Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

You may get more but Simmer is only under contract for one this upcoming year....unless they want to speak to hi to workout a longer deal then yeah i could see a 2nd rounder coming too maybe because Nash is a UFA so his rights don't mean much.

Yeah, if I'm taking Riley Nash it has to be a sign & trade or ability to work something out prior to the trade.  But pretending that part is done, I think it probably ends up Simmer for Nash + Senyshyn.  If they balk at the prospect, I take my shopping elsewhere.    

I agree, Flyers don't also get a pick unless they're permitted to work something out with Simmonds prior trade.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I threw this into the tail end of another post, but it's worth repeating (to me.  YMMV):  If I'm trading Simmonds, I think I want more than what Boston has to realistically offer and I really would prefer not trading him to the East.  Especially not to someone I may realistically have to play in the playoffs.

That was my response on the very first post. I don't want to trade him in the East and have play him.

But i was just playing along with the Broons trade....

...i'm totally cool finding a spot out West for him...

..i said Simmer for Ryan Ellis and no one responded in the post.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

i said Simmer for Ryan Ellis and no one responded in the post.

Sorry.  Didn't see that.

Well yeah, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but my concern is that Ellis is also UFA next year and should demand some coinage.  I don't know that Nashville trades their RHD for a RW but it wouldn't be the first time they traded from their defensive ranks for a forward (Seth Jones/Ryan Johansen).  And Lavy would certainly know what he's getting and they're short at RW.

While we're there, throw in Gudas and a pick and get Bonino.

I want no part of Dick Nash. He's done. As for Simmonds, if Hextall makes him available for trade, there should be no reason why there can't be eight to ten teams in on the bidding. He's a guy who clearly has a high pain tolerance/threshold, played through awful injuries this year and still scored 24 goals and is signed to a team friendly deal for one more season. At this point, try to get the following teams in on the bidding:

Dallas

Nashville

Boston

Toronto

Los Angeles

Colorado

Tampa Bay

Florida

Winnipeg

St. Louis

I'm certain a few clubs will drop out, but try to establish a bidding war and go from there. At the very least, a first and young roster player or top prospect should get the deal done. I know four of the teams don't have firsts, but if it's two very good prospects and a roster player that can play on the third line, then that's just as good as well. 

With regards to Simmonds ....found this from Bill Meltzer, who posted this earlier today.  Take it for what it is worth......

OK, this is strictly my own take based on a gut feeling. Ron Hextall keeps everything close to the vest.

However, from the gist of what I've heard from those I know in and/or are trusted by the upper-levels in the organization, I would not be surprised if they are fine with listening to offers for Simmonds. I also think they are NOT inclined to move him at the end of the day unless it is a no-brainer in Hextall's own estimation.

Otherwise, the intention appears to be to try to resign him, even if it goes into next season without a new deal. There is a goal internally to push the regular season point total over 100 points and to win a playoff round but without dealing assets/ prospects or pursuing the top-of-the-line external free agents. That's going to require all hands on deck to do.

Hextall is very big on the intangibles. If you listened to Anthony SF's podcast with Hexy last week, the GM talked a lot about fit within the room, general work habits and a player's desire to be a Flyer as things he factors along with all the on-ice stuff. It was said in reference to NHL-level roster decisions and not the Draft, in this case.

I know for an absolute fact that the players in the room consider Simmonds to be the guy who internally operates as the bad cop when needed yet is deeply respected and admired. Unless it's for a bigger return than the Flyers are likely to get, it would likely go over poorly within the room if he's traded. That is especially true on the heels of all that he played through this past season and the way he has everyone else's back on the ice and in public. Simmonds wears his heart on his sleeve, and wants to spend the rest of his career as a Flyer. He's said as much, but everyone knew it, anyway.

Is it impossible that Simmonds gets traded, whether at the Draft or by the trade deadline of next season? No.

Right now, though, it would take a lot of incentive to do so, and not primarily a draft pick asset in his particular case. The teams that are picking atop the Draft aren't the market where Simmonds would be their main off-season target. And what team that is a Simmonds type away from Cup contention would trade from its fast-rising young NHL roster talent plus a conditional high-end pick (even if it is in 2019) to do it, because I think that is the price tag the Flyers would have in mind.

Again, I could be proven 100 percent wrong. It's just my read.

37 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I want no part of Dick Nash

LOL   That's pretty much the way I view him.  I did mention him because he might be the type whose term fits and might help on the PK if not much on the score sheet.  But he wouldn't be in my top 20 options.

37 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Tampa Bay

That's interesting.   What would be your target in Tampa if you're Hextall?  Are we talking prospects and picks or maybe like a JT Miller?  Can we please go for Gourde?

I don't know their prospects well.  Alex Volkov?

All of the teams you listed are interesting to me and, I think, plausible, but Tampa happened to jump out to me.

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

LOL   That's pretty much the way I view him.  I did mention him because he might be the type whose term fits and might help on the PK if not much on the score sheet.  But he wouldn't be in my top 20 options.

That's interesting.   What would be your target in Tampa if you're Hextall?  Are we talking prospects and picks or maybe like a JT Miller?  Can we please go for Gourde?

I don't know their prospects well.  Alex Volkov?

All of the teams you listed are interesting to me and, I think, plausible, but Tampa happened to jump out to me.

Even though Tampa Bay cleaned out some of their prospects in the Miller/McDonaugh deal, there's still some really good prospects left. For instance, if you need wingers, Boris Katchouk and Taylor Raddysh are both very good players. In terms of defense, there's Ben Thomas, Matthew Spencer and Dominik Masin. You probably wouldn't get Miller or Gourde, but I could very easily see Tyler Johnson as part of a package for Simmonds. So, Johnson, Raddysh, and Spencer would probably be enough to seal the deal.

I'd love to find a way to get our hands on Cal Foote, but I'm suspecting that it will cost one of the firsts to get him.

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

You probably wouldn't get Miller or Gourde

That is fine i will take the Russian Rocket as the centerpiece to the deal...and he is a natural LW.

However i can't see Ron dealing hi within the conference unless he is blown away.

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Even though Tampa Bay cleaned out some of their prospects in the Miller/McDonaugh deal, there's still some really good prospects left. For instance, if you need wingers, Boris Katchouk and Taylor Raddysh are both very good players. In terms of defense, there's Ben Thomas, Matthew Spencer and Dominik Masin. You probably wouldn't get Miller or Gourde, but I could very easily see Tyler Johnson as part of a package for Simmonds. So, Johnson, Raddysh, and Spencer would probably be enough to seal the deal.

I'd love to find a way to get our hands on Cal Foote, but I'm suspecting that it will cost one of the firsts to get him.

I'd actually be happy with a deal that included Johnson.  I mean yeah, definitely part of a package, but that works.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is fine i will take the Russian Rocket as the centerpiece to the deal...and he is a natural LW.

However i can't see Ron dealing hi within the conference unless he is blown away.

Well, he dealt Braydon Coburn within the conference. Honestly, I see Hextall as one of those GMs that doesn't care about dealing in the conference as long as he gets a good deal. Either or, I'm hopeful that he can get a good package for Simmonds. If he gets a Matt Hoffman-like return for Simmonds, we're in a lot of trouble....lol

21 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, he dealt Braydon Coburn within the conference. Honestly, I see Hextall as one of those GMs that doesn't care about dealing in the conference as long as he gets a good deal. Either or, I'm hopeful that he can get a good package for Simmonds. If he gets a Matt Hoffman-like return for Simmonds, we're in a lot of trouble....lol

HA no one fears Braydon Coburn and what he would bring to the Bolts....I was so glad Coburn was dealt could careless if it was to Tampa.

The same can't be said for Simmer.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

HA no one fears Braydon Coburn and what he would bring to the Bolts....I was so glad Coburn was dealt could careless if it was to Tampa.

The same can't be said for Simmer.

I did have to laugh when I read the example.   Agree. 

Yeah, I get that it was Coburn, but at the same time, I remember so many people were upset that the Flyers dealt him within the conference. Honestly, there's only one guy on the team that I would rather see outside the conference and that's Gudas. I fear him more than Simmonds. Simmonds is a clean but tough player. Gudas is dirty and tough. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yeah, I get that it was Coburn, but at the same time, I remember so many people were upset that the Flyers dealt him within the conference. Honestly, there's only one guy on the team that I would rather see outside the conference and that's Gudas. I fear him more than Simmonds. Simmonds is a clean but tough player. Gudas is dirty and tough. 

One more time and Gudas is looking at 10 games right?

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Giroux/Coots/Konecny

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Laughton/Bozak/Senyshyn

Raffl/Vorobyev/Aube Kubel

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lehtera/Wiese

Senyshyn has two more year on his entry level deal.

I wish someone here was familiar with this kid and could say what a great deal this would be.

Only one who knows him well is probably 

@jammer2 or @flyercanuck

I have seen a fair amount of Senyshyn live, 3 games at if I recall correctly. Kid has nice wheels, wicked shot, good hockey IQ. In my view, he's a pure stud who has a legit chance at being a star in the NHL. 

14 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So, Johnson, Raddysh, and Spencer would probably be enough to seal the deal.

I take that deal and run...fast. Raddysh is gonna be a very good NHL winger. 

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I take that deal and run...fast. Raddysh is gonna be a very good NHL winger. 

No way you get that for Simmer....but i agree i would run with it....i like the Russian rocket instead since he is a LW but i also would take Raddysh...but no way the Flyers get all that...no way unless Stevie Y is drunk...

NHL Salary cap is 79.5 Million. Cap floor is 58.8 million. I never thought I'd say this:

The Flyers are officially under the cap floor (57.8 million).

Interesting:

Note that the deal also would have included Ennis' salary. Gotta think the Flyers could put together something similar. Worth it? Ennis worries me because I could see Hak overusing him for the last year of his contract. But Zucker and Niederreiter are both young, Zucker is RFA and Nino is locked up for 4 years at 5.25 million. Doesn't solve the 3C problem, but it fixes the wing depth for the foreseeable future.

55 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Interesting:

Note that the deal also would have included Ennis' salary. Gotta think the Flyers could put together something similar. Worth it? Ennis worries me because I could see Hak overusing him for the last year of his contract. But Zucker and Niederreiter are both young, Zucker is RFA and Nino is locked up for 4 years at 5.25 million. Doesn't solve the 3C problem, but it fixes the wing depth for the foreseeable future.

That is trade is hard to believe right there...

...Zucker who put up 33 goals (64 points) and Nino who put up 18 (32 points) for Domi and Dvorak just doesn't add up....must have been ore to that...someone would have lost their job for that trade holy smokes.

Ron needs to get on the phone before Fenton comes down off of whatever he is smoking!!!!!

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...Zucker who put up 33 goals (64 points) and Nino who put up 18 (32 points) for Domi and Dvorak just doesn't add up....must have been ore to that...someone would have lost their job for that trade holy smokes.

Ron needs to get on the phone before Fenton comes down off of whatever he is smoking!!!!!

Not a fan of Nino, but if they're giving Zucker away for so little, I want in on it. 

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well, again, there's the cap dump aspect of moving Ennis out, and Zucker's contract needs. Wild are center hungry, the thought is that they were attempting to clear space for an acquisition there.

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

there's the cap dump aspect of moving Ennis out, and Zucker's contract needs.

Ok well Ennis salary is a game changer....and as far Zucker goes i think he is worth a contract but i really really hate extending guys without getting a look to see if he even fits in with the club.....so yeah...i'll pass...

Archived