Nolan Patrick: Skates better than initial eye test

First off, I need to apologize for not bringing more to the table than a "New Topic" and not having the data and video to back up what this topic is about.

I have been searching for this topic and conversation that was addressed earlier in the season (might of been before the season started), where their was a breakdown between Nolan and Nico skating and the commentator(which might of been TSN, NHL Network, Hockey Night In Canada) broke down the differences in how Patrick skated with a better economy of motion and less wasted movement to propel him much faster and be able to end up skating faster and for longer periods than Nico, whose strides and kinetic energy(?) was lost in his leg movements.

I really wish I could find the video to show in this thread but in searching the web, I still haven't been able to find it, and I thought it would be an interesting discussion, since Nico off the cuff was thought of a better skater, but I had my suspicions on this point of view.

And the eye test has seen in the middle of games a skater looking like he got shot out of a cannon only to catch up to the jersey to see it was Patrick whizzing by. I know others have seen it too.

The point is that Patrick will have a whole summer uninjured and unencumbered to do his strength, skating and skills training with 100% health this summer and having his core fully healed. It's as almost as if he will truly start as a rookie health wise this coming season with the advantage of having a year of NHL experience under his belt and we can see how he truly would of played his rookie year without the weakness in his core, just as G and Ghost did this year fully healthy.

If anyone can find that video of Patrick being compared to Nico in skating, please by all means post it, it's been wracking in my head for months now and I had to at least bring it up for discussion to our board as a service of justice to Nolan Patrick.

Well for him to fall into their laps like he did i must say i am happy as hell. Both teams got good players.

I think Patrick hasn't even scratched the surface of what he can do.

The fact that we saw him get better and better as the season went along was nice to see and only gets me excited of what 2018-19 will be bring.

I can't comment on Nico much since i only saw he when they played the Devils however i think he will have a good career as such.

Coots and Patty give them a nice 1-2 punch down the middle for the next few years.

Thanks for your response on this topic. Yes this is the video that I was alluding to, and I appreciate you linking it to the post. Hope Patrick does work on his body positioning while skating as he said he wanted to be more dynamic and stronger as well. It'd be great if he can put on some weighted vests and belts while working on his skating/conditioning to improve his quickness/acceleration.

7 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Thanks for your response on this topic. Yes this is the video that I was alluding to, and I appreciate you linking it to the post. Hope Patrick does work on his body positioning while skating as he said he wanted to be more dynamic and stronger as well. It'd be great if he can put on some weighted vests and belts while working on his skating/conditioning to improve his quickness/acceleration.

Call me overly optimistic or whatever but i think we will see this kid take huge strides next year being healthy now and finally being able to workout and skate this offseason.

In fact you will maybe even see some come around and say that the Flyers stole the #1 pick from the Devils.

I think Patrick's ceiling is higher than Nico's.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Call me overly optimistic or whatever but i think we will see this kid take huge strides next year being healthy now and finally being able to workout and skate this offseason.

In fact you will maybe even see some come around and say that the Flyers stole the #1 pick from the Devils.

I think Patrick's ceiling is higher than Nico's.

I say he scores 60! 

:bow: :bow:

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'll be honest - I'm hoping Patrick has Eric Staal-like upside. His play in the second half really reminded of Staal. 

I'll buy that. I'd be thrilled (assuming you mean Eric and not Jordan). 

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah, I agree with this.  He was really good in the POs and towards the end of the year.  With a professional offseason training regime, he should come into next season in really good shape.  I hope they get some players to play on his wings.  I never felt like he meshed well with any of his linemates last season.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my sense.

I just think he and Nico will be different players.  I think it will be hard to compare the two of them and determine who is better.    

39 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Oh, definitely Eric. Patrick's offensive game is definitely Eric like.

Yeah, hadn't thought about it in those terms, but I have to agree. Good call. 

Archived