Phantoms/Marlies

Lunatic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calder Cup Playoffs: Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals between the Lehigh Valley Phantoms and Toronto Marlies is on Saturday. Game time at the Ricoh Coliseum is 4:00 p.m. EDT. The game will be televised in Canada on TSN2, streamed on AHL Live and the free radio broadcast with Phantoms broadcaster Bob Rotruck on the call is available here.

It is a seven game series. The Phantoms can come back. Although I just listened to the game, it sounded like Myers, Vecchione and Sanheim had really good games. Exciting Times for the Flyers!

28 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Phantoms fall 4-3.

Bummer... but it is a 7 game series.... this playoff experience will be extremely beneficial when the kids are with the Flyers....

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And the Marlies are a little more seasoned too.

Not so sure about that.  They're pretty young too.  Phantoms have some pretty seasoned older guys like Conner, McDonald and Carey.  Toronto is young and talented and will be a thorn in the Flyers' side for a long time.  Just like us they are convinced their prospects are pretty incredible.  But so are a lot of other teams.  That's why I try not to get too hung up on how bright the Flyers' future is supposed to be.  Plenty of other organizations think they have great talent waiting in the wings.  Time will tell.

7 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Not so sure about that.  They're pretty young too.  Phantoms have some pretty seasoned older guys like Conner, McDonald and Carey.  Toronto is young and talented and will be a thorn in the Flyers' side for a long time.  Just like us they are convinced their prospects are pretty incredible.  But so are a lot of other teams.  That's why I try not to get too hung up on how bright the Flyers' future is supposed to be.  Plenty of other organizations think they have great talent waiting in the wings.  Time will tell.

It's not just about the players it is the organization as a whole has been in the playoffs every year since 2011.

They have either finished 1st or 2nd in the North every year since then. That is impressive.

7 years straight of playoff action. 3 of those 4 they were in the conference finals and in one all the way to the finals (11-12 and lost to Norfolk).

Been to the conference finals 2 of the last 3 years.

Now i don't know how many players were part of that but i would have to think some were.

Phantoms don't have that kind of experience to fall back on.

That is all i am saying.

13 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Just like us they are convinced their prospects are pretty incredible.  But so are a lot of other teams.  That's why I try not to get too hung up on how bright the Flyers' future is supposed to be.  Plenty of other organizations think they have great talent waiting in the wings.  Time will tell

Well for one thing more of the big forward talent hasn't even arrived yet.

So yeah keep expectations tempered.

In fact only really 3 highly touted forwards are among the mix even.

Lindblom, Aube-Kubel (was suspended last 3 games) and Vorobyev (who has't played muc due to injury and is still not 100%).

The forwards who are a part of the future:

Frost

Ratcliffe

Allison

Lacynski

Strome

Rubstov

Bunnaman

Sushko

Laberge

Then you have Hart, Sandstrom and Ustimenko coming soon in goal.

They haven't arrived yet and are still early in development arc.

But it is starting to turn around and we are seeing it start last year with getting back to the playoffs now and this year in the conference finals.

It is getting better and hopefully you can see that.

Phantoms lose again 3-2.

Doesn't look like Phantoms are getting much scoring help from the forwards.

I guess to be expected when playing a better team.

Phantoms just have to many career AHLers at forward right now.

Not an excuse but just the reality of the situation the Marlies just have more of their hungry young draft picks in their lineup right now too.

Most of them at forward, Flyers don't have many at forward yet. And it is helping in the scoring department.

The Flyers have too many career AHLers and a few ECHLers in their lineup.

Leaf draft picks/freeagents playing.

Forward

Grundstrom 2016

Johnsson 2013

Gauthier 2013

Aaltonen (come over in trade) drafted 2013

Timashov 2015

Engvall 2014

Bracco 2015

Brooks 2016

Marchment 2015 undrafted free agent

Defense

Liljegren 2017 

Dermott 2015

Nielsen 2015

Borgman undrafted free agent 2016

Rosen undrafted free agent 2016

Goalie

Sparks 2011

So as you can see a young skilled experience team who a majority was drafted and developed.

So the Leafs are just slightly ahead of the Flyers in the development curve.

However a nice flock of talent will be surging in the upcoming and following years to help close the gap.

No excuses just the way it should be done and it is paying off for both clubs.

Not saying the Phantoms don't have talent they have a few but more will be coming in the future.

Would love to see Frost, Ratcliffe and Laberge as well as Hart in the lineup but they will get their chance later.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So Frost has been officially added to the playoff roster i wonder if we see him play now.

It would be great eh?   

Archived