Sam Morin Injured....Again

Bertmega

6 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I just read that Morin is getting knee surgery once the swelling goes down...do we know how bad the injury is, one ligament?, two? 

I got that they love to keep things under wraps but not knowing what kind of surgery it is....it's hard to  know how long to expect him to be out.

I hate it for the kid but if it's ACL surgery then he could be out till December or later.

I guess they will eventually tell us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got that they love to keep things under wraps but not knowing what kind of surgery it is....it's hard to  know how long to expect him to be out.

I hate it for the kid but if it's ACL surgery then he could be out till December or later.

I guess they will eventually tell us.

They should not have played him yet this year and let him completely rest and heal for next year.  I hate the medical decisions this organization makes.  For every good one, there's ten idiotic choices.

23 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

They should not have played him yet this year and let him completely rest and heal for next year.  I hate the medical decisions this organization makes.  For every good one, there's ten idiotic choices.

Not sure it's a medical staff issue.  Just from reading here and seeing the crappy replay, it looks like he hit a rut in the ice and screwed up his knee.  Not sure if it's an issue of him coming back too soon.  Seems like an unfortunate accident.

23 minutes ago, vis said:

Not sure it's a medical staff issue.  Just from reading here and seeing the crappy replay, it looks like he hit a rut in the ice and screwed up his knee.  Not sure if it's an issue of him coming back too soon.  Seems like an unfortunate accident.

I think it was.  I get their probable argument for trying to get him some playoff experience, but I think it would have been more prudent to keep him out.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:12 AM, OccamsRazor said:

No bro. Calm down and step back from the ledge.

Till this year he hasn't had a injury issue.

He has struggled through a groin/hernia that will most likely need off season surgery.

And now hit a rut in the ice and may have a possible torn ACL or MCL.

Can't fault a guy on stuff like that. It happens in this physical game...soft tissue injuries you can blame them for as that is more related to hydration and conditioning.

His issues as listed and even a broken jaw in juniors you can't fault him for and guys his size with his toughness and mobility don't grow on trees. And he is only 22 or 23.

So ease up on the giving up on the kid.

He should be able contribute sometime next year depending how serious the injury to his knee is.

No Myers is the one with the injury concerns.

So after reading through all the responses on here, I looked further into Sam Morin. I think he is the perfect example of recency bias for many fans, myself included. When I saw on Twitter that he was hurt and needed knee surgery, I instantly came to the conclusion that he is always hurt and therefore not worth the initial investment and time put into him. Just hearing his name on the injury list again set off alarms. When in reality (like many have mentioned on this thread) he has not been hurt all that much prior to this season, and the 2017-18 campaign is an outlier rather than the complete sample of his work. 

ACL injuries aren't as bad as they used to be. Morin will get the surgery, spend time in a hyperbaric chamber and doing rehab and he'll be good to go by the end of October. 

As for those who think he might be a Chara or Pronger type defender, not a chance. Sam just doesn't have the offensive games they have. However, if you like mean defenders like Derian Hatcher, that's the type of defender Morin will be, but with better skating. It's great that the Flyers have a number of defenders with skill, but nobody brings the snarl to the game like Morin does. That's why he's going to be so important to the club in the future. He's going to allow guys like Gostisbehere and Sanheim flourish because he's going to do a lot of the heavy lifting defensively. He's going to be an incredibly important player for this club.

52 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

ACL injuries aren't as bad as they used to be. Morin will get the surgery, spend time in a hyperbaric chamber and doing rehab and he'll be good to go by the end of October. 

As for those who think he might be a Chara or Pronger type defender, not a chance. Sam just doesn't have the offensive games they have. However, if you like mean defenders like Derian Hatcher, that's the type of defender Morin will be, but with better skating. It's great that the Flyers have a number of defenders with skill, but nobody brings the snarl to the game like Morin does. That's why he's going to be so important to the club in the future. He's going to allow guys like Gostisbehere and Sanheim flourish because he's going to do a lot of the heavy lifting defensively. He's going to be an incredibly important player for this club.

Are you speculating that it is an ACL because I haven't seen anywhere that it has been confirmed.

Just wondering.

And yes a defensive defenseman is what the Flyers lack.

The closest thing they have is Ivan who is really good defensively however I have to label him a two way D man after displaying the offense he did this year if I remember correctly he scored more goals (17) than Ghost.

Flyers need a guy who is going to lean on guys in front of the net and make it nbn hard to push him out the way...not to mention his wing span and reach with that 11 foot stick of his.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Are you speculating that it is an ACL because I haven't seen anywhere that it has been confirmed.

Just wondering.

And yes a defensive defenseman is what the Flyers lack.

The closest thing they have is Ivan who is really good defensively however I have to label him a two way D man after displaying the offense he did this year if I remember correctly he scored more goals (17) than Ghost.

Flyers need a guy who is going to lean on guys in front of the net and make it nbn hard to push him out the way...not to mention his wing span and reach with that 11 foot stick of his.

Speculation of course. At the same time, it was one of the articles that I read about Morin that leads me to believe it's ACL. In one of the articles, it was mentioned that Morin will be operated when the swelling in his knee goes down. Having torn my ACL, MCL and PCL, the one thing that is synonymous with ACL tears is that knee ALWAYS swells. As well, with MCL and PCL tears, you can walk around without crutches. ACL tears are different because it's a stabilizing ligament and once it tears, there's no stabilizing in the knee. It causes the knee to buckle. 

The good news though is that ACL surgery is all arthroscopic now, so they don't need to cut down the front of the knee to get to it. It's literally four tiny holes in the side of the knee and basically in and out in an hour. He'll get a solid brace from hip to shin and he'll have that off in two months. Then he can begin rehab. It's not doom and gloom and the good news is that his knee will probably be stronger than it was and he won't lose speed or dexterity in his skating. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Having torn my ACL, MCL and PCL, the one thing that is synonymous with ACL tears is that knee ALWAYS swells.

Meniscus does too.

I tore my ACL/MCL in my right knee and tore my meniscus in my left knee.

The right i had repaired.

The left i tore later and still haven't got fixed and i still have an small egg like swelling in it till this day. It really doesn't bother me that much except when i do my hamstring curls.

So i'm hoping it could be cartilage and not a ligament.

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think it was.  I get their probable argument for trying to get him some playoff experience, but I think it would have been more prudent to keep him out.

Fair enough.  

I don't think the Flyers are anywhere close to giving up on Morin. Typically, all players progress in different time frames. The NHL is littered with big lanky d-men that got forced into action way to soon. Good job by Hexy realizing Morin's path would be a long one. I STILL think he's a legit prospect and can STILL be a top 4 shut down guy with physicality. Plus, they invested a few years of AHL ice time, a fairly high first round pick....you don't let an investment like that walk unless you are SURE he won't factor into the clubs future. It's a FULL 2 years ahead of walk away time. 

As we've seen with Hagg, he developed for what, about 3 years in the AHL before he got a chance to earn a spot. Morin would of done well to have this year to develop more in the AHL but, he's physically ready for the NHL next season and hopefully can put in an 82 game season in Learning Mode.

I still remember that pre-season game where he juked that defender and made a nice tape pass to get the primary assist on that goal. That's the "Right Stuff" right there for you.

All i know about Morin is Scott Gordon raved about him earlier this year about how much the Phantoms missed him on the back end for his tough to play against presence around the net and especially on the PK.

So if Morin can come in and secure a spot even on the bottom pair and push a guy like Gudas off the PK (which i think he sucks at) and better yet to the press box i will call that a win!!!!!!

But first thing he needs to do is get healthy and back to skating then when he is ready everything will take care of his itself when he shows he can help.

If you forget about his salary for the time being i would be ok with Gudas as the scratched "vet"...

I know it is highly unlikely since they just signed him to a new deal but could they buyout Gudas???

So here is a look:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/radko-gudas

2018-19: savings 2.4M caphit-933K

2019-20:savings 1.5M caphit 1.8K

2020-21:savings -983K capit 983K

2021-22: savings -983K caphit 983K

Not sure if it would be worth it...for the roster spot when you could just bury him if you want to and save 925K

What about Mcdud???

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/andrew-macdonald

2018-19: savings 3.6M caphit-1.3M

2019-20:savings 3.8M caphit 1.1M

2020-21:savings -1.875M capit 1.875M

2021-22: savings -1.875M caphit 1.875M

So as i said i am not saying they have to do it because they will have plenty of space.

It is more of freeing up the roster spot than anything. And well the buy out window is only open for a short period.

I would love for Ron to just be able to move one of the two for just a 10th round pick or something!!!!!

Watch these highlights and the way this kid moves...

...i think we will see him move like this again when he is healthy and he knows more of what he is doing and not still thinking so much so let him play and work through the nerves and rookie mistakes like Ivan was allowed to do and it will pay dividends.

Like you will see nothing flashy just confident subtle solid play.

Remember he is a "stay at home guy".

I would say think of like someone said a Hatcher type who skates better.

Or a Nick GrossmanN who was pretty solid in his own end he just couldn't move....if Nick could skate like Sam he would still be a Flyer today i think.

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, Meltzer confirmed on Twitter that it is a torn ACL for Morin. Should be ready by November, but worst case scenario is that he isn't ready until February. 

I feel bad for the kid. This season was a disaster for him. It must be so frustrating!

EDIT - https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/flyer-files/2018/05/24/samuel-morin-out-until-february-torn-acl-right-knee/641701002/

No mention of November at all. Hextall only mentions February of 2019 as a possible return date. 

It’s crappy for Sam, but at the same time, it solves the defensive logjam issue for most of the season. I’m guessing Myers gets a shot.

Archived