Sabres win lottery. What will they do with it?

Buffalo Rick

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That 5 good pieces. 

Philly has  Provorov, Ghostisbehere, Patrick, Konecny, Couturier and some of the best prospects in the NHL. Including a couple of goalies.

AND they didn't even have to tank to get them.

I am not sure they are quite as good but having a goalie is one thing you have over us right now.  That wont last forever.  I am sure it will be addressed

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am not sure they are quite as good but having a goalie is one thing you have over us right now.  That wont last forever.  I am sure it will be addressed

They're not quite as good?

You used to tell us we had nothing like Ristolainen...then Ghost and Provorov skated right past him in development. Couturier had more points than Eichel, and is better defensively. Konecny and Reinhart had almost identical points this year, only Konecny is a year and a half younger and was picked 24th while reinhart went 2nd overall. Ryan O'Reilly is a lot closer to Claude Girouxs age than the rest of the guys you named.

37 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They're not quite as good?

You used to tell us we had nothing like Ristolainen...then Ghost and Provorov skated right past him in development. Couturier had more points than Eichel, and is better defensively. Konecny and Reinhart had almost identical points this year, only Konecny is a year and a half younger and was picked 24th while reinhart went 2nd overall. Ryan O'Reilly is a lot closer to Claude Girouxs age than the rest of the guys you named.

Risto is better than anyone you have on D

31 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Risto is better than anyone you have on D

No he isn't he couldn't hold Provorov's jock.

Ivan has scored twice as many goals as he has AND plays defense!

On 5/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, flyercanuck said:

Konecny and Reinhart had almost identical points this year, only Konecny is a year and a half younger and was picked 24th while reinhart went 2nd overall.

Plus, Reinhart stats were sucking until Eichel went out and he took over his spot on the top pp. Kon's right now, is the better prospect with better upside.....and more heart. 

I figured HJ would have turned this thread into a "my Dad is bigger than your Dad" kinda thing...LOL, some things never change. 

Overall, a GREAT week, perhaps the GREATEST week ever for Buffalo sports??  You have the Sabres finally winning the NHL Draft Lottery, after missing out a few years in a row.....and bestowed upon them, the right to draft Dahelin. Most scouts swear this kid is better than Denis Potvin was at this age....I don't know how many remember a young Potvin, but I do....and that carries A LOT of weight with me. Potvin was creative, tough, physical, smart, fast, amazing skater....IF Dahelin is really a young Potvin, WATCH OUT> 

Plus, the Bills, FINALLY may have solved the decade old problem of QB, by drafting Josh Allen. They have not had a decent QB since Jim Kelly graced the field. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

They have not had a decent QB since Jim Kelly graced the field.

That loser?   He could wine her and dine her and get her back to the room, but when the climactic moment presented itself, he just couldn't rise to the occasion.  

You heard it here first:  Allen will be a bust. 

Lol @Buffalo kids are better. One group finished third in its division and the other is drafting first overall after tanking for several years.   

#Winning

On 5/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, flyercanuck said:

Ryan O'Reilly is a lot closer to Claude Girouxs age than the rest of the guys you named.

And has lost his love of hockey. That interview was damned depressing. 

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That loser?   He could wine her and dine her and get her back to the room, but when the climactic moment presented itself, he just couldn't rise to the occasion.  

You heard it here first:  Allen will be a bust. 

ha ha.....I see your point, 4 chances at the prom and never got laid once....LOL!  I do think he was a great QB, and some of those loses, I pin on squirm'in Thurman and Scott Norwood, but I digress, he is a loser like you said. I love Allen's arm, maybe the best arm "ever"??  His challenge will be figuring out what defenses are doing to him....if he gets by that hurdle, he will be a STAR, if not, yeah a bust. BUT what a GREAT arm!!

• 2 weeks later...

According to Bob McKenzie, every player on the Sabres except for Eichel is in play, and he believes O'Reilly is the most likely to be moved. Apparently the Sabres want a "Mike Richards-esque" package to move him, and the two current most likely candidates are Montreal and Carolina. 

When I heard that they were entertaining the thought of trading O'Reilly, my immediate thought was Montreal was a likely candidate, as they are in dire need of a center, any center. And you'd have to imagine that Galchenyuk would be the starting point on any negotiation there.

Apparently, there are rumors that Ristolainen may be a target for Edmonton. Not sure what Edmonton has that Buffalo could want. 

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Apparently, there are rumors that Ristolainen may be a target for Edmonton. Not sure what Edmonton has that Buffalo could want. 

I read the same thing. The talk was Klefbom and 10th overall for Risto.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

And here I was thinking Edmonton didn't have the assets to overpay for another player...

It wouldn't be a huge overpayment, given the premium on RHD in the league, but that's still too much for Risto.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And here I was thinking Edmonton didn't have the assets to overpay for another player...

It wouldn't be a huge overpayment, given the premium on RHD in the league, but that's still too much for Risto.

That's a huge overpay. We were talking about Hamilton, but Risto was my fallback on my wishlist. If that's the cost point, then I guess that's out. 

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I wouldn't do it either, but ChiaPete has a pretty established history of receiving less talent than he sends away. It's all that I see when I close my eyes.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:26 PM, JR Ewing said:

I'd pay that for Risto. The guy is pretty damn good and Klefbom is fool's gold, unlikely to ever get better

14 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'd pay that for Risto. The guy is pretty damn good and Klefbom is fool's gold, unlikely to ever get better

Klefbom is good, but my main issue with him is his health.

2011 - Missed majority of season after being cut on the thigh by a skate and then suffering long term staph infection. Came back at end of season and suffered a concussion.

2012 - Missed most of the season due to shoulder injury, requiring surgery.

2013 - Concussed in annual pre-season game against U of A Golden Bears.

2014 - Disastrous first year in NA. Played only 10 games after being out due to ankle problems, shoulder injury, upper body, and undisclosed issue.

2015 - Mostly uninjured, played well.

2016 - Missed last quarter of season after developing staph infection after a skate fell from above him in his locker stall and lacerated his thigh. Oilers also had to invent a heavily modified skate boot for him to deal with ongoing ankle issues.

2017 - Uninjured, had excellent season.

2018 - Missed last quarter of the season after finally having surgery he'd required since last summer.

Health is a MAJOR issue going forward for Klefbom. It's tough to develop if you don't play.

Archived