Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

@AJgoal

I just now realized he'll be 33 in December.  Dear Lord, time flies.  I didn't realize he was that old.  4 years may be a mistake. I don't think he would be an attractive expansion pick at 35. Maybe. 

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think 4 years even gets it done. There are several teams (*cough* Canadiens) that are center-hungry and are sure to drive up the price of free agents on the market. Statsny is probably the cream of the market after Tavares, so I'm sure he'll get 5-6 years.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I don't think 4 years even gets it done. There are several teams (*cough* Canadiens) that are center-hungry and are sure to drive up the price of free agents on the market. Statsny is probably the cream of the market after Tavares, so I'm sure he'll get 5-6 years.

Yeah, I realized his age after I posted. Scratch the whole concept for several reasons based on that.  From his standpoint, at 33 if he wants to play for awhile yet, he's foolish if he doesn't go for 5-6 and as much cash as possible. 

I think first thing Ron does is sign Ivan to a 8 year deal (takes him to 30 years old) for somewhere a little higher than what Jacob Slavin signed last summer.

He signed a 7 year 37 mill/5.3 mill deal (starting point).

I think Ivan gets at least 6 mill per.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, ruxpin said:

What do you think?

I think you're spot on really. I'm not very sold on Reinhart, but I wouldn't balk at getting him if the price isn't too high. Mostly I just find he's small and not physical enough to warrant too high of a price tag, especially since our main trading commodity right now is likely Simmonds. Giving up a Simmonds and his presence to get a much softer player -- albeit one who is more highly skilled with the puck --  is a trade-off I'm not sure I like much.

The list also doesn't mention the other related Sam in Sam Bennett. Maybe Calgary hasn't been floating the idea of trading him, but they also haven't used him very well. He's been languishing as a 3C for much of his formative years, with some time on the second line wing. He came into the league at a talent level similar to Reinhart but as a more physical player. Again, if we're losing Simmonds -- which is likely the case in this type of trade -- I kind of like getting Bennett back a bit more. 

Also, the Sabres are going nowhere fast. In that situation, why trade a young gun with solid future potential for an aging if still effective 2nd line winger in Simmonds? I feel like they would be looking for one of our own dmen prospects back as part of a package, and I'm not sure I'm cool with that.

Calgary on the other hand is a better team imo and has more of the parts necessary to make some playoff noise. Simmonds could actually serve them quite well and help them take a decent step forward on many accounts.

17 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not very sold on Reinhart, but I wouldn't balk at getting him if the price isn't too high.

Yeah, I agree with all of your comments on him.   I said this about Domi, but I think it really also applies to Reinhart:  "I think a change of scenery might actually work wonders for him, but I don't want to give up what it would take to find out."

I'm willing to do Domi, Reinhart, or Bennett if the price is manageable.  I'm not selling the farm for any of them, because I have my own question mark prospects coming up that I can figure out for much cheaper.

I'd definitely kick the tires on Bennett, though.  

57 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Calgary on the other hand is a better team imo and has more of the parts necessary to make some playoff noise. Simmonds could actually serve them quite well and help them take a decent step forward on many accounts.

...And it sends Simmonds far, far away.

I don't want to have to play that guy 4-8 times a year.

If the teams  meet in the SCF okay then, but yeah, I'm not keen on trading Simmonds within the conference. I absolutely don't trade him within the division. 

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

I've thought Calgary might be a good trading partner for the Flyers for a while now, based on some comments Treliving made towards the end of the season (http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/francis-treliving-breaks-silence-with-emotional-questions):

I think we’ve got to find a way to be more emotionally engaged. We’ve got to be a harder team to play against."  - Simmonds and Gudas? I read somewhere else where he wanted to make the team more physical.

Treliving points out the team’s inconsistency revolved around the horrific power play, - Simmonds again?

“Some of these things can come from within,” said Treliving, rehashing the fact a massive overhaul is not only unnecessary but improbable given the Flames lack of draft picks this year, amongst other things. - Flyers have an extra first.

21 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I've thought Calgary might be a good trading partner for the Flyers for a while now, based on some comments Treliving made towards the end of the season (http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/francis-treliving-breaks-silence-with-emotional-questions😞

I think we’ve got to find a way to be more emotionally engaged. We’ve got to be a harder team to play against."  - Simmonds and Gudas? I read somewhere else where he wanted to make the team more physical.

Treliving points out the team’s inconsistency revolved around the horrific power play, - Simmonds again?

“Some of these things can come from within,” said Treliving, rehashing the fact a massive overhaul is not only unnecessary but improbable given the Flames lack of draft picks this year, amongst other things. - Flyers have an extra first.

Just who would you target from the Flames?  I don't see them parting with Monahan or Johnny Hockey.  Just curious.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Just who would you target from the Flames?  I don't see them parting with Monahan or Johnny Hockey.  Just curious.

Well, Bennett for one.   Hamilton?  Stone is a less expensive RD (in whom I'm not really interested).   I'm not sure what I think about Jankowski, but not in a trade involving Simmonds.

I'm not in a hurry to trade with the Flames, but they do make sense as a trade partner and those are where I'd start.  Has anyone seen Glenn Gawdin?   Based solely on stats, maybe throw him in.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I'd be aiming for Bennett and change 100%.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Hmm... I hadn't really thought of Gudas. I wonder how that sort of thing shakes out. I feel like Hex would want to make sure he has someone who can step in next year first. We're already going to have one new blueliner with Manning gone. Losing Gudas as well would mean a second spot is up for grabs. I'm not sure we'll see two rookies right out of camp. That's not really Hextall's way.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I've mentioned here before how Gudas without the physicality just isn't an effective player. They need to move him to a team willing to give him more of a leash. Calgary may be that team...

What does Simmonds and Gudas get us in return though? Bennett, a first, and prospect?? Part of me would consider it, and part of me wonders if we could get more for Simmonds in a bidding war. 😕

I don't think Simmonds and Gudas net us both Bennett and Hamilton. I'm not very interested in Hamilton, but he is an established NHLer. I doubt Calgary would send them both our way for Simmonds and Gudas.

FWIW, a few opinions on FA to avoid - Bozak, Grabner, and Tavares.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/HockeyBuzz-Hotstove/Which-forwards-should-teams-avoid-in-free-agency/187/93314

Todd Cordell

I'll go with Michael Grabner. He is a useful middle-6 forward but I don't think he's as good as his goal totals over the last couple years suggest.

From 2009-16, his average shooting percentage at 5v5 was 9.82%. In two years with the Rangers it jumped to an unsustainably high 16.06%. The spike in shooting percentage, coupled with a plethora of empty net goals, have inflated his numbers and made him look like a much better scorer than he actually is. The New Jersey Devils found that out the hard way down the stretch.

Grabner has posted a negative Relative Corsi For% in four consecutive years, his goal scoring numbers will almost certainly dip, and he's on the wrong side of 30. Buying high on him seems like a bad idea.

Trevor Shackles

Tyler Bozak has had a decent career as a 2nd line centre as he's been someone who can put up somewhere close to 50 points per season. However, at the age of 32, his best years are behind him and I think it'd be wise to not overpay him. His previous cap hit was $4.2M, and I bet he'll be asking for at least $5M on a longer term contract. I can easily see him signing for 5 years and $5.5M, and that is going to become an albatross quite quickly. If a team wanted to pay that for the production of the previous five seasons, then sure that's a fine contract. But they're paying for the next five seasons, and he isn't going to be as good. Buyer beware.

James Tanner

The UFA to avoid is John Tavares. He is going to command one of the biggest contracts in NHL history, but the cost of doing so will be too great. While Tavares can be expected to be a great player for years to come, the Steven Stamkos contract already looks bad and it's just two years old. It just doesn't make sense to pay players max money for the back half of their careers. This is why every franchise quality player that finishes their ELC should be signed by their current team for eight years. If you don't go the full eight years, you have to pay for eight years that include at least four years you know you're getting screwed on. Tavares is a great player, but he's a step below Stamkos, and I don't think its worth it to lock so much of your cap room into a guy who you know is going to start declining halfway through the contract. I'd pay him huge on a three year deal, but if the cost is a seven year 10+ like I expect it to be, than there is no value in signing him.

42 minutes ago, brelic said:

James Tanner

The UFA to avoid is John Tavares. He is going to command one of the biggest contracts in NHL history, but the cost of doing so will be too great. While Tavares can be expected to be a great player for years to come, the Steven Stamkos contract already looks bad and it's just two years old. It just doesn't make sense to pay players max money for the back half of their careers. This is why every franchise quality player that finishes their ELC should be signed by their current team for eight years. If you don't go the full eight years, you have to pay for eight years that include at least four years you know you're getting screwed on. Tavares is a great player, but he's a step below Stamkos, and I don't think its worth it to lock so much of your cap room into a guy who you know is going to start declining halfway through the contract. I'd pay him huge on a three year deal, but if the cost is a seven year 10+ like I expect it to be, than there is no value in signing him.

This is pretty much what I've been saying on this subject from the get go.  I really have zero interest in his coming to Philly.

I still would be interested in Grabner because he can play either wing. But i'm only talking about a one year deal.

All that crap aside dude can still sakte and handle the puck which the Flyers could use. Besides Flyers could even use someone who can score an empty net goal. Clod and Jake can't.

Grabner had 3 GWGs last year too...the same as Jake and two more than Clod. And he only averaged 14 minutes a game.

And Grabner doesn't take many penalties so he keeps the team out the box.

Jake took almost time as many PIMs as he did last year.

17 million to spend they have to sign someone. I'd roll the dice on him for one year.

Coming off 2 straight years of 27 goals with 3 different teams.

2016-17 26 even strength goals of 27 1 shortie.

2017-18 25 even strength goals of 27 and 2 shorties.

Sorry but he is worth the roll of the dice....as i said dude brings speed and the Flyers need that.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry but he is worth the roll of the dice....as i said dude brings speed and the Flyers need that.

All this assumes that a) he's willing and wants to sign a one year deal, and b) not one single team has a better offer.

I would definitely take a chance on a one year deal, but I can't imagine a scenario where *he* takes that deal.

Just now, brelic said:

All this assumes that a) he's willing and wants to sign a one year deal, and b) not one single team has a better offer.

I would definitely take a chance on a one year deal, but I can't imagine a scenario where *he* takes that deal.

Well i would start there.

They have a few kids coming in soon and i wouldn't want to block them.

If they could jettison Wiese somehow i would feel better about offering him a two year deal.

And if Simmer is moved i feel better about giving him a 3 year deal. But that would be tops for me due to his age.

I would love for the Flyers to try their best to trade Weal at the draft to.

Maybe a 3rd or at least a 4th back should do it.

Some guys who will get some hard looks next camp/preseason to see if they can help...

Aube Kubel

Dannick Martel

Misha Vorobyev

Mike Vecchione

Tyrell Goulbourne

Along with Myers and Friedman on the blueline.

And Lyon and Stolarz in net.

May the best talent win.

So it would be nice to move Weal or and even the harder move Wiese to clear out room.......

I also don't want to forget Sam i think by next February....i know some have thought he will be the next Pronger or Chara but i don't think that is where Sam's game will ever get and i'm fine with that.

The main reason his game will help the Flyers and what they lack....but here is the guy who will be compared to where Sam's game will get and be needed....

..this is the type of defenseman the Flyers lack and will need to make a deep playoff run. So no way am i giving up on this kid.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I still would be interested in Grabner because he can play either wing. But i'm only talking about a one year deal.

My problem with Grabner is that at 31, if he's stupid enough to take a one-year deal, then I really think he's too stupid for my team.  He should try the Cavaliers.  

Honestly, I'm okay with him for a year, but really, at 31 he should be trying for a 3-4.  In this league, he's going to really start having to fight for a place at 32 or higher.  He's shown he's capable of putting some pucks in the net (his overall point production sucks) and I don't think he's a disaster defensively, so I'd agree to a year but definitely no more than two.  And man, he may cost next to nothing, so I'd at least kick the tires.   He was on a 1-year "show me" and I don't think he did.

EDIT:  I know I kind of contradicted myself toward the end there.  Read it as a stream of consciousness as I was looking at salary, etc., as I typed.    He may actually do a year since he just did and I don't think accomplished what he'd hoped.

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

(his overall point production sucks)

This is don't care about. He will be expected to score. Flyers already have enough passers. They need guys who can find the twine.

And first for the 3-4 year deal there has to be the demand first. Paired with how long he is willing to wait.

Archived