Sabres win lottery. What will they do with it?

Buffalo Rick

So now that the Sabres have the number one pick, will they do as expected and take this Swedish kid Dahlin who is a top notch rated defenseman?  Is he another Karlsson or dare I even mention Orr type?  Or might they go in a different direction?  

I hear Boston College has a kid that is splendid.  Eichel likely knows him well.  But when you do not take the top rated guy you open yourself to criticism. Like the Cleveland Browns just did  in the NFL. 

I thought Darnold looked like the Browns type of guy.  Going back to the days when they were very good in the 1960's.  They already have Tyrod , the small scrambler Tarkenton type.  So why?  But lets talk about the Sabres.

If they do take this kid Dahlin, they would have him and Ristolainen both on the power play perhaps?  We know how good Risto is and he is going to be good for years.  I would say take a goalie next but they have this young Fin that I am still wondering about? I do not have the time to even follow the AHL let alone junior hockey.  

Other than attending the Gold medal game a few years ago when Russia came back to send many drunken Canadiens over the border in a foul mood.  The Sabres need a goalie now.  To start the season.  Lehner, even though he played well in regulation at times, stunk in shootouts and is the worst shootout goalie i have ever seen.  And Johnson is as bad as bad gets.  Thank God he is gone.  Ullmark will come up to be the backup.  

A big reason that Rochester made it to the Calder Cup playoffs where I believe they have already been swept?  Not totally sure.  You all think I am nuts for wanting an older Ryan Miller back, but he is far better than what we have now.  His heart would be into it.  He is not going to be remembered as a Duck.  No damn way.  If Vegas can get Fluery, we should be able to land a decent guy that might be on a bench somewhere?

Hell, St Louis has two guys.  i would take Allen or Hutton.  Time will tell

Honestly, this defenseman Rasmus Dahlin is rated number one for a reason.

And in a draft that looks to be slanted heavily towards blueliners, and given that future top pair guys are harder to come by than even top six forwards, I would say taking Dahlin is a no-brainer for the Buffalo Sabres.

Any other pick, feels like the Sabres might be short changing themselves, and this is NOT to take away anything from some of the other surely talented players in this draft.

But if you get a chance to draft the universally agreed upon number one prospect, AND that prospect is projected to be an elite type defenseman, you do so.

I agree 1000% that Buffalo needs a goalie (truthfully, the Sabres need LOTS of things), but unless there is a can't miss, vault-your-team-to-contender-status, type young goalie (and really, who can tell with goalies...they are tough to gauge) you draft the top rated forward, or in this case, defensemen.

And really, if you have a good blueline, even a mediocre or slightly above average goalie can look good.....and win you some games.

I suppose Buffalo could also look at some of the talented big wingers projected to go high in the draft, but from my own amateur point of view, you take the projected number one Defenseman!

All the team scouts, developers and other professionals paid to evaluate talent can't possibly be wrong on this, so Buffalo best play the percentages for success...and that means Dahlin.

57 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So now that the Sabres have the number one pick, will they do as expected and take this Swedish kid Dahlin who is a top notch rated defenseman?  Is he another Karlsson or dare I even mention Orr type?  Or might they go in a different direction?  I hear Boston College has a kid that is splendid.  Eichel likely knows him well.  But when you do not take the top rated guy you open yourself to criticism. Like the Cleveland Browns just did  in the NFL>  I thought Darnold looked like the Browns type of guy.  Going back to the days when they were very good in the 1960's.  They already have Tyrod , the small scrambler Tarkenton type.  So why?  But lets talk about the Sabres.  If they do take this kid Dahlin, they would have him and Ristolainen both on the power play perhaps?  We know how good Risto is and he is going to be good for years.  I would say take a goalie next but they have this young Fin that I am still wondering about? I do not have the time to even follow the AHL let alone junior hockey.  Other than attending the Gold medal game a few years ago when Russia came back to send many drunken Canadiens over the border in a foul mood.  The Sabres need a goalie now.  To start the season.  Lehner, even though he played well in regulation at times, stunk in shootouts and is the worst shootout goalie i have ever seen.  And Johnson is as bad as bad gets.  Thank God he is gone.  Ullmark will come up to be the backup.  A big reason that Rochester made it to the Calder Cup playoffs where I believe they have already been swept?  Not totally sure.  You all think I am nuts for wanting an older Ryan Miller back, but he is far better than what we have now.  His heart would be into it.  He is not going to be remembered as a Duck.  No damn way.  If Vegas can get Fluery, we should be able to land a decent guy that might be on a bench somewhere?  Hell, St Louis has two guys.  i would take Allen or Hutton.  Time will tell

HJ, for the love of god man mix in a paragraph once and awhile. This post is so lengthy I almost missed the fact that you want Ryan Miller back.

43 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Honestly, this defenseman Rasmus Dahlin is rated number one for a reason.

And in a draft that looks to be slanted heavily towards blueliners, and given that future top pair guys are harder to come by than even top six forwards, I would say taking Dahlin is a no-brainer for the Buffalo Sabres.

Anything other pick, feels like the Sabres might be short changing themselves, and this NOT to take away anything from some of the other surely talented players in this draft.

But if you get a chance to draft the universally agreed upon number one prospect, AND that prospect is projected to be an elite type defenseman, you do so.

I agree 1000% that Buffalo needs a goalie (truthfully, the Sabres need LOTS of things), but unless there is a can't miss, vault-your-team-to-contender-status, type young goalie (and really, who can tell with goalies...they are tough to gauge) you draft the top rated forward, or in this case, defensemen.

And really, if you have a good blueline, even a mediocre or slightly above average goalie can look good.....and win you some games.

I suppose Buffalo could also look at some of the talented big wingers projected to go high in the draft, but from my own amateur point of view, you take the projected number one Defenseman!

All the team scouts, developers and other professionals paid to evaluate talent can't possibly be wrong on this, so Buffalo best play the best percentages for success...and that means Dahlin.

Well at least your post makes sense unlike the so predictable insulting one above.  I agree and I think Botterill will agree also.  As for the goalie, yes its huge.  The Sabres are not without talent.  They have a ton of young talent which means it takes some time for boys to become men.  When they do, guys like Ruxpin will not be so happy seeing the Blue and Gold take the ice down there in Philly.  I expect drastic improvement this year. But the goalie search?  Not sure what the plan is.  There is this kid they drafted?  The Fin.  And then you know there will be free agents available.  AND JUST IN CASE, I WILL USE CAPS TO TYPE THIS.  DONT MISS THIS ALL.  I DO WANT MILLER IF POSSIBLE.

26 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

AND JUST IN CASE, I WILL USE CAPS TO TYPE THIS.  DONT MISS THIS ALL.  I DO WANT MILLER IF POSSIBLE.

Everyone associated with this forum is aware that you want Miller back. Since he left Buffalo in 2014, I bet you’ve posted wanting him back about 500 times. 

#MILLER 

:love:

3 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Everyone associated with this forum is aware that you want Miller back. Since he left Buffalo in 2014, I bet you’ve posted wanting him back about 500 times. 

#MILLER 

:love:

I have tweeted him. I had my chance to speak my mind when me and him were the only two souls sitting in HSBC arena one night before a game.  But I did not want to bother him and I did not have my crystal ball with me to tell me he would leave for the coast to marry an actress.  

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I have tweeted him. I had my chance to speak my mind when me and him were the only two souls sitting in HSBC arena one night before a game.  But I did not want to bother him and I did not have my crystal ball with me to tell me he would leave for the coast to marry an actress.  

Well I hope you learned a valuable lesson, never leave Home without your crystal ball.

Just you and Miller in an empty HSBC area, can’t imagine what that looked like. (Cue the theme from Jaws)

:VeryCool:

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

HJ, for the love of god man mix in a paragraph once and awhile. This post is so lengthy I almost missed the fact that you want Ryan Miller back.

Fixed it for ya! :smileyandcomputer:

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Well I hope you learned a valuable lesson, never leave Home without your crystal ball.

Just you and Miller in an empty HSBC area, can’t imagine what that looked like. (Cue the theme from Jaws)

:VeryCool:

I was cueing the theme from Love Story. 

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Proof that the Sabres organization has some catching up to do......  :ph34r::bigteeth:

Botts.jpg

They will do it and they have already started in a big way.  There sure is a ton of jealousy around here.  With Philly picking 14th and all.  

On 5/1/2018 at 7:18 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

They will do it and they have already started in a big way.  There sure is a ton of jealousy around here.  With Philly picking 14th and all.  

If there's one team in all of sports I'm certainly not jealous of...it's the Sabres.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, flyercanuck said:

If there's one team in all of sports I'm certainly not jealous of...it's the Sabres.

You will be very soon when we come in there an take your arses apart.  We are going to be loaded and you are going to have dead wood old men.   You will be begging teams to take Claude in a trade.  The Sabres will bury the Flyers for years to come

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You will be very soon when we come in there an take your arses apart.  We are going to be loaded and you are going to have dead wood old men.   You will be begging teams to take Claude in a trade.  The Sabres will bury the Flyers for years to come

Is this before or after St Louis wins the cup?

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Not sure.  Depends.  Eichel, Reinhart, O'reilly, Ristolainen and Dahlin.  PP

Let me know when one of them tops washed up Claude Girouxs 102 points he scored this year. Hopefully the wait isn't as long as your Blues champion predictions.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Let me know when one of them tops washed up Claude Girouxs 102 points he scored this year. Hopefully the wait isn't as long as your Blues champion predictions.

I think you know these young guys are going to have great careers.  Do not fool yourself. You wish Philly had every one of those guys

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think you know these young guys are going to have great careers.  Do not fool yourself. You wish Philly had every one of those guys

That 5 good pieces. 

Philly has  Provorov, Ghostisbehere, Patrick, Konecny, Couturier and some of the best prospects in the NHL. Including a couple of goalies.

AND they didn't even have to tank to get them.

Archived