Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

Ah this is where all this talk is coming from these two...just woke up and about to head to work...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Quick-Hits-D-men-JVR-American-Flyers-Bernie-Charity-Classic-More/45/93790

1) Flyers general manager Ron Hextall said on Tuesday that he will continue to monitor the unrestricted free agent defenseman market for depth options but is unlikely to add a third-line center at that point. He did not rule out a trade as an option. 

In terms of UFA defensemen to fill a 3rd pairing or 7th D role, I could see ex-Flyer Luca Sbisa or Dan Hamhuis (who is no longer in position to handpick a team) being of potential interest on a one-year contract. However, adding a second right handed defenseman to the top seven mix is preferable until Philippe Myers is deemed NHL ready.

I think they should find a right hand shot. I like Folin or maybe even Cody Franson on a PTO deal for a camp look. 

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Weal is the new 3rd line center??? That is news (and turribe news) to me...

Best-Centres-5-vs-5.png

Best-Centres-all-situations.png

I still think they sign a 3rd line option at center....and if not i think Vorobyev will eventually get the spot.  

But in no way do i want Weal to be the 3rd line center....he ain't cut out for that role.

Actually, in those graphs, Weal looks pretty decent. No worse than middle of the pack.

Somehow, Couturier is last in the league on both of them. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I do not want Weal at 3C.  You're begging to waste the season. 

I agree I would rather his spot go to NAK or some other kid.

So is just an AHLer at best.

Can't you guys get him a job at a Wawas up there or something?

On 7/1/2018 at 5:57 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think de Haan is out the Flyers range with term.

I would be ok with a lower tier Dman like Christian Folin who is a right hand shot and could be a nice pair with Hagg.

Would be a Swede pair. Just a thought....Flyers were interested in him when he came out of college before he signed in Minny.

Nothing flashy just subtle play...put it on net...good size at 6-3 210.

BUMP!!!!!!!!

Yeah Ron called me first thing this morning and asked me what i thought.....so you're welcome!!!!

@ruxpin

On 6/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, OccamsRazor said:

What is your thought on Calvin de Haan as a vet presence on defense?? Worth a look???

Or if you want to go a right hand shot what about Christian Folin??? 3 goals 10 assist +1 in 65 games for KIngs last year.

I like the thought of a Swede pair on the bottom pair of Hagg/Folin some nice size and skill for the bottom pair.

Hagg 6-2 and Folin 6-3 and wouldn't break the bank.

@ruxpin

I told Ron jump thumb through the thread there are some good suggestions there.

I like this move a lot. They tried to sign him out of college and he went with the Wild because he is good friends with Brodin.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

@ruxpin

I told Ron jump thumb through the thread there are some good suggestions there.

I like this move a lot. They tried to sign him out of college and he went with the Wild because he is good friends with Brodin.

I'm okay with him splitting time with Gudas.   As soon as Myers is ready...

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with him splitting time with Gudas.   As soon as Myers is ready...

Well I hope he helps make Gudas the best popcorn maker on the team. 

He (Radko) and Lehtera can bond as Jori shows him his secret on the popcorn making....

I'm fine if they're done, but if they're going to make one more move this offseason, here's my made up trade based on nothing other than what I want, think the team needs, and think is plausible:

Weise, Weal, Neuvirth, and a conditional third (better pick out of Philly's or NJ's) to Ottawa

for 

JG Pageau, Anderson, and Clarke MacArthur.

Anderson wants out, he has two years left - perfect for the Hart mentorship. MacArthur is hanging out in Florida dealing with concussion symptoms and won't ever play again, also has two years left - Flyers can pay him to sit at home, and throw him on LTIR if it's necessary. Pageau is cheap, young, also has two years left - he's a good bridge to Frost. I'm probably off on the value, as I'm not sure how much negative value each of Weise, MacArthur, and Neuvirth have, and the Flyers are getting the two best players in the deal, but I believe this is a workable framework, and I don't think you'd need to add another roster player or "A" prospect to finalize it. While I'd love to pry Stone out of there, there's no place for him unless you unload Simmonds, which I really don't think they want to, and Stone would be a really expensive 3rd line option.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Pageau - Simmonds

Raffl - Laughton - Leier (re-signed 850k)

Lehtera, MacArthur (IR)

Provorov - Gostisbehere

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald - Hagg (re-signed 1.5 million)

Folin, Morin (IR)

Anderson

Elliott

Leaves 3.2 million in cap space.

29 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Weise, Weal, Neuvirth, and a conditional third (better pick out of Philly's or NJ's) to Ottawa

for 

I have a hard time thinking any GM would be very interested in Weise, Weal, or Neuvirth. It would be great to get rid of so much garbage in one fell swoop, but it seems quite unlikely to me. I feel like there would be nothing in that trade for OTT aside from a third rounder.

Unfortunately, the more likely outcome is that all three of those guys will need to either run out their contracts or be bought out.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I have a hard time thinking any GM would be very interested in Weise, Weal, or Neuvirth. It would be great to get rid of so much garbage in one fell swoop, but it seems quite unlikely to me. I feel like there would be nothing in that trade for OTT aside from a third rounder.

Unfortunately, the more likely outcome is that all three of those guys will need to either run out their contracts or be bought out.

You're probably right, and I have no problem adding to it, but there are some salary-based mitigating factors that make things a bit more interesting, considering Ottawa wants to be at the cap floor.

Weise makes 2.35 in real salary this year, but next year it's down to 1.75. Flyers have paid Neuvirth's and Weal's 500k signing bonuses this year already. Both Neuvirth and Weise are still NHL-level players. Good ones? Weise isn't. Neuvirth isn't bad, but he has (well documented) health issues. The flip side is that both Pageau and MacArthur make more than their cap hits. The move I proposed would save Ottawa 18.1 million in real dollars over the next two years. I'm just not sure how to quantify the value that would have to Melnyk.

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

Leier and Lyon have filed for arbitration.

Hagg, Goulbourne, Stolarz, Martel, and Wilcox did not. 

What, if anything, would you read into that?

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Not sure. With low-tier players like Leier and Lyon, I don't think it's a big deal. For someone like Mark Stone (who filed), it's probably more of an issue. 

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Not sure. With low-tier players like Leier and Lyon, I don't think it's a big deal. For someone like Mark Stone (who filed), it's probably more of an issue. 

I'm wondering, too, about those who did not.    Do you figure that means they're otherwise close?   Or really doesn't mean anything much at all?

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Nothing really. Hagg, Stolarz, and Martel weren't eligible. Leier and Lyon didn't really do anything to make an arbitration case. Probably just a "clock ticking" sort of thing.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I'm fine if they're done, but if they're going to make one more move this offseason, here's my made up trade based on nothing other than what I want, think the team needs, and think is plausible:

for 

Anderson wants out, he has two years left - perfect for the Hart mentorship. MacArthur is hanging out in Florida dealing with concussion symptoms and won't ever play again, also has two years left - Flyers can pay him to sit at home, and throw him on LTIR if it's necessary. Pageau is cheap, young, also has two years left - he's a good bridge to Frost. I'm probably off on the value, as I'm not sure how much negative value each of Weise, MacArthur, and Neuvirth have, and the Flyers are getting the two best players in the deal, but I believe this is a workable framework, and I don't think you'd need to add another roster player or "A" prospect to finalize it. While I'd love to pry Stone out of there, there's no place for him unless you unload Simmonds, which I really don't think they want to, and Stone would be a really expensive 3rd line option.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Pageau - Simmonds

Raffl - Laughton - Leier (re-signed 850k)

Lehtera, MacArthur (IR)

Provorov - Gostisbehere

Sanheim - Gudas

MacDonald - Hagg (re-signed 1.5 million)

Folin, Morin (IR)

Anderson

Elliott

Leaves 3.2 million in cap space.

From your fingers to Hextall's frontal lobe.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:47 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Lexus, stage 1.  Lexus, stage 1.  Guys, lets here it for Lexus!

I once heard: "Lexxus with two X's to the front stage."  You know they said it that way because there must be another "Lexus" with only one X in her name.  

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

For Leier, I couldn't care less.  Dude should take whatever was offered and be happy.  Don't see how arbitration works in his favor.

Lyon is a more interesting case.  I think he's important to the Flyers for at least this year and I think the Flyers would like to sign him.  He knows there are kids coming up that will likely supplant him in the near future, so he probably wants to try to max his salary.  I think the threat of an arbitration award benefits him in his negotiations.  If the Flyers walk away, he may end up in another org with less goaltender depth.

29 minutes ago, vis said:

For Leier, I couldn't care less.  Dude should take whatever was offered and be happy.  Don't see how arbitration works in his favor.

Yeah. 

I don't really mind Leier. He's a cheap 4th line kid who may actually be a tweener. I'm not sure he was used intelligently by Hakstol. 

But I agree he should just take what he gets and be happy, because he could just as easily be replaced with an ad in the Shopper. 

Archived