Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

On 6/22/2018 at 6:21 PM, ruxpin said:

Without knowing what's going back the other way, what the hell would the Flyers do with O'Reilly?   Are we swinging Patrick to wing or dropping him to 3C?

Giroux -  Couturier -- Konecny

Patrick -- O'Reilly -- Voracek

Lindblom -- 3C -- Simmonds

Laughton -- Vecchione --- Raffl/Weal

or

Giroux -- Couturier -- Konecny

Lindblom -- O'Reilly -- Voracek

Raffl/Weal -- Patrick -- Simmonds

Laughton -- Vecchione -- Raffl/Weal/Leier

I'm not excited, but I like some of either but both still need work.   And this is without knowing what's going back.

O’Reilly would be the 3C imo. He’d be a solid grab at this point. Patrick is far more skilled, but O’Reilly is good enough to push him and play 2C if needed. He also plays a respectable RW. 

Not sure what it would take to get him though. He’s also overpaid for what he brings, which is always bad. Still an interesting idea. 

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/22/2018 at 5:21 PM, ruxpin said:

Patrick  -- O'Reilly -- Voracek

Lindblom -- 3C -- Simmonds

Laughton -- Vecchione --- Raffl/Weal

I would go with this until someone is signed....i really wouldn't want that contract but hey i will play...

O'Reilly -- Patrick -- Voracek

Lindblom -- Vorobyev -- Simmonds

Laughton -- Vecchione --- Raffl

O'Reilly was a solid LW the time he played the position in Colorado....so due to his salary i would try him on the 2nd line first.

Lindblom and Vorobyev would hopefully rekindle the magic they had on the Phantoms early last year.

So what i must have missed before even going further what did the Flyers give up for O'Reilly??

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would go with this until someone is signed....i really wouldn't want that contract but hey i will play...

O'Reilly -- Patrick -- Voracek

Lindblom -- Vorobyev -- Simmonds

Laughton -- Vecchione --- Raffl

O'Reilly was a solid LW the time he played the position in Colorado....so due to his salary i would try him on the 2nd line first.

Lindblom and Vorobyev would hopefully rekindle the magic they had on the Phantoms early last year.

So what i must have missed before even going further what did the Flyers give up for O'Reilly??

My hesitation with this is that O'Reilly is a really good faceoff guy. I suppose he could take the draws but play wing.  I think he's wasted at wing. 

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

My hesitation with this is that O'Reilly is a really good faceoff guy. I suppose he could take the draws but play wing.  I think he's wasted at wing. 

Hey in this fantasy nightmare i am the coach you're the GM.

Don't tell me how to throw my lineup out there!!!! :hehe:

Just find me a damn goalie!!!!!!!! :joe:

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey in this fantasy nightmare i am the coach you're the GM.

Don't tell me how to throw my lineup out there!!!! :hehe:

Just find me a damn goalie!!!!!!!! :joe:

We should bring Mike Richards back. He's usually wasted, too. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

It could work a lot like the Giroux/Couturier dynamic. Two solid face off guys on one line doesn’t have to be wasted if you’re strategic about, and it gives you an extra weapon when one gets tossed out lol. 

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

It could work a lot like the Giroux/Couturier dynamic. Two solid face off guys on one line doesn’t have to be wasted if you’re strategic about, and it gives you an extra weapon when one gets tossed out lol. 

Just seems like we added $7.5M and still need a 3C with that plan, though.  While having the opportunity to have a really strong 1-2-3 down the middle. 

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Just seems like we added $7.5M and still need a 3C with that plan, though.  While having the opportunity to have a really strong 1-2-3 down the middle. 

Well they have 21.7mill to spend so I can see Ron saving about 2 mill in cushion in case something bad happens but that still leave you with 19 mill to spend and unlike the NFL where you can roll over unused capspace it's a use it or lose it type of thing.

So where do they spend the rest of that $$$$?

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they have 21.7mill to spend so I can see Ron saving about 2 mill in cushion in case something bad happens but that still leave you with 19 mill to spend and unlike the NFL where you can roll over unused capspace it's a use it or lose it type of thing.

So where do they spend the rest of that $$$$?

That's fine, but in 3 years he'll be spending that on Provorov, Konecny, Patrick, Sanheim, and others. I'm okay with O'Reilly (if unexcited), so if we're not going to use him where he's best suited, we can go get another center provided the term is no more than 2 years. 

Or simply put one of the better centers in the league at center where he belongs and fill in some wingers. I think there's a bunch of RFAs still unsigned, so anywhere from 5-7M is probably going there.  You still should have 7-9 million to spend on another center or winger or combination of that and veteran dman with 2 year term. 

Interesting rumour out of Toronto is to give Tavares a max 1 year deal ($15.9M), and then negotiate an 8-year extension after January 1. So he basically gets 9 years out of it including a one-year bonanza.

I don't know, I feel like the fact that Lamoriello was *just* in Toronto as the GM almost seals it for Toronto, in the sense of a master plan. He went to the Isles solely for the purpose of nudging Tavares towards Toronto. 

I know that's almost certainly NOT the case, but Lamoriello is so shady and full of crap that I wouldn't put it past him.

So that being said, I don't think there's any chance Hextall wastes his time pursuing Tavares. I wonder if Stastny might be a better avenue, but apparently Winnipeg is trying to clear space for him. 

28 minutes ago, brelic said:

Interesting rumour out of Toronto is to give Tavares a max 1 year deal ($15.9M), and then negotiate an 8-year extension after January 1. So he basically gets 9 years out of it including a one-year bonanza.

I don't know, I feel like the fact that Lamoriello was *just* in Toronto as the GM almost seals it for Toronto, in the sense of a master plan. He went to the Isles solely for the purpose of nudging Tavares towards Toronto. 

I know that's almost certainly NOT the case, but Lamoriello is so shady and full of crap that I wouldn't put it past him.

So that being said, I don't think there's any chance Hextall wastes his time pursuing Tavares. I wonder if Stastny might be a better avenue, but apparently Winnipeg is trying to clear space for him. 

Even if Tavares signs in Toronto with that contract, Matthews and Marner's entry-level contracts are up after this year and I don't see either one taking a hometown discount. Besides if Toronto doesn't shore up their defence then Tavares isn't going to help them.

Tavares, from the stories that have been written about him, is a low key type of guy which doesn't work when you play in Toronto for the Leafs. He won't be able to go anywhere without being bugged about everything especially if the team is playing ****.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

but Lamoriello is so shady and full of crap that I wouldn't put it past him.

Someone here used to call him "prince of lies"... it stuck. My wife and I were watching the draft, yes, Mrs Mojo is fuking awesome, and I called Lou by that name and she laughed her head off, then listening to him said, that dude is shady.

btw: she loved O'Brien, "that kid has it"  thought Farabee was okay but "needs to eat some cheeseburgers", and thinks Noah Dobson likes boys because he looked like he was smelling pooh when he was talking to Kathryn Tappen.  

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Someone here used to call him "prince of lies"... it stuck. My wife and I were watching the draft, yes, Mrs Mojo is fuking awesome, and I called Lou by that name and she laughed her head off, then listening to him said, that dude is shady.

Right?? And he gets away with it. He's like a more successful and shadier version of Holmgren and Clarke, who weren't averse to their own shenanigans. 

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

btw: she loved O'Brien, "that kid has it"  thought Farabee was okay but "needs to eat some cheeseburgers", and thinks Noah Dobson likes boys because he looked like he was smelling pooh when he was talking to Kathryn Tappen.  

Love the O'Brien pick too! I found this on HF Boards - 

Pierre Mcgiure was on TSN radio Friday before the draft and the hosts asked for a sleeper. He named O’Brien. He said he watched a lot of him after his cancer surgery in January and he’s been watching that league closely for 30 years and he’s the best player he’s ever seen in that league and that’s including Roenick. He was slotted to go in the second round but he will go from 17-25.

The Flyers seem to like late-risers - O'Brien, Frost, Sanheim. Solid scouting.

Not sure what to make of Farabee. Sheesh, 6'0" and only 164??? I guess it's a bit like Sanheim, isn't it? I seem to recall him being in the 160s in his draft year. I'm 5'10", 165 with an athletic build, and I would get demolished in the NHL!

Maybe we can  have an all-USHL line of Cates/Farabee/O'Brien someday.

Can the leafs pull off a long term deal for Tavares given the youth they have coming up and due for big contracts?  I don't know.

I wonder if Tavares (and maybe Lou) are using this interview period as a "market check" for his Islanders deal.  In other words, maybe Tavares has basically committed to staying but wants to make sure he's not leaving money on the table.  

I would be surprised if Tavares left.  The Islanders did just about everything they could to improve themselves and show a commitment to winning (at least in the next few years).  Hire legit GM, hire Stanley Cup winning coach, have a great draft.  Yeah, they still have to sign a goaltender.  But if Tavares really preferred to remain an Islander, subject to seeing that level of commitment, then I don't see him leaving at this point.

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Can the leafs pull off a long term deal for Tavares given the youth they have coming up and due for big contracts?  I don't know.

Yeah, I don't know how they do.   They have 24 million to play with this year with only 37 of 50 contracts.  That's actually doable.  

It's Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc. that is going to make this dicey.  And they still have no defense to speak of.  Hainsey and Gardiner come off next summer, so maybe they go cheaper on defense, but they're going to have some cap issues in the near future and walk away from growing toward a contender if they sign Tavares.  

In the topic of the Flyers, who will the Flyers sign on July 1?  Will they buy anyone out?

Some thoughts:

- Figures that, in a year when Flyers have $$$, the UFA market is pretty ugly.

- Bozak is getting interest around the league.  Possible that the asking price will be too high for Hextall.

- Read a report that the Jets would like to resign Stastny.  Another 3C option possibly off the table.

- No other 3C/4C candidate impresses me.  I think Derek Ryan from Carolina could be a darkhorse.

- Will Hextall get a RHD?  Does he need one with Myers possibly joining the club?  Again, the RHD market seems poor.  Maybe a bottom pairing type guy.

- Any wingers out there worth looking at?  Neal?  Grabner?  JVR?  Maybe Komarov for some toughness in the lineup.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I don't know how they do.   They have 24 million to play with this year with only 37 of 50 contracts.  That's actually doable.  

It's Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc. that is going to make this dicey.  And they still have no defense to speak of.  Hainsey and Gardiner come off next summer, so maybe they go cheaper on defense, but they're going to have some cap issues in the near future and walk away from growing toward a contender if they sign Tavares.  

Yeah, I kind of feel like they may be hurting themselves in the longer term.  I don't know their cap situation all that well, so maybe they free up $$$ in the future and have cheap prospects on the way.  No idea.

10 minutes ago, vis said:

Yeah, I kind of feel like they may be hurting themselves in the longer term.  I don't know their cap situation all that well, so maybe they free up $$$ in the future and have cheap prospects on the way.  No idea.

Yeah, I mean Marleau has two seasons left at $6.25M against the Cap.  So that will help. And Nathan Horton's $5.3M.  That helps their first day cap number.  

But that's a season too late in terms of Matthews, Marner & Kapanen.   And Nylander needs to be paid yet this summer.     I guess it could be sign and worry about that when the time comes, but they haven't won anything yet.  It's one thing for Chicago to saddle itself with unworkable contracts so that they have to destruct and go cheap after they've had two parades.  But if Toronto signs him, it seems like it's setting itself up for that before a parade, a la Holmgren.   I don't know.  I think it's a mistake.

This is why I was heavily arguing against him for Philly all season.  

2 hours ago, vis said:

In the topic of the Flyers, who will the Flyers sign on July 1?  Will they buy anyone out?

I don't think they will. One of Lehtera or Weise is likely AHL-bound, and the other can serve as a depth forward. I mean, for one more year of Lehtera, I think it's fine to suck it up.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Some thoughts:

- Figures that, in a year when Flyers have $$$, the UFA market is pretty ugly.

I don't think that's such a bad thing. It would be under Holmgren because we had no in-house options. But now we do, even if they come with some growing pains. 

2 hours ago, vis said:

- Bozak is getting interest around the league.  Possible that the asking price will be too high for Hextall.

So, it's a bit tricky with whichever 3C/4C option we go with. How long would you sign Bozak? I'm thinking no more than 3, which would bring him to 35 years old. He might want either 2 or 6+.

The question of contract length is one that affects our pipeline. The closest to the NHL is probably Vorobyev followed by Vecchione. I don't know that Bozak makes this team measurably better - he's the same age Filppula was when we got him with similar production, and that's the downswing of a career.

Laughton had almost the same play driving Corsi (51% vs 53% for Bozak), faceoff % (52% vs 53% for Bozak), despite getting way fewer OZ starts (47% vs 57% for Bozak).

Laughton hits 3x more.

So how terrible would it be to go with Laughton / Vorobyev and let them work out who is 3C and 4C with their play?

On a 2 year contract, I think I'd take Bozak. Anything more, and I go with the in-house players. 

If we're talking Tavares or Stastny, then that's different. They change the team in a measurable way. I don't think Bozak does that any better than what we already have. He's just going to get worse whereas our guys are going to get better (in theory).

2 hours ago, vis said:

- Read a report that the Jets would like to resign Stastny.  Another 3C option possibly off the table.

That's too bad. But again, probably way too much for too long.

2 hours ago, vis said:

- No other 3C/4C candidate impresses me.  I think Derek Ryan from Carolina could be a darkhorse.

- Will Hextall get a RHD?  Does he need one with Myers possibly joining the club?  Again, the RHD market seems poor.  Maybe a bottom pairing type guy.

Ain't much out there, is there? Green, Bieksa, Sustr, Prout, Schenn. 

Honestly, are they any better than Gudas? I don't think so. It would just be change for the sake of change. 

I think it's going to be a really slow and uneventful summer for Hextall when I look at the free agent options.

Trade is another story.

2 hours ago, vis said:

- Any wingers out there worth looking at?  Neal?  Grabner?  JVR?  Maybe Komarov for some toughness in the lineup.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Chicago did not qualify Anthony Duclair.

Wow... what happens now? Just a typical fielding calls and trying to land some sort of contract from the highest bidder? What's the value of a kid who should be good but hasn't been?

6 hours ago, brelic said:

Sheesh, 6'0" and only 164???

He is a kid and still growing.

If you watch him put on his hockey jersey when they got him up on stage, he just to me must carry all his weight in his legs because he has no upper body definition ( his arms and shoulders are as small as my wimpy wife's ) which i guess is to be expected from a kid who is a skater.

He just needs to be put on a routine that will work his upper body to get some muscle up there to prepare him for the rigors of college hockey and eventually the NHL. 

When he gets to the Flyers in a few weeks they will give him and offseason regimen in the gym...and that will carry over to college.

With dedication to nutrition and gym time he will bulk up. At his young age he has plenty of IGF-1 coursing through his veins.

Jeremy Roenick was just 5-11 170 when he got drafted. And in time eventually grew to 6-1 205.

So i think he will be ok...kid has tools you can't teach.

7 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Here's one for the reclamation booth: Chicago did not qualify Anthony Duclair.

Flyers won't do it...it is too obvious of a free chance at some talent...sure Hak might make him a doghouse candidate but i would love to give a kid like him a chance if all it takes is to make him an offer...

Archived