Eastern Conference: Round 2 - #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins

pilldoc

Eastern Conference: Round 2 - #1 Washington Capitals vs. #2 Pittsburgh Penguins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Series?

• Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7
    • Peguins Sweep in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/6/2018 at 10:55 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Oh so you think the Capitals who are up 3-2 are done?  The team that outscored the defending champs 4-0 in the third are going to crumble?  I would not count on it.  Crosby himself said before this series that Washington is better prepared this time.  They are getting contributions from guys other than the usual, Ovy and Backstrom.  And their game on the road is very good and solid defense.  I am hoping the Caps end it tomorrow and i love their chances.  I am more mystified by Nashville's collapse last night.  I did not get to see it.  Shocking score. Go Tampa.  Go Caps.  Go Sharks.  

Wrote my post on April 25. Haven't watched 

one second of this series. 

Thanks @FD19372 for gettin my back. :cheers: 

Thank the GOOD LORD!!!   I did NOT have the strength or courage to see Sid lift that damn thing one more time!!! NEVER AGAIN...I hope!!

Nice to see Holtby get the monkey off his back.....and OV of course. 

You know, if it's the Jets or Preds coming out of Game 7 to play the Knights, you can make a strong case that the best 4 teams in the league will vie for the Conference Championships....which is the way it should be. 

Props to the Caps. I actually don't mind seeing them get that monkey (i.e. - getting past the 2nd round) off their back. They were simply the better team this series. Not by much...but enough. I do think they get shellacked by the Bolts but that's a matter for another thread.

As for the Pens....what can you say? Certainly can't complain. BTB Cups followed by a 2nd round exit is nothing to be ashamed of when most of the past Cup winners exited the next year in the first round. They'll be back...I can see Rutherford making some headlines this offseason to keep the "core" surrounded by fresh, hungry talent. A Letang trade will be the biggest  fodder for the talk shows (already started). 

In any event - go Knights!

1 hour ago, B21 said:

I do think they get shellacked by the Bolts but that's a matter for another thread.

I, too, should leave the prognostication for another thread, but...

I never pick the Caps.   First and foremost, I can't stand them or their fans.   Second, I'm always waiting for the self-immolation. But i think they beat the Bolts and lose to whomever comes out of the west (I'm starting to dread the thought it will be Vegas--I like the players and coach but first-year team seems dirty to me).

If the Bolts win against the Caps, I'll be happy with it, due both to my dislike of the Caps and because I like Tampa.  I'll be cheering for Tampa, but I think the Caps win.

Because I'm cheering for Tampa, they'll be doomed.  I cheered for the Pens this last series which is first and foremost why they lost. I'm 0-for-everything I cheer for in this postseason (except Tampa beating Boston).

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I, too, should leave the prognostication for another thread, but...

I never pick the Caps.   First and foremost, I can't stand them or their fans.   Second, I'm always waiting for the self-immolation. But i think they beat the Bolts and lose to whomever comes out of the west (I'm starting to dread the thought it will be Vegas--I like the players and coach but first-year team seems dirty to me).

If the Bolts win against the Caps, I'll be happy with it, due both to my dislike of the Caps and because I like Tampa.  I'll be cheering for Tampa, but I think the Caps win.

Because I'm cheering for Tampa, they'll be doomed.  I cheered for the Pens this last series which is first and foremost why they lost. I'm 0-for-everything I cheer for in this postseason (except Tampa beating Boston).

I want to believe it's the Caps' year but OV doesn't have any ECF "experience" so it's tough to pick him. :NinjaLookLeftRight1::VeryCool:

I'd agree on Vegas except nooooooooooobody saw this coming. Most predictions I saw had them at the bottom of the West. If there had been even some talk of them maybe qualifying for the playoffs before the season started then I might feel "dirty", too.  Granted this is the "easiest" an expansion team ever had it as far as putting a roster together but I think I lot of the complaining now is 20/20 hindsight. McPhee just outsmarted everyone (with a little luck, too). 

33 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I cheered for the Pens this last series which is first and foremost why they lost. I'm 0-for-everything I cheer for in this postseason (except Tampa beating Boston).

They lost because I had Murray in the pool. They only won the past two years because the goalie I had got hurt (Murray last year and Fluery two years ago). 

On 26/04/2018 at 12:14 AM, thenewestlights said:

:lookingboard: Honestly I'm bored with this playoff matchup

Agreed.  :dizzysmiley-1:

I'm also bored with Boston acting like world beaters in the first round against Toronto only to lay a turd in the second round. But hey, they'll be back next year. They're ALWAYS in the playoffs.

If Nashville can pull off their comeback, I'll have two of the final four teams  correct in my bracket, even though its been a rough playoff.  :)

8 hours ago, B21 said:

As for the Pens....what can you say? Certainly can't complain. BTB Cups followed by a 2nd round exit is nothing to be ashamed of when most of the past Cup winners exited the next year in the first round. They'll be back...I can see Rutherford making some headlines this offseason to keep the "core" surrounded by fresh, hungry talent. A Letang trade will be the biggest  fodder for the talk shows (already started). 

Absolutely, back to back and with a chance for 3 is a nice run for any team.

It will be interesting to see what moves are made to keep the Pens in the picture.

I don't know what a trade of 58 gets you in terms of improving the club, building blocks for the future perhaps. I don't think trading your best defensman makes the team better and I don't think highly enough of him to think he brings back solid player + a ready prospect and a good pick.

Get this group healthy and make another run, for me i count 58 as part of the core...

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

It will be interesting to see what moves are made to keep the Pens in the picture.

I don't know what a trade of 58 gets you in terms of improving the club, building blocks for the future perhaps. I don't think trading your best defensman makes the team better and I don't think highly enough of him to think he brings back solid player + a ready prospect and a good pick.

Get this group healthy and make another run, for me i count 58 as part of the core...

If you can get a decent return for him, now may be the time.  He's only going to continue to fall apart, and Schultz is starting to eat into his role. 

You have to weigh what you have on the backend if you do, though. They still have to be in "now" mode, so it's a tough call.  All that said, I'd be shocked if he's moved. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If you can get a decent return for him, now may be the time.  He's only going to continue to fall apart, and Schultz is starting to eat into his role. 

You have to weigh what you have on the backend if you do, though. They still have to be in "now" mode, so it's a tough call.  All that said, I'd be shocked if he's moved. 

Not only Shultz but Doumolin has been taking up more time this season.       If they were to move Letang, I would not be as much interested in the return but the release of a whole lot of cap dollars.  Maybe look for a solid hard hitting defensive defenseman. 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, ruxpin said:

Because I'm cheering for Tampa, they'll be doomed... 

Rux: I too sometimes get thinking that teams I cheer for are 

doomed, that John Elway and the Broncos only won

Super Bowl hardware because I stopped caring about football. :lol:

And I'll be cheering for Tampa also. But perhaps your doom and 

my doom will cancel each other out, thereby enabling the Bolts :lightning: 

to beat the Caps handily. :capitals: :biggrin: 

:toast:   

23 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Agreed.  :dizzysmiley-1:

I'm also bored with Boston acting like world beaters in the first round against Toronto only to lay a turd in the second round. But hey, they'll be back next year. They're ALWAYS in the playoffs.

If Nashville can pull off their comeback, I'll have two of the final four teams  correct in my bracket, even though its been a rough playoff.  :)

Thank goodness it's over. 

You think Beantown's gonna go on a Detroit esque run with 

something like 2,071 consecutive seasons* in the playoffs? 

If Pitt and DC get set to duke it out in next year's playoffs, I 

may have to organize a Million Fan March to try to stop it. 

I'd like to see the Leafs :mapleleafs: and the Bolts :lightning: match up in the 

postseason soon in what should be dubbed

The Confusing-Uniforms Series. :) Two similar teams. And

methinks Toronto can run with TB once they tighten up on

toughness, defense, and neutral-zone turnovers.  

Kudos. I'm scared to look at my bracket. :hehe: 

@yave1964 and @WingNut722: do I have that stat right? :D 

18 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I tend to agree. 

Can't see Letang going unless Pitt gets in exchange a decidedly more defensive defenseman,  

along with a winger or center who'd increase the Pens' offensive output, and a 

good draft position.   

Maybe some folks think 58's possibly expendable because Pittsburgh :penguins: won 

:stanleycup: when Letang was hurt in the playoffs. But it seems he'd stay unless some 

great trade or impossible cap situation comes along. 

22 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

Thank goodness it's over. 

You think Beantown's gonna go on a Detroit esque run with 

something like 2,071 consecutive seasons* in the playoffs?

If you look at their all-time record, they have the 2nd best record in NHL history behind only Montreal. I think the Flyers are #3.  (If I recall correctly. I may have that mixed up.)

So when you talk about teams that win ALL THE TIME (and therefore make the playoffs ALL THE TIME), the Boston Bruins are one of those franchises I am sick and tired of. 

The Leafs are a .500 team (or below .500) all-time. To put things in perspective, Toronto could have 25+ years where they have a better W-L record than the Bruins and they still wouldn't have the same winning percentage that the Bruins have.  :(

22 hours ago, thenewestlights said:

I'd like to see the Leafs :mapleleafs: and the Bolts :lightning: match up in the 

postseason soon in what should be dubbed

The Confusing-Uniforms Series. :) Two similar teams.

The battle of the blue and whites.  :)

Archived