Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I wonder how much it would cost in a trade. Hard to judge value given he'll be a UFA. 

Simmonds and a pick? Seems steep for a guy who may just as easily choose not to sign here either...

Giroux / Couts / TK

Panarin / Patrick / Voracek

Barnac.

Damn those top two lines look good, though, don't they? 

I don't know. I agree that involving Simmonds seems silly. If you're trading Simmonds, you gotta think you can get something a little more beneficial long term.   I guess it's not gonna happen, but that's an enticing top two lines

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know. I agree that involving Simmonds seems silly. If you're trading Simmonds, you gotta think you can get something a little more beneficial long term.   I guess it's not gonna happen, but that's an enticing top two lines

I wonder who the teams Simmer won't go too??

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I think Simmonds for Panarin is great if we can get him to stay for a decent term. He's only 26, and we've got space. We also do need wingers.

I'm just honestly wondering why he'd want out of Columbus. If he wants to play for a team with a stronger chance to contend, I'm not sure Philly fits the bill.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

That's something I would at least kick the tires on.

Both #14 & #19 and Simmonds for Panarin,  Bobrovsky and their 2nd.

No, I'm not really serious, but let's start there.  LOL

I'm not parting with both firsts for an expiring UFA.

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm not parting with both firsts for an expiring UFA.

That's why I threw in Bobovsky, who i think is also expiring, though. Really, if it helps, it would amount to Simmonds for Panarin and then 2 firsts for Bob and 2nd.  Still a little lopsided, I think. 

But like I said, really wasn't serious.  I don't really like the trade involving Simmonds if it's just Panarin. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I think Simmonds for Panarin is great if we can get him to stay for a decent term. He's only 26, and we've got space. We also do need wingers.

I'm just honestly wondering why he'd want out of Columbus. If he wants to play for a team with a stronger chance to contend, I'm not sure Philly fits the bill.

No idea. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I don't think he was happy with the trade that sent him there. And really, I don't know if he's the right fit. Neither Atkinson nor Wennberg were the same this year and I wonder if the Saad/Panarin switch wasn't part of that.  If Panarin wasn't happy about going there to begin with, maybe that also contributed to the line not being better and may be the reason he wants to move.  Maybe he hates Buckeyes, they're apparently big in Columbus. 

I don't know. Just throwing out guesses. Maybe Letestu's wife was mean on Facebook to his girlfriend.  

I think I'd look into it, but not what it would take or if I'd like the answer. 

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But like I said, really wasn't serious.  I don't really like the trade involving Simmonds if it's just Panarin. 

Really? I'd swap Simmonds for Panarin straight up in a heartbeat, assuming you could sign him out of the gate - and I love Simmonds. I don't relish playing Simmonds 4-5 times a season, but Panarin is 5 years younger, and is a much purer scorer at a position of need. It doesn't fix your bottom 6, but it gives you an extra option. You can roll either:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Panarin - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - XXX - XXX

or

Panarin - Giroux - Konecny

Lindblom - Couturier - Voracek

XXX - Patrick - XXX

The second option is stronger down the middle than the Flyers probably can do in free agency, and I feel center play is much more important than play on the wing. There are some intriguing LW FA options that would fit a more skilled third line on a short term. The bonus is, when Frost or whomever is ready to take over the 3rd line center, you can go back to the first lineup and it could be truly frightening.

EDIT: I just realized I misread that. I didn't think you would do 14+19+Simmonds for just Panarin, I just wouldn't do 14+19 for him, either, considering the deal he'll likely want.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I just realized I misread that. I didn't think you would do 14+19+Simmonds for just Panarin, I just wouldn't do 14+19 for him, either, considering the deal he'll likely want.

Yeah, that's the way I meant it, but I'm a little hesitant even straight up.  Mine is more long-term cap concern than anything else.  That may not be a deal-breaker, though.   He'll be 27 before any new contract starts.   Panarin is currently a $6M cap hit and I don't see that going down.  I didn't think he had as strong a year as previously, but I just looked at his stats and that really isn't true, is it?     So, what do you think he gets?  $7m?   Clearly, he's a proven point-getter, so I guess that's fine.  $7M, 5 years?  Do you think he'd insist on longer?  My concern is the 3rd year from now when $23M is tied up with Giroux, Voracek, and Panarin and we need to pay Provorov, Patrick, Sanheim and Konecny.  McDonald is off by the third year, so maybe we're fine there.

Hockeywise, a 30 year old 60-point 3RW where we're currently 3 lines deep for a 26 year old 75-85 pt. left-winger where we're only a converted-center deep (yes, radoran, I know), I think that's probably a no-brainer.   We do have RWers coming that should be good in the bottom six role.  So, yes, I do it, Regis. Final answer.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

The second option is stronger down the middle than the Flyers probably can do in free agency, and I feel center play is much more important than play on the wing. T

Sorry to double post.  I forgot about this.   I think I keep Giroux at wing.   He got really good at faceoffs, but otherwise I think that's where he really should have been all along.

I really like the look of the top two lines:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Panarin - Patrick - Voracek

We'll have to float with something at 3C this year and possibly next, but there should still be cap room in that time frame to work it.

But eventually, maybe even 2019-20, you're looking at a potential third line of

Ratcliffe -- Frost -- Allison  (Kravstov if we're lucky!!!)

And Twarynski should really get a look on LW next year if not this year.  Maybe Strome eventually if he ever learns to skate.

Yeah, make the call.

I don't think there's any deal for Panarin unless Hextall gets to talk contract first. Even then, I'm hesitant because Panarin is going to cost. I know this might sound out there, but I'd rather the Flyers deal for Jeff Skinner. I think he fits that second line left wing spot well and with Patrick and Voracek, he might just end up being a point per game player. Plus, the cost wouldn't be as high with Skinner as it would with Panarin. 

56 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think there's any deal for Panarin unless Hextall gets to talk contract first. Even then, I'm hesitant because Panarin is going to cost. I know this might sound out there, but I'd rather the Flyers deal for Jeff Skinner. I think he fits that second line left wing spot well and with Patrick and Voracek, he might just end up being a point per game player. Plus, the cost wouldn't be as high with Skinner as it would with Panarin. 

Nor the return.   Panarin is already a point per game and we're only hoping Skinner will be despite being in the league 8 years and not coming close (my God, has it been that long already?).   Your bolded, though, is pertinent.

I'm with you that I highly doubt anything with Panarin.   I also agree that the cost, both in terms of assets in trade and in cap on a new deal, makes me more than hesitant.   If it's me, I want to see what it would actually take rather than reading on Twitter afterward that I could have had him for Raffl and a 2nd (deliberate hyperbole, but the point is I want to know before finding out via a trade with someone else that it was well-less than I thought).    

Skinner is intriguing to me and I agree he's a little better-suited to the 2nd line than Panarin might be.  And honestly, while he's not the point producer Panarin is, he's pretty similar in goals.  And I just got done saying I want a winger that can score.  Maybe he increases some with better linemates and a fresh start.   If it doesn't take much in a trade, I'm onboard, and I agree he should be less than Panarin.

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Nor the return.   Panarin is already a point per game and we're only hoping Skinner will be despite being in the league 8 years and not coming close (my God, has it been that long already?).   Your bolded, though, is pertinent.

I'm with you that I highly doubt anything with Panarin.   I also agree that the cost, both in terms of assets in trade and in cap on a new deal, makes me more than hesitant.   If it's me, I want to see what it would actually take rather than reading on Twitter afterward that I could have had him for Raffl and a 2nd (deliberate hyperbole, but the point is I want to know before finding out via a trade with someone else that it was well-less than I thought).    

Skinner is intriguing to me and I agree he's a little better-suited to the 2nd line than Panarin might be.  And honestly, while he's not the point producer Panarin is, he's pretty similar in goals.  And I just got done saying I want a winger that can score.  Maybe he increases some with better linemates and a fresh start.   If it doesn't take much in a trade, I'm onboard, and I agree he should be less than Panarin.

So what would Skinner cost I wonder.

I would love to at least flip them Gudas in the deal....but whatelse?

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Definitely a contract discussion would need to happen. In fact, he should agree to sign an extension right this year to prevent anything unfortunate from happening. 

Panarin is elite good. He’d instantly make our second line as good as most top lines in the league. 

Skinner, while not horrible, is really not in the same ball park. He’d be a consolation prize at best in this comparison. I’m also not sure he’s much better than what Lindblom might become at that position. 

If Hex could somehow swing a Panarin for Simmonds+ deal that essentially guaranteed Panarin would sign an extension, i’d be interested for sure.

As far as salary and term go, he clearly wouldn’t be offered more than The VeeGees. Would he sign for seven over five years? I think that would be worth a shot. We have the space and will be rid of more bad contracts by the time the kids need a raise. 

Again though, I have to question his reason for wanting out of Columbus. As it stands, Columbus should make the playoffs next year and could make some noise once there. The Flyers are most likely going to push the bubble again at best unless Hex can find a goalie somewhere. It would be a lateral move at best if contention is what he wants. There are many worst places to be than Columbus right now. 

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Definitely a contract discussion would need to happen. In fact, he should agree to sign an extension right this year to prevent anything unfortunate from happening. 

Panarin is elite good. He’d instantly make our second line as good as most top lines in the league. 

Skinner, while not horrible, is really not in the same ball park. He’d be a consolation prize at best in this comparison. I’m also not sure he’s much better than what Lindblom might become at that position. 

If Hex could somehow swing a Panarin for Simmonds+ deal that essentially guaranteed Panarin would sign an extension, i’d be interested for sure.

As far as salary and term go, he clearly wouldn’t be offered more than The VeeGees. Would he sign for seven over five years? I think that would be worth a shot. We have the space and will be rid of more bad contracts by the time the kids need a raise. 

You ain't getting the Breadman. Jarmo has already come out and said they ain't trading him and plenty of time to work out a deal.

But if he is to be moved it won't be till the trade deadline I think.

Then it will take a King's ransome...

...Skinner is much more affordable.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You ain't getting the Breadman. Jarmo has already come out and said they ain't trading him and plenty of time to work out a deal.

But if he is to be moved it won't be till the trade deadline I think.

Then it will take a King's ransome...

...Skinner is much more affordable.

You’re probably right. I’m still not very interested in Skinner though. Simmonds for him would be an overpayment, and I don’t imagine Carolina wants Gudas. Not that he’s a bad player, it just doesn’t feel like a fit right now. 

Let Lindblom ride shotgun for Patrick for the season and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, elmatus said:

You’re probably right. I’m still not very interested in Skinner though. Simmonds for him would be an overpayment, and I don’t imagine Carolina wants Gudas. Not that he’s a bad player, it just doesn’t feel like a fit right now. 

Well they only have 5 Dmen signed.

They are looking to move Faulk and Hanifin so I think they could have interest in Gudas for their bottom pair and he is signed at a reasonable rate.

It doesn't have to be for Skinner I would look to move him at the draft and I think the Canes could use his toughness.

I'd flip him for a 3rd.

25 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Honestly,  I'm not a huge fan of Skinner.   @OccamsRazor asked what it would cost, and I honestly have no idea.  I have a feeling he's probably worth more than what I want to give him credit for, but I'm lukewarm to him at best.  I think my problem with him is more fantasy-league driven than maybe actual on ice.   He's of little use to me in fantasy.

I think seeing what Lindblom can do is more than likely the way this goes.  And while I would like a scoring left winger, it's behind goalie and 3C on my list of priorities.  If Skinner really is available, I think due diligence dictates you at least check into it and if the asking price is doable then you pull the trigger.  I think it takes more than I want to give up, though.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Anthony-Travalgia/If-Wayne-Simmonds-is-available-the-Bruins-should-be-calling/257/93471

Here's an excerpt from the Bruins blogger on urging Boston to go after the Wayne Train.

According to Michael Russo of The Athletic the Flyers are gearing up to potentially trade Wayne Simmonds.

The 29-yeard old Simmonds has one year left on his current contract that will pay him $5 million this season. However, his cap hit comes in at a very reasonable $3.975 million. Simmonds has a modified no trade clause that allows him to submit a list of 12 teams he would accept a trade to. With the Bruins on the doorstop of being a Stanley Cup contender and a need for a top-six right winger, the Bruins would be a great fit for Simmonds.

After back-to-back 30+ goal seasons in 2015-16 and 2016-17, Simmonds had a drop in production with 25 goals during an injury plagued season last year. Simmonds only missed seven games, but never really appeared to be at 100% throughout the course of the season.

A healthy Simmonds should be able to crack 30 goals again this season, especially if he were to be placed to the right of Brad Marchand and Patrice Begeron on the Bruins top line. As a unrestricted free agent next summer, any trade for Simmonds would most likely come with a contract extension agreement. At 29, it would make sense for Simmonds to seek a three-to-four year contract.

Most likely his last big contract.

With a pool of prospects in the system, the Bruins have chips in play and should have enough to push towards Philly for the services of Simmonds.

Simmonds is undoubtedly the type of player you wont both off and on the ice. He's consistently flirting with 30 goals, and brings a very physical game each and every night. He's also no stranger to the power play either with 149 career power play points.

45 minutes ago, brelic said:

With a pool of prospects in the system, the Bruins have chips in play and should have enough to push towards Philly for the services of Simmonds.

Like what? Boston isn't really team you hear about having a fantastic prospect pool at present. They feel much more like a team whose good prospects are already on the roster.

I'm pretty confident we can do better. We have a boatload of interesting prospects already. Picks and prospects are great and all, but we need to start picking up some NHL ready talent at this point.

It makes much more sense to me if Simmonds is moved for something we need right now. His value is high enough for that. Get me a goalie who's young enough and ready to take a step forward, a 2-3C who is ready now and can help push Patrick, or at the very least a solid 2LW who is ready now. I don't feel that's too much to ask in return at all.

I'll take Pasta though! #GetHexyOnThePhone

36 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Like what?

Well before i say anything i would start with i DO NOT want to trade Simmer to a East team....don't want to have to face him.

But if it did have to be the Bruins the trade would have to center around Zach Senyshyn...Morgan Frost's former team mate.

Then go from there....if you want him it's going to cost. Got to pay to play.

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

What do you think about kicking the tires on David Perron if Vegas let's him test the market???

Decent LW option i think for the 2nd or 3rd line no less.

I hope Ron trades Weal off the team at the draft.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Like what? Boston isn't really team you hear about having a fantastic prospect pool at present. They feel much more like a team whose good prospects are already on the roster.

So in that vein, DeBrusk? Not sure Boston would trade him though.

Forsbacka-Karlsson?

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What do you think about kicking the tires on David Perron if Vegas let's him test the market???

Decent LW option i think for the 2nd or 3rd line no less.

I hope Ron trades Weal off the team at the draft.

I hope Ron finds him a nice job at SuperFresh or Albertson's where he belongs.

Perron:   It's not exciting but kind of an under the radar type move that might be okay.  His salary/cap was manageable and I see no reason for anything other than an incremental raise, if that.    But only for 3rd line unless Lindblom completely fails.   My problem with third line--and it's not a big one--is that you have to go 3 scoring lines rather than a 3rd line defensive line.   I mean, that's the trend anyway so that's fine.   But he has been a negative player on +/- since leaving St. Louis (with the exception of the 30 or so games in Anaheim--go figure).  He's okay.  I wouldn't hate it.

What are you thinking on term?  We do have players coming on LW so I don't want him blocking anyone when he's 33-34.   I don't think the $3M-$3.6M it would take is a cap-breaker even when we're signing our kids in a couple of years.   4 years/$3.5M AAV?

Archived