Wilson to have hearing on Aston-Reese hit, start the defense

nossagog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Maybe the Penguins should send their players to keep your head up school instead of the How To Be A Whiny Little Diving Bitch school that they all go to, including the way to much hair gel coach.

Stay classy! :cheers:

2 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

B21 when you tell the truth people's feelings get hurt. Stay overly sensitive.

I'm sure that's it.  It's not like he was whining about the home fans booing him affecting his game. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Oh wait - he can't whine since his jaw was broken.

Wilson is obviously leaving his feet to make contact with the head because it's "down". 

SMH

Wilson was leaving his feet just prior to impact.

He is a repeat offender, two other times this preseason / season.

He also was gliding in from center ice, then took 1-2 strides just before hitting him.

Unless the league starts to hand out suspensions, meaning 2+ games for each of these hits that cause injury, then we will still have a compromised sport with our players being oft-injured for, really, no reason.

I just looked at the video again, my mistake, he did not take 1-2 strides, he was gliding in from center ice and then took 1 push to propel himself into Aston-Reece.

This is FD19372...but somehow I got locked out...so I'm using another account and my password isn't logging me in. Plus, I can't log in with Facebook. Anyway, On one hand, Wilson clearly has a few seconds to pull up before hitting Aston-Reese. He came in from a considerable distance to lower the boom on him. At the same time, though, Aston-Reese could have protected himself a bit better from the hit and stepped away before getting hit in the jaw. He appears to have seen the hit coming, and didn't brace himself nor did he move away sufficiently. Wilson has a reputation for doing these types of things, however. So, base on all of these things I think Wilson should get 2 games. Basically, one for the hit and one for the resulting injury.

10 minutes ago, 1686_1451508734 said:

This is FD19372...but somehow I got locked out...so I'm using another account and my password isn't logging me in. Plus, I can't log in with Facebook. Anyway, On one hand, Wilson clearly has a few seconds to pull up before hitting Aston-Reese. He came in from a considerable distance to lower the boom on him. At the same time, though, Aston-Reese could have protected himself a bit better from the hit and stepped away before getting hit in the jaw. He appears to have seen the hit coming, and didn't brace himself nor did he move away sufficiently. Wilson has a reputation for doing these types of things, however. So, base on all of these things I think Wilson should get 2 games. Basically, one for the hit and one for the resulting injury.

@hf101 ... can you see why his account is locked out?

Other than to say the hit started shoulder to shoulder there really isn't anything to defend.

Wilson took the opportunity to lower the boom on an opponent. 

He left his feet, much of the contact is with ZAR's head. guys that he hits wind up on the IR.

He should be suspended. 

Truly, I wonder what can be done about this.  There seems to be a fundamental disregard for player safety amongst the players. 

Is it because they are all armored up and feel invincible ? 

The self-regulating argument loses with me because people feel the need to retaliate after any hit with a fight. 

The "code" is broken, even the Pens reaction, "well, he shouldn't be smiling.... what?". I'm not sure where the violence lost its legitimacy with the game, the fights often feel like beanball bs. 

I don't know, I like the physicality of the game, I love the speed. I never minded seeing guys finish their checks, within reason... there are going to be injuries because of those characteristics of the game. 

Guys should be able to make a hit. It shouldn't end the other guy's year or month though.

pretty sure we can all agree if Wilson had the opportunity to accidentally do this same exact thing with the same exact outcome, he would have done it on purpose. i don't think this guy gets, or should get, any benefit of the doubt if there's a question about a hit. 

38 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Other than to say the hit started shoulder to shoulder there really isn't anything to defend.

Wilson took the opportunity to lower the boom on an opponent. 

He left his feet, much of the contact is with ZAR's head. guys that he hits wind up on the IR.

He should be suspended. 

Truly, I wonder what can be done about this.  There seems to be a fundamental disregard for player safety amongst the players. 

Is it because they are all armored up and feel invincible ? 

The self-regulating argument loses with me because people feel the need to retaliate after any hit with a fight. 

The "code" is broken, even the Pens reaction, "well, he shouldn't be smiling.... what?". I'm not sure where the violence lost its legitimacy with the game, the fights often feel like beanball bs. 

I don't know, I like the physicality of the game, I love the speed. I never minded seeing guys finish their checks, within reason... there are going to be injuries because of those characteristics of the game. 

Guys should be able to make a hit. It shouldn't end the other guy's year or month though.

He launches and drives upward. Someone wants to argue he left his feet because of the hit, yeah, it's close.  I think he's launching and driving upward.  I think the initial point of contact is shoulder, but it really appears the head is the target.  

It's not this clown's first rodeo. Give him at least 2 games. 

It seems like every game Wilson has a "questionable" hit, or one that's just plain dirty. This goes back (to at least) his days on Plymouth in junior where the Caps took him midway through the first round, and it wasn't for his scoring.

His hits are scary. I don't think there's a player in the league that throws as many devastating hits that are on the edge or over it as often as Wilson. The guy clearly has no regard for his fellow players safety.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

It seems like every game Wilson has a "questionable" hit, or one that's just plain dirty. This goes back (to at least) his days on Plymouth in junior where the Caps took him midway through the first round, and it wasn't for his scoring.

His hits are scary. I don't think there's a player in the league that throws as many devastating hits that are on the edge or over it as often as Wilson. The guy clearly has no regard for his fellow players safety.

Kronwall-lite?

I love good hard hitting hockey as much as anyone and other than Rux I am probably the second biggest Wilson fan in here but that was clear leaving the feet targeting the head. At least a game, probably if it were regular season longer.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Not since The Neutering of Gudas

6 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

B21 when you tell the truth people's feelings get hurt. Stay overly sensitive.

It only hurts people if you respect the opinion of the other person,  I think B21 is quite safe here.

2 hours ago, B21 said:

Kronwall-lite?

Extra Lite. 

I don't know. There was a certain art to Kronwall's.  Just Baby Huey at the supermarket for Wilson. 

46 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I love good hard hitting hockey as much as anyone and other than Rux I am probably the second biggest Wilson fan in here but that was clear leaving the feet targeting the head. At least a game, probably if it were regular season longer.

Is that code for you don't like him either? Lol

Okay, I'm done golfing, had my post round beer, came home, and have my pre-dinner mahgaritta in my hand.  Oh yeah, and the Bolts B's is on the TV at 3-1.   So I have some thoughts on this topic.   Obviously, since I'm a Pens fan, my opinion is biased here.    I have two points to make, the first there should be no bias in what I say, the second, on the actual hit, well yeah.

First, IMHO the NHL should not have ANYTHING to do with the DOPeS. For their own good financially, they need to just throw up their hands and turn this over to the NHLPA.   Honestly, no matter what they do here, the NHLPA will jump in to defend the aggressor. It always does, and the NHL caves.   At some point, just like with the NFL(oh wait, I think they've already started), the NHL is going to be sued almost to non existance by ex-players for head injuries due the the NHL's lack of concern with hits to the head.    Let the NHLPA have the DOPes, let them take the blame.   If the players want to let this keep happening, so be it.     When the NHL says, "Yeah, that was a hit to the head, but that ones okay", they've screwed themselves.   Let the players police themselves.    If they don't do a good job at it, it's their own fault.  

My second point, albiet biased because of this case, is this whole nonsense of "Well his tippy toe was still on the ice prior to the hit, and he only left his feet after the feet" is the most insane defense of these types of hits.  No, I never played hockey, but I've played plenty of contact sports, and have orbital bone and dental damage from a few hits. If you are going to hit me, PLEASE leave your feet prior to the hit.   Its really simple physics.  The moment the skates leave the ice, the body starts to decelerate because there is no force behind it any more.  So when a hit occurs, with the deceleration, and the "two opposing forces" thing", the brunt of the blow is actually less than if someones feet are still anchored to the ice accelerating towards the head.   The leaving the feet thing is for charging, but it used as a defense every time these hits come up. IT'S WORSE IF THE FEET ARE STILL ANCHORED.

Look, if you don't believe me, I have a simple experiment for you.    This works especially great if you have a small child in your home.  Take the child, and put them on a chair.  For safety reasons, put a helmet on them.    Now take one of those light little balls that all kids seem to have, about basketball sized,  and put it in your hands to make a two handed basketball pass.   Space yourself so that you are far enough away from the child so that when you step forward and push the ball as hard as you can, you are still six inches from their head when you release the ball up towards to his head. Now you should probably do this outside as you don't want the ball bouncing into something in the house as the ball, without acceleration and anchor, bounces off the childs head and bounces away.    As step two of this experiment, move one foot forward and repeat.  When the police are interviewing you in the hospital, tell them at least your feet were still on the ground.  Good luck.

Archived