Western Conference Championship: #2 Winnipeg Jets vs. #3 Vegas Golden Knights

hf101

Western Conference Championship: #2 Winnipeg Jets vs. #3 Vegas Golden Knights   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Series?

• Jets Sweep 4-0
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Golden Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

Image result for jets vs golden knights

All discussion regarding the Western Conference Finals  Jets / Golden Knights should be here.

Game 1 - Saturday, May 12th,  Los Vegas @ Winnipeg  7:00 PM ET    Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Game 2 - Monday, May 14th,  Los Vegas @ Winnipeg    8:00 PM ET   Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Game 3 - Wednesday, May 16th,  Winnipeg @ Los Vegas   9:00 PM ET   Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Game 4 - Friday, May 18th,  Winnipeg @ Los Vegas   8:00 PM ET   Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Game 5 - Sunday, May 20th,  Los Vegas @ Winnipeg   3:00 PM ET    Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Game 6 - Tuesday, May 22th,  Winnipeg @ Los Vegas   9:00 PM ET   Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Game 7 - Thursday, May 24th,  Los Vegas @ Winnipeg   7:00 PM ET    Networks: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't surprise me if either of these teams get to the Cup Finals, but the Winnipeg Jets just seem to have the formula to not only take this series, but potentially winning it all and become the 1st Canadian based franchise to win the Cup since the Montreal Canadiens in the early-mid 90's.

Yes, yes, I know, I said it would be Oilers doing that (and it still could, as Wpg still hasn't won anything yet!), but man, it is just hard to bet against the Jets right now.

Speaking of betting.... Vegas.

Fantastic season. Surprising season. Deserving season. And a season where it could be THEM going to the Cup Finals instead of the Jets.

But no.....I think their magical ride ends this series.

To be honest, I would have picked either the Jets or Predators over the Knights because I feel either of those simply have an edge in every department over Vegas.

Granted, the Knights' overall team game, heart inspired play, and fantastic execution by the players can overcome just about anyone, but I think the Jets will bring size, speed, and offensive ability like no one Vegas has seen to this point.

Beating a big tough experienced team like the Kings was impressive for Vegas.....as was doing the same to a Sharks team that was just as tough (especially defensively) with a bit more on offense.

But the Jets are big, tough, fast, can score, hit hard, can defend, and have a Vezina Finalist in Connor Hellebuyck for Vegas to contend with.

Vegas will be in every game (and MAF will be a big reason why), but I think Winnipeg takes this and marches on the Cup Finals for the first time either as the Jets or Thrashers, and does it in 6 games.

Just a note...I ALMOST said 5 games, but I think that would be underselling the terrific job Gerard Gallant and his Knights have done all the way to this point, so yea, will say Peg in 6 instead! :)

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL. Jets, Golden Knights, and Capitals in the conference finals. Has the league broke yet?  ;)

NHL.exe has stopped.

Abort. Retry. Fail.

And don't forget the Lightning..... how DARE  a team from a state with NO SNOW, swamps and gators make it the Final Four with a chance at a Stanley Cup!

It is inconceivable I tell you! :VeryCool:

Incon.gif

Jets in......

Okay props to the damn Knights. Great story. Still picking against them but they are a great warm and fuzzy for the league tale that the league has need of.

13 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Jets in......

Okay props to the damn Knights. Great story. Still picking against them but they are a great warm and fuzzy for the league tale that the league has need of.

If they make the SCF this will be a big national story....much needed for the NHL.

ESPN may even put hockey on Sports Center! :NinjaLookLeftRight1::VeryCool:

1 minute ago, B21 said:

If they make the SCF this will be a big national story....much needed for the NHL.

ESPN may even put hockey on Sports Center:NinjaLookLeftRight1::VeryCool:

And sadly, not because they would care about the Jets so much, but rather, they don't want to be left out of a "big sports story"...even if it is from a sport they deemed no longer worthy of being on their airwaves.

Pompous asses! :bigteeth:

I'm pulling for the Jets, second fav team and all (LOL). I tell ya, that Preds vs Jets series was some great hockey. Even the blow outs were end to end furious action. Best move of the deadline  HAS to be Stasney for a 1st. Chevy showed everyone how it was done there. I don't know if the Jets get by the Preds without the stellar play of Stasney. Well worth a 1st for a solid contending team. 

I have Jets in 6....but honestly, I love the Knights story as well. Whichever team wins I hope the SMOKE the East. F the Caps and TB. 

and I move to day shift on Monday.....WHHOOOOOOOOO some awesome hockey coming up!!

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I'm pulling for the Jets, second fav team and all (LOL). I tell ya, that Preds vs Jets series was some great hockey. Even the blow outs were end to end furious action. Best move of the deadline  HAS to be Stasney for a 1st. Chevy showed everyone how it was done there. I don't know if the Jets get by the Preds without the stellar play of Stasney. Well worth a 1st for a solid contending team. 

I have Jets in 6....but honestly, I love the Knights story as well. Whichever team wins I hope the SMOKE the East. F the Caps and TB. 

and I move to day shift on Monday.....WHHOOOOOOOOO some awesome hockey coming up!!

Yeah Stastny has been great.

One of his best moments actually came off the ice. Game 3, during the 1st intermission, Jets down 3-0 ("worst lead in hockey!" yells Mrs Podein25): Scott Oake asks him the usual questions and Stastny's response was classic: calm, smiling even, saying, we have lots of time, no need to panic. It might as well have said: we have them right where we want them boys.

So you know he said the same thing, with the same calm demeanor, in the room to those young guys. And they came out and proved him right. And yet people still think the guy who is "good in the room" doesn't matter. It matters, it matters a lot and anybody who says otherwise has never played competitive sports.

@hf101

Thanks for starting this thread while I'm still having fun in Florida.

Will post more later. Love both stories.  Total respect for the Jets. However... MAF is playing lights out ... contrary to many on here... I'm going Knights in 7. Hopefully I will break HJ's curse. 

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Stastny has been a good, if understated, addition to this Jets team.

Makes one wonder just what the hell they are smoking over in St. Louis.....

The Blues were not even eliminated from the playoffs when they made that deal.....yiesh...talk about sending a vote of confidence to the room....oh, don't worry guys, we won't miss this rock solid veteran....ha ha..  Guess they wanted back in the first round after giving up this years for the good Schenn (is that still a thing?  LOL) .....might be the last pick in the 1st at this rate....

I looked at the 16 teams competing for the cup a few weeks ago and predicted the Jets would win it all this year breaking the Canadian cupless drought.  I'm still drumming that beat.

Jets in 6.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah Stastny has been great.

One of his best moments actually came off the ice. Game 3, during the 1st intermission, Jets down 3-0 ("worst lead in hockey!" yells Mrs Podein25): Scott Oake asks him the usual questions and Stastny's response was classic: calm, smiling even, saying, we have lots of time, no need to panic. It might as well have said: we have them right where we want them boys.

So you know he said the same thing, with the same calm demeanor, in the room to those young guys. And they came out and proved him right. And yet people still think the guy who is "good in the room" doesn't matter. It matters, it matters a lot and anybody who says otherwise has never played competitive sports.

Yes, Stas does carry this air of confidence about him, been through a lot of playoff wars and races etc. Chevy desrves big time credit for pulling that off. Imagine if the Preds gave up their first for him? We might be looking at a different match up.

How about Schief scoring *7* goals IN Nashville for a new NHL road record!!!   Amazing!

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The Blues were not even eliminated from the playoffs when they made that deal.....yiesh...talk about sending a vote of confidence to the room....oh, don't worry guys, we won't miss this rock solid veteran....ha ha..  Guess they wanted back in the first round after giving up this years for the good Schenn (is that still a thing?  LOL) .....might be the last pick in the 1st at this rate....

I think they'd lost like 7 in a row at the time of the trade, so Armstrong must have thought they were done, or needed a massive wakeup.

7 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

I think they'd lost like 7 in a row at the time of the trade, so Armstrong must have thought they were done, or needed a massive wakeup.

Well, didn't know that, make a bit more sense. Plus, Stasney was a pending UFA next season and was already making 3.5 mill....prob looking for a raise into the 5 mill + neighborhood. 

6 hours ago, B21 said:

See, I actually view it as an embarrassment to the league. Want to win a cup? Just start a brand new team. I don't view it as warm and fuzzy PR if a brand new expansion team wins the whole thing. I'd view it as a joke. 

Then again, giving people jobs or awards with absolutely no experience suddenly seems to be the American way. Bigly. 

Go Jets and Bolts. 

44 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Well, didn't know that, make a bit more sense. Plus, Stasney was a pending UFA next season and was already making 3.5 mill....prob looking for a raise into the 5 mill + neighborhood. 

It's the Blues...they NEVER make sense.... :ph34r:

23 hours ago, B21 said:

That's an excellent observation. :toast: 

Even though I wanted the Knights out of the playoffs 

before they ever even got in them, Vegas in the SCF 

could get a lot more people into this great sport. :bluehockey: 

And / Or it could get folks asking aloud on an international scale: 

What the hell kinda expansion draft they runnin over there in that league?! :lol:  

23 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And sadly, not because they would care about the Jets so much, but rather, they don't want to be left out of a "big sports story"...even if it is from a sport they deemed no longer worthy of being on their airwaves.

Pompous asses! :bigteeth:

How could a sport like hockey not occupy their airwaves prominently?! :rolleyes:

Hockey players do everything else that any other athlete does--

and they do it all on skates! :o: 

Archived