Sanheim done

8 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

Had a knee on knee collision and is done for the series.  Hopefully it's nothing too serious, this was a good opportunity to get some big minutes in some big games.

Ah, that really, really sucks.  Looks like Saturday's game was messy by the boxscore.

Edit: Didn't realize injury happened in Game 1.

Took it in game one. Androkis (sp?) said he was walking around after game 2 with no boot, brace, or crutches, so hopefully just a bad sprain.

5 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

Had a knee on knee collision and is done for the series.  Hopefully it's nothing too serious, this was a good opportunity to get some big minutes in some big games.

No crutches and is done for THIS round is all that is reported so it can't be as bad as it looked....thankfully.

Great, and now Morin is down with a knee injury!  

The Phantoms played the longest game in AHL history last night and won.  Lyon made 90 some saves and Myers logged a full 60 minutes (and didn't get hurt, yay!)

54 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

It maybe time to shut him down for the year and look forward to getting ready for next year.

1 hour ago, sekkes85 said:

Jeezus.  That's just terrible news for the kid.  Same knee?  What happened?

1 hour ago, sekkes85 said:

The Phantoms played the longest game in AHL history last night and won.  Lyon made 90 some saves and Myers logged a full 60 minutes (and didn't get hurt, yay!)

Ah, the good news.  Maybe Lyon gets a legit shot a back next year.  Good to hear re: Myers.  Heard he's had a pretty good season.  Is that right?

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Jeezus.  That's just terrible news for the kid.  Same knee?  What happened?

Damn i hope it was as bad as thought....

praying for the kid.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Poor Sam...

Can't tell if his knee hits the boards or what. Hope it's not to bad.

It doesn't look good at all.  Reports are that it's definitly his knee and not his groin again... which just sucks.

If it's an MCL, that's not so bad, but an ACL for this guy... good lord.  and he was just getting some rust off!  

8 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

He's had a rough year with the injury bug.  People are giving him the "injury prone" label which just isn't true.  Hopefully it's not a ACL tear and just a sprain.

It looks like he gets his knee seriously twisted when their skates get tangled up and the Charlotte guy tries to skate away, right?  It's so hard to tell from these angles at that speed.  I guess it's possible he got his skate caught in a rut on the way into the boards and lost control at the last second.  

I have no idea, but my only hope is that nothing seemed to be moving fast or hard enough to be of OBVIOUS trauma.  Like you say, hopefull it's a sprain and not a tear and if it's a tear, we can always pray for an MCL.  But damn... can the universe just lay off Sam Morin for 20 minutes? 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It maybe time to shut him down for the year and look forward to getting ready for next year.

They may not have a choice if it's a tear, but after a groin injury cost in 80% of the season because he tried to play through it, I'd have to say yes to the above.  

There is no earthly reason to "give up" on Samuel Morin yet.

There are enough guys in the system and some cap room available to sign a veteran stay at home defensman.

I say let the young guy get healthy, and keep him in mind for a mid season call-up next year.

folks are jumping the gun with the" injury prone yada- yada" busniess. 

3 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

He's had a rough year with the injury bug.  People are giving him the "injury prone" label which just isn't true.  Hopefully it's not a ACL tear and just a sprain.

right this right here is the attitude to take, the guy was always "a project"  the other project that has his size and skating ability is still dominant at 40, and he took a couple of NHL years/teams until he became ZEDANO CHARA, he spent a few years being a gangly clown shoe. With Samuel it is not a sprint but a marathon.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

There is no earthly reason to "give up" on Samuel Morin yet.

There are enough guys in the system and some cap room available to sign a veteran stay at home defensman.

I say let the young guy get healthy, and keep him in mind for a mid season call-up next year.

folks are jumping the gun with the" injury prone yada- yada" busniess. 

right this right here is the attitude to take, the guy was always "a project"  the other project that has his size and skating ability is still dominant at 40, and he took a couple of NHL years/teams until he became ZEDANO CHARA, he spent a few years being a gangly clown shoe. With Samuel it is not a sprint but a marathon.

Myers has the higher ceiling of the two players and is likely more NHL ready at this point. Morin does bring that toughness that we'd all like to see. Hopefully the bad luck stops and he gets his chance.

Chara couldn't skate like Morin at this age.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but he's either on the big club next year, on LTIR, or somewhere else. Because he's not going to pass through waivers.

I do wonder if the Flyers make a move to clear an extra spot for both him and Myers. That would be something.

41 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but he's either on the big club next year, on LTIR, or somewhere else. Because he's not going to pass through waivers.

I do wonder if the Flyers make a move to clear an extra spot for both him and Myers. That would be something.

I think they do. It's clear that MacDonald won't go anywhere, but if I'm Gudas, I'm having a realtor on speed dial and I'm submitting a list of teams to Hextall with regards to preference of where to move to. As for Morin, I mentioned this earlier, but this year has been a freak year in terms of injury. For his career, he's always been reliably healthy, minus the broken jaw that he suffered one year and he still played with a face shield. I've got high hopes for Morin still.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:44 PM, flyercanuck said:

Myers has the higher ceiling of the two players and is likely more NHL ready at this point. Morin does bring that toughness that we'd all like to see. Hopefully the bad luck stops and he gets his chance.

Chara couldn't skate like Morin at this age.

Myers has the leg up on Morin just because he's been healthy and played last year.  He has a higher ceiling in many ways, but a defensive squad is all about balancing the pairings.  This is why they were so friggin' atrocious for a few years, they weren't all bad players, they were just incredibly imbalanced and couldn't cobble together a complementary pairing to save their lives.  

There is plenty of room for both Morin and Myers.  They may even make a great 2nd pairing together someday.  The problem is that Morin is no longer waiver exempt, so he'll have to make the team.  

If we assume Sanheim has cleared Manning's spot freely (really stupid to have been platooning them IMHO.  It would have been better to be platooning Gudas and Manning).  Sanheim and MacDonald were a strangely effective pairing last year.  I'd have to see something special from another pairing to break them up this coming season, let alone to ever sit Sanheim outright ever again (seriously WTF is wrong with Hakstol?)

To me, if I'm Hextall, I'm moving Gudas if I'm able.  It's just not going to work here for him.  Trading him will be better for him and for us.  I just hope it can be to someplace we don't play often so he can't hospitalize any of our guys when they start to let him hit again.

At that point,  Hagg and Morin will have to fight it out (may the healthiest player win) for the third pairing with Myers as far as I'm concerned.

I was unimpressed with Hagg last year.  I know what they liked about him was how boring he was (i.e. he calmed things down), but the more and more I watched, the more he was just out of position, blowing coverage, and making poor decisions.  I know the argument is that the good things he does are almost invisible, but I wouldn't mind having a player who does visible good things as well.  

The real question for me is Morin's knee.  It may be advantageous to ease him into the season very slowly, as I believe whatever is wrong with him now is a direct result of diving too quickly back into playing hockey before he was in game shape.  He just looked like the kind of thing that happens when your body just isn't 100% used to playing hockey again.  

It's funny... it's the AHL, so it literally took Sam Morin to injure Sam Morin... like three times this year.  

On 5/10/2018 at 7:55 PM, AJgoal said:

Do they need to?  I've been on this kick.  The team NEVER carries the full 23 man roster.  Last year when they carried 8 D men for like a week, it was scandalous. 

WTF cares?  

I know in the long term the idea was that they want the guys playing every night somewhere rather than sitting in the press box with the big club, but with Morin in particular I don't think that's the thing to do anymore (even if they could, which don't bother telling me again because I know they can't).  

For my money, IF he is healthy at the beginning of the season, just keep him as the 8th man and ease him ever so slowly back into things to let his damn body heal itself for the NHL level.  The guy lost most of the season because he didn't tell anyone about an injury that he later tried to rush back too quickly from.  It's my belief that rushing into the playoffs before his body was up to "game speed" is what caused this latest thing (which he clearly did to himself rather than getting hit or something).  Just give him the damn roster spot and be done with it so he can focus on doing what is right for the team (which is him getting his body together).  

All in all, I'd just as soon see Gudas traded because I don't think his presence here is working out for anyone anymore (except maybe the Penguins).  But if they don't, I'd rather see Radko as the 7th man and Morin as the 8th with one extra Forward until Morin seems (after close monitoring throughout the first half) more than ready to go... then he's the 7th until he wins a nightly spot outright, which I actually don't think will take very long if he can get himself healthy.    

Honestly, if they'd have given him the spot last year over Hagg as God and everyone else intended, he'd have had a few weeks off for a groin thing in the fall and probably been a monster for them by April.  

Ghost Provo

Mac Sanheim

Hagg Myers

Actually that's all a lie, in my idea world, they trade Gudas, make Morin the 7th man, carry an extra forward as usual and make Neuvy the 23rd man so he can suck up all those practice minutes... but I know I've said that before.  It's just a smart precaution that seems incredibly necessary with the injury history of the Flyers top three goalies right now.

It looks like Sanheim will return to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms’ lineup Saturday for Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final against the Toronto Marlies. The injury, reportedly a sprain of his medial collateral ligament, isn’t enough to derail his season, but it kept him off the ice for the last four games against Charlotte.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2018/05/18/extended-season-travis-sanheim-still-rolling-phantoms/623021002/

13 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I don't care whether he plays for the Phantoms or not...as long as he's healthy. If he's good to go then fine. If he's getting the green light from McCrossin...PLEASE SHUT DOWN HIS SEASON NOW!!!

Archived