Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, if they want him, I think that's where he stays. Odd he isn't signed yet if that's the case, though. 

So I seen this the other day and it slipped my mind and well I'm at work at it hit me.

I seen where the Canes might be trying to move Victor Rask.

I must say at his age that kind of tweaks my interest.

Sure he doesn't have stats that blow you away but he is a good skater and has good size.

However I can't say I know a lot about him.

So I wonder if he could slot into the 3rd line spot.

I can't see capfriendly to look at his contract at work here.

Not sure why I get not being able to do Facebook, Twitter, pinterest and Instagram at work can't figure why I can't look at capfriendly.

Color me baffled.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, if they want him, I think that's where he stays. Odd he isn't signed yet if that's the case, though. 

Found this....

While the Winnipeg Jets are coming off an exemplary season in which it reached the Western Conference Finals with a young, talented team, now comes the hard part. The team is full of key restricted free agents which could start taking up what was once an ample amount of cap space. The team has already all but said they don’t intend to re-sign trade deadline acquisition Paul Stastnyand for good reason. The team must lock up a number of key players, including all-star goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, Adam Lowry, Joel Armia, Marko Dano, Tucker Poolman, Josh Morrissey, Joseph Morrow, and oh, Jacob Trouba

https://www.yardbarker.com/mobile/content/article/s1_14825_26643683

I'm torn on RNH honestly.

On the one hand, Couts/Patrick/RNH gives us what should be the best center trio we've had in a very long time, and it does fill one of our most pressing needs.

On the other hand, what would it cost to get him? Probably Simmonds. That could be a good trade really, except it effectively makes us less deep on the RW. In fact, it essentially takes away the 3RW whatever center we get should be playing with in the first place.

Do we have replacement 3RWs? It would have to come from the farm, and it's entirely possible we do. If so, then it may very well be worth a shot. 

By the same token, do we have replacement 3Cs on the farm? Honestly, I'm thinking the current answer is probably not. Sure, we do have some who deserve NHL time to see if they fit somewhere in the line up, but I'm really not sure any of them have proven they can play 3C in today's NHL. I'd much rather see the Vecchiones, Vorobyevs, and Rubstovs of the world get some 4th line action in first to see what we've got. Jordan Weal is a perfect example of never knowing what you really have until they see some NHL action. 

Given the importance of the center position, I would honestly prefer bringing in an RNH or even a Statsny before grabbing someone of the farm for the job. We need to be three lines deep to win nowadays. RNH is a significantly safer bet imo.

Moreover, in RNH we have someone who at 25 has never lived up to the hype. That's not say he's been bad by any measure. He has 40-50 pt seasons on average, which is definitely NHL caliber and would be pretty great for a 3C actually. Having spent all his time in the worst franchise for talent development in NHL history, it's entirely possible he could be better than advertised.

Or maybe he isn't. Maybe he was overhyped and 40-50 is the best he can get. On a 3rd line with more limited ice time, maybe he only hits 30. It would be a gamble, though not a bad one really.

The main reason I say I'm iffy about it is not so much because of the return. We do need a 3C, and RNH would be a solid choice imo. The challenge for me is that RNH doesn't wear pads. I have a hard time considering trade possibilities that include our best trade chip (Simmonds) for a player that doesn't address our substantially bigger problem in goal. 

Is RNH a better choice than Stastny? Yeah, I think so. But Stastny would be fine too. It would give us time to see what we have in the current farm crop (not to mention Frost).

At the same time, NOT upgrading our goalie tandem means we have less than zero chance of going anywhere. Stastny over RNH won't cost us nearly as many games as Elliott/Neuvy will.

Is there some deal to be made to get a better goalie on the team? If so, there's a pretty good chance it would require Simmonds going the other way. I'm hesitant to trade Simmer so early without at least trying to address the bigger problem first.

Of course, goalies are a tougher commodity to get. It's entirely possible Simmonds can't in fact get us any such goalie. At which point, is it better to settle for our 2nd most pressing need? Sure, I think so.

While we're on the goalie topic, I can't be the only one reluctant to put all my eggs in the Hart basket. Personally, I'm fine with picking up a goalie who can stick around for 3-4 years or even 4-5 years. Hart's not going anywhere. I'd much rather he be developed properly without the pressure of having to break the big league as soon as humanly possible. He's really just a kid. As good as he has been, labeling him as the franchise saviour seems like a generally bad idea to me -- both for him and for us.

In the end, I would be fine with a swap for RNH that involves Simmonds. I could understand the rationale, and I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out. We'd still be a bubble team at best given our stoppers, but you can't get everything at once. Given how I have no reasonable suggestion for a trade involving a solid goalie, it may be the best option available to us.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Do we have replacement 3RWs? It would have to come from the farm, and it's entirely possible we do. If so, then it may very well be worth a shot. 

We do have RW on the farm. They fill the slot, but I don't know that you get Simmonds' typical production, at least not out of the gate. Then you throw in leadership, toughness, and power play and you probably need to replace all that with multiple people. 

Allison may be ready and Aube Kubel. I think the latter is currently slated for 4RW, but that's probably under the assumption that Simmonds is blocking 3RW.  Again, though, you're not replacing the package.  But in theory, some of that is replaced by the (hopeful) improvement at 3C.  There are some others, too, but that's likely where they start.  

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Is there some deal to be made to get a better goalie on the team? If so, there's a pretty good chance it would require Simmonds going the other way. I'm hesitant to trade Simmer so early without at least trying to address the bigger problem first.

Of course, goalies are a tougher commodity to get. It's entirely possible Simmonds can't in fact get us any such goalie. At which point, is it better to settle for our 2nd most pressing need? Sure, I think so.

Yeah, that's the top priority on my list, too, but I think we may be stuck with going for the 2nd priority. 

I don't know if Simmonds gets you the goalie you want. Maybe in a package.  There may be something out there, but that creativity is above my pay grade. 

I really think 3-4 may be too long if they think Hart plus Sandstrom (or Stolarz or Lyon) gets them their tandem.  I don't think a 30-something with a 4 year duration that comes with the understanding that they will give up starter role in a year or two is a horrible idea. And if they perform well but Hart does take the crease, then goalie X becomes a trade option in a tight market. 

I kick the tires on that, but I suspect that's not the game plan. 

Here's the thing, though:  if Hakstol is going to run any goalie into the ground like he has pretty much since he's been here, then it might not matter who we get.  Elliott would be sufficient for our current needs *provided* there is a competent and healthy alternative so he stays to 40-50 games.  And not 12 in a row. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Here's the thing, though:  if Hakstol is going to run any goalie into the ground like he has pretty much since he's been here, then it might not matter who we get.  Elliott would be sufficient for our current needs *provided* there is a competent and healthy alternative so he stays to 40-50 games.  And not 12 in a row. 

And just like that, we get: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/trotz-resigns-as-coach-of-stanley-cup-winning-capitals-1.4711246

I've never meant #GetHexyOnThePhone more forcefully than I do right now.

He won't do it of course. Hakstol's very clearly his boy. But man... if only.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:
I agree...

Yes please bring some shooters in....please....enough with the hot potato system!!!!

This is the crux of why I don't want Veleno.  He seems like a smart guy and a responsible 200 ft guy.  He comes across to me as more of the same:  a pass first guy. And I don't know where I'd put him.  I'd really like some shoot first (or playmakers with a good shot) wingers. 

21 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Hoffman to the Sharks for a bag of pucks. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-trade-hoffman-sharks-package-including-boedker/

I guess that settles that issue. Also, I hope no one's picking the Sens as a surprise upset team in 2018-19...

That news broke for me in the chatbox.  That trade is astonishing to me. I don't think the Sharks paid for Hoffman what any of us thought it would take.   Have to think the social media thing really diminished his sale price.  Not that Boedker is a bad player, but good lord. 

Yeah, that settles that and lol @surprise upset team. 

41 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Hoffman to the Sharks for a bag of pucks. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-trade-hoffman-sharks-package-including-boedker/

I guess that settles that issue. Also, I hope no one's picking the Sens as a surprise upset team in 2018-19...

On the other hand, the people on the TSN Facebook post on this trade almost unanimously think this was a horrible trade for Ottawa. So, I'm starting to think I'm wrong and that it's a great deal for the Sens (I'm kidding but amazed Facebook is getting it right). 

Alright, so here are my honest and realistic suggestions for off-season moves (as well as a third and completely unrealistic one because yep).

1. PHI trades MacDonald with 40% retained salary to WSH for the rights to RFA Grubauer

2. PHI trades Simmonds to EDM for Nugent-Hopkins

3. Hakstol is demoted to assistant coach, replaced immediately by Barry Trots.

That leaves 13 million in cap space, which is fine. We have so many kiddos who will be needing raises. As much as I would love to have Carlson on the roster, I don't think it would be prudent to offer a big contract right now.

Bring up Morin and Myers to replace Manning and now MacDonald. Drop Neuvirth to the Phantoms, and start giving long looks to the standout kids on the farm to fill in the bottom six.

Your 2018-19 Flyers:

Giroux / Couts / TK

Lindblom / Patrick / Voracek

Raffl / RNH / ???

Weal / Laughton / Weise

Lehtera

Provo / Ghost

Sanheim / Morin

Myers / Gudas

Elliott / Grubauer

Is that a contender? No, it's not. That bottom six is still too weak for one, and the blue line is all kinds of green. But it's another step forward I think for this year, and it wouldn't be crippling us for future salary needs.

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That news broke for me in the chatbox.  That trade is astonishing to me. I don't think the Sharks paid for Hoffman what any of us thought it would take.   Have to think the social media thing really diminished his sale price.  Not that Boedker is a bad player, but good lord. 

Yeah, that settles that and lol @surprise upset team. 

I think they had to take whatever they could if they were intent on moving Karlsson. Now they don't have to move him out, even though they will.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

On the other hand, the people on the TSN Facebook post on this trade almost unanimously think this was a horrible trade for Ottawa. So, I'm starting to think I'm wrong and that it's a great deal for the Sens (I'm kidding but amazed Facebook is getting it right). 

And now San Jose flips him to Florida for three picks. 

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Holy crap.  I'm getting all my news on this site today!

It's arguable that San Jose actually got better value for Hoffman than Ottawa did.  Still not what he should have gotten a few months ago.  His stock is falling faster than Sears Holdings.

21 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Report indicate that his girlfriend had already been on instagram and threatened to beat up Joe Pavalski, to shave Burn's beard, to kick Couture's dog, and to give DeBoer a noogie.

How long until Florida trades his rights to Amur for half a set of used Matryoshka dolls?

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Holy crap.  I'm getting all my news on this site today!

It's arguable that San Jose actually got better value for Hoffman than Ottawa did.  Still not what he should have gotten a few months ago.  His stock is falling faster than Sears Holdings.

Yeah. Tallon said he didn't offer that much to Dorian. Charlie O'Connor posited that maybe teams are lowballing Dorian because they feel he attempted to trade Hoffman in bad faith at the deadline, since it's come out that the team knew about the issues then.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah. Tallon said he didn't offer that much to Dorian. Charlie O'Connor posited that maybe teams are lowballing Dorian because they feel he attempted to trade Hoffman in bad faith at the deadline, since it's come out that the team knew about the issues then.

Exactly. It seems like the team knew about the clusterf**k that was happening behind the scenes. That organization is a steaming pile of poo and it starts at the very top. 

22 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

One year left at 6 mil. Probably too rich on a next contract to consider giving up premium assets for.

Really interesting.

I do like the Breadman. He is a clutch scorer.

Damnit I'll have comment when I get home.

I said I wasn't going to look at this while at the gym but I was waiting on a squat rack.

Ok no more commenting....

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really interesting.

I do like the Breadman. He is a clutch scorer.

Damnit I'll have comment when I get home.

I said I wasn't going to look at this while at the gym but I was waiting on a squat rack.

Ok no more commenting....

Please tell me it wasn't someone doing curls in the squat rack lol.

People used to complain about that all the time on Reddit, and I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. 

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

Please tell me it wasn't someone doing curls in the squat rack lol.

People used to complain about that all the time on Reddit, and I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. 

No this clown...

Image result for funny gym gifs

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

One year left at 6 mil. Probably too rich on a next contract to consider giving up premium assets for.

That's something I would at least kick the tires on.

Both #14 & #19 and Simmonds for Panarin,  Bobrovsky and their 2nd.

No, I'm not really serious, but let's start there.  LOL

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I wonder how much it would cost in a trade. Hard to judge value given he'll be a UFA. 

Simmonds and a pick? Seems steep for a guy who may just as easily choose not to sign here either. I feel like Hex would have to have a deal for him right out of the box to reduce risk.

I have to ask though, Columbus is in a pretty good spot right now. What exactly does he want that he feels he won't get there? Whatever it is, I'm not sure he'd consider Philly an upgrade.

Giroux / Couts / TK

Panarin / Patrick / Voracek

Barnac.

Archived