Sam Morin Injured....Again

Bertmega

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

You mean the Zadorov with 48 pts in 222 NHL games and who sits at a -35 in his five year NHL career? That's third pairing at best imo.

Honestly, I hope Morin turns out better than that... That's not encouraging to me. :/

Yeah that guy.

I hope you really are not just going by some numbers as a rubutal/evaluation.

He played well for them this year and even so in the playoffs.

So yeah if he gets to where I seen him this past playoffs I will be happy.

Morin will be more physical  than him though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow.

The post in this thread.

However I'm not shocked (typical Flyer fans) it give us plenty thread material to bitch about giving up on a kid so early for him to only go somewhere else and play well just like Zadrov did when the Sabres gave up on him so early now the Avs have them a great defenseman.

SMFH

Don't look too much into it. It is the slow time of the year in Flyersland. Got to drum up some drama to kill the time between the draft and free agency. 

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope you really are not just going by some numbers as a rubutal/evaluation.

I don't watch the Avalanche or Sabres. Numbers are all I've got. Mind you, I happen to think they're a pretty useful tool for evaluating performance. The eye test is fine and all, but it's also more easy to fool.

May be some other stats would be more telling of his effectiveness? Blocks? Takeaways? Again, I don't watch him enough to tell what he does well or not, and I only listed pretty common stats that clearly don't paint a full picture of a player.

To bring it back to my initial comment though, I do think it's easy to overvalue prospects when someone is a fan of the parent club. The numbers are a great way of cutting through the muck in these cases. There are always exceptions of course. Hopefully Morin can be one. I'd love nothing more than to see him become a Norris candidate of some sort in the future. I won't put money on it though... I wouldn't advise anyone else to do so either...

The NHL is the best league in the world precisely because so few people ever reach that level. Top players at that level are amazing precisely because they're insanely rare. The difference between the AHL or juniors and the NHL is far more than we may realize at times when looking at prospects. That's not to say the AHL isn't a reasonable yardstick to use. It's just not nearly as accurate as we would like it to be at times.

None of this is me suggesting Morin won't be an NHL dman of course. I do think he will be. I just have no reason to believe he'll be elite caliber. Not yet

35 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Don't look too much into it. It is the slow time of the year in Flyersland. Got to drum up some drama to kill the time between the draft and free agency. 

That's cool.

3 hours ago, Bertmega said:

I  think Myers is on the Flyers roster before Morin. While I agree there is no point/need to move him there also isn't one for keeping him around. 

Why would you move on from a kid that is on an entry level deal still?  6'7 defensemen that are decent skaters and have a mean streak just don't grow on trees. Morin will be a top 4 defensemen in the NHL. Has never really had injury issues until this year. It's not like he's making 4 million a year.   These are the type of players you have to have patience with. With the amount of time the Flyers have invested in some of these prospects you don't give up on them that easily. That's something the old management would have done.

5 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

With the amount of time the Flyers have invested in some of these prospects you don't give up on them that easily

Especially when you are right on the cusp of reaping those benefits of the patience of the time spent to develop him.

42 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Why would you move on from a kid that is on an entry level deal still?  6'7 defensemen that are decent skaters and have a mean streak just don't grow on trees.

Right. They grow among them. They're one of them. 

I think people are remembering the broken jaw thing and adding it to this year to say "injury prone.". That's not exactly fair because that was 2014 and getting your jaw broken doesn't really imply injury prone. 

I think he's missed snippets of time otherwise but nothing major. That's going to be par for the course, though, given the type of game he plays. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Most everything I saw had him first round, with a lot in the teens (one as high as 10th, several in the 20s).   Oddly, there were a couple that had Hagg higher, so somehow we walked away with both.   Some mocks had Ristolainen and/or Bo Horvat falling to us, though. Can you imagine? 

If he was really projected 2nd round and you really want him anyway, you have to trade back there.  I don't think there was any thought he'd still be there after #20, though.

Looking at what was still on the board, I think it's hard to argue that Holmgren went BPA, though.

You're right - he was ranked 23rd.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-releases-final-rankings-ahead-of-2013-draft/

I remember he was still considered a stretch at 11. He was definitely a pick that fit the typical Flyer mold.

Hopefully he puts it all together and has a great rookie season next year.

24 minutes ago, brelic said:

I remember he was still considered a stretch at 11.

Yeah, I do remember a lot of us said that.  This won't shock you, but I had no idea.   He really wasn't on my radar, but I didn't really start focusing on the draft until Hextall...because he's both made the draft interesting and the team not so interesting.   What the hell else was I going to cheer for?    So, then it was find out who they picked and then go research them, rather than look at a bunch before time and hope for or against this or that player.   This way is admittedly more fun.

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I do remember a lot of us said that.  This won't shock you, but I had no idea.   He really wasn't on my radar, but I didn't really start focusing on the draft until Hextall...because he's both made the draft interesting and the team not so interesting.   What the hell else was I going to cheer for?    So, then it was find out who they picked and then go research them, rather than look at a bunch before time and hope for or against this or that player.   This way is admittedly more fun.

Totally! With Homer, the draft was meh and the focus was always on "what blockbuster move will he make at the draft or during the off-season?".

With Hextall, it's the complete opposite. I tune out once FA hits because Hexy doesn't do squat. 

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

His 2013 under 18 junior performance is what shot him up the boards especially the Flyers.

And rightfully so he shows his skill especially skating for a guy his size.

It also why you don't give up on the kid before he has been given a shot.

Before this year he played every game in the AHL (165) except the two he was suspended for.

He can play in the top 4.

I think he will prove next year when given the chance.

Isles gave up on Chara to soon.

I don't want to see the Flyers do the same.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

His 2013 under 18 junior performance is what shot him up the boards especially the Flyers.

And rightfully so he shows his skill especially skating for a guy his size.

It also why you don't give up on the kid before he has been given a shot.

Before this year he played every game in the AHL (165) except the two he was suspended for.

He can play in the top 4.

I think he will prove next year when given the chance.

Isles gave up on Chara to soon.

I don't want to see the Flyers do the same.

Preaching to the choir, my friend.   Yeah, I'm with you.  I'd be upset if they gave up on him or moved him before we get to see what he does at the NHL level.  I realize it was preseason, but he looked to me like he belonged.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@Bertmega

I'm not following.  Is that an implication that either Woywitka or Marshall looked good as Flyers?

Get off at the next SureKill exit and get some damn coffee, bud!

Ugh, and to think we could have had PK Subban two picks after Marshall! Then again, I hear Marshall is fluent in German now that he plays in the DEL :)

Warum muss ich diese Sprache lernen?? Ich will nur Hockey spielen!!

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@Bertmega

I'm not following.  Is that an implication that either Woywitka or Marshall looked good as Flyers?

Yeah it sounds like the road is getting to him...

...Bert about to have a falling down Michael Douglas moment....clear out!

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@Bertmega

I also don't recall those two ever looking good in the preseason.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I also don't recall those two ever looking good in the preseason.

I didn't think much of Marshall.

I really wanted Woywitka to succeed (not that I didn't want Marshall to), but they never looked "good" to me when given the opportunity.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@Bertmega

No, I am just being an ass\/0\/

I remember many years ago getting excited by the next big defenseman only to forget all about them.

Hopefully this is not the case with Morin.

In all honesty, I'm not against trading any of the d-men (other than Provorov) depending on the return.  In my view, this team needs some help up front and if you can trade a defensive prospect (a position of strength) to fill a scoring need up front (with a young prospect/player) then I think you have to consider it.  But other than that, I see no need to cut ties with Morin or any other d-man not named MacDonald, Gudas or Manning.

5 hours ago, albertaflyer said:

Why would you move on from a kid that is on an entry level deal still?  6'7 defensemen that are decent skaters and have a mean streak just don't grow on trees. Morin will be a top 4 defensemen in the NHL. Has never really had injury issues until this year. It's not like he's making 4 million a year.   These are the type of players you have to have patience with. With the amount of time the Flyers have invested in some of these prospects you don't give up on them that easily. That's something the old management would have done.

Since he's not waiver exempt anymore, have him as the 6th or 7th defenseman in this upcoming season to let him learn the ropes at the NHL level.

Archived