You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Pucked in the head

Giroux SNUBBED !!!!!

Unbelievable they didn't have G in the Hart final three... He should have been number one in the nominees and should have been given the award.... He earned it. I would hate to think they waited to see how each did in the playoffs before making up their minds. But again Philly or it's players  don't get the recognition they deserve !!!!! G gets it in my book .... the numbers don't lie .....

• Like 1

And if any of the other three finalists were left out, their fan bases would be equally upset. It was close, though I think Giroux would have been perfectly qualified to be one of the top 3 in voting. Just the way it is sometimes.

• Like 2

Guaranteed he isn't even named to the season ending all-star teams either  

2 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

And it will continue until they win the cup , and even then they'll say we didn't deserve it or earn it.... 

The Flyers should have a Rodney Dangerfield shoulder patch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pucked in the head said:

Unbelievable they didn't have G in the Hart final three... He should have been number one in the nominees and should have been given the award.... He earned it. I would hate to think they waited to see how each did in the playoffs before making up their minds. But again Philly or it's players  don't get the recognition they deserve !!!!! G gets it in my book .... the numbers don't lie .....

Couldn't have be based on playoffs. Kopitar did nothing. 

• Like 1

Just now, ruxpin said:

We're from Philly, fricken Philly, no one likes us, WE DON'T CARE! 

Philly Philly!:cheers:

• Like 2

Not surprising. Also 100% not based on any of those players’ playoff performances. The votes had to be in before the playoffs started. 

I dig the Rodney Dangerfield patch. 

Hard to argue with the three finalists, Giroux's season was as good as anyone's this year. Without his strong comeback season it's doubtful the Flyer make the playoffs. I was happy for the bounce-back season and playoff ass-whupping aside, glad to see tangible improvement from the entire hockey team. I think his ability and leadership played a big part in the team's success.

13 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

I think he should have been in there though if they could take the playoffs into account (they don't - vote is in prior) then he shouldn't. Can't argue any of the finalists though. One of those years where there is no obvious choice.

Of those three MacKinnon gets my vote and not just because I live in Colorado, the AVS SUCK !!!!! The percentage of his goals that were gwg's and like G he carried the AVS into the playoffs....imo 

Edited by Pucked in the head
Kopitar hah!

On 4/29/2018 at 9:43 AM, mojo1917 said:

Hard to argue with the three finalists, Giroux's season was as good as anyone's this year. Without his strong comeback season it's doubtful the Flyer make the playoffs. I was happy for the bounce-back season and playoff ass-whupping aside, glad to see tangible improvement from the entire hockey team. I think his ability and leadership played a big part in the team's success.

I got curious about this after a while so I looked at the numbers. While Giroux does have more points than the three finalists the gap between them and the next highest scoring teammates is a lot bigger than Giroux & Company with the exception of McKinnon (forwards only)... 

Giroux - 82 GP / 34 G / 68 A / 102 PTS

Voracek - 20 / 65 / 85 (-17)

Couturier - 31 / 45 / 76  (-26)

Kopitar - 82 GP / 35 G / 57 A / 92 PTS

Brown - 28 / 33  /61 (-31)

Toffoli - 24 / 23 / 47 (-45)

Hall - 76 GP / 39 G / 54 A / 93 PTS

Hischier - 20 / 32 / 52 (-41)

Palmieri - 24 / 20 / 44 (-49)

McKinnon - 74 GP / 39 G / 58 A / 97 PTS

Rantanen - 29 / 55 / 84 (-13)

Landeskog 25 / 37 / 62 (-25)

I still would have Giroux in my final three but it's splitting hairs at this point.

• Like 2

To me, it's between McKinnon and Hall.  Hall's point differential is insane and he was really hot there for a while.  Imo, he's the only reason the Devils made the POs.  McKinnon was great as well, but he had a little more help.  Maybe I am biased because I don't follow the Avalanche closely.  For me, Taylor Hall edges out McKinnon.

Edited by vis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vis said:

To me, it's between McKinnon and Hall.  Hall's point differential is insane and he was really hot there for a while.  Imo, he's the only reason the Devils made the POs.  McKinnon was great as well, but he had a little more help.  Maybe I am biased because I don't follow the Avalanche closely.  For me, Taylor Hall edges out McKinnon.

I am sticking to muy guns and going with MacKinnon, if only because the Avs were so worful last year. That said, after the crap he went through in that dumpster fire organization in Edmonton, I can get behind Hall.

Withholding judgement on whether Giroux was snubbed until i see the final counts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vis said:

Hall would have my vote. He basically doubled the "next man up" on the Devils.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:04 PM, Pucked in the head said:

Kopitar being named a finalist also guarantees he's winning the Selke over Couturier.

I can't argue that he had a great season and he is the only real competition for Selke, and I suppose he was made a finalist because the Kings named him captain and they turned a downward trend into the playoffs... but that sounds awfully familiar.

If I was going to guess (and I suppose I am) the ONLY legitimate reason I can see for Giroux not making the finalists list over Kopitar is that Giroux was moved to wing in experiencing all this comeback success.

Of course that negates the fact that Giroux basically took half the faceoffs when he was on the ice, but whatever.  

The problem I have is that he was still far and away a better player in the long run over Hall and McKinnon.  He was within 5 goals of each (not that that should matter since he outscored both by 5 points or more) and his +/- blows them both out of the water.  

Neither one is a center, though McKinnon took a decent amount of faceoffs.  Giroux took more and blew him out of the water with almost 59% (only 2 players in the league were better on faceoffs). 

Giroux also logged more ice time per game than either.

Giroux also played in more games than either.  

In short, his not being at least Shortlisted over Hall and McKinnon is complete and utter prejudicial B.S. 

There is almost no scenario in which Anze Kopitar isn't his only real competition. 

I wish it weren't so and I don't know if it's still because of the Bullies or if it's because of Lindros or if it's because of Homer and his offer sheet shenanigans that rendered him persona non-grata around the league (it's probably all three)  but the long and short is, EVERYONE HATES THE FLYERS.  

If watching Letang slew/trip Couturier to set up the game winning goal in game 6 and NOT get called for the penalty, then seeing Giroux, who by ANY REASONABLE MEASURE OBLITERATES MCKINNON AND HALL, lost out on the MVP finalist to them should drive it home for sure.

I love this game.

I effing HATE this league.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I am sticking to muy guns and going with MacKinnon, if only because the Avs were so worful last year. That said, after the crap he went through in that dumpster fire organization in Edmonton, I can get behind Hall.

Withholding judgement on whether Giroux was snubbed until i see the final counts. 

Of those three, it absolutely has to be Kopitar.  The other two can't pray to hold Giroux's jock this year, and Kopitar is the only one remotely close to what Giroux did.  

Frankly, the argument that his team mates and line mates didn't do as well as Giroux's suggests the EXACT opposite about him to me.  

20 minutes ago, B21 said:

Hall would have my vote. He basically doubled the "next man up" on the Devils.

As objectively as I can see it, it's either Kopitar or none of them.

Giroux gets it on "making his team mates better" but Kopitar gets it on being the best player on his team.

Stevens made Kopitar captain and he played most of the season without the Kings' perrenial scoring leader in Carter, yet they turned around a general downward trend and made the playoffs largely on his efforts and leadership.

But then again, I can't imagine an objective scenario in which Hall or McKinnon could be seen as having a more impactful season than either Giroux or Kopitar.  The only argument is that Hall and McKinnon are on just God awful teams, but they're not, especially the blue jackets.  Think about it:  Hall was on the devils last year and wasn't amazing.  The devils add 3 rookies who all finished in the top 20 in rookie scoring and suddenly Hall is awesome... yet we're all going to just ASSUME it was Hall turning his entire game around?

Meanwhile the other three schmucks are on pretty much the same teams as last year (Giroux had Patrick and eventually Lindblom, neither of whom scored a ton and neither of whom played much with Giroux)... yet whoever DID play with Giroux managed to score a ton more than he did last year... WHILE HE WAS ON THE ICE WITH GIROUX (Patrick for instance started putting up more points when he was added to Giroux's PP unit.  Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Raffl... all of them produced the most when playing with Giroux).

When you break down the numbers as to which player's line mates did the best, Giroux is far and away the most successful one in the bunch.  If it's about making those around him better, it's not even close.  It's easily Giroux.  

None of the four of them made it out of the first round, so there's not even that excuse (which doesn't factor in) to make it an easier pill to swallow.  I admit, if Hall or McKinnon had piloted their teams into the 2nd Rnd or Conference finals, I could tell myself, well they showed up when it counted so they deserve it even if it's not supposed to factor in.

They didn't.  They don't.  It should be Kopitar and Giroux, but I'm eager to see why other people think McKinnon and Hall have any business being in the conversation.  

Don't read too much into Giroux not being a finalist. The same buffoons who made Hart Trophy votes put PK Pylon in the Norris final 3. He is a turnstile in his own end, a giveaway machine, a diva and as afraid to get hit as anyone in the league. Not a player I would encourage anyone to emulate.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah, I wouldn't complain if McKinnon wins.  Tough call.

Kopitar is a monster for the Kings in both ends of the rink.  If he doesn't get MVP, he may end up with Selke (and everyone will complain that Couturier was robbed).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Edmonton IS a dumpster fire, but Hall admitted this year that he mostly ignored the coaches as an Oiler: "I really didn’t want to talk to coaches. I didn’t really want to have dialogue with coaches. I just wanted to play."

He was a good player for Edmonton, and I am/was not happy with the Larsson trade, but he hindered his team with this approach, and it did the opposite of helping to put out the fire. I'm glad he's now learned a lot more about being accountable. I wish the Oilers could have been the beneficiaries of that, but life is what it is.

Now, we can have all sort of conversations about Hall being young and already having something of a reputation in Windsor. It's true. We can talk about how the Oilers handed a lot to him, which contributed to a sense of entitlement which existed to the extent that he ignored his coaches, and it would also be true. I think he also has to own his share of responsibility there, too.

Anyway... He went through crap in Edmonton, but he also caused crap in Edmonton too, by his own words.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vis said:

Imo, he's the only reason the Devils made the POs.

For those reason alone is why i have to go with Mckinnon....when 30% of your goals are game winners....well that is all i need to know.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

For those reason alone is why i have to go with Mckinnon....when 30% of your goals are game winners....well that is all i need to know.

So did Sean Monaghan (slightly higher percentage actually).  Just saying.  No slight against McKinnon, because I do think he’s deserving.