Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yea, I saw that.  That's some pretty nasty stuff there from what I've read.  Why do people have to be so mean????

38 minutes ago, brelic said:

Nah that isn't that big a deal if he is truly interested. Folks have been hacked before. And it isn't even a big legal issue.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nah that isn't that big a deal if he is truly interested. Folks have been hacked before. And it isn't even a big legal issue.

I guess that's what they're trying to figure out... if she was indeed hacked. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

I guess that's what they're trying to figure out... if she was indeed hacked. 

Well i hope so because otherwise that is some sick sh!t to do to someone and their unborn child...even crazier that it is a teammate.

And if it is true i would want that in no way a part of my favorite club.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't believe for a second that anyone was hacked.  I also have a feeling that Hoffman believes he's telling the truth.  I think his girlfriend is feeding him a line of crap.   

I think when we unmask Monika Caryk we'll find out she's actually Barbara Bottini in disguise.  

Just now, ruxpin said:

I don't believe for a second that anyone was hacked.  I also have a feeling that Hoffman believes he's telling the truth.  I think his girlfriend is feeding him a line of crap.   

I think when we unmask Monika Caryk we'll find out it's actually Barbara Bottini in disguise.  

Exactly. When you're close teammates, that kind of stuff doesn't just escalate to over 1000 messages before you address it and figure out what's happening. If she had nothing to do with it, it would have been settled a long time ago and they'd all be working together to figure it out. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

I think when we unmask Monika Caryk we'll find out it's actually Barbara Bottini in disguise.  

Well as i typed just before your post. If it is true i don't want that stank on my Flyers...that is disgusting if true and it would make me not want Hoffman on the Flyers at all....scum of the earth wishes bad stuff on innocent children.

Just now, brelic said:

Exactly. When you're close teammates, that kind of stuff doesn't just escalate to over 1000 messages before you address it and figure out what's happening. If she had nothing to do with it, it would have been settled a long time ago and they'd all be working together to figure it out. 

Yeah, that's just some sick crap right there.   I was playing with the Sixers' reference, but I really don't buy for a second that the account was hacked or anything.   I think there's some offline interaction to support the allegation and it's quite possible Mike Hoffman is really not aware--I don't know that that's likely, but I want to believe it's possible.   

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well as i typed just before your post. If it is true i don't want that stank on my Flyers...that is disgusting if true and it would make me not want Hoffman on the Flyers at all....scum of the earth wishes bad stuff on innocent children.

Yeah.  And honestly, even on a pregnant woman.  

Someone on the Flyers in the not-so-distant past had the same unfortunate loss that the Karlsson's had.   I now kind of understand why it was kept so under wraps.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, that's just some sick crap right there.   I was playing with the Sixers' reference, but I really don't buy for a second that the account was hacked or anything.   I think there's some offline interaction to support the allegation and it's quite possible Mike Hoffman is really not aware--I don't know that that's likely, but I want to believe it's possible.   

Well i am trying to give them the benefit of doubt that they are innocent till proven guilty. However if proven to be true.

I rescind my offer to get him on the Flyers no way do i want that crap in this organization tell him to stay in Canada.

America has enough garbage they don't need anymore!!!!!

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Well i am trying to give them the benefit of doubt that they are innocent till proven guilty. However if proven to be true.

I rescind my offer to get him on the Flyers no way do i want that crap in this organization tell him to stay in Canada.

America has enough garbage they don't need anymore!!!!!

Oh, I understand.  I think you're coming from a pretty level-headed place on this; both on the bolded and also with the "if true."

I completely agree on both counts, but I personally am coming at this from a "this smells bad" angle so I'm probably violating the bolded a bit.   

You said something earlier that I think is very true:   "it isn't even a big legal issue."  Yeah, this is more and image/public opinion thing.   There may be misdemeanor harassment (I don't think they have "misdemeanor" in Canada. I think they call it something else.  @brelic?).   But I don't think that actually gets pursued beyond the restraining order.  If it's like the US, the PFA is a pretty low bar; it'll just give Bonie...er...Monika a "knock it off, this is serious" wakeup call.

Oh, I understand.  I think you're coming from a pretty level-headed place on this; both on the bolded and also with the "if true."

I completely agree on both counts, but I personally am coming at this from a "this smells bad" angle so I'm probably violating the bolded a bit.   

You said something earlier that I think is very true:   "it isn't even a big legal issue."  Yeah, this is more and image/public opinion thing.   There may be misdemeanor harassment (I don't think they have "misdemeanor" in Canada. I think they call it something else.  @brelic?).   But I don't think that actually gets pursued beyond the restraining order.  If it's like the US, the PFA is a pretty low bar; it'll just give Bonie...er...Monika a "knock it off, this is serious" wakeup call.

IIRC, our criminal code distinguishes between indictable and non-indictable offenses.

The peace bond is probably what you Americans refer to as a restraining order. It is part of criminal law and can be issued as protection against anyone. ROs are provincial civil law, and must have a family connection.

Sadly, this is information I should not know, but I do. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Bill M take on it and i agree with...

1) As a rule of thumb, I avoid discussing topics related to players' personal lives except if it directly affects a team on the ice. I have no idea what to make of the story that's now gone public in Ottawa about Mike Hoffman's fiancee serially harassing Erik Karlsson's wife online, as well as Karlsson himself. It's a very strange, and very ugly story if true. Hoffman is standing by his fiancee, Monika Caryk in insisting than neither she nor he have anything to do with a series of insulting, derogatory and rumor-mongering online posts alleged to have posted from numerous accounts created by Caryk. 

Again, I have no way of knowing what, and how much, is true. However, I do know this in light of the widespread reports that one or both of Hoffman and Karlsson are likely to be traded this offseason. An NHL team would be foolish to trade for Hoffman right now while all this drama is going on. No team wants to invite a situation like this into its locker room, at least not without all the facts and most certainly not at the reportedly high asking price for the 28-year-old forward. 

Guilt by association? Perhaps. Nevertheless, it's a big distraction that no team can afford. Even if he is traded, the daily questions to and about Hoffman won't be about his fit on his new team and with potential linemates but about the circumstances in Ottawa that hastened his departure apart from Ottawa rebuilding. It's a mess.

18 minutes ago, brelic said:

Sadly, this is information I should not know, but I do. 

Sorry to hear that.    There's sadly a reason I'm quite familiar with it in Pennsylvania.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bill M take on it and i agree with...

1) As a rule of thumb, I avoid discussing topics related to players' personal lives except if it directly affects a team on the ice. I have no idea what to make of the story that's now gone public in Ottawa about Mike Hoffman's fiancee serially harassing Erik Karlsson's wife online, as well as Karlsson himself. It's a very strange, and very ugly story if true. Hoffman is standing by his fiancee, Monika Caryk in insisting than neither she nor he have anything to do with a series of insulting, derogatory and rumor-mongering online posts alleged to have posted from numerous accounts created by Caryk. 

Again, I have no way of knowing what, and how much, is true. However, I do know this in light of the widespread reports that one or both of Hoffman and Karlsson are likely to be traded this offseason. An NHL team would be foolish to trade for Hoffman right now while all this drama is going on. No team wants to invite a situation like this into its locker room, at least not without all the facts and most certainly not at the reportedly high asking price for the 28-year-old forward. 

Guilt by association? Perhaps. Nevertheless, it's a big distraction that no team can afford. Even if he is traded, the daily questions to and about Hoffman won't be about his fit on his new team and with potential linemates but about the circumstances in Ottawa that hastened his departure apart from Ottawa rebuilding. It's a mess.

That terrifically sums  up the whole thing.  I completely agree with all of it.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

That terrifically sums  up the whole thing.  I completely agree with all of it.

It really doesn't look good for Hoffman and his fiancee.

26 minutes ago, brelic said:

It really doesn't look good for Hoffman and his fiancee.

Yikes. This is (not just) starting to sound a lot worse. With other spouses chiming in, it sounds a lot less likely this is a hacked account issue. Sad situation. 

Yikes. This is (not just) starting to sound a lot worse. With other spouses chiming in, it sounds a lot less likely this is a hacked account issue. Sad situation. 

If it is in fact her, she's a pretty vile human being. She needs help. A lot of help. 

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Sounds like Hoffman will be KHL bound, hope his girlfriend likes the cold....

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds like Hoffman will be KHL bound, hope his girlfriend likes the cold....

Yeah, I'm really trying to heed your wise "don't jump to conclusions" thing (not your words), but it's really getting hard. 

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

hope his girlfriend likes the cold

Dobro pozhalovat' v KKHL, vy tyanete tryuk tryuka, kak zdes', v Rossii, i my otpravim vas v russkiy gulag v Sibiri i bol'she nikogda ne uslyshim.

EDIT ... (Translation)

Welcome to the the KHL, you pull a twitter stunt like that here in Russia and we will send you to a Russian gulag in Siberia and never be heard from again. 

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'm really trying to heed your wise "don't jump to conclusions" thing (not your words), but it's really getting hard. 

I'm right there with you.

Gawd we're such hypocrites I hate us!

I'm reporting us both!

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hey this is Eklund so take it for what it's worth...

On Mike Hoffman...

A short while back I wrote how I couldn't understand why the Sens were so anxious to move him...now we have an idea as to why... Listen, it would be unfair to judge here right now, and Hoffman's girlfriend may be innocent, but perception right now is very tricky...in the NHL Hoffman's name isn't very good right now and many are saying he may have to move on from his girlfriend or have a tough time playing in the league...He will be traded soon however...

Okay, I'm perfectly sober, so I'll acknowledge right off the top that this is well past the "Welcome to Nutsville" sign.

There are rumors out of Dallas that Tyler Seguin is being put up for Tribute.   I think we'd have to slide him back to RW or he'd become the best 3C in the league (or Coots slides back to 3C).   He's only 26 but the rub is that he only has one year left on his current contract.   

For the sake of full disclosure, the guy is one of my favorite players in the league.

What would it take realistically and is it something that wouldn't gut the team?

#14, Simmonds, and Hagg (or Sanheim, Morin, or Myers)?   Does that do it?

#14, #19, Konecny?     Does this need a defenseman not named Ghost or Provorov added?  (Provorov and probably Ghost end the conversation for me).

Archived