It was a great run while it lasted

Yet another great game by the Pens and the Caps to end the series.   All credit to the Capitals this series, they were the better team.  Feel bad for Murray tonight, deserved better.   It was a great run with the two cups, but winning a third really was doubtful. Great for the team to keep fighting till the end. 

Hero's will abound for the Caps, but the goat of this series for the Pens will be Kris Letang. He was real bad this series, capping it off with the turnover at the opposing blue line that led to the goal.   He was a key figure in three of the Pens losses.  I have to think that the Pens need to rethink how much they're spending on his contract, especially with the coming of age of Brian Doumolin.  The defensive blunders can no longer be covered by his offensive skills. 

5 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Yet another great game by the Pens and the Caps to end the series.   All credit to the Capitals this series, they were the better team.  Feel bad for Murray tonight, deserved better.   It was a great run with the two cups, but winning a third really was doubtful. Great for the team to keep fighting till the end. 

Hero's will abound for the Caps, but the goat of this series for the Pens will be Kris Letang. He was real bad this series, capping it off with the turnover at the opposing blue line that led to the goal.   He was a key figure in three of the Pens losses.  I have to think that the Pens need to rethink how much they're spending on his contract, especially with the coming of age of Brian Doumolin.  The defensive blunders can no longer be covered by his offensive skills. 

Totally agree! Good luck to the Capitals in the ECF against Tampa Bay! 

Maybe the Pens could trade Letang and get a few draft picks? Does he have a NMC in his contract? 

On 5/7/2018 at 10:15 PM, nossagog said:

Reading up in the PG and Tribune Review....I think JR (now the oldest GM in the league at 69) knows he needs to upgrade the depth on D. Of course, harder to do if they deal Letang. Sounds like Sprong will be top 9 (maybe top 6) next year unless his camp is a disaster. I suppose that gives them some flexibility.  A little cap space would be nice; I'd expect to hear Letang, Kessel and Brassard mentioned in trade rumors over the summer.  In any event, maybe an offseason that's is a few extra weeks longer will do them good. 3 in 4 would still be impressive. :VeryCool:

On 5/7/2018 at 10:25 PM, notfondajane said:

Totally agree! Good luck to the Capitals in the ECF against Tampa Bay! 

Maybe the Pens could trade Letang and get a few draft picks? Does he have a NMC in his contract? 

I don't think the Pens are in the "trade vets for draft picks" stage...they're in win now mode. IF they can trade Letangs big contract for immediate defensive help that would be the road I'd think they'd take at the present time.

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think the Pens are in the "trade vets for draft picks" stage...they're in win now mode. IF they can trade Letangs big contract for immediate defensive help that would be the road I'd think they'd take at the present time.

agree the Crosby/Malkin window is still open.

Highlighting the "team sport" aspect of the game though, even those two great players, playing along side other ++ at worst players, aren't a slam dunk to win the cup.

As I said earlier, trading 58 for cap space...doesn't seem like the path toward more parades though. 

That could be my emotion mind, or it could be he's a known quantity who when on his game is legit top 30 player in the league. He wasn't great on playing on his off side vs the caps but that is why it's his 'off" side. I don't know who comes back in trade, who signs with the money made available that makes the Pens better than they are. 

Glad I am not making the decision, I think Rutherford should continue to "go for it".  I don't know how "going for it" is best accomplished though. 

On 5/9/2018 at 2:03 PM, B21 said:

Reading up in the PG and Tribune Review....I think JR (now the oldest GM in the league at 69) knows he needs to upgrade the depth on D. Of course, harder to do if they deal Letang. Sounds like Sprong will be top 9 (maybe top 6) next year unless his camp is a disaster. I suppose that gives them some flexibility.  A little cap space would be nice; I'd expect to hear Letang, Kessel and Brassard mentioned in trade rumors over the summer.  In any event, maybe an offseason that's is a few extra weeks longer will do them good. 3 in 4 would still be impressive. :VeryCool:

Here's hoping Kessell stays!

Was he playing with an injury during the Capitals series? He played as if there was some thing wrong! He seemed to be struggling! 

On 5/11/2018 at 9:23 AM, flyercanuck said:

The Pens could use an upgrade on defense! It will be an interesting summer off season! 

42 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

The Pens could use an upgrade on defense! It will be an interesting summer off season! 

We have a veteran defenceman available who's name is synonymous with a chain that flips more burgers than Letang does head snaps.

Could be had for...say....an 8th round pick?

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We have a veteran defenceman available who's name is synonymous with a chain that flips more burgers than Letang does head snaps.

Lol! I pass on that!😈

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

Someone call Peter Chiarelli. He could be looking to move that 10th overall pick... maybe you can move a sock puppet and a bag of pucks for that and Klefbom:VeryCool:

On 5/14/2018 at 5:06 PM, TheHockeytown said:

Someone call Peter Chiarelli. He could be looking to move that 10th overall pick... maybe you can move a sock puppet and a bag of pucks for that and Klefbom:VeryCool:

Lol! Good! 

My own two cents

The team is not dead. The run is likely not over. Crosby/Malkin both still near eilite level, solid supporting cast among the forwards, Kessel still around.

Murray has to find the gear that won a couple of cups, still very young and talented. The defense needs more than tweaked, it needs overhauled but the organization is in good hands and sometimes a loss makes you take a step back and see where you are with cold hard clinical eyes. I think the Pens run still, at the least has three years or so before calling it done.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

My own two cents

The team is not dead. The run is likely not over. Crosby/Malkin both still near eilite level, solid supporting cast among the forwards, Kessel still around.

Murray has to find the gear that won a couple of cups, still very young and talented. The defense needs more than tweaked, it needs overhauled but the organization is in good hands and sometimes a loss makes you take a step back and see where you are with cold hard clinical eyes. I think the Pens run still, at the least has three years or so before calling it done.

I'm hoping that it runs a bit longer than 3 years! 

On 5/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, flyercanuck said:

Roy Rodgers plays for the Flyers?!?!?!

Archived