Simmonds

hf101

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

My biggest question where are you going to play RNH first.

I would prefer to keep Patrick at the 2nd line spot.

So you want him for the 3rd line role?

That is kind of expensive for 3rd line duty.

Stop thinking in terms of 1C/2C/3C and you'll be better. Either top 3/middle 6/bottom 3 or top 9. and things will fit together better for you.

Of course, the coach ALSO needs to think this way...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://theathletic.com/398206/2018/06/19/wild-trade-partners-paul-fenton-anaheim-buffalo-carolina-montreal-philadelphia-tampa-bay/

"Multiple sources tell me the Flyers are gearing to potentially trade Wayne Simmonds. He's a year from free agency and coming off a 24-goal, injury-hindered season. He scored 120 goals the four seasons before that, is big, is tough (The guy caved in Wild winger Eric Nystrom's face once during a fight as a King), is a leader. He's a right-shot wing and makes a reasonable $5 million with an even more reasonable $3.975 million cap hit. He has a 12-team no-trade clause, per capfriendly.com" 

So the Flyers are at least shopping Simmonds, it seems. But June 23 is after the first round, so...

8 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

So the Flyers are at least shopping Simmonds, it seems. But June 23 is after the first round, so...

Article is blocked by paywall. Why is June 23 mentioned?

I think we see him traded on the draft floor on Friday. #BankIt

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Article is blocked by paywall. Why is June 23 mentioned?

I think we see him traded on the draft floor on Friday. #BankIt

Flyers players traded on June 23:

- Brayden Schenn

- Jeff Carter

- Mike Richards

- James van Riemsdyk

- Scott Hartnell

44 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

- Brayden Schenn

- Jeff Carter

- Mike Richards

- James van Riemsdyk

- Scott Hartnell

Wow, I never realized that. Amazing

8 hours ago, AJgoal said:

- Brayden Schenn

- Jeff Carter

- Mike Richards

- James van Riemsdyk

- Scott Hartnell

Yes, but in all of those years, June 23 was either before the draft or on the day of the first round of the draft.   So, it's not necessarily the date as the draft day.  I think if it happens, it happens Friday night.

You know, we've talked about this all year long and often clinically and "it's business," but now that it's approaching the possibility saddens me some.

7 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Also, when "The Letterman Show" started on late-night in 1980...  Coincidence?

Was it funny then?

8 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Also, they acquired Bernie Parent on June 23.

Was that the first time?  Because when they traded Toronto for his rights, it was May 15, 1973.  That was his rights, though.   Did he sign with the flyers on June 23 the following month?  That's still some coincidence, huh?

Just now, ruxpin said:

Was that the first time?  Because when they traded Toronto for his rights, it was May 15, 1973.  That was his rights, though.   Did he sign with the flyers on June 23 the following month?  That's still some coincidence, huh?

I think it was the second time.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Was it funny then?

I thought so, but I was also very much a Johnny Carson fan back then. 

The thing is, his schtick never changed over the years.  Sometimes the humor coming from a young 30 something doesn't quite work coming from someone in their sixties.  Especially when its oddball immaturish humor to begin with.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I think it was the second time.

Yeah, the May 15 was the second time (just obtaining the rights back).  But what I can't find is the date he actually agreed to return (his rights were traded back to Philly while he with the Blades in the WHL).   The June date makes a lot of sense to me for this, but I cannot find it.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, the May 15 was the second time (just obtaining the rights back).  But what I can't find is the date he actually agreed to return (his rights were traded back to Philly while he with the Blades in the WHL).   The June date makes a lot of sense to me for this, but I cannot find it.

June 23, 1973. 

On 4/25/2018 at 6:26 PM, hf101 said:

Lots of injuries, wow. 

Wayne Simmonds injury timeline

• Enters training camp with torn pelvis.

• Oct. 17: pulled groin

• Oct. 19: broken teeth from Mattias Ekholm’s stick

• Late Oct: breaks ankle from Shayne Gostisbehere snapshot

• Feb. 16: tore ligament in his hand.

Should have had the surgery on his pelvis during camp.  Hat Trick opening night aside, we didn't get our Wayne all year.  

On 6/16/2018 at 7:31 AM, AJgoal said:

Stop thinking in terms of 1C/2C/3C and you'll be better. Either top 3/middle 6/bottom 3 or top 9. and things will fit together better for you.

Of course, the coach ALSO needs to think this way...

With the overall talent this team has, there is NO reason to think of things in any hierarchical terms like 1C and 2C and 3C... IF they can bring in an additional talented Center like Tavares (but I think Stastny could fit this bill as well... maybe even Nash-though he is more of a traditional 3C).

I really don't think that Tavares will sign in Philly because I expect he's too much of a standup guy to stay in the division... but I think they SHOULD try.  I think they should give offers to all three and see who bites first. 

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

With the overall talent this team has, there is NO reason to think of things in any hierarchical terms like 1C and 2C and 3C... IF they can bring in an additional talented Center like Tavares (but I think Stastny could fit this bill as well... maybe even Nash-though he is more of a traditional 3C).

I really don't think that Tavares will sign in Philly because I expect he's too much of a standup guy to stay in the division... but I think they SHOULD try.  I think they should give offers to all three and see who bites first. 

I think if JT doesn't sign on the Isle i think the San Jose Sharks are a team that could sign him for real.

It seems strange to me they haven't resigned him.  Hextall was chirping about how tough he is...and busy the GM and others have been getting ready for the draft...blah, blah.  It sound like a deal is in the offing.

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

It seems strange to me they haven't resigned him.  Hextall was chirping about how tough he is...and busy the GM and others have been getting ready for the draft...blah, blah.  It sound like a deal is in the offing.

Simmonds isn't a UFA until 2019 - thus I don't believe Hextall can sign him to an extension until after July 1.

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Simmonds isn't a UFA until 2019 - thus I don't believe Hextall can sign him to an extension until after July 1.

Greetings:

Thanks for the clarification. So it's basically trade or wait. Interesting. If I believe the press, Hextall hasn't even talked with the agent.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

How about this...

To Nashville: Wayne Simmonds

To Philly: Ryan Ellis

Thoughts??

Ivan/Ellis

Ghost/Mcdud

Sanheim/Hagg

Gudas

LOL You're really not getting any airplay on this one, are you?

We had an exchange about this on another thread.   But just some added questions/thoughts.

Is Nashville actively shopping Ellis?   

I'm a little concerned because we're trading one guy whose contract expires next year but might cut a deal to stay for another whose contract expires next season who has no particular reason to not test the market (if traded).   Just a concern at this point.

I said this jokingly on the other thread, but with at least partial seriousness.  Can we expand it?   Nashville is shallow on right wing, so Simmonds would certainly fill a need.    Lavy would also know exactly what he's getting.

I don't know enough about Nashville's prospects.   Do they have a defenseman (or defensemEn) pushing the lineup or would this deal create a hole on defense?  

If it's the latter, would this work:

Simmonds + Gudas (+ probably a pick or prospect)

Ellis + Bonino

I'm not actually sure I trade Simmonds for Ellis straight up.   Ellis is going to want pay and term.  Plus, we do  have people coming in Myers and Morin.    i dont know.  I'd kick the tires, but ...  concerns, anyway.

Archived