Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

While I think it's even money that it happens, I [whatever extreme intensifier you can find] HATE the idea of Jordan Weal at 3C.  There is no reason --zero -- for me to believe that guy can handle a 3C role. None. I honestly do not believe that kid is an NHL player.  But to put him at 3C is tantamount to saying, "look at our goalies, f### this season." 

I think I agree that Laughton should be given the shot with Vorobyov at 4C, but I think there's a switch made by Christmas when Laughton, too, proves he is entirely incapable to play that role.  I'd prefer him at left wing. On the fourth line. 

If Frost isn't ready --and I don't think he is -- I wouldn't be too shocked to see Couturier at 3C and Giroux at 1C.  Or Coots at 2C and Patrick at 3C. Just for one season or until they decide it might be safe to give Vorobyov a shot at 3C.

That actually creates a hole at LW, but it might be better than a hole at C. 

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

While I think it's even money that it happens, I [whatever extreme intensifier you can find] HATE the idea of Jordan Weal at 3C.  There is no reason --zero -- for me to believe that guy can handle a 3C role. None. I honestly do not believe that kid is an NHL player.  But to put him at 3C is tantamount to saying, "look at our goalies, f### this season." 

I think I agree that Laughton should be given the shot with Vorobyov at 4C, but I think there's a switch made by Christmas when Laughton, too, proves he is entirely incapable to play that role.  I'd prefer him at left wing. On the fourth line. 

If Frost isn't ready --and I don't think he is -- I wouldn't be too shocked to see Couturier at 3C and Giroux at 1C.  Or Coots at 2C and Patrick at 3C. Just for one season or until they decide it might be safe to give Vorobyov a shot at 3C.

That actually creates a hole at LW, but it might be better than a hole at C. 

This was something I somewhat advocated for before the start of free agency, specifically because there were more options at LW than at C, and they'd be cheaper. Center is a more important position than wing. Period. If you can't find a 3C, you're better served moving Giroux back to center and rolling Giroux - Couturier - Patrick down the middle then spending the season playing trial and error at 3C. Sure Giroux - JVR - Lindblom looks better than JVR - Lindblom - Laughton/Raffl, but I think you'll have a stronger team on the whole that way.

Consider:

Raffl - Giroux - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Couturier - Simmonds

Whoever

16 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

This was something I somewhat advocated for before the start of free agency, specifically because there were more options at LW than at C, and they'd be cheaper. Center is a more important position than wing. Period. If you can't find a 3C, you're better served moving Giroux back to center and rolling Giroux - Couturier - Patrick down the middle then spending the season playing trial and error at 3C. Sure Giroux - JVR - Lindblom looks better than JVR - Lindblom - Laughton/Raffl, but I think you'll have a stronger team on the whole that way.

Consider:

Raffl - Giroux - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Couturier - Simmonds

Whoever

I think I flip flop JVR and Raffl. I'm not excited by Raffl with Coots and suspect you're trying to make sure Coots has wingers since he's shown what he can do when he has them. 

Maybe you'll have the same problem with JVR and TK, but I'm concerned about the redundancy of JVR and Simmonds being similar "park in front of the net" players.  What's worse is that Coots had great success last year doing that too.  

Maybe even consider Lindblom with Coots so Patrick doesn't have what amounts to a rookie winger in only his own second year. Put Raffl with Patrick. Or JVR. Patrick, Voracek and JVR could be a hell of a line. 

None of it is ideal, but I agree I'd rather weaken left wing than center. 

Are we fairly sure neither Twarynski or Radcliffe will be ready? 

By the way, @AJgoal, I remember your bringing up the idea of putting Giroux back at center. I was against it at the time and still don't like it all that much but have come around to your idea that it might be the lesser of evils. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think I flip flop JVR and Raffl. I'm not excited by Raffl with Coots and suspect you're trying to make sure Coots has wingers since he's shown what he can do when he has them. 

Maybe you'll have the same problem with JVR and TK, but I'm concerned about the redundancy of JVR and Simmonds being similar "park in front of the net" players.  What's worse is that Coots had great success last year doing that too.  

Maybe even consider Lindblom with Coots so Patrick doesn't have what amounts to a rookie winger in only his own second year. Put Raffl with Patrick. Or JVR. Patrick, Voracek and JVR could be a hell of a line. 

None of it is ideal, but I agree I'd rather weaken left wing than center. 

Are we fairly sure neither Twarynski or Radcliffe will be ready? 

I dropped Raffl with Giroux because the last time he spent a season with him, he put in 20 goals. Giroux is still the most prolific scorer on the team, and if Tom Wilson can do it, Raffl can.

Radcliffe needs some skating work still, though he seemed much improved this development camp. Twarynski is a guy I really like, but he probably needs another year too. If Nash decides not to retire, I'd kick the tires there. He helps the PK, too.

54 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I dropped Raffl with Giroux because the last time he spent a season with him, he put in 20 goals. Giroux is still the most prolific scorer on the team, and if Tom Wilson can do it, Raffl can.

Radcliffe needs some skating work still, though he seemed much improved this development camp. Twarynski is a guy I really like, but he probably needs another year too. If Nash decides not to retire, I'd kick the tires there. He helps the PK, too.

Yeah, honestly I get Raffl with Giroux. So, i guess i want to move things around on the other two lines so that I don't end up with JVR, Coots, and Simmonds together.  They either all end up at the net together or two players suffer because they can't play their game. 

So, Coots with one of the net hogs and flip the other to Patrick's line. I think flip lindholm and JVR because I'm also not sold on Simmonds with Patrick. 

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, honestly I get Raffl with Giroux. So, i guess i want to move things around on the other two lines so that I don't end up with JVR, Coots, and Simmonds together.  They either all end up at the net together or two players suffer because they can't play their game. 

So, Coots with one of the net hogs and flip the other to Patrick's line. I think flip lindholm and JVR because I'm also not sold on Simmonds with Patrick. 

I'd be fine there. 

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

There is no reason --zero -- for me to believe that guy can handle a 3C role. None. I honestly do not believe that kid is an NHL player.  But to put him at 3C is tantamount to saying, "look at our goalies, f### this season." 

I don't know if I'd go *quite* that far, but yes...Jordan Weal has shown decent offensive instincts, mostly when a season was over and no one gave a ****.  I don't recall ever thinking wow, that little dude backchecks like a mofo, not once.  In fact, I have never thought, wow that little dude has a super compete level...ala #11(who is not really that little). I want my 3C to have that high compete level and be about ruining the other guy's night the way Jordan Staal used to for Pgh before he made his bank. 

I just don't see the qualities I value in Weal's game for that position in the lineup.  

If he wins the job in camp, I hope he surprises us all.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know if I'd go *quite* that far, but yes...Jordan Weal has shown decent offensive instincts, mostly when a season was over and no one gave a ****.  I don't recall ever thinking wow, that little dude backchecks like a mofo, not once.  In fact, I have never thought, wow that little dude has a super compete level...ala #11(who is not really that little). I want my 3C to have that high compete level and be about ruining the other guy's night the way Jordan Staal used to for Pgh before he made his bank. 

I just don't see the qualities I value in Weal's game for that position in the lineup.  

If he wins the job in camp, I hope he surprises us all.

You know, I did see that in Weal for like a 3 week period. Can't remember if it was last season or the one before lol. But he was playing C, and had a strong possession game. He looked like a different player. 

So... the good thing about the Weal at 3C experiment is that they can at least get a read on things during camp and see if it's at all viable. 

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Nylander-for-Trouba-Rumors-Picking-Up-Are-the-Flyers-involved/1/94463

I'll just leave this here should add about 15 more pages by monday...

Eklund (i know he loved here).....

From a source

"Quite simply, Toronto has the most they can offer for Trouba, even though that asset doesn't fit perfectly into the plans for the Jets...The Jets and Flyers have been talking. It is possible Nylander could be moved to Philly for Sanheim.. The Flyers are still looking for one more piece up front."

It is also possible that the Flyers could talk directly to Toronto and offer up a lesser D-man for Kapanan...who grew up in the Philly area...

He basically goes where I would, but he's absolutely wrong in his assertion that Hagg has never played on the right in the NHL - that's where he played when he was paired with Ghost last year. While I really like Provorov - Ghost, I just think that leaves a D pair that has trouble moving the puck. I suppose

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Gudas

Hagg - MacDonald 

might be ok, but you'll be a bit more balanced with the proposed group.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

He basically goes where I would, but he's absolutely wrong in his assertion that Hagg has never played on the right in the NHL - that's where he played when he was paired with Ghost last year

That's correct. Few people seem to remember that. 

Also, it's odd to me that an entire article on defense and what ifs and no mention of Morin. I realize he doesn't come back until later, but he's as relevant as Myers. 

I only like Sanheim with Gudas if the latter plays like two years ago. If Gudas plays like last year, it's a disaster. Either way, that's actually my third pairing.   But the statement is true about Gudas no matter who they put him with. 

If Gudas returns to 2 years ago we're in good shape.  If not, that may be what Folin is insurance for. 

Strome still doesn't skate well enough, though he's much better than he was this time last year. Frost? I just don't think the Flyers think he has the size yet. Though Couturier's injury should create some more reps for him.

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Frost? I just don't think the Flyers think he has the size yet.

I don't think size is the problem. He's bigger and taller than TK was in his rookie year. I think the bigger challenge for him is adjusting to the pro game. We don't know that he's ready for the pros yet. He needs to prove that first. Being great in juniors is a nice first step, but it's really just that.

I do think he has a shot though. We have no 3C right now of note after all. He needs to show up to play at camp.

Giroux / Couts / TK

JVR / Patrick / Voracek

Lindblom / Frost / Simmonds

*giddy giddy*

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I don't think size is the problem. He's bigger and taller than TK was in his rookie year. I think the bigger challenge for him is adjusting to the pro game. We don't know that he's ready for the pros yet. He needs to prove that first. Being great in juniors is a nice first step, but it's really just that.

I do think he has a shot though. We have no 3C right now of note after all. He needs to show up to play at camp.

Lindblom / Frost / Simmonds

I don't think it is either. But every time his name comes up, Pryor and Hextall shoot down his chances with essentially, "He's still too small." I don't recall them doing that with TK.

Just now, AJgoal said:

I don't think it is either. But every time his name comes up, Pryor and Hextall shoot down his chances with essentially, "He's still too small." I don't recall them doing that with TK.

Maybe they prefer more size in their pivots. It would make sense I suppose.

He'd also have to beat out Laughton, Vorobyev, and Vex, all of whom have pro experience. So, while he does have a chance, I can't say it's a very good one. That's a lot of things he has to get right.

11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Konecny played way more physical than Frost does. Konecny thinks he's 6'3" 220.

Archived