Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

16 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Simmonds to WSH for Grubauer and a 1st?

I meant to put this in my first post.

I too would not want to trade Simmer to a rival....i would prefer to trade him out west if they do.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure i would look at everything that didn't involve bring Elliott and Neuvy back next year....one of the two shouldn't come back.

I'm with you here. Zero of the two should be coming back imo. Having a goalie who can steal the occasional game instead of two who are guaranteed to let in 1-2 bad goals every bout would be an immediate boost.

I honestly think the UFA list of goalies is no better than Elliott though. I get that Hutton could be slightly better, but that's mostly because the bar is pretty low. He's been in the league now for six seasons and has never been given a starting gig. No doubt there is a reason for that.

Of course, you could say the same about Grubauer for that matter. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

That's not a great plan for Hextall to put himself in that situation. Without having any idea at all how Carter Hart will do in LHV, the team needs to have another goalie to use as the callup, whether that's Stolarz or Lyon or some other option.

M-A Fleury was brutal in his draft year when the Pens decided to play him. He looked totally overwhelmed. It took until draft+5 years for Fleury to have NHL-caliber numbers as a legitimate starter.

I think Hextall is going to roll with Elliott and Neuvirth and work in one of the Phantoms. Honestly, unless they're willing to give up assets and can move one of those goalies out and find a CLEARLY 'better' one, this makes the most sense. 

As a side note, the Leafs drafted and then traded Rask to the Bruins for Raycroft, who played two sub-.900 seasons for them.

Can you imagine if the Flyers had traded Hart for Mrazek??

1 hour ago, brelic said:

That's not a great plan for Hextall to put himself in that situation. Without having any idea at all how Carter Hart will do in LHV, the team needs to have another goalie to use as the callup, whether that's Stolarz or Lyon or some other option.

M-A Fleury was brutal in his draft year when the Pens decided to play him. He looked totally overwhelmed. It took until draft+5 years for Fleury to have NHL-caliber numbers as a legitimate starter.

I think Hextall is going to roll with Elliott and Neuvirth and work in one of the Phantoms. Honestly, unless they're willing to give up assets and can move one of those goalies out and find a CLEARLY 'better' one, this makes the most sense. 

As a side note, the Leafs drafted and then traded Rask to the Bruins for Raycroft, who played two sub-.900 seasons for them.

Can you imagine if the Flyers had traded Hart for Mrazek??

The plan I described specifically has Hart as 6th on the depth chart.  It would only bring him up to play if (like this year) Elliott,  Neuvous Neuvy, Stolarz all got hurt and Lyon was just horrible again. 

If 5 goalies got hurt again, and Hart was at least passable in the AHL, Hextall would probably bring up Hart rather than trade for another Mrazek. That’s literally all I meant. 

I don’t know that I see Neuvy getting much of a shot again. They could use these surgeries and special conditioning he has planned as trade enticement. 

There are UFA options. I still really like the idea of carrying neuvy as a press box addition on the 23 man roster just for practices and occasional injury fill ins. 

Toronto really screwed that pooch, but thanks to that screwing and the subsequent NTC they gave task, Boston had to send Subban to LV.  Not as ugly a loss, but still. Kinda sucks. 

Id say they should trade for fleury, but I do t think he’ll waive again. 

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don’t know that I see Neuvy getting much of a shot again. They could use these surgeries and special conditioning he has planned as trade enticement. 

He has had 3 different trainers over the last 3 years - Neuvy and "enticement" should not go together in the same sentence. :cheers:

My bet is that both Neuvy and Elliott are back next season as the 1a/1b garbage.   

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd already suggested that. So you're welcome.

However I don't see it happening.

Did you suggest who they might go for because I only see Crawford and Fleury out there on a likely contract and I don't see Fleury waiving and I don't see Chicago giving up Crawford without an heir apparent and maybe they have one... I'm not familiar with their situation.

11 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

He has had 3 different trainers over the last 3 years - Neuvy and "enticement" should not go together in the same sentence. :cheers:

My bet is that both Neuvy and Elliott are back next season as the 1a/1b garbage.   

I'm not sure Comcast is going to be so okay with that.  The optics of the empty seats in the playoff games had more impact than originally thought.  Even though those seats were technically sold, they were sold to brokers who couldn't then move them again.

Long story short, I think Hextall has some marching orders and I'm willing to get after what happened with the goaltending situation this year, doing SOMETHING about Neuvirth isn't in the cards.  

Additionally, we know how long it took Giroux and Ghost and Patrick to recover from Summertime core injury surgery...  which leads me to believe they're not considering Elliott 100% safe as the viable #1 opening night or at least to play well even if he's "healthy".

I don't have a lot of hope myself, but I do think there might be legit reasons to suspect something might happen.  

Just becasue I'm not dead sick of typing it yet, I'm going to retype that regardless of who or what they sign or trade for in the off season, I would LIKE to see Neuvirth back again if only as the 23rd man on the roster and if only so he can take meaningless shots during the daily practice sessions that supposedly were the real thing that wore down Elliott and Neuvrith all year.  

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm not sure Comcast is going to be so okay with that.  The optics of the empty seats in the playoff games had more impact than originally thought.  Even though those seats were technically sold, they were sold to brokers who couldn't then move them again.

Long story short, I think Hextall has some marching orders and I'm willing to get after what happened with the goaltending situation this year, doing SOMETHING about Neuvirth isn't in the cards.  

Additionally, we know how long it took Giroux and Ghost and Patrick to recover from Summertime core injury surgery...  which leads me to believe they're not considering Elliott 100% safe as the viable #1 opening night or at least to play well even if he's "healthy".

I don't have a lot of hope myself, but I do think there might be legit reasons to suspect something might happen.  

Just becasue I'm not dead sick of typing it yet, I'm going to retype that regardless of who or what they sign or trade for in the off season, I would LIKE to see Neuvirth back again if only as the 23rd man on the roster and if only so he can take meaningless shots during the daily practice sessions that supposedly were the real thing that wore down Elliott and Neuvrith all year.  

I sure hope you are right b/c it will be another disaster next year if the plan is to have Elliott and Neuvy back.   

In a sense I hope you are right that Hextall has heard some marching orders from the Comcast Brass.  If he can't find a way to improve the goal-tending and the 3C it could be a long season.

I was also reading that Simmonds pelvic injury is similar to what Ghost and G had which makes the first half of next season a tough one for Simmonds.   He should be able to play at the beginning of the season next year but really how good is he going to be? I keep seeing trade Simmer this and trade Simmer that...  right now with his injury and the fact it takes a long time to fully recover I really don't see that much of a trade market that would be worth the return.  Maybe Hextall uses it as a bargaining tool to lock him up at a reasonable cap hit but the possibility of Simmonds being at 75% for the first half of the season is a concern.

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Did you suggest who they might go for because I only see Crawford and Fleury out there on a likely contract and I don't see Fleury waiving and I don't see Chicago giving up Crawford without an heir apparent and maybe they have one... I'm not familiar with their situation.

I suggested a week or so back for Holtby he only has two years left but that was when they were riding Grubauer....they have went back to Holtby since.

However I would be down with someone else who is signed for two years...3 tops with a decent pedigree.

Varlamov really comes to mind but I don't think Avs want to move him.

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I sure hope you are right b/c it will be another disaster next year if the plan is to have Elliott and Neuvy back.   

In a sense I hope you are right that Hextall has heard some marching orders from the Comcast Brass.  If he can't find a way to improve the goal-tending and the 3C it could be a long season.

I was also reading that Simmonds pelvic injury is similar to what Ghost and G had which makes the first half of next season a tough one for Simmonds.   He should be able to play at the beginning of the season next year but really how good is he going to be? I keep seeing trade Simmer this and trade Simmer that...  right now with his injury and the fact it takes a long time to fully recover I really don't see that much of a trade market that would be worth the return.  Maybe Hextall uses it as a bargaining tool to lock him up at a reasonable cap hit but the possibility of Simmonds being at 75% for the first half of the season is a concern.

I've been thinking that exact thing on Simmonds.  It would bad for Wayne, but it would make a ton of sense for Hextall to use this to lock him of for 4 or 5 million rather than losing him for 6 or 7 at the end of the year.  Maybe he's healthy enough in April to be sharp for a playoff berth.

The way businesses like comcast think, their concerns would be as much about the optics as anything.  If the Mrazek thing had worked out, yipee!  no worries, hextall you're a genius.  But they couldn't risk starting him in the playoffs he got so bad.  That looks bad and that's the kind of thing that they know makes consumers feel defeated. 

Hextall has options in net.  I'd prefer that he do something rather than nothing, but I have concerns that none of it will matter if Hakstol is allowed to run things as he has been.  His practices seem fraught with peril at this point and his decisions in who he starts when seem utterly insane.  Hakstol's a different subject though.  A long one. 

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I suggested a week or so back for Holtby he only has two years left but that was when they were riding Grubauer....they have went back to Holtby since.

However I would be down with someone else who is signed for two years...3 tops with a decent pedigree.

Varlamov really comes to mind but I don't think Avs want to move him.

Okay, that was you... it's a decent enough idea.  Makes a lot of sense for the player, I'm just not fond of giving the capitals anything especially if it helps them reload their aging roster.  But a three way deal maybe?  Picks to a west coast team who sends a D man to Washington to replace Carlson who signs someplace for an absurd amount of money?  I could handle that.  Hell, I'd throw in Hagg to help out whatever West Coast team gives up their D man.   

Also, I agree on Colorado and Varlamov... but I'd consider signing Bernier for a two year deal as UFA this summer.  I didn't want him last year, but after what we saw this year, he's fine for a two year rental. He can have 25 games, Elliott can have 30 and Stolarz can have 27.

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Makes a lot of sense for the player, I'm just not fond of giving the capitals anything especially if it helps them reload their aging roster.

Me either.....i'm sure they feel the same way...no way they want Holby pitching a shutout against them or booting them out come playoff time.....unless it's a ridiculous offer...is also why i said it won't work....Holby anyways....but you can look around for another option.

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd consider signing Bernier for a two year deal as UFA this summer.  I didn't want him last year, but after what we saw this year, he's fine for a two year rental. 

I'm going to stick by what i said last year....pass i'd find another option....i'd prefer Hutton over him.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I meant to put this in my first post.

I too would not want to trade Simmer to a rival....i would prefer to trade him out west if they do.

Simmer to Edmonton for Talbot.

37 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me either.....i'm sure they feel the same way...no way they want Holby pitching a shutout against them or booting them out come playoff time.....unless it's a ridiculous offer...is also why i said it won't work....Holby anyways....but you can look around for another option.

You forgot about the Golden Rule!  It's okay when it's in a Three Way!

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

OK.  I guess you think he was a mistake?  To me he is the best guy to play in the freezing conditions

Yeah I do. Kid was a 50% completion type of passer at Wyoming.

Really he should have dominated there but he didn't.

I think Mason Rudolph will have a better career than him.

It's all I want to say about this I don't want to hijack the thread.

So all you guys have to do now is tank next year and get your goalie.

:haha:

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah I do. Kid was a 50% completion type of passer at Wyoming.

Really he should have dominated there but he didn't.

I think Mason Rudolph will have a better career than him.

It's all I want to say about this I don't want to hijack the thread.

So all you guys have to do now is tank next year and get your goalie.

:haha:

You jump from the Bills to the Sabres so fast I cant tell at times.   Mel Kiper says he is his best pick.  So I guess he knows nothing?  ESPN top college guru knows more than Ocean Razor. You have to consider he did not play for a top ten rated college either.  The talent will be better.  I have seen him in action and am excited.  McCarron might get a shot early on also?  But I know little about him.  I know he knows the Ravens well and that is our opener.  You best worry about my second favorite team that is going to be no fun to play against. . The Rams.  

The Sabres have plenty to work with.  Finding a goalie is the big concern

13 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You jump from the Bills to the Sabres so fast I cant tell at times.   Mel Kiper says he is his best pick.  So I guess he knows nothing?  ESPN top college guru knows more than Ocean Razor. You have to consider he did not play for a top ten rated college either.  The talent will be better.  I have seen him in action and am excited.  McCarron might get a shot early on also?  But I know little about him.  I know he knows the Ravens well and that is our opener.  You best worry about my second favorite team that is going to be no fun to play against. . The Rams.  

The Sabres have plenty to work with.  Finding a goalie is the big concern

Yeah because Kiper has never been wrong:

Kiper said... - "Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason."

According to Kiper - Dan McGwire and Brett Favre are rated even.

According to Kiper - David Carr was going to remind Texans fans of Troy Aikman.

Kiper said... - "If he (Clausen) is not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I'm done. That's it. I'm out."

Kiper said... - "Andre Ware will be an excellent NFL quarterback."

Kiper said... - "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy (Jamarcus Russell) that's certainly one of the elite top 5 quarterbacks in the league." He even compared him to John Elway.

According to Kiper - Ki-Jana Carter can be the next Bo Jackson.

Kiper said... - "I'll see you at his (USC WR Mike Williams) Hall of Fame induction."

So yeah Rick we'll be adding his thoughts on Allen to his long list of dontknowwhatthefukheistalking comments!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah because Kiper has never been wrong:

Kiper said... - "Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason."

According to Kiper - Dan McGwire and Brett Favre are rated even.

According to Kiper - David Carr was going to remind Texans fans of Troy Aikman.

Kiper said... - "If he (Clausen) is not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I'm done. That's it. I'm out."

Kiper said... - "Andre Ware will be an excellent NFL quarterback."

Kiper said... - "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy (Jamarcus Russell) that's certainly one of the elite top 5 quarterbacks in the league." He even compared him to John Elway.

According to Kiper - Ki-Jana Carter can be the next Bo Jackson.

Kiper said... - "I'll see you at his (USC WR Mike Williams) Hall of Fame induction."

So yeah Rick we'll be adding his thoughts on Allen to his long list of dontknowwhatthefukheistalking comments!

Nobody is going to be right all the time in these matters.  As for David Carr, I am terrified of this team with Gruden back and the receiving chore he has.  Leave me alone for a day can you?

I know it is highly unlikely but I would like the see Hextall trade Radko at the draft for whatever he can get for him.

He can't play well within the limits of the game and not be dirty. He has been rendered useless pretty much.

Make room on the blue line for Sanheim and Morin next year.

Washington has proven willing to deal within the division. They gave up Marcus Johansson for a 2nd and a 3rd to NJ just last offseason. His price was probably depressed due to their cap issues, but I'm sure someone out West or at least in the Atlantic could have given value at least close to that for a 26-year old on a good deal who flirted with 60 points last year, and was basically a 45-50 point guarantee.

The Schenn deal isn't actually that bad a comparison. Schenn's a year younger, has slightly better point totals, and is on a deal that's one year longer but for more money. Johansson is worth less, but when you weigh all the factors (including Lehtera's negative value coming back) the Caps probably still got a bit less than market value for him. From a division opponent. So I don't think that a deal with them is as outlandish as it might traditionally seem.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know it is highly unlikely but I would like the see Hextall trade Radko at the draft for whatever he can get for him.

He can't play well within the limits of the game and not be dirty. He has been rendered useless pretty much.

Make room on the blue line for Sanheim and Morin next year.

It's funny. He was fine with Sanheim. He was terrible with Manning. Manning was terrible in general. I'd like to see Gudas back with a passable partner before getting rid of him.

Archived