Simmonds

hf101

46 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

You can even pick which of the four cheeks, lol. I am pretty sure we could get a go fund me set up in here to pay for it, lol.

I'll pass on that one! I'm afraid of some funky stuff!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, PhiladelphiaFlyersCG28 said:

@ruxpin No, it’s ok. I didnt mean to be rude .. I felt like I was being rude, and I’m sorry about that...

I'm not a Marc Andre Fleury fan! People on this forum know how much I dislike him as a player!

On 6/5/2018 at 1:13 PM, PhiladelphiaFlyersCG28 said:

@hf101 i don’t even know who that is ... 😊😅 Lol

To answer your question, Brady Tkachuk is one of the top prospects for the upcoming draft. He's described by most as an aggressive power forward with significant skill. He also happens to be the brother of current Calgary player Matthew and son of Keith, who is remembered by many as an elite power forward in his own time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_Tkachuk

Keith was a pretty big name in his day, which is probably why some folks are wondering about your age or how long you've been a hockey fan. 😎

Edit: And there's no way we're getting him at 14.

11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

To answer your question, Brady Tkachuk is one of the top prospects for the upcoming draft. He's described by most as an aggressive power forward with significant skill. He also happens to be the brother of current Calgary player Matthew and son of Keith, who is remembered by many as an elite power forward in his own time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_Tkachuk

Keith was a pretty big name in his day, which is probably why some folks are wondering about your age or how long you've been a hockey fan. 😎

Edit: And there's no way we're getting him at 14.

Yeah, absolutely no way at #14.   And honestly, I'm not trading what it would take to move up to 4-8 just to draft Tkachuk. Would you?   How much of his value, do you think, is his name?   All the mock drafts I see have him top 5 (I just saw a very recent one that slid him down to 8 or 9, but I"ve also seen mocks that have the Habs taking him over Zabina), but I wonder if he's not getting a 5-10 slot bounce due to his name and due to his dad & brother.   I haven't had any eye test on him at all other than a couple youtube highlight reels.  The problem with those is that most players will look decent in cherrypicked plays.   So, I don't know.  I'm just really suspicious of him.  

38 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, absolutely no way at #14.   And honestly, I'm not trading what it would take to move up to 4-8 just to draft Tkachuk. Would you?   How much of his value, do you think, is his name?   All the mock drafts I see have him top 5 (I just saw a very recent one that slid him down to 8 or 9, but I"ve also seen mocks that have the Habs taking him over Zabina), but I wonder if he's not getting a 5-10 slot bounce due to his name and due to his dad & brother.   I haven't had any eye test on him at all other than a couple youtube highlight reels.  The problem with those is that most players will look decent in cherrypicked plays.   So, I don't know.  I'm just really suspicious of him.  

I see him going in the 6,7,8,9 range, not 4,5. And ya, i'd bet if he does it's more because of his name. He's a good player (anyone picked top 10 should be at the junior level) but his size advantage won't be as big a factor at the NHL level.

25. Oshie signed his eight-year extension last summer at age 30 and rewarded the Capitals with an impactful season.

He was a physical force in the final, with his Forsberg-esque reverse hits taking a toll on Colin Miller in particular.

Seeing that makes you wonder the impact it will have on Wayne Simmonds’ future. The powerful winger played hurt, still scored 24 goals and turns 30 in August. He’s also one year away from free agency.

Simmonds is a great teammate – the only complaint I’ve ever heard about him is that he can’t put on weight, a problem I’d love to have.

In a sporting world that’s becoming more and more ageist, Oshie’s performance is good news for comparables like Simmonds.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-vegas-thinking-re-visiting-erik-karlsson-deal/

In case you haven't seen it, here is a mock draft piece that makes a lot sense:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/14/17451190/nhl-mock-draft-2018-flyers-trade-wayne-simmonds-to-the-toronto-maple-leafs-tyler-bozak

The point about Simmonds' age in the context of a power forward has always made sense to me. We could experience a real falloff of play in short order.  I would take a first and prospect and move on. I love the guy but this is a business and we need to move forward. Having 3 first round picks would be significant.

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/14/17451190/nhl-mock-draft-2018-flyers-trade-wayne-simmonds-to-the-toronto-maple-leafs-tyler-bozak

The point about Simmonds' age in the context of a power forward has always made sense to me. We could experience a real falloff of play in short order.  I would take a first and prospect and move on. I love the guy but this is a business and we need to move forward. Having 3 first round picks would be significant.

Well, it would net the 3C we need and an extra swing at a first round pick, anyway.  So long as Bozak is okay with a 2-year deal.  I'm not giving him a minute more.  I don't hate it.

When you go to the dirty areas on the rink, take one for the team, take a hit to make a play, kill penalties, block shots, stand in front of the net, and when are one of the few on your team to do these things, there will be injuries. If the Flyers had a few more guys like this perhaps he wouldn't feel compelled to take so much abuse on behalf of his softer teammates. If they trade him who will do these things? 

And since we all want to move on from the only toughness left in the lineup who can also play a bit, why not move Giroux as well. You got 2 firsts for Schenn, the first from the Leafs in the Simmonds mock trade is really a second when its 25, so imagine what you could get for Giroux if stockpiling picks is the motivation. I'm sure LA or Anaheim would take Giroux in a heartbeat.

23 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I'd do it. People talk about the lack of toughness, but we've got Ratcliffe, Allison, Bunnaman, Twarynski coming through the system. As well, they can go free agent shopping if they need to. Don't forget that Patrick and Lindblom are also tougher kids and there's still Gudas to deliver thumpings if need be. 

24 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd do it. People talk about the lack of toughness, but we've got Ratcliffe, Allison, Bunnaman, Twarynski coming through the system. As well, they can go free agent shopping if they need to. Don't forget that Patrick and Lindblom are also tougher kids and there's still Gudas to deliver thumpings if need be. 

Agreed.  Future salary demands are going to put pressure on the Command Staff to consider a trade.  My only fear is that his injuries from last year will weaken his trade value.

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd do it.

I would be ok with the 25th pick.

But i would not want Bracco in return...i would ask for Timashov in that deal.

And then still think maybe they could find better somewhere else.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would be ok with the 25th pick.

But i would not want Bracco in return...i would ask for Timashov in that deal.

And then still think maybe they could find better somewhere else.

I'm really just curious why.  I'm only asking because I know little about either.   Did you get to see them in the playoffs against the Phantoms at all?  I know Timashov had a pretty decent playoffs.

I don't know that you'll get anything more than a mid-level prospect.  I think the pick and the rights to Bozak is probably the point.  But why not take a shot at it?

Bracco was already traded once, right?

I think that trade sucks. Schenn got you 2 firsts, one of them #14. Simmonds is worth the same, not 2 guys who might never play in the NHL. No way I'm doing that deal. If the Leafs really want him they will have to pay.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm really just curious why.  I'm only asking because I know little about either.   Did you get to see them in the playoffs against the Phantoms at all?  I know Timashov had a pretty decent playoffs.

I don't know that you'll get anything more than a mid-level prospect.  I think the pick and the rights to Bozak is probably the point.  But why not take a shot at it?

Bracco was already traded once, right?

I like the 5-11 195 guy over the 5-9 170 pound guy.

Bracco has been compared to Theo Fleury and I don't see it.

He reminds me more of a Jordan Weal when he gets to the NHL he become a perimeter player.

Timashov just has more skill and speed I can see working in the NHL. I think he just needs to shot more and that can be still taught.

So I need more if I'm moving Simmer and now have to face him.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like the 5-11 195 guy over the 5-9 170 pound guy.

Bracco has been compared to Theo Fleury and I don't see it.

He reminds me more of a Jordan Weal when he gets to the NHL he become a perimeter player.

Timashov just has more skill and speed I can see working in the NHL. I think he just needs to shot more and that can be still taught.

So I need more if I'm moving Simmer and now have to face him.

Yeah. Honestly, if I have to move him, I'd really prefer to move him out west. 

I haven't completely thought this through, and I'm not terribly excited about this, but what do you think?

Simmonds to Edmonton for RNH. What needs to be done to get their #10 pick out of it? I'm not a huge fan of RNH or anything but I think it takes more than Simmonds. Does it take one of our firsts or does Simmonds + 2nd get RNH + 1st (#10). 

RNH would get you a 3C and he only has 3 years left at slightly higher than what you're paying Simmonds. Plus, leave him exposed to Seattle. You have at Frost well-ready by then. If Seattle doesn't take him, trade him. 

EDIT:  Something else I was just thinking about since posting so I'll just add it here despite the fact it's not really the subject of this thread:  we talked elsewhere about trading Mzarek's rights to Dallas to move up. Would he be enough to move from #14 to #10?  In other words, forget about Simmonds/RNH  and just trade up?  They MIGHT be interested in backing up Talbot, and it gets us ahead of some teams that might take Kravstov.  It could also possibly land us Ty Smith or Boqvist if we decided to go that route.  Another thing I haven't really thought through, so just throwing it out there. 

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah. Honestly, if I have to move him, I'd really prefer to move him out west. 

I haven't completely thought this through, and I'm not terribly excited about this, but what do you think?

Simmonds to Edmonton for RNH. What needs to be done to get their #10 pick out of it? I'm not a huge fan of RNH or anything but I think it takes more than Simmonds. Does it take one of our firsts or does Simmonds + 2nd get RNH + 1st (#10). 

RNH would get you a 3C and he only has 3 years left at slightly higher than what you're paying Simmonds. Plus, leave him exposed to Seattle. You have at Frost well-ready by then. If Seattle doesn't take him, trade him. 

EDIT:  Something else I was just thinking about since posting so I'll just add it here despite the fact it's not really the subject of this thread:  we talked elsewhere about trading Mzarek's rights to Dallas to move up. Would he be enough to move from #14 to #10?  In other words, forget about Simmonds/RNH  and just trade up?  They MIGHT be interested in backing up Talbot, and it gets us ahead of some teams that might take Kravstov.  It could also possibly land us Ty Smith or Boqvist if we decided to go that route.  Another thing I haven't really thought through, so just throwing it out there. 

My biggest question where are you going to play RNH first.

I would prefer to keep Patrick at the 2nd line spot.

So you want him for the 3rd line role?

That is kind of expensive for 3rd line duty.

I would go as far as...

Simmer+Gudas+#19 

for

RNH and number #10.

But not sure they even would want Gudas. 

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My biggest question where are you going to play RNH first.

I would prefer to keep Patrick at the 2nd line spot.

So you want him for the 3rd line role?

That is kind of expensive for 3rd line duty.

I would go as far as...

Simmer+Gudas+#19 

for

RNH and number #10.

But not sure they even would want Gudas. 

They might want Gudas. Possibly for the same reason they might want Simmonds:  to toughen up a bit. I've read your opinion on Gudas and we agree, but maybe the Oilers don't know that yet? 

My intention would be RNH at 3C. Yeah, it's expensive, but not a lot more than either Simmonds or Filppula and they were both third line.  He could potentially play on the second PP unit, but the drawback is I don't think he's much of a penalty killer. Is he? 

If they'd take your 19+Simmonds +Gudas idea, I'd be really tempted. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

They might want Gudas. Possibly for the same reason they might want Simmonds:  to toughen up a bit. I've read your opinion on Gudas and we agree, but maybe the Oilers don't know that yet? 

My intention would be RNH at 3C. Yeah, it's expensive, but not a lot more than either Simmonds or Filppula and they were both third line.  He could potentially play on the second PP unit, but the drawback is I don't think he's much of a penalty killer. Is he? 

If they'd take your 19+Simmonds +Gudas idea, I'd be really tempted. 

What is RNH making?

I can't access capfriendly here at work.

And why the hell are you up so late.

I know why I am it's 5 am and I don't get off till 7.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is RNH making?

I can't access capfriendly here at work.

I know why I am it's 5 am and I don't get off till 7.

Sorry.  His cap is $6M

And I was looking at Simmonds' salary ($5M) rather than his cap ($3.975).  So, there's more difference there than I thought.   But Filppula had a $5M cap, so I kind of get to stick with that one.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm going through an insomnia cycle.  Third time in 5 nights that I'm up most of the way through the night.  I did fall asleep about 11:30 but woke at about 1:00 and have been up since.

I know, Ambien, but I don't want to accidentally go join the Klan or something.

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm going through an insomnia cycle.  Third time in 5 nights that I'm up most of the way through the night.  I did fall asleep about 11:30 but woke at about 1:00 and have been up since.

I know, Ambien, but I don't want to accidentally go join the Klan or something.

I take melatonin 10 mg.

It works for me about 5-6 hours tops.

It is what I take on night shift. I pop one at about 8-9 am in bed by 10:30.

Don't need it when I don't have to work the next day/night.

It's a brain thing never shuts off when I am in work mode.

Archived