UND Hockey

Jimtown guy

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

0E18D997-6E13-40F3-BC23-990186237086.jpeg

Seems that Gavin Hain is no longer in the Flyers plan not impressed with his development from what I read so I expect him to want to have a good year next season and enjoy free agency.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seems that Gavin Hain is no longer in the Flyers plan not impressed with his development from what I read so I expect him to want to have a good year next season and enjoy free agency.

He was having a good year this season until he got hurt 

For all the positives from the news of returners this week, a departure:

Ashton Calder has entered the transfer portal as a graduate student, per Schlossman. He graduated from UND. He could also sign a pro contract. I wish him well

• 3 months later...

Five UND players who are undrafted free agents have accepted invites to participate in NHL development camps this summer.

Forward Riese Gaber, UND's leading scorer last season, will participate with the Boston Bruins. After he's done in Boston, he will meet with the Detroit Red Wings. Gaber, who is entering his junior season, is expected to become one of college hockey's most coveted free agents whenever he decides to leave school.

Defenseman and alternate captain Ethan Frisch will participate with the Washington Capitals. Frisch, who is entering his senior season, is coming off of a strong junior year. Frisch scored nine goals and tallied 15 points in 36 games, becoming a force on UND's power play.

Forward and captain Mark Senden will participate with his hometown Minnesota Wild. Senden, who will be a fifth-year senior, has had plenty of success in St. Paul already. He captained Wayzata High School to its first-ever boys hockey state title in Xcel Energy Center, home of the Wild.

Forward Louis Jamernik will participate with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Jamernik has played a season and a half at UND and has been an good find for the Fighting Hawks out of Okotoks in the Alberta Junior Hockey League. Jamernik had nine goals and 19 points in 37 games last season.

Defenseman Chris Jandric will participate with the Arizona Coyotes. Jandric, also entering his fifth-year senior season, transferred to UND last summer from Alaska (Fairbanks). Jandric became a mainstay in the top four of UND's blue line last season.

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It’s Gopher weekend and the best rivalry in college hockey is at Mariuchi Arena Friday and Saturday. Minnesota ranked #1 and UND #7 after they tied and list to Quinnipiac at the Ralph this past weekend. Throw out the records when these 2 meet 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jimtown guy said:

the best rivalry in college hockey is at Mariuchi Arena Friday and Saturday. Minnesota ranked #1 and UND #7

Questions for you kind sir.  I only follow college hockey sporadically, paying more attention during the season ending playoffs.

Is a 16-team NCAA playoff too many?  Are there hockey conferences that get 3, 4, or more teams in?  If so, hasn’t that significantly ruined the drama of the regular season as has so tragically occurred in college basketball (major conferences, anyway) for several decades now?

Or does the hockey regular season still mean something significant unlike hoops?  (I.e, good team losing a big regular season game to a key rival can mean missing the national championship like it was on basketball way back in my day.  Regular season was electric for many weeks then unlike today’s snore fest until March Madness.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 1:44 PM, SaucyJack said:

Questions for you kind sir.  I only follow college hockey sporadically, paying more attention during the season ending playoffs.

Is a 16-team NCAA playoff too many?  Are there hockey conferences that get 3, 4, or more teams in?  If so, hasn’t that significantly ruined the drama of the regular season as has so tragically occurred in college basketball (major conferences, anyway) for several decades now?

Or does the hockey regular season still mean something significant unlike hoops?  (I.e, good team losing a big regular season game to a key rival can mean missing the national championship like it was on basketball way back in my day.  Regular season was electric for many weeks then unlike today’s snore fest until March Madness.)

I think 16 teams is perfect. Regular season does make a difference in the fact that if you have a record that’s really good that guarantees you are in the tourney then by all means it means something. If say your 4th or 5th in your conference you probably need to win your conference tourney to get in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Observations

Fighting Hawks not big especially w Kleven out. No one on the blue line over 6 feet.

Too many east-west passes.

Lazy breakouts.

No sustained cycling in attack zone

Everybody in building knew our freshmen and transfers, when they get the puck, will immediately pass to either Janric or Gaber. Denver picked up on that first shift on Friday.

Meanwhile, my Bemidji Beavers split at Michigan Tech. My alma maters, BSU and UND play a home-and-home series Thanksgiving weekend, hope to work both events

Edited by Icechipper
Spelling

3 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Observations

Fighting Hawks not big especially w Kleven out. No one on the blue line over 6 feet.

Too many east-west passes.

Lazy breakouts.

No sustained cycling in attack zone

Everybody in building knew our freshmen and transfers, when they get the puck, will immediately pass to either Janric or Gaber. Denver picked up on that first shift on Friday.

Meanwhile, my Bemidji Beavers split at Michigan Tech. My alma maters, BSU and UND play a home-and-home series Thanksgiving weekend, hope to work both events

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they get swept by Michigan Tech at home and then went in to win the National title in 16’?  Not saying it’s going to happen again but I’m not writing them off quite yet but if they go 2-2 in the next 4 against Miami and your Beavers then the fat lady could be warming up