Giroux frustrated with his play

Guest Digityman

OTTAWA, Ontario - Claude Giroux moved to Ottawa when he was 14, so he has extra incentive when the Flyers play the Senators.

That's one of the reasons he felt so frustrated about his performance this weekend.

In two games against the Senators, the high-scoring Giroux failed to produce a point. He was minus-3 in Sunday's 6-4 loss, a game in which the Flyers coughed up a late, 4-2 lead. It was just the second time this season Giroux has gone pointless in consecutive games.

Someone asked Giroux about the defensive job the Senators did on him and linemates Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr.

"It's not the way they were playing. I think it was the way I was playing," said Giroux, who won just five of 17 faceoffs (29 percent). "Obviously, I'm frustrated with the game I had. I have to move my feet better and work harder. One of the reasons we've been successful this year is because we outwork the other team, and tonight [that] wasn't the case."

Added Giroux: "Our line has to be better. Our line had a chance to play against their best line and we didn't play the way we should have."

As for the third-period meltdown, "we kind of sat back and watched them play," Giroux said.

Carchidi

You have to love his attitude. Like everyone, he hates to lose but he has something special.

I wish Richards would have shown that he cares as much. Maybe his Flyers fate would have been different.

You have to love his attitude. Like everyone, he hates to lose but he has something special.

I wish Richards would have shown that he cares as much. Maybe his Flyers fate would have been different.

absolutely, and it's that kind of attitude I think we are seeing permeate through the locker room this year. For the most part, everyone is just playing harder and seem to care about winning for one another much better than in the last few.

Carchidi

Ya, when Richards was Girouxs age, he only put up 30 goals, 50 assists and was a Selke finalist. If only he cared.

Ya, when Richards was Girouxs age, he only put up 30 goals, 50 assists and was a Selke finalist. If only he cared.

I didn't have a problem with his production. In fact he is still my favorite player.

It's the attitude that so many had a problem with - not the production.

Difference was, the Sens played physical on the Flyers and Bullied us around.

Carkner chased Simmonds everywhere begging for a fight, Neil pushed around everybody, Konokpa destroyed Rinaldo..

Everyone hates Shelley but he should have been in the lineup for these past 2 games..

Carkner chased Simmonds everywhere begging for a fight, Neil pushed around everybody, Konokpa destroyed Rinaldo..

Everyone hates Shelley but he should have been in the lineup for these past 2 games..

definitely yesterday's, after the way Saturday's game was played, I'm actually surprised he wasn't... are we gonna get ANY mileage out of this guy at all? This is only his second season right? one more year after this?

I dont know how much of a difference Shelley would've made, maybe none at all, but I still was expecting to see him in there.

If you want Shelley in who do you want out? Rinaldo? Rinaldo didn't fare well in his fight but he answered the bell. He also delivered a nice check on Carkner to set up an odd man rush that Couterier scored on. With the G line struggling offensively it was a darn good thing they were able to roll out the 4th line otherwise they probably lose by even more than 2 goals last night.

If you want Shelley in who do you want out? Rinaldo? Rinaldo didn't fare well in his fight but he answered the bell. He also delivered a nice check on Carkner to set up an odd man rush that Couterier scored on. With the G line struggling offensively it was a darn good thing they were able to roll out the 4th line otherwise they probably lose by even more than 2 goals last night.

Be honest, that goal was all Mono Boy, Rinaldo deserves no credit for it. Mono Boy doesn't deserve to be on the 4th line, Schenn does

Be honest, that goal was all Mono Boy, Rinaldo deserves no credit for it. Mono Boy doesn't deserve to be on the 4th line, Schenn does

Couts made a great play for sure,but Rinaldo's awesome hit completely separated the player from the puck to set the play up. Not too many players on the Flyers are even capable of hits of that nature. He isn't the number one start of that play but he definitely had a hand in it.

As for the 4th line, everyone on the 3rd and 4th at this point are more or less interchangeable. But lines seem pretty equal to me with the exception of Rinaldo. Man, could you imagine still rolling out a 4th line with Betts and Powe over Couts and Schenn? I can't

Carchidi

I wish Richards would have shown that he cares as much. Maybe his Flyers fate would have been different

+++++++++++++++

Can Charchidi let Richards go? I have no idea what went on in the locker room or on the streets of Philly, but Sam rode Ritchy ever since he quit giving him the perfect sound bites or the perfect interviews. Once again, Charchidi and his sense of entitlement. I wish he would cover the sixers, because I am not a big basketball fan.

That's true. But then the next year...in an interview after a Flyers loss he had the nerve to tell a reporter, "it's only 1 game" and of course that is completely unacceptable - unforgivable too. ha.

It's funny (in a pathetic/stupid way). Fans complain they always get the same clichés from players, how boring it is listening to them. Along comes a guy who decides to be honest about what he's thinking after a game...and he's crucified for it.

I wasn't always thrilled to see Richards squirm away from reporters and half-mumble his answers. But I always respected the guy for being real, for not trying to be a post-game media star.

Carchidi

I wish Richards would have shown that he cares as much. Maybe his Flyers fate would have been different

+++++++++++++++

Can Charchidi let Richards go? I have no idea what went on in the locker room or on the streets of Philly, but Sam rode Ritchy ever since he quit giving him the perfect sound bites or the perfect interviews. Once again, Charchidi and his sense of entitlement. I wish he would cover the sixers, because I am not a big basketball fan.

Carchidi didn't say that. The OP did.

@canoli

Over his term here he was one of our best players. He probably won't have a long career because of the abuse his body took on the ice (yes and off). But all most people remember of the guy was the one off year he had, like there's a player on the team who hasn't or won't.

@canoli

Over his term here he was one of our best players. He probably won't have a long career because of the abuse his body took on the ice (yes and off). But all most people remember of the guy was the one off year he had, like there's a player on the team who hasn't or won't.

I think it's the opposite. We all remember how well Ritchie played in all situations, even hurt. What pisses everyone off to this day is a player with that talent and desire on ice, not taking care off ice. He would have been something very special, more than he already was.

I think it's the opposite. We all remember how well Ritchie played in all situations, even hurt. What pisses everyone off to this day is a player with that talent and desire on ice, not taking care off ice. He would have been something very special, more than he already was.

what you are talking about is probably why, but even on the ice the last two seasons he was here, I found myself wondering where the Mike Richard's of old was.... and he's not even old

One of those seasons he played with a F**ked up wrist, thanks to the incompetent medical staff advising against off-season surgery. Sigh...

And the other one he had a F**ked up shoulder. But neither of those should keep him from being 100%.

If the Flyers are going to eliminate Shelly then they really need to get a middleweight that can fight, like Asham..

To this day I still don't understand why they let him walk. Asham is a great role player who can play on any line and stand up for his teammates.

• Like 1

@doom88

Asham has a cap hit of $775k. He is a steal at that rate for what he provides.

I don't remember the exact details but I was under the impression that Asham was going to be looking for a raise so the Flyers let him walk. After a little while it didn't look like he was going to get what he was looking for so he signed with Pitts at the attractive $775

I tried looking it up to provide proof but all I could find was an article announcing that he signed with Pitts that was dated late August indicating he was available for most of the summer. Nothing concrete at what he was looking for OR why the Flyers specifically didn't reup him.

I was very disappointed when we didn't resign him. He wasn't blazing fast as Doom pointed out but he was a fantastic team guy who could play the game and take on the more tougher fighters in the league.