in the third.   Pens on the ropes now,  Caps in the drivers seat. 

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Ovenchicken about to make it to his first conference finals ever?

Or am I drunk and need to put the phone down?

Hey remember, Don't count your Ovenchickens before they hatch!

Honestly though, I don't see them blowing this again.  It's a much more balanced team that's not relying soley on Ovie.  And defensively they're pretty solid.  

28 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Honestly though, I don't see them blowing this again.  It's a much more balanced team that's not relying soley on Ovie.  And defensively they're pretty solid.  

I'm leaning that way as well. Would I be shocked if this went 7 or the Pens even win in 7? Not at all. They've done it before. That said, I think this team is a little (a lot?) more banged up and has a lot less in the tank at this point. If they get two huge games from Murray (1-2 goals allowed type games) then they have a shot.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow Ovenchicken about to make it to his first conference finals ever?

Or am I drunk and need to put the phone down?

Both? :cheers:

On 4/26/2018 at 12:14 AM, thenewestlights said:

:lookingboard: Honestly I'm bored with this playoff matchup. 

Too many occurrences in too few seasons and it's 

the same result every time. I'm counting on Columbus :bluejackets: 

or some other team to prevent this same-old-same-old 

next time 'round. :waiting: 

Oh so you think the Capitals who are up 3-2 are done?  The team that outscored the defending champs 4-0 in the third are going to crumble?  I would not count on it.  Crosby himself said before this series that Washington is better prepared this time.  They are getting contributions from guys other than the usual, Ovy and Backstrom.  And their game on the road is very good and solid defense.  I am hoping the Caps end it tomorrow and i love their chances.  I am more mystified by Nashville's collapse last night.  I did not get to see it.  Shocking score. Go Tampa.  Go Caps.  Go Sharks.  

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Oh so you think the Capitals who are up 3-2 are done?  The team that outscored the defending champs 4-0 in the third are going to crumble?  I would not count on it.  Crosby himself said before this series that Washington is better prepared this time.  They are getting contributions from guys other than the usual, Ovy and Backstrom.  And their game on the road is very good and solid defense.  I am hoping the Caps end it tomorrow and i love their chances.  I am more mystified by Nashville's collapse last night.  I did not get to see it.  Shocking score. Go Tampa.  Go Caps.  Go Sharks.  

Thenewestlights wrote this on April 26th, HJ. It has no bearing on the current situation...but the Caps had damned well better win Game 6.

15 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Thenewestlights wrote this on April 26th, HJ. It has no bearing on the current situation...but the Caps had damned well better win Game 6.

You know, I like them to win game 6.  But I am not going to quit on them if they do not.  The can win game 7 at home.  They have been a monster at home in this series.  Even that game they lost last time before last night they dominated play.  A bad goal let in by Holtby but for the most part Holtby has been very good

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

You know, I like them to win game 6.  But I am not going to quit on them if they do not.  The can win game 7 at home.  They have been a monster at home in this series.  Even that game they lost last time before last night they dominated play.  A bad goal let in by Holtby but for the most part Holtby has been very good

The pressure on them to win Game 7 will be IMMENSE, and if they fall behind early, I don't think they have the psychological makeup as a team to get it done. If they are down 2-0 early, the crowd will start becoming subdued, and that never works in the home team's favor. Particularly, not THAT team.

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The pressure on them to win Game 7 will be IMMENSE, and if they fall behind early, I don't think they have the psychological makeup as a team to get it done. If they are down 2-0 early, the crowd will start becoming subdued, and that never works in the home team's favor. Particularly, not THAT team.

They were down 3-2 going into the third period and I saw no panic.  This team does not panic.  Too battle tested. Too experienced.  And now they have depth.  I like their chances.  Besides, I think the Penguins are a tired team from all of these games and also I do not think they want it as much

On 5/6/2018 at 9:45 AM, nossagog said:

I hate to say it and I hope I am wrong - but I think it ends tonight. I just don't have that same feeling this time around as I did the last two years (all superstitious picks against the Pens aside).   

Archived