Simmonds

hf101

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just looking at the depth at RW behind him...

NAK ready to make a jump next year and make the Flyers

Allison should attend college 2018-19

Kase should join the Phantoms 2018-19

Sushko 2018-19 should be last year of juniors for him

So they will be trickling in beginning next year.

They already have Jake and Konecny at RW now.

So would Simmer be holding up these kids in 2-3 years??

Simmonds also has proven he can be an elite force. That's rare and unlikely to be the case for the kids you've mentioned. That's no knock on any of them -- it's just reality. Potting 30 goals in a season is rare. Simmonds has done it twice. Chances are low that any of the names on that list do it even once.

That said, you're right in that Simmonds is getting older. Can he still be a 30 goal guy playing on the third line and without being on the 1st pp? I'm not so sure. I like Simmonds as much as anyone, but I think the time has come. I think it's unfair to have a guy who could still be an effective force for many teams in the league languishing on the third line simply because we have better RW options at this point.

On many teams, Simmonds would be a net front pp guy and top six player. He won't be on the Flyers. It would be in both the team's interest and in his best interest I think to make a trade happen and ship him somewhere where he can still be a big part of a team. He deserves better than third line duties.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, elmatus said:

He won't be on the Flyers. It would be in both the team's interest and in his best interest I think to make a trade happen and ship him somewhere where he can still be a big part of a team. He deserves better than third line duties.

not disagreeing with the trade but based on the reports surrounding the pelvis injury this really hurts his trade value in my opinion.   Everything I have read has stated the injury is similar to the Ghost and G timetable which will put him at about 75% for the first half of next year.   I really don't see a suitor that is going to give the Flyers the return that Simmonds, at 100%, should get on the trade market.

Flyers are in a tough spot here b/c you (1) either use it as a bargaining chip to resign him at a decent cap hit, (2) make a trade that is not worth the return or (3) see what he does next year and resign him at FMV to an extension with the hopes that he returns to the Wayne we all know.  It is going to be interesting to watch over the summer and next season.   

I just fear that injury is really hurting his trade value. 

23 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Flyers are in a tough spot here b/c you (1) either use it as a bargaining chip to resign him at a decent cap hit, (2) make a trade that is not worth the return or (3) see what he does next year and resign him at FMV to an extension with the hopes that he returns to the Wayne we all know.  It is going to be interesting to watch over the summer and next season. 

The challenge is that he's current in danger of being buried on our depth chart. Patrick took over for him net front on the first pp last year and did remarkably well in the role. Mind you, Patrick may have more to offer than just a net front presence, at which point Simmonds could reclaim his spot. It's hard to say.

The challenge of needing a goalie remains though. The truth is this team needs an upgrade in goal far more than it needs Wayne Simmonds. At the same time, Simmonds is the only player that has enough value to potentially trade for a decent goalie. Without using him as a trade chip, chances are very good we're looking at subpar goaltending again in 2018-19.

29 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I just fear that injury is really hurting his trade value. 

I'm not so sure. It's one bad year following a string of very good years. He's not going to get us a Bobrovsky obviously, but he should be enough to find us something reasonable. The trade I mentioned for Grubauer is an example that could be very doable I think. The question for me is more about whether a goalie like Grubauer would be worth the trade. It would be a gamble.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

That's rare and unlikely to be the case for the kids you've mentioned.

Well in all fairness it did take Simmer 8 years to net 30 goals.

So i am not going to put a cap on the ceiling of some of the kids i mentioned when in fact they out performed or the same as Simmer in juniors at the same age...especially NAK.

I'm not claiming what they can/will be as in Allison's case he is going to be a power forward who can score some goals.

I have seen him mentioned in the same breath as John Leclaire in few projection wise.

Is that a steep hill to climb??

Yes but the point being is they must make room for the kids coming up soon and signing Simmer along with TK and Jake doesn't provide that.

I won't TK a chance to grow and i think that has to be on the 1st line....Jake is slotted for the 3rd because you surely don't want a 8+million dollar forward on the 3rd line RW spot.

So someone needs to go.

Who's it going to be?

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Who is Simmonds?  Don't you mean Simmons?  Of the 76ers?  LOL

That gets funnier every time you do that.

Okay, not really. 

I saw Eichel in Eastern Lancaster county today.  Not that Eichel. The kind left behind by Amish buggies. 

Has anyone asked the question WHY Simmonds came into the training camp with the pelvic injury?

Has anyone asked when Simmonds injured himself during the summer?

Has anyone asked HOW Simmonds injured himself during the summer?

11 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Has anyone asked the question WHY Simmonds came into the training camp with the pelvic injury?

Has anyone asked when Simmonds injured himself during the summer?

Has anyone asked HOW Simmonds injured himself during the summer?

I've wondered it but am not sure I've posted the question. I haven't seen any explanation anywhere in any media.  I don't know a lot about type of injury, but I would think it's not the type of injury that happens just walking to the grocery store.  Right?   I mean, I'm thinking some kind of "Catherine the Great moment" and everyone's being quiet.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:59 PM, elmatus said:

Can he still be a 30 goal guy playing on the third line and without being on the 1st pp? I'm not so sure. I like Simmonds as much as anyone, but I think the time has come.

Is there anyone who's a 30-goal scorer on a third line without  being on the 1st PP?

Simmonds is the only player I own a jersey for other than John LeClair and I'd be fine with seeing what he could garner on the open market.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Well in all fairness it did take Simmer 8 years to net 30 goals.

True - but he did score 28, 15 in 45, 29, and 28 in the four years before getting to 30, then did it twice in a row and dropped down to just 24 in 75 games. It wasn't like his first 30-goal season followed a 14 goal season or that his points suddenly jumped 43% after four years of steady decline or anything. :VeryCool:

On 5/3/2018 at 10:33 AM, OccamsRazor said:

So would Simmer be holding up these kids in 2-3 years??

It's possible - it all really rests on what Simmonds wants/takes in term and money. It's awfully hard IMO to "make room" for guys college, the AHL and Juniors by weakening the team today. When you do that, you're essentially admitting that the next 2-3 years don't really mean much, which isn't something I'm particularly happy about after the past five years...

I get "the process" but I also get that I've been told consistently over the past 5-10 years that the next guy coming up is going to be key to turning this whole thing around - and that included Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and Jake Voracek.

I've been a consistent defender of Couturier, and was not shocked that he had his breakout season at all. I like Konecny (by coincidence my license plate starts with KNX but I'm happy with it). Provorov and Ghost (and some of Hagg) look good on the back end.

If Carter Hart pans out then this is a nice young core, and maybe it does make sense to just officially acknowledge as a franchise (as opposed to a fanbase) that Homer royally screwed up the organIzation by trading away a Cup Final core and betting the farm on a 35-year-old defenseman, a crazy Russian goalie and "promising young players."

By the same token, I liked Wayne Simmonds a lot since he was acquired, I always liked Jake Voracek before I had to watch him 82 games a season :hocky: and really had high hopes for Sergei Bobrovsky when they were the "promising young players" on the squad. I just need to be convinced on the ice that this next crop of "promising young players" is going to do better on the ice than the last one that we're trading away did.

Again, I'm all for exploring what Simmonds or Voracek could get on the open market - unlike Voracek, Simmonds has a 12-team no trade list. Or Giroux, for that matter, but for the NMC - and I don't think you ask Giroux if he's willing to waive until you've got a solid deal with a team that you figure he'd want to go to.

That said, I'd be very surprised to see Simmonds not on the roster to start the season. Voracek is reaching the very definition of "his value may never be higher" (:smallTM:@ruxpin)

But, salary-wise, this franchise has its sights set on seriously competing over the next four years. That's the VeeGees and Couturier and Ghost - all under contract - and likely Provorov, Patrick, Konecny, Hagg, Sanheim, and Lindblom (conservatively).

Trading away big pieces of the puzzle he's put together doesn't strike me as something Hextall wants, or is likely, to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PhiladelphiaFlyersCG28 said:

@hf101 i don’t even know who that is ... 😊😅 Lol

Tkachuk?

I mean no offense by this, but I'm curious:  do you measure your time being a hockey fan in minutes or days?   New fans are always welcome, so I promise I mean no offense by that.   It's just Tkachuk is a fairly big hockey name.  He'll likely go top 5 in the draft (he could fall if teams 5-9 start picking defensemen). 

@hf101  I don't see how he ends up a Flyer unless we wait 15 years and Holmgren has taken the GM reigns back.

5 minutes ago, PhiladelphiaFlyersCG28 said:

@ruxpin Are you talking to me ? If so, I’m afraid I dont know what you are trying to say ... No offense and I’m sorry if I came across as rude 😂😅

Wow, um, okay.

So I apparently I offended you.  My apologies.  I was just surprised someone wouldn't know who Tkachuk was if they've been a fan long (and wasn't sure you even meant him).   By all means, carry on.

Just now, PhiladelphiaFlyersCG28 said:

@ruxpin  You didnt offend me at all !! I’m sorry if I made it seem that way ... and yes I have been a Flyers fan for a long time ... I just honestly didnt know who that was, that’s all ...

Okay.  No worries.

Well, I'm glad I didn't offend you, but there quite a few less ignorant ways I could have asked.  Sorry about that.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:19 PM, Samifan said:

:PostAward4:                                                         

It’s not just you speaking sir!

#IHATEJAKE:smallTM: 

You love Fleury!

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

Ya right! Lol! 😀

You can even pick which of the four cheeks, lol. I am pretty sure we could get a go fund me set up in here to pay for it, lol.

Archived