Play Pick'em Daily Read more... ×

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

With current dental technology, I think it's time for hockey players to quit the no teeth look.  I get the rite of passage thing and the traditional hockey thing but the look is outdated and it gives the impression of a lower IQ, much like wearing a baseball hat sideways.  They come to the rink wearing suits that costs thousands and then go out on the ice looking like a Billy Bob.  To the casual observer, of which I am not, it gives the false impression that hockey players are less intelligent.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jeffrey faron said:

With current dental technology, I think it's time for hockey players to quit the no teeth look.  I get the rite of passage thing and the traditional hockey thing but the look is outdated and it gives the impression of a lower IQ, much like wearing a baseball hat sideways.  They come to the rink wearing suits that costs thousands and then go out on the ice looking like a Billy Bob.  To the casual observer, of which I am not, it gives the false impression that hockey players are less intelligent.

Less intelligent than what? Murderers and rapists and wife beaters?

Hey NFLers Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth and Ray Lewis and OJ and Tommy Kane and Robert Rozier  are murderers...but they sure have nice teeth.  Eddie Johnson, Lenny Dykstra and Darryl Strawberry were all great baseball players with great smiles...if you can only overlook their hobbies of domestic violence, drug possession, sexual assault, grand theft, bankruptcy fraud, battery and raping 8 year old girls. The NBA? At one point 40% of their players had police records. 

I'll take the "look" of being less intelligent over actually being it.

That's just my opinion...and welcome to the board.

(sorry if this comes across as picking on you....better AF?)

Edited by flyercanuck

51 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Less intelligent than what? Murderers and rapists and wife beaters?

Hey NFLers Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth and Ray Lewis and OJ and Tommy Kane and Robert Rozier  are murderers...but they sure have nice teeth.  Eddie Johnson, Lenny Dykstra and Darryl Strawberry were all great baseball players with great smiles...if you can only overlook their hobbies of domestic violence, drug possession, sexual assault, grand theft, bankruptcy fraud, battery and raping 8 year old girls. The NBA? At one point 40% of their players had police records. 

I'll take the "look" of being less intelligent over actually being it.

That's just my opinion...and welcome to the board.

Quit picking on the new guy!  🐴

Couldn't find the ninja emoji

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Quit picking on the new guy!  🐴

Couldn't find the ninja emoji

edited my original post in true Canadian form....

8 hours ago, Jeffrey faron said:

So...we now measure intelligence by one's smile?  huh?  I always thought one's brain was associated with intelligence.  

image.png

Image result for sean couturier teeth

• So if you were lucky enough to make it to the NHL and you were missing 3 front teeth, you wouldn't care how you look on National TV.  Even if a few hundred dollar mouthguard could fix it.  I respect that.  Its like saying: "hey I am a professional hockey player and I don't care if you think I look homeless"

I think there are a lot of players that wait to have their teeth "permanently" repaired once their hockey careers are over.  I do think there are "dental" reasons why players wait as most players these days play-train basically all year long.

There is a healing period of several months before the implants are completely stable.

Thus players need to avoid any situation that might result in impact their your face and teeth.   They will be advised to avoid games and practice sessions.

An impact on their face or mouth can cause infection around the implants or dental implant failure and thus need to be replaced.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jeffrey faron said:
  • So if you were lucky enough to make it to the NHL and you were missing 3 front teeth, you wouldn't care how you look on National TV.  Even if a few hundred dollar mouthguard could fix it.  I respect that.  Its like saying: "hey I am a professional hockey player and I don't care if you think I look homeless"

Then there are people who have money and nice teeth and act homeless...

Image result for gary busey

Here is the science:

Analysis suggested a person missing visible teeth was more negatively perceived on all social traits than a person with full dentition. Results were strongest when students were proposed to be linked to the edentulous individual in a personal way, i.e., dating or living as neighbor. Men and women agreed on perceptions of social traits and dentition condition. These results suggest the presence of strong Western cultural values, whereby those who are missing teeth may experience significant barriers to personal and social success.

PMID

18556899 [Indexed for MEDLINE]

Posted (edited)

Moved this topic to General Hockey.

I don't see how ANY of this has to do with the NHL playoffs.

There....now we can all talk about how the tooth bone is connected to the brain bone till the cows come home.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Thanks 1

Awards

I like that you have a woman keeping the site clean and organized.

41 minutes ago, Jeffrey faron said:

I like that you have a woman keeping the site clean and organized.

She must have all her teeth.   :bigteeth:

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

I figured I'd add a little context to this thread.

After all, my forum interior decorator instincts simply wouldn't allow me to leave such brilliant topics unpolished and unfit for a visit from HF.net corporate...…

Before being drafted to the NHL....

snow1.jpg

After playing a few seasons in the NHL.....

Snow4.jpg

As you can see, this top six Bumble is in serious need of some dental technology....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Haha 3

Awards

Posted (edited)

giphy.gif

Edited by AJgoal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My bad for reducing the brilliance.  Teeth or no teeth,  you cannot help but appreciate the intelligence of someone who can reference Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in their posts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I figured I'd add a little context to this thread.

After all, my forum interior decorator instincts simply wouldn't allow me to leave such brilliant topics unpolished and unfit for a visit from HF.net corporate...…

Before being drafted to the NHL....

snow1.jpg

After playing a few seasons in the NHL.....

Snow4.jpg

As you can see, this top six Bumble is in serious need of some dental technology....

So well done.   LOL