Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Welcome home the prodigal son....

i remember the day he was part of the package to bring in Pronger

I know right...maybe he comes back home like Foles and brings the Cup with him...😝

And he is only 6 months older than Radko....after Radko's performance this past playoff they might have to eat some salary to move him.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2018 at 9:43 PM, pilldoc said:

Welcome home the prodigal son....

i remember the day he was part of the package to bring in Pronger

I always liked Sbisa and I was ticked when they sent him back to juniors and utterly unsurprised when he didn'y play as well upon his return.

Anyone who engages with me in a debate about whether or not a 19 year old should go back to juniors will eventually hear the name Luca Sbisa.  Dude had a truly bright career in front of him and the Flyers utterly screwed up his development.  

He's a good player and wears an A for the knights, but he could have been a truly great player.  

That said, I don't think the Flyers need him.  Unless Hextall can't count on Hakstol to actually play Myers and Sanheim... in which case by all means.  Bring Luca home.  

On 5/18/2018 at 2:28 PM, AJgoal said:

How many better players? It's not like the Flyers have room on the roster for many, and if they make room, it's going to be by shipping out contracts like Simmonds, Gudas, Neuvirth, or MacDonald. 

Your top six currently sits with Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, and Voracek as locks. That leaves one big money roster spot. If you push it to the top 9, you can add Simmonds and Lindblom. So you have 17.5 million dollars, minimum, to fill two roster spots (and re-sign a couple young guys). Current rosy projection is that the cap is going up to 80 million next season, so that 17.5 million could go to 22.5 million. 

As an example, I pushed the cap up half that amount to 77.5 million, had the Flyers re-sign Leier (0.8), Morin (1.25), and Hagg (1.25), sign Tavares at 10 million, and trade for Skinner, without moving any salary anywhere other than to the Phantoms.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Skinner - Tavares - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds

Weal - Laughton - Raffl

Leier

Provorov - Gostisbehere

Sanheim - MacDonald

Hagg - Gudas

Morin

Elliot

Neuvirth

Buried - Weise, Lehtera

And I still had half a million dollars in cap space. Do I think the Flyers will nab Tavares? Absolutely not. But this illustrates just how hard the Flyers would have to try to have a significant need for that extra 2.3 million they'd get by buying out Lehtera vs burying him. 

This is what I'm talking about! 

The only reason to buy out Lehtera is to ensure that Hakstol won't be able to play him.  If you sign a 2C or 3C, Laughton is your 4C and can move up for fill in work as needed.  You still have Vecchione and Vrobyov for injury call ups (they're most likely ready for such a role).  

with Morin out most of the year and Myers looking like a bit of a machine in the playoffs, I expect Myers to battle for Gudas' spot, but becasue he's a rookie, they'll likely sign a vet of some sort to have on hand rather than letting Hakstol put Myers in the press box every night.

Skinner would be a pretty beautiful add, do you send one of the firsts for him?  

11 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Skinner would be a pretty beautiful add, do you send one of the firsts for him?  

I think I would probably argue this either way, but right now I don't think I do a first round.   I think that's probably what the asking price will be, though.  I don't know.  He was a #7 overall pick in a decent draft, so that's an argument for, but has he really played like a first round pick is warranted?    I know he hasn't had great supporting casts, but he's so incredibly inconsistent.  This past year was a step back yet again and his career high is 63 points. That's nothing to sneeze at, but a first round pick?

I really don't know.  I want a shooting left winger for the second line and I think he'd have better linemates than he's had, but he is so hot/cold he'd most likely drive me nuts.

But, if we really do want Skinner, I think it does take a first round pick.

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think I would probably argue this either way, but right now I don't think I do a first round.   I think that's probably what the asking price will be, though.  I don't know.  He was a #7 overall pick in a decent draft, so that's an argument for, but has he really played like a first round pick is warranted?    I know he hasn't had great supporting casts, but he's so incredibly inconsistent.  This past year was a step back yet again and his career high is 63 points. That's nothing to sneeze at, but a first round pick?

I really don't know.  I want a shooting left winger for the second line and I think he'd have better linemates than he's had, but he is so hot/cold he'd most likely drive me nuts.

But, if we really do want Skinner, I think it does take a first round pick.

We got two firsts and Lehtera for Brayden Schenn who is the same age with less accomplished.  

Of course the major difference is Schenn was already on a friendly contract and Skinner is UFA at the end of next season. 

I'd happily send a first round and a vechhione/vrobyov type prospect for Skinner if I thought we could resign him for a similar dollar amount.  

The problem of course is that in 2020 he'd be open to the Seattle draft.  

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We got two firsts and Lehtera for Brayden Schenn who is the same age with less accomplished.  

Of course the major difference is Schenn was already on a friendly contract and Skinner is UFA at the end of next season. 

Yep.  I'm sure it would take a 1st +, but I'm not sure I want to be the one paying that.

I'm not sure I don't either, to be honest. I'm just not sure it's warranted in Skinner's case.  The funny thing about your bringing up Schenn is that I almost did it myself in the context of "hot and disappear."   I didn't even think in terms of what was traded for him vs. what Skinner should probably get.  I actually think they're great for comparative purposes, both results-wise and what they get in a trade.

But I have to say, there's no way in a million years I would have done Doug Armstrong's side of the Brayden Schenn trade (even acknowledging that one of the 1st round picks was for taking Lehtera--or at least a portion of it).   So, there's no way I'd do similar for Skinner.

MAYBE:   "We'll give you a 1st and Lehtera for Skinner."

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yep.  I'm sure it would take a 1st +, but I'm not sure I want to be the one paying that.

I'm not sure I don't either, to be honest. I'm just not sure it's warranted in Skinner's case.  The funny thing about your bringing up Schenn is that I almost did it myself in the context of "hot and disappear."   I didn't even think in terms of what was traded for him vs. what Skinner should probably get.  I actually think they're great for comparative purposes, both results-wise and what they get in a trade.

But I have to say, there's no way in a million years I would have done Doug Armstrong's side of the Brayden Schenn trade (even acknowledging that one of the 1st round picks was for taking Lehtera--or at least a portion of it).   So, there's no way I'd do similar for Skinner.

MAYBE:   "We'll give you a 1st and Lehtera for Skinner."

Yeah I agree.  I think Hextall probably agrees about Schenn too.  As much trouble as they had fitting him into the lineup, I don't think Hextall had any real intention of trading him.  But winning the 2nd overall and having the Blues call up with that ridiculous offer is kind of a no brainer.  Literally an offer he couldn't refuse with the 2nd overall reducing the risk even further.  

The major differences between Schenn and Skinner as I see it Skinner's definitely more of a play driver.  His negative plus minus in relation to his positive Corsi and Fenwick suggest bad defense/goaltending more than irresponsible two way play on his part.  

Schenn on the other hand was negative +/- and an average to negative Corsi/Fenwick which matches the eye test of seeing that at even strength at least, he was about as bad as his defense/goalies and wasn't doing them any favors.  

HHHmmmmmm since we are discussing Skinner i would kick the tires on Justin Faulk they are looking to move him and he shouldn't cost a lot he is a right hand shot and is just 26.

He is just one year removed from scoring 17 goals.

Preceded by years of 16 and 15 goals so he can certainly help.

However i would want to move Gudas before doing so.

He is only on the books for the next two years at 4.8 mill per.

Just thinking aloud since i believe Meyers will need more time in the AHL.

I know everyone wants him in the NHL but from what i had been reading he still needs to work on some things that Hak will just bench him for so might as well let him play in the AHL next year at least to start.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:56 AM, OccamsRazor said:

HHHmmmmmm since we are discussing Skinner i would kick the tires on Justin Faulk they are looking to move him and he shouldn't cost a lot he is a right hand shot and is just 26.

He is just one year removed from scoring 17 goals.

Preceded by years of 16 and 15 goals so he can certainly help.

However i would want to move Gudas before doing so.

He is only on the books for the next two years at 4.8 mill per.

Just thinking aloud since i believe Meyers will need more time in the AHL.

I know everyone wants him in the NHL but from what i had been reading he still needs to work on some things that Hak will just bench him for so might as well let him play in the AHL next year at least to start.

A couple of years ago I would have jumped at Faulk. But not now. Maybe he simply just needs a change of scenery, and Carolina would definitely be selling low at this point.  The other nice feature is that he'd be UFA when Seattle drafts. 

The downside is that I really don't think this year was an aberration. The skid for him started the end of the year before. Again, maybe a change of scenery is all he needs. I don't think the second objection is a scenery thing:  he is allergic to defense.  I know that +/- isn't everything, but it's so bad and so worse than the rest of the team that it can't be defended with "goalie." 

The only one worse, ironically, is Skinner--another reason I'm not a fan of Skinner. 

I do think Faulk would be an upgrade on offense from Gudas, but with Ghost, Provorov, and Myers (presuming he can do it on the NHL level), that's really not what I'm looking for at his money. I'd like an upgrade on defense. 

That said, you won't hear me yelling if it were to happen, either. 

If Vorobyev could make the team and maybe steal the 3rd line center job that would give them some good size down the middle.

Couturier 6-3 215

Patrick 6-2 200

Vorobyev 6-2 198

Laughton 6-1 195

That is a pretty good bit of size i think to start with.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, ruxpin said:

The other nice feature is that he'd be UFA when Seattle drafts. 

I think that's actually a downside. He'd need to be under contract for at least another year to be eligible for the expansion draft... unless you meant that as a good thing that we can just let him walk?

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think that's actually a downside. He'd need to be under contract for at least another year to be eligible for the expansion draft... unless you meant that as a good thing that we can just let him walk?

Yeah, to me it's a good thing we don't have to waste a protection on him and he can just walk. For me, there's no downside there. But that's probably because I'm not a huge fan of him and (independently) because I think the short term may be a good thing. 

We could potentially resign him after the draft, but I think they end up paying more that way. 

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ron, please do not bring back Valtteri Filppula

usa_today_10686166.0.jpg

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/6/4/17423012/philadelphia-flyers-in-free-agency-ron-please-do-not-bring-back-valtteri-filppula

Yes....Ron please, please don't!!!!!!

Interesting article.  I can't say that I disagree with any of it.  I was kind of leaning toward "if he will sign for $2.5ish for 1-2 years, he's not the worst option," but I agree with the article that even then he's kind of in the way and may not be worth even that to this team.  Plus, I think Hakstol would end up playing him more than the pay grade and ability would warrant, and he'd be even more in the way.  I agree with the article--and you--that the Flyers should just move on.

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I agree with the article--and you--that the Flyers should just move on.

I am hoping Vorobyev comes to camp motivated and looks so good you have to give him a shot to start the season. 

He is waiver exempt so worst case he needs more seasoning and then go look for another option out there.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am hoping Vorobyev comes to camp motivated and looks so good you have to give him a shot to start the season. 

He is waiver exempt so worst case he needs more seasoning and then go look for another option out there.

Yeah, I really do think that spot is ripe for a kid to take.  I'd like to see Vorobyev get the shot unless another kid outplays him.   I'm suspicious they go outside for that spot, but I really do hope you're right.

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Interesting article.  I can't say that I disagree with any of it.  I was kind of leaning toward "if he will sign for $2.5ish for 1-2 years, he's not the worst option," but I agree with the article that even then he's kind of in the way and may not be worth even that to this team.  Plus, I think Hakstol would end up playing him more than the pay grade and ability would warrant, and he'd be even more in the way.  I agree with the article--and you--that the Flyers should just move on.

Listen, I don't think they should bring Filppula back and they should get rid of Lehterrible.

Me. About two Finns.

Think about that...

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

Listen, I don't think they should bring Filppula back and they should get rid of Lehterrible.

Me. About two Finns.

Think about that...

tenor.gif?itemid=4740219

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers Potential Trade Targets: Forwards

aUL3UAYo?format=jpg&name=600x314

https://www.flyersnation.net/flyers-potential-trade-targets-forwards/

Interesting list.   I think we probably can scratch out Ho-Sang from that list.  I'm guessing this was written before the Islanders' news today.  I could see Snow moving him, but I'm not so sure about Lou.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I personally have no interest in Niederreiter.   Not at the amount or term.  And, really, not at all.  I've never been much of a fan.  

I would kick the tires on Coyle for 3C, actually.  I don't want to pay a lot for him, and I don't want him for RW.  But 3C for two years might not be horrible.

I really love the Hoffman idea, but I don't know what that costs.   I'd part with one of our first rounders and something for him.

Domi is interesting, but I'd stay away from him.  I think a change of scenery might actually work wonders for him, but I don't want to give up what it would take to find out.

I really like Reinhart .  I don't think he's been used right in Buffalo and think he'd do great with a change.  I know he can play the left side, which would be my preference, but he's more natural on RW and C.  I don't think I want him for 3C but would think about 2LW or even 3LW.

What do you think?

41 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'd love Statsny, but I'm afraid he'll command more term and dollars than the Flyers probably should commit to him.

I agree.  He's been a $7M cap hit.   Especially after his run in Winnipeg, do you see that going down at all?  I can't say I see it going up, but I also have a hard time believing it would go down.  And we'd likely be getting him for 3C which may be underutilization in his mind.

But...what do you think of 4 years at $7M cap with decreasing salary ($8.5, $7.5, $6.5, $5.5) and leave him exposed to the expansion draft.  It might be too high for an expansion team, but they'd have to take a serious look--especially if structured as above.  It might end up saving us a dman if Seattle did go for him, and Frost or some other prospect should be ready by then.

Archived