Flyers 2018-19 Offseason moves

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, I agree. That's what I was thinking too - any move to bring in a veteran defenseman is predicated upon moving out Gudas. 

That being said, I don't know that I pencil in Morin until he shows a) that he can play at this level better than another 5/6 defenseman, and b) that he can actually stay healthy. 

Morin missed almost an entire season, so it's really hard to gauge his development. Either way, he's on the Flyers next year, but his role depends on him.

Agreed.  I'm not concerned about his being able to play better than 5/6.  I'm more concerned about your "stay healthy" part.  Because he hasn't exactly done anything to prove that to be the case.

Patrick hadn't either and did well with that (so far) so who knows?  I think Morin has a longer track record of injury issues at this point, though.    I don't pencil him in.  I think I do the rotation thing that @AJgoal is suggesting until one or more of the kids "show me" and force some decisions.

I think it was AJ who said it (may have been you) but I also wonder whether Hakstol is capable of such a rotation or if someone sits for weeks at a time until Hak sours on someone for not brushing their teeth in a counter-clockwise motion and then someone else sits for weeks.   

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlson isn't coming to Philly.

He is the top defenseman on the market.

It will be a bidding war between Detriot and Toronto I think.

Top dollar is what he will get.

Pass.

My strategy and best-case scenario is this. Trade Voracek, Hagg, Elliott  to Edmonton for Cam Talbot and a pick (or fill in some scenario that could get us Talbot). THAT scenario might not work from a salary cap perspctive..but something along those lines. Then you have Talbot and Hart as a tandem. Not bad, at least from a talent standpoint in net.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I'm just thinking that Hutton has inflated numbers because of the team in front of him. 

Well if that was the case why didn't it inflate Jake Allen's numbers???

He posted a 906% ...sorry i can't get behind the idea that the team in front of a goalie boosted his stats a full 25% in front of one guy and not the other.

Hutton allowed only 2.09 gaa in front of the same team that Jake posted a 2.75 gaa.

Dude is certainly worth kicking the tires on i think....if for no other reason than to bring him to replace Neuvy. I would feel better with a Hutton/Elliott tandem than standing pat.

Just my 2 cents without trading away assets for another goalie option.

I like Varlamov but i can't see the Avs trading him.

I like Grubauer too but then again how much of the team in front of him is the reason he posted 923% 2.35 gaa????

But then again that same team he put up 837% 4.57 gaa in the 2 games he started before getting yanked for Holtby.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Dude is certainly worth kicking the tires on i think....if for no other reason than to bring him to replace Neuvy. I would feel better with a Hutton/Elliott tandem than standing pat.

Just my 2 cents without trading away assets for another goalie option.

Yeah, I thin this is a viable option provided Armstrong is dumb enough to let him walk.  And he may be.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like Varlamov but i can't see the Avs trading him.

I really don't like him, but agree that I don't see the Avs trading him.  Plus, they tend to hold out for absurd returns, and I want no part of that.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like Grubauer too

Me too.  I don't know how likely this would be, though.   Without trading a ton of assets, Hutton is probably the cheapest low risk/decent reward move.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well you could resolve the situation once and for all. Buy this guy out. Problem solved i say.

I know we don't like the contract, but it's actually manageable at this point.   For all the kvetching we've done--myself definitely included--I'm not in a hurry to just cut him.  I don't think he played poorly.  Keep him away from the top pairing, and I'm okay with him (despite his being paid for top pair).

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I'm only asking because if no one really carries three goalies, it's unlikely the Flyers would. 

However unlikely, I don't see why not.  They never use the 23rd spot on the roster anyway.

They're in an odd situation wherein their three guys most likely to get NHL minutes are coming off surgeries and the other guy they have left just wasn't very good in his NHL time, but one of the best if not the best goalie to ever come out of the WHL is ready for AHL time next year.

They simultaneously have too many NHL goalies AND not enough decent or healthy NHL goalies while at the same time need to get their prospect some major minor league minutes.  

I'd say delegate Neuvirth, but you'd have to send him to the ECHL to make sure he doesn't take time away from Hart.

I'd say buy him out, but they don't need the money and I think this is actually a much more useful way to burn off the rest of his contract.  

Does anyone know when they have to decide about Sandstrom? Do they get camp to decide?  Any preseason games?  If they can determine that he looks passable as an NHL backup, I'd go ahead and dismiss Neuvy and figure something out with Stolie and Lyon as the third man in such a way to get Carter Hart the minutes he needs (but not too many as to break the kid).

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I agree about Reese. I felt that was a rare case of Hextall doing something out of pressure rather than, as he so often says, what is 'right.' I'm sure we don't know the half of what really went on, but it did feel like the 'wrong' move at the time just because Reese actually criticized the organization.

I'm actually still mad at Hextall about that.  I'll try to see his POV on a lot of things, but in that one he just screwed up.  And he's making the same mistake now over and over again with Hakstol.  I know he doesn't want to meddle in the head coach's responsibilities and he wants to maintain the order of command and blah blah blah and yes, I see the reasons and respect that.  But sometimes your head coach is just wrong and sometimes he's wrong in a way that costs you a goal, or a game or Steve Mason for the playoffs... and other times he's wrong in a way that makes you have to trade a draft pick for Petr Mrazek ahead of the deadine because he's literally broken your 2 NHL goalies for the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW.  

He could have learned the lesson when Berube risked Mason's knee by forcing him to play before the guy was ready.  But he fired the first good goalie coach in forever instead because Reese had the cajones to say, "This is stupid.  Chief's just desperate to make the playoffs to save his job"  

I'll forgive Hextall all the Dale Weises in the world, but it's this stuff that gets my blood angry.  Somone has to be able to sit Hak down and as of yet, Hextall ain't doing it and that is a problem.  

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Without trading a ton of assets, Hutton is probably the cheapest low risk/decent reward move.

Is all i am saying to.

I am not promising a Cup as soon as he is signed i just like his game more than any goalie they have signed.

In fact more than anyone else left in free agency too. Which would be a great reason the Blues don't let him leave too.

But it's up to Carter if he wants to leave i think.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well you could resolve the situation once and for all. Buy this guy out. Problem solved i say.

I don't know how to break this to you, but down the stretch run into the playoffs and in the playoffs themselves MacDonald/Sanheim was this team's most effective pairing.  There was a stretch from march into april when they were one of the most effective pairings in the NHL.  Now granted, they weren't playing top pairing minutes or match-ups, but essentially you couldn't ask for more of a second pairing. 

Against the Penguins, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that MacDonald was the team's best Defenseman.  THis may have been because he was the healthiest one, but none the less... there he was.  

At this point, not only do I think MacDonald isn't going anywhere, but I suspect that might not be a bad thing.  Gudas and Manning were atrocious.  1/2 of that problem is solved.  The other half needs to be moved or sat down to the 7th man role to make room for Morin.    The problem I foresee is if he's still around Hakstol has a tendency to play the sucky guys regardless of anything if they're older... Hextall almost has to take that option off his plate, but I guess we'll see.  

I'd be fine with Radko as our 7th man if Hakstol could be trusted to dress him only when he needs to. 

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I know we don't like the contract, but it's actually manageable at this point.

It' not about his contract for me anymore it's a bout his roster spot.

So flip a coin either Mcdud and Gudas goes to free up a spot for Morin, Sanheim and Hagg.

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Does anyone know when they have to decide about Sandstrom? Do they get camp to decide?  Any preseason games?  If they can determine that he looks passable as an NHL backup, I'd go ahead and dismiss Neuvy and figure something out with Stolie and Lyon as the third man in such a way to get Carter Hart the minutes he needs (but not too many as to break the kid).

The SHL season starts earlier than the NHL, so they'd have to decide whether they want to bring him over ahead of camp, basically. It's likely he stays in Sweden until his season ends there, then comes over for the tail end of the AHL season.

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

ong post to say you're right, but that I think that's still coming provided the coach plays along.  

Rux:

As my mom would have said, "from your lips to God's ears."  I think the Hextall-Hakstol experiment has two years.  We have been saying "two years" for a long time but I suspect this is the end of the road.  If we are not an elite team in two years--a confernce semi or better--I think we declare the experiment null and void and move on.  Hakstol may not be the wartime consigliere.  Right now, we see if he can develop.  I am fearful a coach change now will be disruptive and not allow us to judge "system versus talent."  That said, I am losing patience and wonder if we draft folks with the right stuff?

Just now, King Knut said:

I don't know how to break this to you, but down the stretch run into the playoffs and in the playoffs themselves MacDonald/Sanheim was this team's most effective pairing.

Fine then get rid of Gudas or just make hi the 7th guy then.

I want Provorov, Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim and Morin in the line up..........don't care how you make it happen work it out!!!

Is all i am saying to.

I am not promising a Cup as soon as he is signed i just like his game more than any goalie they have signed.

In fact more than anyone else left in free agency too. Which would be a great reason the Blues don't let him leave too.

But it's up to Carter if he wants to leave i think.

He's UFA and they're already paying Jake Allen 4.5 million per. 

I'm sure Hextall could probably sign him if he really wanted to.  

There's just too much to sort out for Hextall and the goalies.  Too many variables.  Too many options.  

So flip a coin either Mcdud and Gudas goes to free up a spot for Morin, Sanheim and Hagg.

It's got to be Gudas.  The suspensions have got in his head and he can't play Hakstol's system or whatever, I don't know.  He looks lost in the woods out there.  MacDonald played better than he has as a Flyer in the last few months of the season.  

The larger problem with all of them is that SOMEONE is doing a terrible job coaching them.  Just god awful positioning and placement.  I don't know if it's Murphy or Hak or whoever, but it HAS TO STOP.  They're making mistakes that coaches start ironing out of players in peewees.  

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The SHL season starts earlier than the NHL, so they'd have to decide whether they want to bring him over ahead of camp, basically. It's likely he stays in Sweden until his season ends there, then comes over for the tail end of the AHL season.

I was finding SHL playoff games on TV right up until the end of the NHL season so that doesn't bode well.

If he hadn't been hurt last year too, I'd say bring him up and move Neuvy... but if I'm honest with myself, him getting a healthy year in wouldn't be bad... as long as they think his swedish team is taking care of his injuries properly... which i can't imagine they aren't, but you never know.

All this talk of draft picks, trades, UFAs.  It makes me dizzy.  This is the first year in the cap era where they have flexibility to significantly upgrade the roster during the offseason.  They have cap space.  No meaningful RFAs to resign.  They have two first round picks.  They have some decent prospects they could dangle in a trade.  They have roster players on reasonable contracts that could be attractive in the trade market.  Really couldn't be set up much better.

But the team is in a weird place.  They are not legitimate Cup contenders.  Prospects like Hart and Frost are still a few years away from being meaningful contributors.  Giroux and Voracek had great years, but are getting older.  The team is heading into years five and four of Hextall's and Hakstol's respective tenures.  So, with all that flexibility, what should they do?

Go after Tavares?  I think that means no more Simmonds and probably no other UFAs.

Move up in the draft?  Montreal needs a lot of help on their current roster and with their prospect pool.  Chicago or Detroit might actually be willing to trade as well.

Package a roster player/prospect/picks and try to get a young, offensively gifted forward?  Who?

Try to pick up some reasonably deals in the UFA market?  Bozak?  JVR?

I think most would agree that 3C, the third pairing and goaltending need to be improved.  I would add LW scoring to the list.  Would probably add a 4th line PKer as well.

I think the 3C will come in UFA.  There seems to be some decent options there.

As for the third pairing, I think Sanheim will move into that role full time.  The question is whether Morin earns a spot and, right now, I'm thinking he won't.  I think Hextall hits UFA looking for a 7th dman.  Now, if he's able to trade Gudas, then that opens a spot for Morin.  But given that Morin missed an entire season, I'd be shocked if Hextall were willing to take that risk.

As for goaltending, I don't see anything in the UFA market that moves the needle.  Maybe they move on from Neuvirth (how?  buyout?  trade throw-in?) and sign someone.  But I don't see the goaltending situation improving much next year.

LW:  Unless something materializes in the trade market, which seems unlikely to me, go hard after Evander Kane.  I guess the fall back would be JVR.  I might approach Arizona about a trade for Max Domi.

Or maybe just go all-in on Tavares.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fine then get rid of Gudas or just make hi the 7th guy then.

I want Provorov, Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim and Morin in the line up..........don't care how you make it happen work it out!!!

Right on. Right on. Right on. 

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He is already signed a contract to play one ore year over in the SHL so he will be a Phantom after season concludes come next April.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's got to be Gudas.

No arguments here....

...after watching him become the Pens best weapon in that game 6 i am done with this guy.

I'd take a box of bent pucks for him. 

He doesn't hit any more and he can't do it without being suspended....he can't defend down low or at the top of the crease just what good is he???

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'll flip the coin, but I got to be honest:  I'm heavily altering the coin so that it has Gudas on both sides.

15 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

That said, I am losing patience and wonder if we draft folks with the right stuff?

Time will tell, of course, but I think we do actually.   The problem is that it takes a few years between draft and appearance on the NHL roster and then likely another year to get acclimated.    There are some good kids coming.  There will be some swings and misses there, too, but they're coming.

You did read the thread title before clicking right??? Maybe you should just look away then....

Relax.  It was a comment about the various directions in which they could go.  Not complaining about the substance of the thread.

Archived