Rod Brind'Amour named Head Coach

hf101

Is this a good hire for the Canes?  Obviously, the recent changes appear owner driven. 

After seven seasons as the Hurricanes' assistant coach, the 47 yr old Rod Brind'Amour, 47 will be the fifth head coach since the team's arrival in North Carolina in 1997. Also, the team also announced that Don Waddell will officially serve as president and general manager.  Brindy was the Canes forwards and PP coach for much of the last 7 years a PP that ranked 22nd in the league last season.

So changes from last year to now are:

Start of 2017-2018
Owner: Peter Karmanos Jr.
President: Don Waddell
General Manager: Ron Francis
Special Advisor: Joe Nieuwendyk
Director of Hockey Operations/Assitant GM/Charlotte Checkers Head Coach: Mike Vellucci
Assistant GM: Ricky Olczyk, Brian Tatum
Manager of Analytics: Eric Tulsky
Head Coach: Bill Peters
Assistant Coaches: Rod Brind'amour, Steve Smith

Currently
Owner: Thomas Dundon
President/GM: Don Waddell
Director of Hockey Ops/Assistant GM/Charlotte Checkers Head Coach: Mike Vellucci
Senior VP of Hockey Operations: Rick Dudley
VP of Hockey Operations: Paul Krepelka
Assistant GM: Ricky Olczyk, Brian Tatum
Manager of Analytics: Eric Tulsky
Head Coach: Rod Brind'amour
Assistant Coach: Steve Smith

I think Brind'Amour has the motivation and mindset to build a championship team in Raleigh, but if you are trying to build a new identity is holding on to pieces of the past the best decision for this franchise to move forward?

I think BrindAmour is a good hire. He's done his time as an assistant. As a player his game relied more on his work ethic than god-given talent...that's a plus as a coach.

I'm not so sure on Waddell as the man supplying the talent.

I'm not sure what to think about Brind'Amour.  I'm happy for him and hope he does well.  He's done his time as an assistant and, like FC said, was a work ethic and cerebral player, so that's a plus.  

I'm with Flyercanuck, though, about Waddell.   He had a long(ish) tenure in Atlanta so I guess he gets another shot, but I cannot say I was impressed and he made some bizarre moves.   I know expansion team and all that, but they didn't win a single playoff game in 10 or 11 years.

I don't know what kind of candidate supply there is, but I there has got to be better out there somewhere.   Or someone new without a decade of futility and move of organization.

25 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

New owner comes on board and promises a new way of doing business, immediately hires legendary ex-member of the team as Head Coach.

Go figure.  It's kind of like coming on board saying you'll drain the swamp and then relentlessly throw a bunch of #### in it.

Having Brindy coach might turn out like Mike Ditka....he will expect players to put out an effort like he did, and it will rarely happen. Ditka quit when he could not get the players to muster his desired level of effort. 

23 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Having Brindy coach might turn out like Mike Ditka....he will expect players to put out an effort like he did, and it will rarely happen. Ditka quit when he could not get the players to muster his desired level of effort. 

After winning a Super Bowl I might add....

Archived