Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Like what? Boston isn't really team you hear about having a fantastic prospect pool at present. They feel much more like a team whose good prospects are already on the roster.

Yeah, Boston doesn't seem like a strong possibility to me, but boy would the Bruins look good with Simmonds.

If we were to trade Simmonds for them, DeBrusk has to be coming back.  And at least their 2018 3rd round pick (not a fantastic pick, I think they're #77 or something).    DeBrusk would look really good next to Patrick and Voracek, but the problem is now you're starting almost from scratch on your entire third line.  From our side of things, DeBrusk doesn't go RFA until 2020-21 and is still on his modest ELC pay.

I cannot fathom why Boston would trade DeBrusk for Simmonds, but that would be my asking price.  The Bruins don't have a ton of cap room, especially if they have any intention of resigning Rick Nash.

Just as an aside, I'm on record of not liking Rick Nash, but if Boston doesn't sign him and he'll play here on a 2-year term, I'm thinking long and hard about it.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, brelic said:

So in that vein, DeBrusk? Not sure Boston would trade him though.

Forsbacka-Karlsson?

Okay, but is DeBrusk really that much better than what we currently have in prospects? Is he better than Lindblom? Rubstov? Vorobyev? Allison? NAK? Frost? Ratcliffe?

I mean, we obviously can never have too many young guns, but does getting another guy like that really make us that much better in 2018-19? 19-20? Ever?

Simmonds is a top flight talent. He's underused and expendable on this current team, but that doesn't make him any less of a top flight talent. We should be targeting a player that A) is NHL ready and B) fills a current need. We should be able to land a guy like that in a trade for Simmonds. I'm not sure why we'd aim lower than that.

The moment Simmonds is gone, we're left with not much else to move. Hex needs to be smart and try to get the biggest bang he can. This trade needs to help the team take a solid step forward imo.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This guy...

...i start here....or walk away...

Honestly, he could still come along, but of him and DeBrusk, I'm more interested in Debrusk.  They were drafted #14 (Debrusk) and #15 and are about a half year apart in age.  But while DeBrusk has made it and had a good rookie run in the NHL, Senyshyn has fallen off a bit in his first AHL year.   So far, his OHL scoring hasn't translated.    I think he has the skill, but right now if I can grab a LWer who has shown it versus a RWer who hasn't (yet), the "LW" is really the deal-breaker for me.   Plus, oddly, Debrusk makes less (not enough of a difference to matter, but still interesting to me).

I wouldn't hate the Senyshyn thing and I think Boston would be more likely to do that than DeBrusk, but now the value of the accompanying draft pick I want with him has gone up.

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I cannot fathom why Boston would trade DeBrusk for Simmonds, but that would be my asking price.  The Bruins don't have a ton of cap room, especially if they have any intention of resigning Rick Nash.

Just as an aside, I'm on record of not liking Rick Nash, but if Boston doesn't sign him and he'll play here on a 2-year term, I'm thinking long and hard about it.

Yeah, fair enough. DeBrusk as a starting piece could work. I'd expect at least a pick coming back as well though.

As far as Nash goes, can he play on the right?

Giroux / Couts / TK

DeBrusk / Patrick / Voracek

Lindblom / ??? / Nash

Still missing that 3C though, and we'd have no Simmonds to get one.

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But while DeBrusk has made it and had a good rookie run in the NHL, Senyshyn has fallen off a bit in his first AHL year.

It is only one year of AHL i wouldn't get that worried about that. Debrusk only put up 49 points in his first and only season.

Senyshyn is the goal scorer we seek. And brings more size at 6-3 compared to Debrusk at 6-0.

I would love to have him if you can get him. I wouldn't be upset with Debrusk.

I just not sure they want to move him and create a hole at LW in their lineup.

13 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Okay, but is DeBrusk really that much better than what we currently have in prospects? Is he better than Lindblom? Rubstov? Vorobyev? Allison? NAK? Frost? Ratcliffe?

He's better than all of them in that he has proven he can play in the NHL now. Lindblom is there too, but is still pretty green and an unknown quantity. 

13 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I mean, we obviously can never have too many young guns, but does getting another guy like that really make us that much better in 2018-19? 19-20? Ever?

Simmonds is a top flight talent. He's underused and expendable on this current team, but that doesn't make him any less of a top flight talent. We should be targeting a player that A) is NHL ready and B) fills a current need. We should be able to land a guy like that in a trade for Simmonds. I'm not sure why we'd aim lower than that.

The moment Simmonds is gone, we're left with not much else to move. Hex needs to be smart and try to get the biggest bang he can. This trade needs to help the team take a solid step forward imo.

I agree - it makes sense for Hextall to really explore all the possibilities to see what he can get for Simmonds or Simmonds+, and I think his mentality has shifted towards making the NHL team better now rather than more futures.

It could be a busy weekend, or it could be a quiet weekend. I have no idea. 

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, fair enough. DeBrusk as a starting piece could work. I'd expect at least a pick coming back as well though.

Giroux / Couts / TK

Lindblom / ??? / Nash

Why would they plug a hole then create one??

They don't have anyone to take Debrusk's spot on the 2nd line so can't see this happening.

If they were to take Simmer it would be for their 3rd line RW spot. 

They would roll:

Patrnak

Backes

Simmer

Acciari

Down the right side.

It is why my choice works better.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

He's better than all of them in that he has proven he can play in the NHL now.

They ain't going to plug the 3rd line and create a hole at 2nd line LW. PUT THE CONTROLLER DOWN!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Giroux / Couts / TK

Lindblom / ??? / Nash

Yeah, I want a pick coming back with DeBrusk, though I don't think you're getting much more than a 3rd rounder.  I think I'm okay with that.

Yeah, we'd still need a 3C, but we most likely haven't spent a lot of money yet.  I don't sign Nash for a heck of a lot more than Simmonds is making.  Maybe $5M, which adds maybe $1.25M to the cap.  Maybe even $5.5M for 2 years on Nash, but I still haven't added much to the cap and I have a lot of room to play with.  I'd still have money to go get a 3C in free agency or could still potentially make a trade.  With Lindblom already on that line, I don't know if I want to throw another rookie there--Vecchione or Vorobyov--but I suppose that could be a possible fallback.  I really don't want a circumstance in which Filppula returns to that position.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

They don't have anyone to take Debrusk's spot on the 2nd line so can't see this happening.

They would roll:

Patrnak

Backes

Simmer

Acciari

Down the right side.

I think Simmer displaces Backes if he goes to Boston. Younger and more productive. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

They ain't going to plug the 3rd line and create a hole at 2nd line LW. PUT THE CONTROLLER DOWN!!!!!!

What? Why? I think Debrusk is on the 2nd line here, and Lindblom moves down a line. The hole we still have is at 3C.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

What? Why? I think Debrusk is on the 2nd line here, and Lindblom moves down a line. The hole we still have is at 3C.

Exactly i think Simmer would play 3rd line...or even 2nd line put Backes on the 3rd. Who is going to replace Debrusk at the 2nd line LW hole you just made???

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They would roll:

Patrnak

Backes

Simmer

Acciari

Down the right side.

Yeah, that's actually my thought too.  Plus, they have a very manageable salary/cap in Debrusk with very limited cap room at the moment, so I agree this is extremely unlikely.   Your choice works better for Boston, but I'm not convinced it does for Philly.    

I personally don't think Boston is a good trading partner for this in that I don't think what works for them works really well for us.  Plus, if I'm trading Simmonds and can, I'd really much prefer his going west.  Someone like Ryan Donato would be an outside possibility but is RFA after this season.  He can play LW and C.  I'd want a substantial pick (1st round) with him, though, but he'd instantly go on my 3rd line at LW.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really don't want a circumstance in which Filppula returns to that position.

Yeah, at the risk of exposing the elephant in the room, I'm pretty sure if Simmonds doesn't net us a 2-3C, we're looking at Filppula again. 

Sorry folks.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Simmer plugs in at 2nd line right wing, but I still wonder why they do that and create the hole on the other side.

Senyshyn would be a great trade. Give him a chance to win the 3rd line RW spot.

Konecny

Voracek

Senyshyn

Aube Kubel

That would be a nice right side.

Sign Bozak or Stastny to play 3rd line center.

Giroux/Coots/Konecny

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Laughton/Bozak/Senyshyn

Raffl/Vorobyev/Aube Kubel

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lehtera/Wiese

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Your choice works better for Boston, but I'm not convinced it does for Philly. 

Giroux/Coots/Konecny

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Laughton/Bozak/Senyshyn

Raffl/Vorobyev/Aube Kubel

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lehtera/Wiese

Senyshyn has two more year on his entry level deal.

I wish someone here was familiar with this kid and could say what a great deal this would be.

Only one who knows him well is probably 

@jammer2 or @flyercanuck

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Senyshyn would be a great trade. Give him a chance to win the 3rd line RW spot.

Konecny

Voracek

Senyshyn

Aube Kubel

He's a year away. I've seen nothing in the AHL indicating he's ready for the NHL (exclusively stats.  I haven't "seen" him).  Maybe that doesn't mean you don't do it, but I wouldn't create lines that include him for this season.

I would not make him the target, but if we're trading Simmonds to Boston should a sign & trade Riley Nash be involved?

Riley Nash + Senyshyn (for sake of argument and for OR's mental health--kidding) for Simmonds?   Are we okay that a pick is not coming back?  I don't know that there has to be a pick if we're getting a 3C and a near-ready 3RW.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

He's a year away. I've seen nothing in the AHL indicating he's ready for the NHL.  Maybe that doesn't mean you don't do it, but I wouldn't create lines that include him for this season.

That would get sorted out in camp/preseason.

I still would deal for him let him start with the Phantoms even...he is waiver exempt. Even on the Phantoms if Aube Kubel was to make the Flyers he could plug into the Phantoms 1st line and play...they don't have much RW depth there yet.

But as far as trading Simmonds to the Bruins i would want someone who is close to being ready....not much else in their farm i really want.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Konecny

Voracek

Senyshyn

Aube Kubel

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's a year away. I've seen nothing in the AHL indicating he's ready for the NHL (exclusively stats.  I haven't "seen" him).  Maybe that doesn't mean you don't do it, but I wouldn't create lines that include him for this season.

You know,  I'm saying he's a year away, but is he any further behind than what we have on the farm?  He's arguably ahead, so maybe just do it and find out.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I would not make him the target, but if we're trading Simmonds to Boston should a sign & trade Riley Nash be involved?

Riley Nash + Senyshyn (for sake of argument and for OR's mental health--kidding) for Simmonds?   Are we okay that a pick is not coming back?  I don't know that there has to be a pick if we're getting a 3C and a near-ready 3RW.

You may get more but Simmer is only under contract for one this upcoming year....unless they want to speak to hi to workout a longer deal then yeah i could see a 2nd rounder coming too maybe because Nash is a UFA so his rights don't mean much.

I threw this into the tail end of another post, but it's worth repeating (to me.  YMMV):  If I'm trading Simmonds, I think I want more than what Boston has to realistically offer and I really would prefer not trading him to the East.  Especially not to someone I may realistically have to play in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You know,  I'm saying he's a year away, but is he any further behind than what we have on the farm?  He's arguably ahead, so maybe just do it and find out.

Exactly. Can't say for sure but in a year or two yes for sure. Kid is a sniper.

Worst case he plays 1st line on the Phantoms most of the year.

They are thin at RW if Aube Kubel makes the jump. 

Archived