Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

The thing with Hamilton and why I really believe he's available is several factors. First, Calgary wants to get back into the first round. He's the guy from that defense that could easily return that first round pick. Second, Rasmus Anderson is ready and can fill Hamilton's role at a significantly reduced cost. Don't forget that Calgary had numerous players making a minimum of $5 million or more a year. Cap space is a valuable asset, especially for a team like Calgary. Third, moving Hamilton also can help fill other holes on the club. Let's face it, a 25 year old right handed defenseman that can put up 40+ points per year is going to garner more than just a first. The kind of return Calgary could get for Hamilton could really fill holes on the club. Finally, where there's smoke, there's fire. There's just too much talk from all circles about Hamilton and the fact that nobody from the Calgary organization has come out to deny the rumors speaks in volumes. There's definitely something there. Maybe Hamilton doesn't get moved, but there's definitely dialogue happening.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There's just too much talk from all circles about Hamilton and the fact that nobody from the Calgary organization has come out to deny the rumors speaks in volumes. There's definitely something there. Maybe Hamilton doesn't get moved, but there's definitely dialogue happening.

Yeah i remember something about him last year and his hockey IQ.

Then you hear this and you're like really??? That is scary that he could be a dumb dumb....

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Second, Rasmus Anderson is ready and can fill Hamilton's role at a significantly reduced cost.

Yeah Calgary does have a nice pair of Swedes who i can see as their future #1 D pair in Anderson and Kylington who could be ready too.

You'd think they would eventually like to move their captain ( 4 more years at 6.75 mill...yikes)and his horrible contract too at some point.

Do they let Bartkowski walk?? Not sure.

They could take Radko back but it may atleast take Hagg and the 1st to help fill out the backend.

Giordano/Hamonic

Hagg/Stone

Kylington/Anderson

Kulak

Would give them a nice young but eventually skilled backend.

But what else goes with Hagg the 1st and what??  Because it's a slow saturday morning i'll play....

I've heard the Flyers are interested in the Caps' John Carlson from a couple different places.  He'd be an interesting addition.  Still only 28 and an UFA.  That would make some of the younger defensemen expendable  who would then be nice assets to exchange for help up front.

3 minutes ago, Poconono said:

I've heard the Flyers are interested in the Caps' John Carlson from a couple different places.  He'd be an interesting addition.  Still only 28 and an UFA.  That would make some of the younger defensemen expendable  who would then be nice assets to exchange for help up front.

Well Flyers could use a righty on the blueline for sure....and not Gudas isn't enough.

In fact if you were to sign him i would like to move Radko and maybe another Dman o make room for Morin.

I would love love for the other guy to be Mcdud but i can't see a take unless you package a pick or prospect with him.

So the guy who could be moved/shipped out with trade value could be Hagg.

But i don't think the Flyers want to get into a bidding war with the Wings and Leafs for his services.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah Calgary does have a nice pair of Swedes who i can see as their future #1 D pair in Anderson and Kylington who could be ready too.

You'd think they would eventually like to move their captain ( 4 more years at 6.75 mill...yikes)and his horrible contract too at some point.

Do they let Bartkowski walk?? Not sure.

They could take Radko back but it may atleast take Hagg and the 1st to help fill out the backend.

Giordano/Hamonic

Hagg/Stone

Kylington/Anderson

Kulak

Would give them a nice young but eventually skilled backend.

But what else goes with Hagg the 1st and what??  Because it's a slow saturday morning i'll play....

I get no one wants to give up quality, but would you trade Provorov for a 3rd pairing defenseman and a mid 1st round pick?

Hextall would get crucified for a deal like that. 

And even if you add, say, Simmonds, it’s still giving them mediocre assets given his age and likely decline. Quantity alone doesn’t get it done. I’d think at least Sanheim or Myers, or Frost. 

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think they do.

After he played much better than last year and put up 17 goals and is only 25 soon, a right hand shot and 6-6.

If they do move him i think it will cost more.

The Wings, Oilers and Leafs (just to name a few) would kill to have a Dman like that.

But i can't see them moving him he is to valuable to them.

@brelic

See above post.

That is why I said and posted this on the last page I guess you didn't see it.

I don't think they do it unless for a huge overpayment.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

@brelic

See above post.

I don’t want Hamilton or anyone else via trade if we have to give up

pick. Unless we can also unload dead weight; Weiss, Gudas, Lehtera, Weal, AMac.

Otherwise my choice is Carlson via FA. Perfect fit next to Provy.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I get no one wants to give up quality, but would you trade Provorov for a 3rd pairing defenseman and a mid 1st round pick?

Hextall would get crucified for a deal like that. 

And even if you add, say, Simmonds, it’s still giving them mediocre assets given his age and likely decline. Quantity alone doesn’t get it done. I’d think at least Sanheim or Myers, or Frost. 

I'd give up Myers in the package. I wouldn't think twice about it either. If you've got guys like Hamilton, Gostisbehere and Hagg playing the right side, Myers becomes the odd man out. As long as Sanheim and Frost aren't going anywhere, then yes, I'm perfectly fine with parting with Myers if it means Hamilton. Look at what the defense would look like going forward:

Provorov - Gostisbehere

Sanheim - Hamilton

Morin - Hagg

We're talking about two potentially elite two-way pairings and a third pairing that becomes the shut down guys in the late stages of a game. I'm all for it. Now, I fully understand I would be in the minority for moving Myers, but he cost the Flyers nothing and to return a defenseman who can play 23+ minutes a night, contribute 15+ goals a year and is signed for the next few seasons? I'm onboard with it. So, make the deal:

To Calgary: Wayne Simmonds, Phillip Myers, the 19th overall pick

To Philadelphia: Dougie Hamilton, Dillon Dube

And with that lineup, you can then move Gudas and get a nice reward for him. I bet he'd be a great fit out west. I'm willing to bet a team like Anaheim would love Gudas and if the Flyers could get a guy like Adam Henrique for him, look at what the forwards look like:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

Laughton - Henrique - NAK

Raffl - Vorobyev - Vecchione

Don't forget that with the Calgary trade,  the Flyers still end up with a real good prospect in Dillon Dube and they keep the 14th, which means possibly one of: Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Hayton, Farabee, Kupari, etc.....

I'm actually excited for this offseason. There's money to play with, the Flyers have two picks in the first, they have a deep prospect pool and they've got time on their sides in terms of when the rest of the blue chippers are ready to make the jump. Now is the time to fix the blue line and have a legitimate 1 through 4 and get younger up front. Once again, just my $0.02 worth.

After suffering through twenty years of very mediocre (at best) defensemen, I'm in no rush to trade away our young defensemen. This would be Hamilton's third team in seven years(?). Who knows what Myers, Sanheim, or Friedman might develop into. Additionally their cost will be a lot less than Hamilton. I'm with you all the way on trading Gudas for Henrique! 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@brelic

See above post.

Yeah i must have missed it.

The red flag for me is yet another team willing to move him. Reminds me a bit of the Drouin situation.  Most of my friends who are Habs fans are not fans of Drouin, and not just because he cost them Sergachev. So maybe it’s a character thing? Who knows, but it is odd.

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

After suffering through twenty years of very mediocre (at best) defensemen, I'm in no rush to trade away our young defensemen. This would be Hamilton's third team in seven years(?). Who knows what Myers, Sanheim, or Friedman might develop into. Additionally their cost will be a lot less than Hamilton. I'm with you all the way on trading Gudas for Henrique! 

Myers looks good and has a right handed shot. He wouldn't be my choice to move. I'm fascinated by the Hamilton idea, but I'm not willing to include Myers. I'm not really excited about moving any of the kids, actually, but know that's what it would take. Begrudgingly, I'd move Hagg, but I don't really want to. 

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah i must have missed it.

The red flag for me is yet another team willing to move him. Reminds me a bit of the Drouin situation.  Most of my friends who are Habs fans are not fans of Drouin, and not just because he cost them Sergachev. So maybe it’s a character thing? Who knows, but it is odd.

Part of the reason for that may have been the team's idiotic insistence on putting him at center. 

He has the tools to be a really good player, but he's red hot and then corpse cold for long stretches. He reminds me of Schenn in that regard. 

Hamilton has actually been very good for Calgary, so you have to imagine there's some sort of backroom issue. You can't really hold the first trade against Hamilton though. It was Chiarelli; he's an idiot. 

So thoughts on Jason Spezza as a 3rd line center??? Anyone does he have anything left in the tank???

Just asking since it has been slow around these parts??? Or would Bozak be a better option??

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So thoughts on Jason Spezza as a 3rd line center??? Anyone does he have anything left in the tank???

Just asking since it has been slow around these parts??? Or would Bozak be a better option??

He really dropped off this past year.   I don't know whether that was the way he was used or whether he's jumped the shark...or a combination of both.

They played him largely on wing this past year (which, I'm here to tell you, killed his fantasy value!), largely with Janmark & Shore or Janmark & Radulov.   Neither lines were particularly effective and a stat-killer for Radulov.

I don't know if that was Hitchcock.  I don't think he got out of the team what he should have, depsite Seguin seeming to thrive.

He still has this coming year on his contract ($7.5M cap hit!).  That amount is ungodly high for a 3rd line center to begin with and especially so for any repeat of only 26 points.    I think I'd pass.  Bozak is younger (not extremely, only 3 years), a UFA so you don't have to move assets, and much cheaper ($4.2M cap hit on his just completed contract, but you could probably get him for 1-2 years for same or less).  Of the two, I think I go Bozak.

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He really dropped off this past year.   I don't know whether that was the way he was used or whether he's jumped the shark...or a combination of both.

They played him largely on wing this past year (which, I'm here to tell you, killed his fantasy value!), largely with Janmark & Shore or Janmark & Radulov.   Neither lines were particularly effective and a stat-killer for Radulov.

I don't know if that was Hitchcock.  I don't think he got out of the team what he should have, depsite Seguin seeming to thrive.

He still has this coming year on his contract ($7.5M cap hit!).  That amount is ungodly high for a 3rd line center to begin with and especially so for any repeat of only 26 points.    I think I'd pass.  Bozak is younger (not extremely, only 3 years), a UFA so you don't have to move assets, and much cheaper ($4.2M cap hit on his just completed contract, but you could probably get him for 1-2 years for same or less).  Of the two, I think I go Bozak.

Oh my bad I was thinking he was a UFA and was thinking of giving him a cheap one year deal.

No way I touch him at 7.5 mill.

So Bozak looks like a legit 3rd line center option of course depending on what he wants.

I give him a 2 year deal tops.

But what he wants per year could be a deal breaker.

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh my bad I was thinking he was a UFA and was thinking of giving him a cheap one year deal.

Yeah, otherwise he has always had some compete in him and would be a nice vet.   A one-year at $4Mish would have been fine.  And I do prefer him at center.  I think Hitch was misusing him on the wing.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

LOL  Spezza is actually making more than Seguin.   The world is cruel sometimes.

Seriously ...wow ...just wow.  If I'm Seguin I'm demanding a raise or at least something substantial ...... like free  tattoo's for the rest of his life .....

On 5/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, briere48 said:

sounds like you are ok with this team just losing for another 5 years because u dont want vets in the right positons, it has to all young players, oilers way, um ok, more complaining and alot of finger pointing at the coach because you want all youth players, that's very good plan because they were rebuilding for ten years.

All they really need is a toughfighter ® and that will surely put them back into the hunt. 

29 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Go for Anderson then not Dougie

I'd go for Rasmus Andersson, but I really think if they're moving Hamilton, Andersson is at least one of the defensemen they're trying to make room for.

Even with Hamilton, now I'm stuck in "what do we do about the Seattle expansion draft?" thing.  Same with Andersson.  I mean, I don't think it's prudent to NOT do moves simply because of that hanging there, but...

Then again, with Hamilton, maybe you do go for him and get two years out of him and then leave him exposed.  He'd have one more year on his salary at that point and may actually be attractive to Seattle.   It would save the other kids.    If we got Andersson--a good player and definitely good on the wishlist--you almost have to protect him.   Maybe you just do that.   I suspect he's not for sale, though.

Wonder if the Knights will let Sbisa walk....i would kick the tires on him if he were available...wonder if they would take Gudas off the Flyers hands for Sbia's rights...just thinking aloud but Sbisa can play the right side....

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wonder if the Knights will let Sbisa walk....i would kick the tires on him if he were available...wonder if they would take Gudas off the Flyers hands for Sbia's rights...just thinking aloud but Sbisa can play the right side....

Welcome home the prodigal son....

i remember the day he was part of the package to bring in Pronger

Archived