Ryan for JVR or Schenn + Coburn

Guest Digityman

A few places this has been mentioned. I wouldn't call them sources but.....

Edmonton Journal

Philadelphia seems the most logical bet as a destination — Ryan would be a John LeClair-type player with the Flyers — and Philly vice-president Bob Clarke and Ryan’s dad are friends.

I can see James Van Riemsdyk in a package for sure. The Ducks might ask for Brayden Schenn. Sean Couturier is off-limits to all teams. And Anaheim would want a defenceman like Braydon Coburn.

Bleacher Report

Here's my proposal. Scott Hartnell, Sergei Bobrovsky and a second-round pick for Bobby Ryan.

And of course Eklund has a few in there.

Supposedly Clarke and Ryan's Dad are friends but I don't have a link for that.

Here's Ryan's contract Info

Ryan's contract pays him $5,100,000 a year until the 2015-2016 season, when he will become an unrestricted free agent.

--------------------------------------

Ryan would satisfy a need for more of a net presence but giving up JVR/Schenn + Coburn (Edmonton Journal) is ludacris. Our D is pretty weak as it is.

Ryan for Hartnell, Bob and 2nd is a little more favorable but with the goalie struggles right now I'm not sure sending Bob anywhere without a backup coming back makes sense.

Looking at the latest NHL Numbers it shows the Flyers have about 3m in cap space. I'm not sure if that's update with the LTIR (Pronger, Lappy...) or not.

Does acquiring Ryan make sense to the Flyers? And if so what would you offer?

I don't think it makes too much sense right now. If we are going to give up assets, it better be for a decent defender.

As I see it, Schenn has not received too long of a look at, and from what I have seen, he has looked pretty good in his limited ice time. Coburn is locked up and probably our best defender behind Timmonen, so I would not move him at all.

I have to look at this trade by forward thinking. If the trade were to go down, how would it best help the Flyers?

I say JvR since his extension has not kicked in and it was a little premature to give him that kind of coin. Next I would perhaps package Carle. I like him, for the most part, but he is a FA at the end of the season and the Flyers may not have enough to sign him to what his agent may be asking for.

And in typical Holmgren fashion, a draft pick MUST be included.

I propose JvR, Carle, 2nd

We get Ryan and Sbisa. I think the numbers work, but....

If Ryan is that hot a commodity why is he available? Of all the teams that would be interested,Toronto seem like a likely landing spot for any DUCK. Right Burkie? Ryan Getzlaf to me,would be the most useful to the Flyers. Everybody on the Ducks is a little snake bitten(Richards&Carter) so trades would be a little iffy. Maybe the Flyers could trade the "The Lavster" for "Stinky".

No TY to Ryan, too much to give up. I rather trade those guys for Weber/Suter then another forward.

Totally agreed. Use JVR, Schenn, Carle, Read, Bob, to get in on a Weber type defenseman. Offense is not our problem.

JVR + Schenn is too much to give up. JVR for Ryan straight up doesn't make a whole lot of sense, they're only two years apart in age and JVR will be making about $1 million less after this year. I don't think it really makes sense for either team that way. Coburn should be going nowhere, the Flyers can't afford to give up any roster defensemen.

I would love to have Ryan but he is not what the team needs. We have scoring and balance. We need defense and not a stop gap measure. We need a bonafide superstar defenseman to replace Pronger and wear the O&B the next 5-10 years.

I was hesitant before but now that Pronger could be done for good, I approach Nashville about Weber. They have a ton of defenseman to sign, have defensive depth prospects and need offense.

It seems so obvious that our defense is killing us. I would see if Schenn, Coburn, Carle or even Kimo plus a first or two would do it. Of course it would be contingent on Weber wanting to sign a long term deal.

We need defense and not a stop gap measure. We need a bonafide superstar defenseman to replace Pronger and wear the O&B the next 5-10 years.

I agree that if a move is to be made it should be for defense. And while having Weber would be nice, I don't know that I would do it at this point. To get him you'd have to give up a lot, a lot of what has made this team successful right now. You're going to lose guys that have been contributing and break up some chemistry, most likely on the forward lines. You could be taking a step backward, at least in the short term. That may be ok, if you have a long term plan to make it work. But with what it would take to get him, and the salary hit it would take to keep him, I think the cost might be too high.

For now, if you can get a solid stay at home guy who can reliably make the good pass out of the defensive zone and is not a pylon, I think that might be the way to go.

Edited by JackStraw

Agreed with most that we don't exactly need Ryan, but if there was an opportunity to "buy low" on him due to underachieving, we'd be crazy not to look at it. Same goes with Getzlaf or Perry or Fowler, Sbisa etc. If none of those guys are untouchable, as their GM said, Homer should be kicking tires. I'd take Sbisa back, for example, depending on the price.

Why would Weber want a 5 year deal when he can get a 9 year deal ANYWHERE else? This is the one guy you actually do want to give a long term deal to.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree ;) I wouldn't even give Giroux a long term deal. It can take a perfectly good player and ruin him, and you're screwed if the player underperforms or gets injured long-term. The team is taking 100% of the risk.

I really don't see the benefit other than trying to circumvent the cap, and that, IMO, is not a good reason enough to give a guy a 10 year contract.

If Weber wants 9 years, let him get it elsewhere.

Even if we were to trade for yet another forward, which would be stupid since we need defence which also makes it more likely, I'd take Ryan Getzlaf over Bobby Ryan any time. He's exactly the type of player we need.

yeah right, any deal for bobby ryan especially the one's put forth in this thread don't seem well thought out to me.

i would however kick the tires on getzlaf...

Any chance we could try to trade JVR for Richards back? He's a forward, but certainly helps the team in all phases of the game. Its not like LA is lighting anyone up right now, maybe they can have a moment of weakness in the front office.

As already mentioned, if you're putting a hard limit of 5 years on contracts then you can forget about Weber.

Phillygrump (think it was him) is right when he said Weber is one of the guys you actually do want to lock up long-term (7, 8, 9 years). He's in a special category of player, a guy you can build a team around, and there aren't many like that.

But I agree with Jack - we'd have to give up too much to make it happen - two (at least) of our rookie forwards (all of whom are contributing at a high level already) and maybe Bob too - plus as many picks as Homer can scrape together.

I wouldn't juggle the Flyers' roster to sign a marquee defenseman. I don't think our D is bad at all - in fact it's pretty damn good when everyone is going strong. If Bryzgalov wasn't in a funk all year so far our GAA would be much lower. Plus all the intangibles you get from solid goaltending - we're not getting. Look at last night - okay it was the 'Canes but still - the team had a different look, much better, esp late in the game when we were holding the lead.

It's true we don't have much wiggle-room as far as injuries go, but look at the callups - Bourdon, Gus, even Marshall played pretty well. None of them can replace Kimmo Timonen right now - good luck finding anyone who can replace Kimmo Timonen - but all in all we're pretty solid on D. Would Weber automatically make us tougher? Of course. Is he worth 3 roster players and a $9mil cap hit? Not to me he's not.