Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No no no no no. 

No on moving Patrick to wing. There's absolutely no reason to do that.   And no pushing him down for geriatric Thornton.   No, just no. 

Younger Dmen?  Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and Hagg all have less than 3.5 years.  The last two with only less than 1 year.  We have Morin and Myers coming. Do you even watch the Flyers? 

Incase I didn't say it enough: No. 

sounds like you are ok with this team just losing for another 5 years because u dont want vets in the right positons, it has to all young players, oilers way, um ok, more complaining and alot of finger pointing at the coach because you want all youth players, that's very good plan because they were rebuilding for ten years.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i disagree unless they are NOT trying to do something with that money as in bring in better players..

How many better players? It's not like the Flyers have room on the roster for many, and if they make room, it's going to be by shipping out contracts like Simmonds, Gudas, Neuvirth, or MacDonald. 

Your top six currently sits with Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, and Voracek as locks. That leaves one big money roster spot. If you push it to the top 9, you can add Simmonds and Lindblom. So you have 17.5 million dollars, minimum, to fill two roster spots (and re-sign a couple young guys). Current rosy projection is that the cap is going up to 80 million next season, so that 17.5 million could go to 22.5 million. 

As an example, I pushed the cap up half that amount to 77.5 million, had the Flyers re-sign Leier (0.8), Morin (1.25), and Hagg (1.25), sign Tavares at 10 million, and trade for Skinner, without moving any salary anywhere other than to the Phantoms.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Skinner - Tavares - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds

Weal - Laughton - Raffl

Leier

Provorov - Gostisbehere

Sanheim - MacDonald

Hagg - Gudas

Morin

Elliot

Neuvirth

Buried - Weise, Lehtera

And I still had half a million dollars in cap space. Do I think the Flyers will nab Tavares? Absolutely not. But this illustrates just how hard the Flyers would have to try to have a significant need for that extra 2.3 million they'd get by buying out Lehtera vs burying him. 

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

How many better players?

23??

No seriously more players could be added to your list even. To hard to say what goes on in Ron's brain he doesn't let it slip.

Or they could do nothing and just keep the guys they have and extend the guys who need it.

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Do I think the Flyers will nab Tavares? Absolutely not. But this illustrates just how hard the Flyers would have to try to have a significant need for that extra 2.3 million they'd get by buying out Lehtera vs burying him. 

Well since you're going to that then let's go all out then....

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Skinner - Tavares - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds

Lehtera - Laughton - Raffl

Leier

Provorov - Carlson

Sanheim - Ghost

Hagg - Gudas

Morin

Elliot

Neuvirth

Bury Weise and trade Weal.

Before you ask Mcdud bought out!!!!!

:cheers:

29 minutes ago, briere48 said:

sounds like you are ok with this team just losing for another 5 years because u dont want vets in the right positons, it has to all young players, oilers way, um ok, more complaining and alot of finger pointing at the coach because you want all youth players, that's very good plan because they were rebuilding for ten years.

Do you read your own posts? It's only fair if you do. It wouldn't be right if only the rest of us had to suffer reading them.

YOU are the one said you wanted younger dmen. I'm simply saying (have an adult read this to you). THEY ARE ALREADY YOUNG. HOW YOUNG DO YOU WANT THEM??? 12??

I don't mind the right vets in the right places. You suggested really bad possibilities in  positions we don't need them. It's your suggestions that relegate us to 5 more years of losing (we won more than we lost this year, so I repeat my question:  Do you even watch or follow the Flyers? Because your posts indicate you have no idea what you're talking about). 

Nothing new. 

Why settle for Carlson when you could have Doughty?

But that's the point I'm making. Hextall would have to go full Holmgren in order to push them back up against the cap in one offseason due to the young players they have on inexpensive contracts for this one season. Could he do it? Sure, he absolutely could. But I honestly can't see them targeting Tavares, much as I think potential concerns about his long-term effect on the team's cap situation are overblown. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all for him to dive into a strong LW market to find a scoring upgrade, be it by trading for Skinner, or signing a guy like Neal, Kane, or Nash. But that won't break the bank. Heck, I'd be down with him acquiring Skinner and signing Nash, and the Flyers shifting Giroux back to center. But that's still only likely to cost you around 10 million total.

I will say this, Ron didn't close the door on buying out Lehtera, he did say that that wasn't the plan but the plan can change. So if he does when the window opens in mid-June, then he is planning on a major acquisition. Tavares, Doughty, Karlsson? If he goes after that extra cash going into this offseason, there will be another large shoe dropping.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Why settle for Carlson when you could have Doughty?

But that's the point I'm making. Hextall would have to go full Holmgren in order to push them back up against the cap in one offseason due to the young players they have on inexpensive contracts for this one season. Could he do it? Sure, he absolutely could. But I honestly can't see them targeting Tavares, much as I think potential concerns about his long-term effect on the team's cap situation are overblown. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all for him to dive into a strong LW market to find a scoring upgrade, be it by trading for Skinner, or signing a guy like Neal, Kane, or Nash. But that won't break the bank. Heck, I'd be down with him acquiring Skinner and signing Nash, and the Flyers shifting Giroux back to center. But that's still only likely to cost you around 10 million total.

I will say this, Ron didn't close the door on buying out Lehtera, he did say that that wasn't the plan but the plan can change. So if he does when the window opens in mid-June, then he is planning on a major acquisition. Tavares, Doughty, Karlsson? If he goes after that extra cash going into this offseason, there will be another large shoe dropping.

Yeah, I think it will be targeted spending, not spending just to spend.  That means LW.   Maybe dman, but only if he moves Gudas (but he already has a developing logjam, so he may also have to move one of the kids if he gets a marquee-type dman).  Maybe goaltender.

Of your LW suggestions, I'm not a fan of the Neal or Kane as people.  On that score, I'd take Kane over Neal. I really don't like the latter.  For Nash, are you talking Rick or Riley?   I'd entertain Riley Nash for 3C.  I think that's the type of signing you might see.  I'd kick the tires on Skinner.  I have no use for him in fantasy, generally speaking, but he would have some value as 2L or 3L.

I don't buy out Lehtera.  I let him play out the season.  I don't want anyone to interpret this as I like the guy, but just swallow the money this year and clean cut and move on.    With a sane coach, he spends most of the time in the press box, anyway.  With Hakstol, he probably shares time between the third and fourth lines.  It's not ideal, but it's not horrible.

I do agree, though, that if he is bought out you should expect something big to follow.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I think it will be targeted spending, not spending just to spend.  That means LW.   Maybe dman, but only if he moves Gudas (but he already has a developing logjam, so he may also have to move one of the kids if he gets a marquee-type dman).  Maybe goaltender.

Of your LW suggestions, I'm not a fan of the Neal or Kane as people.  On that score, I'd take Kane over Neal. I really don't like the latter. 

I also don't like either, but they'll be out there. He could try to land Perron, but I'm not sure that 1 - the Flyers need another set-up man, or 2 - that his numbers aren't just a contract year mirage. There's also the ghost of Tomas Vanek, and Anthanasiou seems to be on the outs in Detroit, and might be a guy who is in need of a change of scenery. 

For Nash, are you talking Rick or Riley?

Rick. If you're playing him as the 3LW and on the penalty kill, he should probably still help this team. He might be a guy the Flyers could buy relatively low on.

I'd entertain Riley Nash for 3C.  I think that's the type of signing you might see. 

I'm not sold on Riley Nash as the 3C, I'd look more towards Bozak or Statsny, but I wouldn't burn Hextall in effigy, either - especially since both those guys will likely command term that the Flyers shouldn't necessarily give.

I'd kick the tires on Skinner.  I have no use for him in fantasy, generally speaking, but he would have some value as 2L or 3L.

And on the 2nd PP unit. Skinner can skate. The Flyers still need guys like that. Speed kills. Just look at the playoffs this year.

I don't buy out Lehtera.  I let him play out the season.  I don't want anyone to interpret this as I like the guy, but just swallow the money this year and clean cut and move on.    With a sane coach, he spends most of the time in the press box, anyway.  With Hakstol, he probably shares time between the third and fourth lines.  It's not ideal, but it's not horrible.

There's a decent chance that Hextall Matt Reads him and dumps him in LV for the season. At this point, there's no value to torpedo. And if someone is crazy enough to claim him off waivers, that 4.7 million in cap space is value in itself.

I do agree, though, that if he is bought out you should expect something big to follow.

I also don't like either, but they'll be out there. He could try to land Perron, but I'm not sure that 1 - the Flyers need another set-up man, or 2 - that his numbers aren't just a contract year mirage. There's also the ghost of Tomas Vanek, and Anthanasiou seems to be on the outs in Detroit, and might be a guy who is in need of a change of scenery. 

Rick. If you're playing him as the 3LW and on the penalty kill, he should probably still help this team. He might be a guy the Flyers could buy relatively low on.

I'm not sold on Riley Nash as the 3C, I'd look more towards Bozak or Statsny, but I wouldn't burn Hextall in effigy, either - especially since both those guys will likely command term that the Flyers shouldn't necessarily give.

And on the 2nd PP unit. Skinner can skate. The Flyers still need guys like that. Speed kills. Just look at the playoffs this year.

There's a decent chance that Hextall Matt Reads him and dumps him in LV for the season. At this point, there's no value to torpedo. And if someone is crazy enough to claim him off waivers, that 4.7 million in cap space is value in itself.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much in agreement straight up and down. I'm okay with Rick Nash on a "buy low.". I would never in a million years offered him his previous contract and I think he's worth less even now. In the role you state and at a $3.5-$4M two-year contract, I'm good.  I don't go higher or longer, though. 

I'm actual okay with Skinner for the roles and reasons you state. I also agree about Riley Nash.  I'd prefer Stastny too, I think, but wouldn't be overly upset if it were Riley Nash. 

Should be an interesting summer because there are certainly a lot of choices and a lot of directions Hextall could go. 

@ruxpin

just 2 weeks ago you were meh on Stasny...what has changed ?

I think he's been dynamite with the Jets.  He has been good everywhere he's played, is he an asshole or something ?

I know he's been traded a couple of times. I don't know what Armstrong was thinking when he ditched the season this year, I don't think that trade was on Stasny though.

I don't really know much about except he does play center, we're good there... other than that he shows up in the highlights a lot for scoring goals and that is something the Flyers need. 

38 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@ruxpin

just 2 weeks ago you were meh on Stasny...what has changed ?

I think he's been dynamite with the Jets.  He has been good everywhere he's played, is he an asshole or something ?

I know he's been traded a couple of times. I don't know what Armstrong was thinking when he ditched the season this year, I don't think that trade was on Stasny though.

I don't really know much about except he does play center, we're good there... other than that he shows up in the highlights a lot for scoring goals and that is something the Flyers need. 

Guilty as charged on the opening comment. I'm not entirely sold, to be honest, but have moved away some from my "hell no" position.  That position was based on the idea that Colorado seemed to too easily give up on him and Armstrong traded him away right in the middle of a playoff push. It might be 2+2=7, but I was using that to surmise that there may be more going on in private than we know. But I've heard nothing to bolster that thought. 

Most of what has changed that is what he's done on the Jets, but I have two hesitations regarding that. First, he is up for a contract.  Two, I think he's shown he can be really effective in the right situation, but I'm not certain that Philly is that right situation.  Winnipeg really comes at you. They have 2 high skill top lines and a very effective third.  Maybe that is coming in Philly.  But I do think the situation here is different than in the Peg.  Maybe it works for Stastny. I don't know. 

Like you, I don't know what to think. I don't understand Armstrong trading him, either. I'm actually thinking our situation in Philly is probably more similar to St. Louis than Winnipeg (but hopefully headed in opposite directions). So, again, maybe not the best situation for Stastny.  And I don't give him a ton of money or term. 

I think Filppula ends up being our 3C again next year, if I'm being honest. I'm not advocating for it, just predicting. So, I'm open to other options. 

4 hours ago, briere48 said:

There's nothing wrong with bringing in veterans to SUPPLEMENT the young players coming through. But to bring in a veteran to push a kid out of the way in a role that they're being groomed for is dumb. That's EXACTLY how you get an Edmonton situation. As much as I sincerely despise and hate Hakstol, Hextall knows what he's doing. Every veteran that's being brought in is being put into a support role to the young talent. That's how you build. Think of it like a house. The youth are the structure, support and foundation. The veterans are the finishings of the house. You can always change the finishings, but you don't want to mess with the structure because that's how you cave things in. 

And the team hasn't 'lost' for five seasons either. Yes, there were two seasons that they failed to qualify for the playoffs. With that being said, this will be yet another year that the team takes a big leap forward and even more youth is worked into the lineup. The season after next should be the year that the Flyers are a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I think we're pretty much in agreement straight up and down. I'm okay with Rick Nash on a "buy low.". I would never in a million years offered him his previous contract and I think he's worth less even now. In the role you state and at a $3.5-$4M two-year contract, I'm good.  I don't go higher or longer, though. 

I'm actual okay with Skinner for the roles and reasons you state. I also agree about Riley Nash.  I'd prefer Stastny too, I think, but wouldn't be overly upset if it were Riley Nash. 

Should be an interesting summer because there are certainly a lot of choices and a lot of directions Hextall could go. 

Yeah. BSH has referred to it as a "show, don't tell" offseason, and that's basically where I'm at. I'm not saying Hextall should go full Holmgren, trade all the picks and sign all the free agents, but he has the space and the assets to make at least one meaningful move that's something more than signing a couple UFA plugs to fill holes in the bottom 6. He can actually add one or two players with talent. He still needs to be a bit careful with the cap because the young guys will need to be re-signed, possibly to extensions this offseason in the case of Provorov and Konecny, but I would like to see at least one move made for a guy who is a legitimate 2nd line or high-end 3rd line player. Be it via trade or free agency, this is the season where he can and should actually start pushing the team, rather than letting it come up to speed on its own.

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah. BSH has referred to it as a "show, don't tell" offseason, and that's basically where I'm at. I'm not saying Hextall should go full Holmgren, trade all the picks and sign all the free agents, but he has the space and the assets to make at least one meaningful move that's something more than signing a couple UFA plugs to fill holes in the bottom 6. He can actually add one or two players with talent. He still needs to be a bit careful with the cap because the young guys will need to be re-signed, possibly to extensions this offseason in the case of Provorov and Konecny, but I would like to see at least one move made for a guy who is a legitimate 2nd line or high-end 3rd line player. Be it via trade or free agency, this is the season where he can and should actually start pushing the team, rather than letting it come up to speed on its own.

I'm all for adding a right handed defenseman to play the right side. Calgary is looking to shake things up and if Dougie Hamilton is something they're going to part with, I'd certainly have no problems dealing Simmonds and the 19th for Hamilton and a prospect like Dillon Dube. Some might think that's a steep price for the Flyers, but to have that solid right side defenseman that can play along side either Provorov or Sanheim is appealing, especially if that means that the stink known as MacDonald is relegated to the third pairing or extra defender.

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm all for adding a right handed defenseman to play the right side. Calgary is looking to shake things up and if Dougie Hamilton is something they're going to part with, I'd certainly have no problems dealing Simmonds and the 19th for Hamilton and a prospect like Dillon Dube. Some might think that's a steep price for the Flyers, but to have that solid right side defenseman that can play along side either Provorov or Sanheim is appealing, especially if that means that the stink known as MacDonald is relegated to the third pairing or extra defender.

With all due respect to Simmonds, whom I love, but I agree. In fact, you could make @ruxpin happy and probably make Gudas part of the package, since Calgary wants to get tougher, and ideally you want to clear out a roster spot on defense. It makes sense on a lot of levels for Calgary, as well, since they don't pick until the 4th round this year, and they could certainly use some help on the right hand side up front. The one thing I'm unsure of is if they actually want to move on from Hamilton. 

33 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

With all due respect to Simmonds, whom I love, but I agree. In fact, you could make @ruxpin happy and probably make Gudas part of the package, since Calgary wants to get tougher, and ideally you want to clear out a roster spot on defense. It makes sense on a lot of levels for Calgary, as well, since they don't pick until the 4th round this year, and they could certainly use some help on the right hand side up front. The one thing I'm unsure of is if they actually want to move on from Hamilton. 

Throw in stick of dynamite and trade Raffl, Hagg and a first for Johnny Hockey along with this deal....basically:

Raffl,, Gudas, Simmonds and a 2nd for Johnny Hockey and Hamilton.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

This is a balanced enough trade that Calgary might jump on 19th+Gudas+Simmonds if it were offered even if they weren't shopping Hamilton.  I think if I'm Hextall, though, I want some kind of lower pick back, even if it's not until next year. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This is a balanced enough trade that Calgary might jump on 19th+Gudas+Simmonds if it were offered even if they weren't shopping Hamilton.  I think if I'm Hextall, though, I want some kind of lower pick back, even if it's not until next year. 

Agreed. You'd need to bring back some other kind of piece to even it out. Or swap MacDonald for Gudas and call it a day.

Agreed. You'd need to bring back some other kind of piece to even it out. Or swap MacDonald for Gudas and call it a day.

Any chance we can just do 19th+MacDonald+Gudas for Hamilton? Lol

I myself thinks he adds a small piece or two (like a winger and center) who can score who won't break the bank like Grabner and a 3rd line center.

Then uses the cap space to extend some kids like Morin, Hagg and Leier.

Next he takes the rest and maybe holds onto it to evaluate the team during the season to see where they are at and if they look like they are a piece or two away use the remaining space to make a nice trade (for a Doughty or Karlsson type trade) to rearm the team for a deep playoff run.

And if they don't look good he could sell off assets to prepared for a coaching change after the season.

My 2 cents on what takes place.

13 hours ago, AJgoal said:

The one thing I'm unsure of is if they actually want to move on from Hamilton.

I don't think they do.

After he played much better than last year and put up 17 goals and is only 25 soon, a right hand shot and 6-6.

If they do move him i think it will cost more.

The Wings, Oilers and Leafs (just to name a few) would kill to have a Dman like that.

But i can't see them moving him he is to valuable to them.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't understand Armstrong trading him, either.

To me it was like throwing the towel in on his team and you could even feel it from the comments from the players after the trade went down.

Like it was the complete opposite message that Hextall sent his players by not doing anything.

Archived