Western Conference Championship: #2 Winnipeg Jets vs. #3 Vegas Golden Knights

hf101

Western Conference Championship: #2 Winnipeg Jets vs. #3 Vegas Golden Knights   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Series?

• Jets Sweep 4-0
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Golden Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

See, I actually view it as an embarrassment to the league. Want to win a cup? Just start a brand new team. I don't view it as warm and fuzzy PR if a brand new expansion team wins the whole thing. I'd view it as a joke. 

Then again, giving people jobs or awards with absolutely no experience suddenly seems to be the American way. Bigly. 

Go Jets and Bolts. 

Don't want to see an expansion team win the whole thing either. 

But if that happens and it proves an embarrassment, maybe 

some damage control can be done by turning such a Golden Knight story 

into a book about how to be a successful CEO the Vegas way. :IDunnoSmiley: 

But if the Knights win the :stanleycup: this year and if Seattle wins it in 

its inaugural year, I may need some therapy. :dizzysmiley-1: :searching: 

I hope it's Jets v. Bolts in the Finals too. 

7 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

I hope it's Jets v. Bolts in the Finals too. 

That's exactly what I'm rooting for.  It's a ratings nightmare, of course, but who cares?

I really like the Jets and am cheering for the Bolts largely due to my irrational dislike of all things Capitals.  The shame, for me, of cheering against Vegas is that I really like the people on the team and the GM & coach.  I think as a group they've just done a tremendous job.  That part of it --the team, human part -- really is a feel good story. 

I'd be cheering for the Jets even if Vegas was around for several years just because I like them, but it would be harder because--except for Neal, who I think is a garbage human being--like I said, I do like their team.

Go Jets and Bolts.  It that's the matchup, I'm going Jets.

Looking at this series I see two teams that I 

underestimated before the season got underway. 

I picked :jets: in 7. And not just because I have an 

arguably unhealthy obsession with someone beating 

the Knights in that many games: Oh, Kings...? Oh, Sharks...? 

:) 

One thing I've noticed about the Knights in the playoffs = 

they don't give teams much space to operate offensively; 

they quickly close down what little space their opponents

do have.

But Stastny, against a usually stellar Preds D :predators:, was able 

to completely evade them at times, appear from seemingly 

nowhere and score. No regular feat against Smashville 

for anyone in the regular or playoff season. Watch for him 

to factor that way against Vegas too. Couple that with the 

ways he's been able to calm and focus his teammates 

& I see him emerging as this series' MVP once the Jets 

win it. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That's exactly what I'm rooting for.  It's a ratings nightmare, of course, but who cares?

I really like the Jets and am cheering for the Bolts largely due to my irrational dislike of all things Capitals.  The shame, for me, of cheering against Vegas is that I really like the people on the team and the GM & coach.  I think as a group they've just done a tremendous job.  That part of it --the team, human part -- really is a feel good story. 

I'd be cheering for the Jets even if Vegas was around for several years just because I like them, but it would be harder because--except for Neal, who I think is a garbage human being--like I said, I do like their team.

Go Jets and Bolts.  It that's the matchup, I'm going Jets.

Amen about so-what regarding ratings nightmare. 

If two good teams make it then let 'em go at it-- 

and cheer away. :rock::excl: 

Methinks Jets v. Bolts would be an exciting series. 

I'd bet a Bolt victory :lightning: but I'd be cheering for Winnipeg. :jets: 

I'm stoked to see such a deserving city have a team 

to cheer for again. 

I don't know all the details about your dislike for the Caps 

but I like to presume that you're not irrational there. :) 

The Vegas saga = an interesting one to be sure. I don't 

like LV the city but there's been a good sports story there. 

I've actually thought about excavating it [the latter ;) ] and

writing a piece about it once the playoffs are over.

See what I can find, what I didn't see coming,

with VGK this run. 

It's a bucket dream for me to see a hockey game in 

every Canadian arena. :canada: :beer:  

9 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

But Stastny, against a usually stellar Preds D :predators:, was able 

to completely evade them at times, appear from seemingly 

nowhere and score.

Yeah, it turns out he'll be the difference.  Not by himself, but with all the other weapons they have, Stastny creates a match-up issue for other teams.  Similar to what Bonino did for an already stacked Pens' team (that Brassard did not do this year).   I think the Jets are much deeper than either the Kings or the Sharks at this point (maybe a healthy Thornton helps that in San Jose, but maybe not enough).  So, I'm hopeful.   But you're right about the swarm thing, so it should be an interesting series.

2 minutes ago, thenewestlights said:

I'd be cheering for Winnipeg. :jets: 

I'm stoked to see such a deserving city have a team 

to cheer for again. 

Yeah, that's the other reason I'm cheering for them.  I mean, I really like the players on that team, and it's fun to watch, but it's great it's in Winnipeg.  

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn't get a chance to watch a single second....life is what happened!!!!

The Jets scored early (0:65 in the first), then again on a PP. Then again on a deflection, originally waived off due to goalie interference, all before the 10 min mark. Maurice challenged it because, as the replay shows, Armia's contact with Fleury came after the puck was past him and on its way into the net. The dreaded early 3-0 lead.

Vegas did score before the first was over but couldn't make it 3-2 which could have really changed the complexion of the game. Vegas tried to play big, throwing plenty of big hits early. And I'd say it worked to some extent. We will see if they can sustain that level pf physical play over the course of the series. Personally, I think not. 

Buff was a beast and VGK has to be concerned that Laine finally put one in and generally looked better. A hot Laine would be a nightmare for them. And he was awful and visibly frustrated vs the Preds. 

On 5/11/2018 at 6:20 PM, ruxpin said:

See, I actually view it as an embarrassment to the league. Want to win a cup? Just start a brand new team. I don't view it as warm and fuzzy PR if a brand new expansion team wins the whole thing. I'd view it as a joke. 

Then again, giving people jobs or awards with absolutely no experience suddenly seems to be the American way. Bigly. 

Go Jets and Bolts. 

Imagine if that happens in Seattle when they get their team.

I know it's old hat now because we are all over (well, some of us anyways) the shock of seeing Vegas win game after game, but just watching Game 3 between the Knights and Jets, it still boggles MY mind just a bit to see what Vegas is able to do out there (and Winnipeg is NO ONE'S doormat!) on a regular basis, and they just don't look like they are showing any signs of slowing down.

Can anyone here imagine if this happens in any other league?

NBA, MLB, NFL..... a brand spankin new team starts play on any given year....and they go from picking other teams' "leftovers", to playing for a shot at the NBA Title/World Series/Vince Lombardi trophy? 

I think the internet would break!

Yet here is the NHL with their infant franchise, the Vegas Golden Knights, doing just that.

If anything, this speaks to TRUE parity that resides within the NHL, and as much as we like to make fun of certain teams who always seem to occupy the basement of any given division, the differences between a team that finishes with 50-60 pts and a team that finishes with over 100 aren't as stark as the differences between a contender and non contender would be in other leagues.

Also, and this has been said before, there are 30+ other GM's in the league who probably should hang their head in shame because some of the decisions they made with regards to who to let Vegas pick from and who to protect, has LED to the Golden Knights being what they are now.

At this point in the game, I just am prepared to see history made where an expansion team wins a championship in their first year of existence.

I mean, I know much will still need to be decided.... the Jets aren't done by a long shot yet, and either the Lightning or Capitals will have something to say about it too for instance.....but really, by now, people just may need to accept the fact that Vegas just may have the right ingredients to get it done...THIS year.

Interesting though:

Are the Knights playing over their heads?  I know that sounds stupid to ask right now...but it may not be so next season.

Let's say the Knights win it all (even the point where they are now is enough to gauge from too)...then NEXT year, they completely flop.

That will have analytic guys (and maybe those bandwagon Knight fans...lol) scratching their heads wondering just the hell happened!

Or they could come back next year, do it all again, and become an almost (gulp!) Chicago, Pittsburgh, or Detroit-like perennial Cup contender!

That question won't be answered till next year of course....and Vegas fans (yes, I know, @yave1964 , you have your suspicions and scoff at the notion :D ), well, Vegas fans will have you believe this team is legit top to bottom and there should be no questions asked....but just sayin..... what will next year hold for this team?

But for here and now....Winnipeg needs to be aware the Knights are looking to steal away their chance at a Stanley Cup!!

3-1 Vegas and looking damned good right now as the 2nd period winds down, as I finish this pamphlet of a post.....

@TropicalFruitGirl26 

First of all great post.  I echo many of your thoughts.

The old adage, “one man's trash is another man's treasure”, seems to be holding true for Vegas right now.  Now that is not to say that MAF or Neal is trash.  What I am saying is that other GM’s had to make some tough choices on whom to protect or not protect last spring and it is paying off major dividends for Vegas right now.

Case in point… MAF.  The Pens had to make a choice between keeping Murray or MAF.  As many of us know, especially Flyer fans, that having a starting goalie you can depend on is essential to any franchise. If you remove the 3 Stooges known as Neuvy / Elliot / Mrazek from this Flyers teams and insert MAF, how many more wins would the Flyers have?  Hell, if the Flyers had MAF, they might be facing Tampa in the Conference Finals right now.

What I’m trying to say…. In a very round about way, is that a franchise goalie is crucial for success in the NHL.  Regardless of the other pieces that Vegas has in place, MAF and to some extend Subban (when MAF was injured), is the cornerstone of the franchise.  If the Knights reach the NHL Finals, you might as well start etching MAF’s name onto the Conn Smythe Trophy. (I might have made a serious miscalculation when I traded MAF to @yave in NAHANA.)

It also helps that most of your players are all having career years and are shooting way higher than their CSH%.  Case in point for Karlsson and Marchausselt. I’m sure many of the Vegas players are playing with chips on their shoulders, proving to their former teams, it was a regret exposing them to the expansion draft.

I am very curious to see how the Knights approach the off-season.  Matter of fact, I am curious to see how they respond next season in general.  I’m sure it will be hard for many of Vegas players who are having career years to repeat their success next year.

But… yeah…. I believe we are witnessing history being made here.

I am sure that many fans across the NHL are seriously jealous of what this Vegas team has accomplished this year.

@pilldoc

Yes, I know many GM's had to make tough choices on exposed players....some even had their hands tied due to contracts they HAD to protect (due to NMC/NTC), even if they preferred not to.

Still though, Vegas has many players that ended up there simply due to the fact that their former teams just thought they could do without them (hence the "chip on shoulder" guys), and some that ended up there due to some side deals involving picks or "leave Player X alone!" type deals teams made with George McPhee...…….the Wild were one such that allowed guys like Erik Haula and prospect Alex Tuch (who no longer is a prospect) to get to Vegas so the Knights would leave a guy like Mat Dumba alone.

And of course, there is the old "give a guy a real chance" type situation where many of these players were already good...just buried in their former teams' depth charts.

A perfect storm for McPhee and the Golden Knights.

You gotta know Seattle is thinking... "That could be us too!".

Also gotta think GM's would burn the midnight oil just a little bit more to see who they should REALLY leave exposed in that upcoming Seattle expansion draft as well!

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If anything, this speaks to TRUE parity that resides within the NHL

This is always stated as if parity is a good thing.  I never have and never will agree.

Moreover, the "parity" in the NHL is a contrived fraud propped up by some games (3 pt. games) being worth more than others and the loser point.

The interesting thing about the Cap and all the nonsense we've been through two lockouts to get to is that it changed nothing in terms of this perceived parity.   Since the last Oilers' championship in 1987, we really haven't had dynasties of the type we had prior to that.  Sure, teams cycle up and down and we've had good runs by the Wings, the Hawks, the Kings and, of course, Pittsburgh, but there hasn't been 4 consecutive years of Islanders or 4 out of 5 of Oilers or a whole bunch by the Canadiens, etc.   And teams that have been through horrible stretches have cycled up.

That's good and in that sense "parity" is okay in that it keeps fan bases from completely abandoning their teams (in theory), but on any single-season basis where 26 teams have a mathematical shot at the playoffs with 40 minutes left in the season,  parity is contrived and somewhat intellectually insulting.

LOL... @ruxpin

I honestly didn't mentally delve that deep into it.....all I meant to say was that on any given night, even the worst team in the NHL has a shot to beat the best...and if that worst team does anything reasonable in a given off season or even during the season regarding personnel or on-ice execution, then THAT team (yes, even the Buffalo Sabres) could be considered a contender, or close to it.

That just simply cannot be said of the NFL, MLB, and ESPECIALLY the NBA.

Not a fan of 3-point games myself (losers shouldn't get ANYTHING...ever), but I still think the NHL has the best parity of the four major leagues in North America.

Of course, Vegas is taking any and all 'parity' rules and throwing them right out the window with the way they are playing, and Winnipeg themselves are showing what a will to win, big bodies playing tough, and speed can do on the ice....REGARDLESS of how parity plays into any team thinking they can beat the Jets.

12 hours ago, pilldoc said:

The old adage, “one man's trash is another man's treasure”, seems to be holding true for Vegas right now. 

I wouldn't say any of the Vegas players are trash.  Vegas was the beneficiary of expansion draft rules that the other 24 expansion teams did not have.  Smart move by the NHL because it makes Vegas financially viable in their first year while some of the other teams are not even after 20 some odd years.  

15 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I wouldn't say any of the Vegas players are trash.  Vegas was the beneficiary of expansion draft rules that the other 24 expansion teams did not have.  Smart move by the NHL because it makes Vegas financially viable in their first year while some of the other teams are not even after 20 some odd years.  

You have a point... maybe trash is not the best term I could have chosen. I simply meant players who no longer fit into their teams plans for a variety of reasons....

17 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

You have a point... maybe trash is not the best term I could have chosen. I simply meant players who no longer fit into their teams plans for a variety of reasons....

Reasons including "Dale Tallon is dumb."

Archived