Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

32 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And I don't see anything in his game that points to him being better than the 13th forward on the Flyers. Both Leier and Weal outproduced him in the AHL at the same age.

He won't be kept up to be the 13th forward.

He will either play or be in the AHL his last year of waiver exemption.

Weal out producing him at the same age has really nothing to do with NAK. 

Two different types of players and styles.

Weal played on the Monarchs top PP.

And a deep talented team at that.

NAK wasn't use on the PP.

He played on the PK.

His 18 goals were 5 on 5.

If he has a good camp/preseason he can steal a spot and someone could face waivers or even be traded to do such.

Guess we'll see.

Leier will be an oddman out I think.

He and Weal were in Hak's doghouse and I don't expect much to change. Both are small and not physical enough at the NHL level.

The jury is out on NAK.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He won't be kept up to be the 13th forward.

He will either play or be in the AHL his last year of waiver exemption.

Weal out producing him at the same age has really nothing to do with NAK. 

Two different types of players and styles.

Weal played on the Monarchs top PP.

He played for the Phantoms, too. 

And a deep talented team at that.

NAK wasn't use on the PP.

He played on the PK.

I'm not bringing a guy up to play on the PK. The Flyers averaged just over 4 minutes of PK time per game. I need a guy who brings something more than the ability to skate shorthanded for less than 2 minutes a game. The Flyers actually have a decent number of PK forwards. They just need to deploy them in a manner that makes sense. Maybe give Lindblom and Patrick shots. Both have good defensive awareness.

His 18 goals were 5 on 5.

Weal had 10 5v5 goals the preceding season in 30 fewer games in the AHL, which paces to 17 over the same season length. Weal's actually scored goals in the NHL, too. 

If he has a good camp/preseason he can steal a spot and someone could face waivers or even be traded to do such.

Guess we'll see.

Sure we will. I just think he needs to prove something because his AHL career doesn't recommend him as an "upgrade". I want the team to be better, and if NAK actually does make the team better, I'm all for it. I'm just wary of penciling in someone new not because they've shown they're better than someone else, but because they're not someone else.

Leier will be an oddman out I think.

Entirely possible. He was a good linemate for Laughton and Raffl, but he didn't do much else with his opportunity. He was abysmal on the PK, and didn't score. I could certainly see them wanting to go in another direction, but he was the 14th forward by the end of the season, so NAK beating him out doesn't move the needle in any meaningful way.

Frankly, while I'm fine with Laughton as the 3C (it better not be Lehtera), I'm hoping that somehow they strengthen that position and Laughton plays the 4C role. Raffl - Laughton would be two thirds of an excellent 4th line, and then I'm not overly concerned with the 12th forward.

He and Weal were in Hak's doghouse and I don't expect much to change. Both are small and not physical enough at the NHL level.

The jury is out on NAK.

11 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He played for the Phantoms, too. 

Yeah Weal played on their top PP.

And who said anything about bringing up a guy to just play on the PK?

The 4th line has a purpose in the NHL and having better skill on it means they can play more minutes.

And like I said comparing a 26 year old forward to a kid who just 2 months ago turned 22 is no where the same.

No one said penciling anyone in. It will be earned.

And that role can be earned even on the 4th.

The NHL now requires teams to roll 4 lines with him they can do that.

And he can play up in the lineup if and injury occurs. Can also play either wing.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah Weal played on their top PP.

Because he earned it?

And who said anything about bringing up a guy to just play on the PK?

I was just pointing out that PK time shouldn't be a consideration, since you mentioned it.

The 4th line has a purpose in the NHL and having better skill on it means they can play more minutes.

And I'd argue that Weal has proven he has more skill than NAK to this point in their respective careers.

And like I said comparing a 26 year old forward to a kid who just 2 months ago turned 22 is no where the same.

Weal outscored NAK as a 21 year old, to go along with 16 5v5 goals. Was on par as a 20-year old rookie. I'll never get the "He was playing on the top PP and first line on a loaded team," argument against a player. If the team was stacked, yet he was playing on the top PP and top line, isn't that a good thing? One can make a similar argument against NAK's 18 5v5 goals - he was lower in the lineup, faced lesser competition, etc. 

No one said penciling anyone in. It will be earned.

And that role can be earned even on the 4th.

Sure it can. But he has to prove he's better than 3 guys to even make it to the 4th line. And I don't see it in what he's done so far.

The NHL now requires teams to roll 4 lines with him they can do that.

Based on what? This is my whole point. What basis is there to say that he gives them the opportunity to roll a fourth line? Any more than Leier or Weal or Lehtera or Weise?

And he can play up in the lineup if and injury occurs. Can also play either wing.

So can Weal on both counts - he did play on the left alongside Giroux for a quarter of a season, and produced there. Plus, if Hextall is to be believed, he can play center (he was listed as such on Manchester). I think he's too small, but truthfully he doesn't give up too much on Giroux wrt size.

My only point behind all of this is that while I hope there are better players to fill spots on the Flyers, I'm not ready to make room for someone on the hopes that they're better. Even a good camp doesn't necessarily prove anything. Many vets are taking it easy trying to get into shape, so a guy coming in and blowing away the preseason doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to succeed once opponents start trying. NAK doesn't have a track record of production at lower levels that argues for promotion. I'd rather he goes back to the AHL and come up as an injury call-up and prove he belongs then, than make room for a camp hero only to have him fall flat on his face in the regular season. Unless they're shooting Lehtera into the sun. In that case, I'm all for making room ahead of time.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Because he earned it?

I was just pointing out that PK time shouldn't be a consideration, since you mentioned it.

And I'd argue that Weal has proven he has more skill than NAK to this point in their respective careers.

Weal outscored NAK as a 21 year old, to go along with 16 5v5 goals. Was on par as a 20-year old rookie. I'll never get the "He was playing on the top PP and first line on a loaded team," argument against a player. If the team was stacked, yet he was playing on the top PP and top line, isn't that a good thing? One can make a similar argument against NAK's 18 5v5 goals - he was lower in the lineup, faced lesser competition, etc. 

Sure it can. But he has to prove he's better than 3 guys to even make it to the 4th line. And I don't see it in what he's done so far.

Based on what? This is my whole point. What basis is there to say that he gives them the opportunity to roll a fourth line? Any more than Leier or Weal or Lehtera or Weise?

So can Weal on both counts - he did play on the left alongside Giroux for a quarter of a season, and produced there. Plus, if Hextall is to be believed, he can play center (he was listed as such on Manchester). I think he's too small, but truthfully he doesn't give up too much on Giroux wrt size.

My only point behind all of this is that while I hope there are better players to fill spots on the Flyers, I'm not ready to make room for someone on the hopes that they're better. Even a good camp doesn't necessarily prove anything. Many vets are taking it easy trying to get into shape, so a guy coming in and blowing away the preseason doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to succeed once opponents start trying. NAK doesn't have a track record of production at lower levels that argues for promotion. I'd rather he goes back to the AHL and come up as an injury call-up and prove he belongs then, than make room for a camp hero only to have him fall flat on his face in the regular season. Unless they're shooting Lehtera into the sun. In that case, I'm all for making room ahead of time.

Ok. Gotcha.

This can be huge next year...

Nolan Patrick named No. 1 breakout player for 2018-19 by NHL Network

Patrick.jpg?resize=800%2C278&ssl=1

https://www.flyersnation.net/nolan-patrick-named-no-1-breakout-player-for-2018-19-by-nhl-network/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think a 2nd line of JVR-Patrick-Voracek will be hard to stop...

I think it bodes well for the Flyers that Nolan Patrick was selected 2nd, not that there's anything wrong with Hirschier...I just think that getting picked second after a full year of being "the man" has provided some extra motivation for Patrick.  He has handled himself with grace and class, he did not pout, but when he was healthy he played like a different cat. I think the little slights he's received since his draft have provided him with some extra fuel.  So for the sake of my favorite hockey team,  I hope some more geniuses direct some faint praise his way. No more of these "breakout star" pieces please.

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think it bodes well for the Flyers that Nolan Patrick was selected 2nd, not that there's anything wrong with Hirschier...I just think that getting picked second after a full year of being "the man" has provided some extra motivation for Patrick.  He has handled himself with grace and class, he did not pout, but when he was healthy he played like a different cat. I think the little slights he's received since his draft have provided him with some extra fuel.  So for the sake of my favorite hockey team,  I hope some more geniuses direct some faint praise his way. No more of these "breakout star" pieces please.

Both will be good players, but I still think history will side firmly in our favour. Barring some sort of injury tragedy, Patrick's skill set stands to be more impactful overall imo. Fancy dangles are great; highly skilled two-way grit is better. I think this year will be the first of a line where Patrick proves the picks should have been reversed. Good for us!

Call me overly optimistic but i can see Patty putting up numbers close to what Matthews just put up in his 2nd second season.

30 goals ( 10 on the PP) and 60 points (22 on the PP) is a good number with JVR and Jake on his wings.

However if he doesn't reach that i wouldn't label it as a disappointment.

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Call me overly optimistic but i can see Patty putting up numbers close to what Matthews just put up in his 2nd second season.

30 goals ( 10 on the PP) and 60 points (22 on the PP) is a good number with JVR and Jake on his wings.

However if he doesn't reach that i wouldn't label it as a disappointment.

I had this discussion this past weekend and I tend to agree.

That 2nd line could be pretty deadly and now that NoPa has had a full recovery with a full offseason of training I would not be shocked if he put up big numbers.  As you stated, if he does not put up those numbers I am in no way going to be disgusted.  The kid is going to be a player and I am excited to watch him grow.

Food for thought...

As i was thinking Hagg and Folin might be a formidable physical PK duo.

Di98K3dXsAI1k53.jpg

We'll see how it works out.

Di9esEaWsAAccCf.jpg

Nice. I think the last Flyer to wear #25 was Matt Carle. Or is my brain not working right.

In regard to Patrick.....

we we all saw what he is capable of when healthy.  If the injuries are behind him he is an all star.

Patrick’s vision  is elite and his ability to make a play at high speed  lethal.  

Factor in his size and two way play......when is the last time the Flyers had a prospect of this magnitude?

being out in whl country, I remember watching commentary about him prior to his draft year.  He was going #1.  Whoever gets him is getting an amazing player etc... and I felt so jealous that the flyers will never draft a player like that.

we have one now! 

Ok some good ol Eklund gossip to stir up this morning i know all love how accurate he is here....so here goes...

Flyers leading in the Panarin interest....now i must say i am not wanting to move Konecny in a deal...

I have heard quite a bit about the Flyers and Canadiens with the most interest...The Flyers probably have the upper hand over Montreal in terms of the amount and quality prospects the Flyers could put forth...And it would take A LOT...

"Any deal would have to include Travis Konecny," one source said firmly.

From Bill Meltzer weighing in:

Unless Panarin commits to a contract extension up front, which he has shown no inclination to do, there is zero chance of the Flyers trading Konecny or first-round picks to rent Panarin for a year. It's not Ron Hextall's way, especially when he realizes the Flyers aren't simply one sniper away from being a true Cup contender.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok some good ol Eklund gossip to stir up this morning i know all love how accurate he is here....so here goes...

Flyers leading in the Panarin interest....now i must say i am not wanting to move Konecny in a deal...

I have heard quite a bit about the Flyers and Canadiens with the most interest...The Flyers probably have the upper hand over Montreal in terms of the amount and quality prospects the Flyers could put forth...And it would take A LOT...

Unless Panarin commits to a contract extension up front, which he has shown no inclination to do, there is zero chance of the Flyers trading Konecny or first-round picks to rent Panarin for a year. It's not Ron Hextall's way, especially when he realizes the Flyers aren't simply one sniper away from being a true Cup contender.

How is Eklund still a thing? The NHL’s version of a tabloid writer. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So a look at the new jersey...

DjEhwIEVAAAASmi.jpg

No more White jerseys?

No more iconic shots of blood stained white jerseys is kinda sad...

Image result for bobby clarke bloody

On 7/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Dumb. 

(I'm not calling you dumb. Calling Eklund dumb)

That's simply a stupid trade. There's no way that's any more true than "puppy monkey babies attack New Brunswick, New Jersey!" 

So if we read between the lines of Hextall's comments and his constant plugging of Weal at center this is the top 9 we see come opening night...

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

JVR - Patrick - Voracek 

Lindblom - Weal - Simmer

Which is also due to results of this cobo and play of other is all subject to change.

However barring someone blowing them away like Frost or the other prospects this is what they start with.

I guess not the end of the world.

My personal opinion is Weal is not cut out for the 3rd line center. But hey maybe they can show case him for a trade.

Man slow days i am ready for some hockey.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:55 PM, Podein25 said:

No more White jerseys?

No more iconic shots of blood stained white jerseys is kinda sad...

Image result for bobby clarke bloody

ugh, the adidas black sweater is boring. Not sure how a team can mess up white black and orange, but looks like the Flyers are on their way to showing me.

I have always like the home whites, particularly the Flyers white sweater. 

This version modeled by REC here is one of my favorites, and I dug it when the organization brought that feel back after the lockout.

If there must be a 3rd sweater, the antique orange and cream with the keystone leadership patches was my favorite. 

why not go back to a look that has some panche ? SAD!

customized-philadelphia-flyers-reebok-premier-third-jersey-new-2014-2015-5.gif

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

My personal opinion is Weal is not cut out for the 3rd line center. But hey maybe they can show case him for a trade.

Did he play center at lower levels? It seems like a lot to put on a guy who can barely keep up on the wing. I wouldn't put it past Hakstol of course. It's entirely possible Weal does play a heavy game. Too bad I have no idea what that even means.

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Did he play center at lower levels?

Some but he was mostly a winger.

It seems like a lot to put on a guy who can barely keep up on the wing.

I agree.

Image result for beating a square peg in round hole gif

It's entirely possible Weal does play a heavy game.

Uh no he is too easily knocked off the puck. It would help if he learned to pass it sooner...but i digress...

Archived