Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
OccamsRazor

Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

Posted (edited)

The idea of Weal at center blows my mind. 

They'd be better off fixing two problems at once and putting Neuvirth at 3C.  At least for 5 minutes until the career-ending injury and we no longer have a logjam at goalie. 

Not a fan, but put Laughton at 3C if you're not going to promote Frost or Vorobyov. Have Lehtera center the 4th. It's only one season and you're already pissing it away if you're putting Weal at 3C anyway. 

Hell, see if Hockey Junkie wants a tryout. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could Flyers trade a goalie to backup Cam Ward in Chicago till Crawford is ready????

Seems he is a ways away from being ready still.

Maybe Neuvy can fill that role even if the Flyers have to eat half his salary....just thinking a loud...

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe Neuvy can fill that role even if the Flyers have to eat half his salary....just thinking a loud...

I can't see any team trading for a guy who has only ever played 30 games once in a season, all due to health issues. It's Chiarelli or bust at this point as far Neuvirth is concerned.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I can't see any team trading for a guy who has only ever played 30 games once in a season, all due to health issues. It's Chiarelli or bust at this point as far Neuvirth is concerned.

I think he is serviceable to backup up to Ward he wouldn't be playing much unless he out plays him...which is possible since Ward has his own issues staying healthy/being consistent too....Neuvy has even posted better save percentage stats than Ward in 3 of the last 4 seasons going back to Buffalo...sure in a smaller sample size but when healthy he is better than Ward....like it or not.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

but when healthy

This is the issue though. He's never healthy for even half a season. He could be Patrick Roy circa immortal, and if he's not playing, literally any other goalie is better.

Is he a serviceable back up in the NHL? Sure, if you have a plan C. He has about ~25 games in him in an average year (his average is exactly 25 at this point in his career). That's fine if you have a workhorse starter who can pull together 55-60GP, but very few teams have that. Even then you better hope that starter doesn't get railroaded by a Lucic forgetting how to put on the breaks.

Chicago certainly doesn't have that in Ward. It would be a Bergevin-level mistake to make on their part, and I just can't see it happening. Besides, we're in no position to be trading away any goalies right now. Without some sort of upgrade in net, we're likely going to need them all.

At this point, Neuvirth's biggest value is in giving AHL netminders a shot at the big show.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, elmatus said:

This is the issue though. He's never healthy for even half a season. He could be Patrick Roy circa immortal, and if he's not playing, literally any other goalie is better.

Is he a serviceable back up in the NHL? Sure, if you have a plan C. He has about ~25 games in him in an average year (his average is exactly 25 at this point in his career). That's fine if you have a workhorse starter who can pull together 55-60GP, but very few teams have that. Even then you better hope that starter doesn't get railroaded by a Lucic forgetting how to put on the breaks.

Chicago certainly doesn't have that in Ward. It would be a Bergevin-level mistake to make on their part, and I just can't see it happening. Besides, we're in no position to be trading away any goalies right now. Without some sort of upgrade in net, we're likely going to need them all.

At this point, Neuvirth's biggest value is in giving AHL netminders a shot at the big show.

That was my point about Ward too.

Never healthy check his track record not to good.

So he could be a temporary backup till Crawford is ready...and you would be eating some of Neuvy's salary. Sure it's a gamble and one they might not want to make...but if they didn't want to gamble they should have never signed Ward either.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

if they didn't want to gamble they should have never signed Ward either.

They likely signed Ward for the same reason we signed Elliott. I expect similar results.

It should also be noted that Ward's average GP/season is double that of Neuvirth at 51GP. He's actually been quite healthy over his career and was an absolute workhorse for much of his time in Carolina. He has six seasons where he played over 60 games (74 was his highest!), and two others where he played over 50. He's only dipped below Neuvirth's average once in his 13 year career (17GP in 12-13).

He's the anti-Neuvirth really.

Edited by elmatus

7 minutes ago, elmatus said:

They likely signed Ward for the same reason we signed Elliott. I expect similar results. It should also be noted that Ward's average GP/season is double that of Neuvirth at 51GP. He's actually been quite healthy over his career and was an absolute workhorse for much of his time in Carolina.

It's a going no where conversation the Flyers are likely just stuck with him. They have enough space they could just bury him and give one of the kids a backup job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's a going no where conversation the Flyers are likely just stuck with him. They have enough space they could just bury him and give one of the kids a backup job.

My guess is they'll play him to start the year and see where it goes. When he goes down, they'll just bring up Stolie or Lyon as they did last season. If Elliott gets worked into the ground again, the other AHL minder will be brought up.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

My guess is they'll play him to start the year and see where it goes. When he goes down, they'll just bring up Stolie or Lyon as they did last season. If Elliott gets worked into the ground again, the other AHL minder will be brought up.

Yeah but do you risk losing one of Lyon or Stolie when they are sent down, because they are subject to waivers to be sent down?

Or do like they did Mcdud a year or two ago when they sent him down and send Neuvy down instead because you know none will claim him?

And if someone was to claim Neuvy like they were praying would happen to Mcdud if he gets claimed problem solved?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And if someone was to claim Neuvy like they were praying would happen to Mcdud if he gets claimed problem solved?

I have a feeling MacDud will be stapled to Sanheim this year. I doubt they'll risk it.

As far as one of the others go, I honestly don't know. Are there special rules for calling up goalies when you've got an injury to replace? Given how common goalie injuries are, it would only make sense.

If not, then maybe they just carry three on the official roster following a call up, or Neuvirth remains injured for a lot longer than originally anticipated, or maybe Neuvirth is the one who would get sent down and exposed to waivers. It's not like they'll have much of a choice anyway. He will need to be replaced when the time comes. They can't run around with no back up.

I guess the semi good news is that all four are largely expendable temporary pieces. We're not looking at a big loss if someone happens to get plucked along the way.

Hextall chatting with Chiarelli. 

Good things come to those who chat with Chiarelli. 

A package involving Simmonds for RNH? I'd be down with that. 

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/RNH/Weal

Raffl/Laughton/Leier or NAK or Lehtera

• Like 1

I support our GM talking to bad GMs. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, brelic said:

Hextall chatting with Chiarelli. 

Good things come to those who chat with Chiarelli. 

A package involving Simmonds for RNH? I'd be down with that. 

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/RNH/Weal

Raffl/Laughton/Leier or NAK or Lehtera

Simmonds for RNH seems too reasonable for Chiarelli. 

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi

Raffl/RNH/it really doesn’t matter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, elmatus said:

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lol, I know the lineup was hyperbole, but you're right that Simmonds for RNH is too reasonable. It's actually almost a win for the Oilers. 

RNH is interesting because he can play center and also swing to wing. He's been a bit disappointing, but I think some of that is Edmonton. So, I'd be willing provided there is more coming back. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Lol, I know the lineup was hyperbole, but you're right that Simmonds for RNH is too reasonable. It's actually almost a win for the Oilers. 

RNH is interesting because he can play center and also swing to wing. He's been a bit disappointing, but I think some of that is Edmonton. So, I'd be willing provided there is more coming back. 

Also from a contract perspective, it’s almost perfect. RNH has three years remaining at $6M. Long enough to get a good read on how he would fit in Philly but not too long that it could be a problem if he doesn’t fit in. 

I have to believe that any talks with the Oilers from the Flyers are about RNH. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, elmatus said:

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Wow impressive trade. 

For Mcdud, Lehtera, Neuvy and Gudas right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Also from a contract perspective, it’s almost perfect. RNH has three years remaining at $6M. Long enough to get a good read on how he would fit in Philly but not too long that it could be a problem if he doesn’t fit in. 

I have to believe that any talks with the Oilers from the Flyers are about RNH. 

Yeah, I agree that they have to involve RNH.  Makes sense to me, too.  I just think the Oilers will also throw in the contents of the second showcase from the Showcase Showdown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow impressive trade. 

For Mcdud, Lehtera, Neuvy and Gudas right?

No. Just Simmonds. Lol

Just now, ruxpin said:

No. Just Simmonds. Lol

Actually, @OccamsRazor, I like your idea better because it clears out some junk.

I'm in no hurry to get rid of MacDonald, though. I'm not extending when the time comes, but I'm not getting rid of him just now

• Like 1

More fuel for the fire. 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Oilers now down two top 4 defensemen since announcing Sekera is out 6-7 months with a torn achilles tendon.

We have the pieces to make it work - but would Hextall be willing to pay the price to get someone like RNH? Does Simmonds and, say, Gudas get it done? Or would Hextall have to part with a younger D - Sanheim is the only one that would make any sense. They're not trading Provorov, Ghost, or even MacDonald at this point, even though he might be the best fit for what the Oilers are looking for. 

If getting RNH means a defense that looks like this.. 

Provorov/Ghost

MacDonald/Gudas

Hagg/Myers

+The new guy we got... forget his name. 

+Morin when he's healthy

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, brelic said:

More fuel for the fire. 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Oilers now down two top 4 defensemen since announcing Sekera is out 6-7 months with a torn achilles tendon.

We have the pieces to make it work - but would Hextall be willing to pay the price to get someone like RNH? Does Simmonds and, say, Gudas get it done? Or would Hextall have to part with a younger D - Sanheim is the only one that would make any sense. They're not trading Provorov, Ghost, or even MacDonald at this point, even though he might be the best fit for what the Oilers are looking for. 

If getting RNH means a defense that looks like this.. 

Provorov/Ghost

MacDonald/Gudas

Hagg/Myers

+The new guy we got... forget his name. 

+Morin when he's healthy

no way in hell I am giving up Simmer + Sanheim for RNH.    A young blue chip defensive prospect and Simmer who has scored the same amount of goals on a broken body this year as RNH?   Hextall would be nuts to do that deal...

RNH is a fine player but has hit 24 goals 2 times in his career.  Giving up a potential top 2-3 dman and Simmer for him is ridiculous.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1