Western Conference Championship: #2 Winnipeg Jets vs. #3 Vegas Golden Knights

hf101

Western Conference Championship: #2 Winnipeg Jets vs. #3 Vegas Golden Knights   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Series?

• Jets Sweep 4-0
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Golden Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

3 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Vegas gets sticks on pucks and counter attacks so well, in a strange way they are a like a far more talented version of the 2003 Wild where they counter punch and use transition to create offensive chances.  

Yep. They transition probably better than any other team in the playoffs. Didn’t get to watch them

much in the regular season 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Yep. They transition probably better than any other team in the playoffs. Didn’t get to watch them

Totally agree ... Living on the east cost made watching the Knights very difficult at times. (4:30 am comes way too early for me...)

However, I have been able to watch a lot more of their games during the playoffs.  What astounds me the most is not only how they transition well, but it is with their quickness on how well then transition.  This is a very fast and quick team.

For example, take the last game on Friday night.  The speed at which R. Smith showed on the game winner was amazing.  You are absolutely right about the Vegas transition game.  It is very smooth, efficient, and quick.

Whodabelievedit. Vegas going to the Stanley Cup finals. They were 500 to 1 odds of winning the Cup when the season started. 4 wins away from hoisting the holy grail. Love the way they play the game.

49 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

It's been their M.O. all season.  The team's ability to force turnovers with their forecheck and then quickly transition to the attack.  They have speed all throughout their lineup.  Great victory for Vegas.  The Jets looked, physically and emotionally exhausted by the time the 3rd period rolled around.  They didn't have the energy to outwork Vegas in the 3rd.  Helluva series win for Vegas.  

Just now, Jimtown guy said:

Whodabelievedit. Vegas going to the Stanley Cup finals. They were 500 to 1 odds of winning the Cup when the season started. 4 wins away from hoisting the holy grail. Love the way they play the game.

Damn...a $100 bet at those odds would be looking pretty good right now.  

Speed Kills and they play that style of game very well. They gave guys who were never given a real chance on other teams a chance and gave them 1st and 2nd line. spots Granted I still feel like this wasn't all that huge of a surprise that they play so well based on the team they PAID FOR but I don't think I'd of picked them to go this far in the Playoffs where it's much more of a grind. Also helps when you have what I feel is probably the Goalie of the year or at least the best goalie in the west for sure.

1 minute ago, bbgarnett said:

Wow, Jets looked totally out of gas and Vegas took advantage.

Vegas deserved to win that game and the series. They played solid defense and had stingy goaltending! Their transition game and passing is amazing and they seemingly create momentum out of nothing!!

Boy...gotta say...

The Vegas Knights are setting the bar AWFULLY high for the incoming Seattle Kraken/Pilots/Metropolitans for what an expansion team can accomplish.

Seattle has to be happy that they will likely get the same rule set as Vegas did for an expansion draft, but have to be under pressure now because Vegas made the Finals in Year 1.

1 minute ago, MadDevil said:

Seattle will have the same rules, but I don't think they'll have as many GMs completely bungling the expansion draft to help them out as Vegas did.

Face it ..... Vegas was set up nicely as soon as they plucked MAF from the Pens.  I don't see many other SCF Goalie winners being left unprotected. 

6 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Seattle will have the same rules, but I don't think they'll have as many GMs completely bungling the expansion draft to help them out as Vegas did.

I would agree...GM's will just be willing to lose one player...instead of giving Seattle extra ammunition in draft picks and additional players.  But only time will tell...

17 hours ago, MadDevil said:

This is true. But at the same time, I think you need to give GMGM a ton of credit with how he was able to work other GM's and build this team.

17 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Face it ..... Vegas was set up nicely as soon as they plucked MAF from the Pens.  I don't see many other SCF Goalie winners being left unprotected. 

We were given a 2nd round draft pick to ensure we took Fleury. What a win win scenario. 

7 minutes ago, VGK702 said:

This is true. But at the same time, I think you need to give GMGM a ton of credit with how he was able to work other GM's and build this team.

Completely agree with this.   Yeah, any idiot can be given an opportunity.  It takes a wise man (or woman) to see the opportunity, realize how to take advantage of it, and then do it.

Take nothing from McPhee.    Including getting the right coach, if they win, it's on him.

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Completely agree with this.   Yeah, any idiot can be given an opportunity.  It takes a wise man (or woman) to see the opportunity, realize how to take advantage of it, and then do it.

Take nothing from McPhee.    Including getting the right coach, if they win, it's on him.

I'm interested in seeing how Seattle does. I don't think they will have the same level of success. I know that the expansion rules favored Vegas and gave us a better opportunity to be competitive off the bat, but at the end of the day there is still so much that had to go into it. 

GMGM had to go into the expansion draft and draft the guys he wanted, make the deals he wanted, etc. Then he had to cut that group down to the team he wanted, the right coach had to be hired, etc. 

I mean, we went into this season thinking that we were just going to deal away all our top players for picks at the trade deadline. No one expected this or thought it would happen. Most people didn't even think Vegas would make the playoffs at the beginning of the year. 

it has truly been a miracle season and year and the way that they have united this town and helped it heal after 1 October is amazing. 

Lets point out a couple of things that continue to be overlooked from the expansion draft, each of which has been critical to this teams success. All if the experts, pundits and haters keep saying the rules were structured to stack the Knights. None of the players taken in the draft were top line players or top pair defense men. Fleury has been tagged a s an also ran Since the Penguins decided to go all in on Murray. Every number 2 Goalie in the NHL was available...however, Fleury had to agree to go, plus the Penguins traded a draft pick to Vegas to insure they took Fleury. In addition there were four trades that VGK made to insure they took certain player from certain teams. E.g. Minnesota, Anaheim, Florida and Columbus.

The trades that were made were not part of the draft, but at the time were viewed as those teams insuring the Knights would not take someone else. In those trades the Knights ended up with draft picks and Thedore, Fleury, Smith, Marchessault, Karlsson, Tuch, Haula. Theadore and Tuch both began the season in the AHL and were not part of the opening day plans. Take any one of those players away from those trades and the Golden Knights are probably not playing for the Cup.This is what is truly amazing, that McPhee was able to orchestrate deals like that as a side bar to the expansion draft. He had no idea at the time that each one of those would turn out the way they have. The chances that the Sasquatch or whatever they end up being called could make deals like that as part of their entry or that McPhee could do it all again in the same way are about zero. It wasn't the draft itself, but the deals McPhee made to take players those teams wanted them to take.

These trades resulted in the starting Goalie, their entire first line 2 out of 3 of the second line and a top pair d man.

Come the Seattle Expansion Draft, teams will remember that part and try not to make those same mistakes.

Archived