Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

So i guess we need a new thread topic to beat to death...not including the draft, there is a dedicated thread already about that topic...this is about free agency/retooling the lineup.

Image result for beating a dead horse gif

..so i'll take the first swing. 

I think they need to decide what direction they are going to go in goal for next. NO WAY THEY CAN STAND PAT WITH WHAT THEY HAVE. (sorry for shouting)

As must as i would love for them to just hit the reset on the NHL goalies they have i know that isn't realistic.

#1 Walk away from Mrazek wish him well in his KHL career.

#2 Try if you can to move Neuvy (even if you have to eat half his salary)....last option is to waive him to the AHL next year.

#3 Look for other options in net to platoon with Elliott. Someone hopefully who can push Elliott to the backup spot.

So do they resign Lyon or Stolarz with intentions of letting the compete for the spot with Elliott??

Or do they go out an try to lure another option to Philly.

As stated before i would push for Carter Hutton.

If you would prefer a younger however not as experienced option who could still challenge i would throw Harri Sateri's name in the hat.

Freeagent goalie list:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/Sv/all/goalies/ufa

I will just address the net for now. The blueline and forwards i will address in a different post.

Interested to hear other thoughts/plans/ideas....looks like we will have a long offseason once again to talk about this.

Go Flyers.

I will throw out my lineup plan for now.

Giroux-Coots-TK

Lindblom-Patty-Jake

Martel-Vorobyev-Simmer

Laughton-Vex-Raffl

----------------------------------

Weise Leier

Provy/McDud

Ghost/Hagg

Morin/Sanehim

----------------------------

Gudas

Hutton

Elliott

Sure a younger lineup....but hey i'm rolling the dice...

Go Flyers!!!!

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

When was the last time the Flyers made the right deal for the right goalie? Seriously. Putting thought and logic to this endeavor is foolhardy.

Don't let your past decide your future.

In all seriousness though, I think it may be best to do as you mentioned and try and move Neuvirth and see if either Lyon or Stolie are ready to make the leap. 

The one area I want to stay patient in is the net. I truly believe that we have something special in Hart and would hate to block his chances of making the team in a few years. 

However, the forwards is where I want to see Hextall stop sitting on his damn hands and make a move. They drastically need to revamp the bottom six. 

59 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

After looking at that goalie list, I nominate this guy:

Image result for shooter tutor

That's the unforgiving version of the shooter tutor too. Those holes are tiny (to us non NHL-caliber types anyway).

All in all, I'd expect a 10x upgrade compared to Elliott from this guy.

@brelic, #GetHexyOnThePhone.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

#2 Try if you can to move Neuvy (even if you have to eat half his salary)....last option is to waive him to the AHL next year.

#3 Look for other options in net to platoon with Elliott. Someone hopefully who can push Elliott to the backup spot.

Mrazek is already gone. I can't imagine anyone would want Neuvy. He may get waived, but only if someone else can take his spot obviously. I doubt he'd get bought out on a one year deal. It makes more sense just to bury him in that case as you suggest. He'll only play half the games anyway.

That doesn't address the problem that is Elliott mind you, but it's something. I honestly don't know what Hexy can do to make the goalie situation much better next year. None of the names on that goalie list is very inspiring, though virtually any of them should be an upgrade over Elliott really.

Would Stolarz or Lyon really be any worse than the guys on that list? I dunno. If Neuvy is to be shipped to LHV, it would probably be reasonable to just have Lyon or Stolie as back up on the big club for a year. That doesn't solve the Elliott problem, but it's the cheapest option. Really, none of those UFAs are likely to be much better than Elliott, despite Elliott being awful.

Elliott/Hutton, Elliott/Bernier, Elliott/Halak... it all seems like kind of a wash to me. Hutton makes sense cause he's cheapest of them all though. If we're going to be paying for mediocrity, we may as well pay the least amount possible.

No solutions to offer really. Barring some sort of unforeseen trade, 2018-19 is likely to be a bad goalie year no matter how we cut it. We just don't have any decent options unfortunately.

I read somewhere thatn Stolarz reinjured his knee again, so a goalie with recurring knee issues is not what we need,we already have Neuvy . Neuvy is staying in the US this summer , getting hip surgery and he hired a new trainer. If he stays healthy he is our best goalie, but that is a big if.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Would Stolarz or Lyon really be any worse than the guys on that list? I dunno.

See i don't know. Wish i did.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I read somewhere thatn Stolarz reinjured his knee again, so a goalie with recurring knee issues is not what we need,we already have Neuvy . Neuvy is staying in the US this summer , getting hip surgery and he hired a new trainer. If he stays healthy he is our best goalie, but that is a big if.

Not sure were you saw that??

He looks fine to me....

I think one of Stolie or Lyon could be showing Hart the way in the AHL and possibly the other the backup in goal to Elliott??

Yeah that would be risky as hell.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Hutton makes sense cause he's cheapest of them all though.

And he has the best stats of the available guys. 17-7 931% is pretty decent....hell we would all be happy if Elliott sported a 931 save percentage....we would be having the conversation really.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

giphy.gif

Is he a UFA??

Hexy may hold tight. Holmgren is advocating giving up a 1st and their 2nd round pick until 2045

I think it is imperative to get Ivan and TK signed to nice bridge deals (after July 1st) before the start of the season before they raise their price even more than were they are at now.

Hagg should get a modest bump too.

Morin will get a slight bump too not as much as Hagg.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i guess we need a new thread topic to beat to death...not including the draft, there is a dedicated thread already about that topic...this is about free agency/retooling the lineup.

Image result for beating a dead horse gif

..so i'll take the first swing. 

I think they need to decide what direction they are going to go in goal for next. NO WAY THEY CAN STAND PAT WITH WHAT THEY HAVE. (sorry for shouting)

As must as i would love for them to just hit the reset on the NHL goalies they have i know that isn't realistic.

So do they resign Lyon or Stolarz with intentions of letting the compete for the spot with Elliott??

If you would prefer a younger however not as experienced option who could still challenge i would throw Harri Sateri's name in the hat.

Freeagent goalie list:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/Sv/all/goalies/ufa

I will just address the net for now. The blueline and forwards i will address in a different post.

Interested to hear other thoughts/plans/ideas....looks like we will have a long offseason once again to talk about this.

Go Flyers.

I will throw out my lineup plan for now.

Giroux-Coots-TK

Lindblom-Patty-Jake

Martel-Vorobyev-Simmer

Laughton-Vex-Raffl

Weise Leier

Provy/McDud

Ghost/Hagg

Morin/Sanehim

Gudas

Hutton

Elliott

Sure a younger lineup....but hey i'm rolling the dice...

Go Flyers!!!!

I like Hutton's ability, but he's never been a starter

#1) Mrazek's even confirmed the first half of this one.

#2) I've been on this kick elsewhere and now I really like it:  Keep Neuvirth  His salary doesn't hurt you.  They NEVER carry the full 23 man roster.  Carry Neuvy as the 23rd man.  Assume he's in the press box 99% of games.  But keep him on the roster to USE HIM IN PRACTICE.  The reports from Elliott and Neuvy mid season were that it wasn't just Hakstol starting them each 25 games in a row without a break, but playing the full 120 minute practices every day.  YOu need a dummy to shoot pucks at?  Neuvy and Stolarz are your guys... just keep Elliott limber and let him work on what he needs to work on, but don't waste his 32 year old abs on giving Giroux target practice.

#3) I actually like Stolarz as the backup, but the gang on BSH radio pointed out the possibility of trading picks for an actually good goalie with two years left on his contract.  Unfortunately, the only goalie I see that fits that bill is M.A. Fleury.  Western conference team... would he wave?  I highly doubt it.  Corey Crawford?  Maybe if Chicago has an heir apparent I'm not aware of.  I don't really have any other suggestions.

Carter Hutton is fine... Bernier would be fine by me too... Just not sure they're buying a whole lot more than Elliott.  

I like Anders Nilsson in Vancouver as well.  Between him, Stolarz and Elliott, a team should be able to survive a season.

If your system sports Lyon and Hart, you're not nearly as screwed as they were this year.  

I like your D plan, but I still REALLY like A Mac and Sanheim.  They were ridiculous down the stretch.  Ghost and Provy should stay together as well.  So the question is if they'll have the guts to pair Morin and Hagg.  Morin says he's comfortable on the right... we'll see.  Gudas HAS to be traded or be the 7th man.  Morin HAS to be on this team next fall.  He HAS to.  He'd better get his ass healthy, but the rest is on the Flyers.  He HAS to be playing.  

At forwards, they have to acquire somebody. Your lineup is fun, but there are way too many minor leaguers making the leap on it.    I think everyone in the organization would prefer a 3C and I'd agree.  After Patrick got himself healthy and back into some kind of shape, the weakest link on the team was clearly Filppula and the injured Simmonds which usually damaged whoever they stuck them with as well (typically Weal). 

I could also (forgive my redundancy again if you've read me type this elsewhere) see them packaging picks for this center or possibly for a winger if they sign the Center in Free Agency. 

Mark Stone is my preference, but Ottawa also has Hoffman who is also pretty good and has played center.  

I like the idea of Vecchione and Vorobyov.  I could see one of them making the team next fall, but I wouldn't want both at the same time.  

I'm not sold on Martel at all.  Is he still waiver exempt, I wonder?

I

Giroux-Coots-TK

Lindblom-Patty-Jake

Martel-Vorobyev-Simmer

Laughton-Vex-Raffl

Weise Leier

Provy/McDud

Ghost/Hagg

Morin/Sanehim

Gudas

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think one of Stolie or Lyon could be showing Hart the way in the AHL and possibly the other the backup in goal to Elliott??

Yeah that would be risky as hell.

It would be risky as hell... maybe, but maybe not.  It's really about Stolarz's health.  He was the defacto backup plan for this past season until he got hurt.  Hextall outright said that they assumed Neuvirth was going to get hurt and that's why they brought in Elliott.  He essentially said that they wanted Neuvirth with Stolarz backing him up, but they realized it would only be a matter of time before that made Stolarz the starter and they weren't quite comfortable with that, especially with him coming off knee surgery which then turned into a second season ending surgery before the season even started.

BUT... imagine this year if instead of having to sign Mrazek, Hextall just had to suck it up and bring up Carter Hart before he wants to?  That's what doing nothing at Goalie looks like for this team next year.

Not ideal, but far from as bad as this year. 

I still want to keep Neuvy for practices.  I think that'll go a long way for Elliott's durability. 

38 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Offer Elliott and a 2nd for Cam Talbot.

Oilers:  "Cam... we know we're insulting you by even asking this as I'm sure you never want to leave Edmonton, but what would you say about waiv..."

Talbot:  "-Sure! Where am I going?"

32 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I actually like Stolarz as the backup, but the gang on BSH radio pointed out the possibility of trading picks for an actually good goalie with two years left on his contract.

I'd already suggested that. So you're welcome.

However I don't see it happening.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And he has the best stats of the available guys. 17-7 931% is pretty decent....hell we would all be happy if Elliott sported a 931 save percentage....we would be having the conversation really.

Do you know which other goalie sported a .930 (and a .940) save percentage with St Louis?

Brian Elliott.

18 hours ago, King Knut said:

BUT... imagine this year if instead of having to sign Mrazek, Hextall just had to suck it up and bring up Carter Hart before he wants to?  That's what doing nothing at Goalie looks like for this team next year.

Not ideal, but far from as bad as this year. 

That's not a great plan for Hextall to put himself in that situation. Without having any idea at all how Carter Hart will do in LHV, the team needs to have another goalie to use as the callup, whether that's Stolarz or Lyon or some other option.

M-A Fleury was brutal in his draft year when the Pens decided to play him. He looked totally overwhelmed. It took until draft+5 years for Fleury to have NHL-caliber numbers as a legitimate starter.

I think Hextall is going to roll with Elliott and Neuvirth and work in one of the Phantoms. Honestly, unless they're willing to give up assets and can move one of those goalies out and find a CLEARLY 'better' one, this makes the most sense. 

As a side note, the Leafs drafted and then traded Rask to the Bruins for Raycroft, who played two sub-.900 seasons for them.

Can you imagine if the Flyers had traded Hart for Mrazek??

52 minutes ago, brelic said:

Do you know which other goalie sported a .930 (and a .940) save percentage with St Louis?

Brian Elliott.

Ok sweet.....not sure what 7 years ago (when Elliott was 27) has to do with now....i guess you'll keep us in suspense. 

Hutton posted his at 32.

I've read a few articles on how Grubauer might be an interesting fit. His contract is up this season (RFA).

Granted, he's unlikely to morph into a vezina-caliber goaltender at this point, but he can't be any worse than Elliott. Would the Caps consider moving him? It's possible. They're likely to still be contenders next year and might want some depth. Simmonds comes to mind as the most likely option.

Simmonds to WSH for Grubauer and a 1st? Is that an overpayment for a career back up? It probably is actually, especially considering that 1st would likely be in the 20s. There would likely have to be a prospect or a second pick thrown into the mix.

2017-18 Stat Line:

Grubauer | 35 GP, .923%

Holtby | 54 GP, .907%

Elliott | 43 GP, .909%

9 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Would the Caps consider moving him?

He would be worth kicking the tires on....Samsonov is suppose to be coming over next year. However i imagine they want him in the AHL to start with.

So then who would backup Holtby???

And i'd imagine they were prefer to NOT deal with a rival.

With that said if you could send Neuvy (if they would even take him) and a pick i think that would be a good option.

But he did post those great number with the Caps and their system so you know....

...i'm just kidding just picking at @brelic and his reasoning.

Sure i would look at everything that didn't involve bring Elliott and Neuvy back next year....one of the two shouldn't come back.

Archived