Bring Tavares to Philly

elmatus

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I might actually do that

I wouldn't mind the acquisition of Hjarlmrsson but I wouldn't want to block the kids.

So if I was to dream big...

Simmer and Mcdud for Hjarlmrsson and a pick.

Provy/Hjarlmrsson 

Ghost/Hagg

Morin/Sanheim

Gudas

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Samifan said:

As I have previously stated I would prefer Voracek be moved this off season. He’s not worth his contract and will fetch more than Simmonds. I really think this was an off year for Simmer due to injuries and I would hate losing his character on and off the ice. If he struggles again next year dump him for whatever you can get or just let him walk. I think Simmonds with Coots and Lindblom or up on line 1 as you have it could be exciting.

Yes we can move him for the stop gap goalie.

I wonder if we could persuade the Yotes to part with Raanta and something for him....they have the guy they got from LA I forget his name.

How this fanstasy:

Jake, Gudas, Neuvy for Raanta and Domi?

32 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

you guys really want to trade Voracek for just a stop-gap goalie?

No.  I think that by itself is a mistake.   But 3 years for the right goalie and a bunch of freed-up cap space.   Yeah, maybe.   It has to be the right goalie, though, and there isn't a heckuvalot of options out there.  Raanta keeps getting thrown around, but he isn't it.  Not for Jake, anyway.

Here's the thing about the freed-up cap space, though:   It's only important if you use it correctly.  A ton of cap space just to have a ton of cap space isn't a reason to trade Jake, either.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like this better...

Giroux -- Tavares -- Konecny

Lindblom  -- Couturier-- Voracek

Martel -- Patrick -- Aube-Kubel

Laughton --Vorobyev-- Raffl

Edit: I forgot to include Raffl he is now.

....for next year...just my 2 cents in this fantasy.....look like i'm not the only one needing a padded room.

I welcome company!:hehe:

I like this more 

Giroux - Tavares - Konecny

Guadreau - Couturier - Simmonds

Martel-Patrick-Aube-Kubel

Raffl-Vorbyov-McDonald (although I hope we get another RW in free agency).

agree that all our goalies need to be dumped. agree that that is a long shot and probably difficult considering our contract obligations. not sure who is available and who is willing to sign a 2 year deal just to usher in (what we hope) will be the carter hart age. the only guys (i think) who are willing to do that are the same circus of guys (or their direct peers) we've had in and out of here for the last few years. to dump Voracek for a long-term rental is not an idea i get behind myself.

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Giroux - Tavares - Konecny

Guadreau - Couturier - Simmonds

Martel-Patrick-Aube-Kubel

Raffl-Vorbyov-McDonald (although I hope we get another RW in free agency).

It's late and I have a migraine, but who is McDonald?  (No, I'm not being a smart ###.  I'm really asking)

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's late and I have a migraine, but who is McDonald?  (No, I'm not being a smart ###.  I'm really asking)

Sorry, I meant Weise (although I hope we find someone else). After all, you have to admit - Weise IS rather forgettable.

3 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

you guys really want to trade Voracek for just a stop-gap goalie?

I want to trade him for someone who shoots the damn puck.... Or at least knows when to pass it yeah I know his #'s but how much more could he have had , had he not skated around the world most nights , and made a smart play instead... Maybe fling it on net and get lucky with a few bounces but he doesn't.... Him and G both have sick hands and not just to pass , it's a shame they both don't shoot more often.... 

Couturier asks for a bigger offensive role and then proceeds to put up 30 goals and 70 points...how do we reward him? By putting him back down onto the 3rd line the following season.

We do that and Couturier likely asks for a trade out of Philly IMO

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He's likely talking about fringe NHLer and current Phantom who won't be re-signed Colin McDonald 

47 minutes ago, hf101 said:

You guys really want to tie up 8-9M on Tavares?

- No thank you.

:nonono:

I agree ...finally getting out of CAP hell and we want to go right back into it??? :dizzysmiley-1:

Been reading through the posts and pondering this thought since the thread creation ...... on paper it sounds like a dream, but in reality I believe there are more pressing needs.  For the amount and length of contract that Tavres is likely going to command..... IMHO it simply is not worth it. 

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes we can move him for the stop gap goalie.

for me even to consider moving Jake it would have to a hell of a lot more than a stop-gap goalie.   As frustrating as Jake is he puts up a lot of points.   I would not give up Jake unless a very good goalie, a 1st and a blue chip prospect that is near NHL ready were involved.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

You guys really want to tie up 8-9M on Tavares?

- No thank you.

:nonono:

That is the issue for me as I eluded to in my original post.   Having G, Jake and JT under long term contracts scares the hell out of me.   I feel like it would quickly slide into the Hawks, Kings and Ducks situation.   He is a great player but I think this is all a moot point anyway -- I really dont see Hextall deviating from the plan.   Slow and steady seems to be the mantra...

9 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

I want to trade him for someone who shoots the damn puck.... Or at least knows when to pass it yeah I know his #'s but how much more could he have had , had he not skated around the world most nights , and made a smart play instead... Maybe fling it on net and get lucky with a few bounces but he doesn't.... Him and G both have sick hands and not just to pass , it's a shame they both don't shoot more often.... 

he definitely needs to shoot more. it was so frustrating to watch him force a pass and turn the puck over. every time in the shootout i expected him to just pass the puck to the goalie and skate back to the bench. 

and i'm not one of those SHOOOOOOT ITTTTT!!!! fans either. i'm not sure where this "unselfishness" and overpassing trend came from, but it was especially prevalent this season. keeping things simple, especially when we're in a tough spot, didn't seem to be an option. 

While I do understand the reluctance to sign Tavares because of money, I would still see if this can happen.

Again, Tavares is 27 and an elite force. He's been languishing on a team that has never been able to surround him with a solid supporting cast, and he's made the best of the situation in his time there.

Since his draft year (2009), Tavares has 621 points. No one on the Isles squad over that time comes anywhere near that amount. Second best is Bailey who has 352 in only 22 fewer GPs.

The best surrounding cast he's had over the years? Well, Barzal is likely the most talented he's had on the team by a considerable margin. After him, you have such luminaries as Kyle Okposo and Franz Nielsen. Vanek was there for a while, but I'd hardly consider Vanek an elite NHL talent. Players like Eberle and Nelson and Lee aren't awful, but they're not great either. Ladd was good once but not in an Isles sweater.

Point being, the Isles have never managed to provide him with anything in the way of support. Now put him on a line with recent 102 pt guy Giroux and an emerging TK and see what happens. Follow him up with the likes of Couturier, Voracek, and Patrick. Then give him Provo and Ghost on the back end.

I expect he won't know what to do with himself. Without Tavares on the Isles, they are the worst team in the league every year since 2009. Even with him, they haven't been so far from that mark, but he's really they only guy they've had to rely on over that time who has any real ability to impact a game at that level. That is not the case here in Philly, and the future here looks very bright.

I do understand the money issue, but really, we're in a position where we could afford his services and still be just fine. Bottom line: This type of opportunity -- if there even is one -- is something that virtually never comes to pass. I think Hex would be missing the boat if he didn't at least kick the tires.

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got all the JT talk but what about a smaller under the radar move like signing Matt Calvert away from the Jackets???

I would give the Jets a call about Nik Petan, because he will never find a home in Winnipeg.  He's small, but a gifted natural centre  of strong character and only 23.  He just needs the chance to play in a more offensive role.

The Jets don't draft too many duds, so I believe there is something there.

1 hour ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I would give the Jets a call about Nik Petan, because he will never find a home in Winnipeg.  He's small, but a gifted natural centre  of strong character and only 23.  He just needs the chance to play in a more offensive role.

Your idea is more plausible, but can't we just get Kyle Connor? 

1 hour ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I guess it couldn't hurt to call but i ain't giving up no more than a 3rd for a 5-9 180 pound center...which i'm not so sure about after watching Weal get pushed around all year...small on the wings i can live with a little but down the center that is too small i think.

But for a 3rd it is worth the gamble.

Archived